Information on possible EB Games Wii-reserving strategy

Who's The Twitch Now?

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I just talked to my Friendly Neighborhood EB Games Employee, and asked him if I could pre-pre-order the Wii. Here's what he said:

EB: Well, we may not even take reservations for the PS3, from what they've said [IE: It'll be a case of getting to the store at 6 AM]. So, we really want to make sure we get all the possible Wii reservations we can. We may not even do a pre-pre-order, because by the time we're ready to do so, we may just take pre-orders. I'd suggest calling the store about every Wednesday around 12-2. That's usually when we get all our corporate information.

So, yeah, he was more than helpful. Post any responses or further information you come across.

I work for Gamestop and so far, there hasn't been any mention of a Wii or PS3 reserving strategy. It would be very unlike the company to not reserve the systems but who knows. The DM has hinted that there may not be any PS3 preorders or that there will be a set number of preorders that can be taken by each store. We'll see when that happens.

All I know is I'm going to reserve my Wii when it becomes available and then pay it off with the 5+ games I'm probably getting in the launch window. I've made a compilation of E3 videos to play at my work and everyone that has seen the Wii has been very intrigued by the way it works.

Thanks for the information.

I'm debating whether or not to even bother pre-ordering. If I can get some information on when the lines usually begin at, say, Best Buy, I'll probably just try to make the long wait to grab one there. The problem? I don't want to have to make the mad dash to grab one with games, etc. Hopefully some stores will be handing out cards to those in line guaranteeing the units, as they did on Black Friday and some stores did for 360s.

My issue is that I likely won't have the cash to drop for large pre-order deposits until August - likely well after the stores have filled their pre-order allotments...so waiting may be my only option.

I dont think Wii will have a shortage, or at least right away. Maybe something drawn out like the DS thing.

Call me crazy, but there is something about waiting in line all night that I almost like. The experience, the trial.

I've never done it, but I don't think I'd mind it. Either way, you may be right about Wii not having a shortage, but I just don't know...I have a feeling it might. A new home console will be a big deal. I imagine the wait will have to happen to get it on day one, but maybe I'm wrong!

I suppose the main thing I'm going to do if I indeed do not pre-order will be to call around at local Best Buys / Circuit Citys to see if they have plans to hand out certificiates to people in line guaranteeing that those people get one. Whichever location does that, I'll do my waiting there. If none do, I'll probably just pick whichever store I think will have a few in stock but won't have a huge wait...assuming I can figure out what the appropriate time would be to begin the waiting process.

all the employees i've talked to at GS stores have said they are waiting to see what their allocation is so they know how many preorders they can take.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']I suppose the main thing I'm going to do if I indeed do not pre-order will be to call around at local Best Buys / Circuit Citys to see if they have plans to hand out certificiates to people in line guaranteeing that those people get one. Whichever location does that, I'll do my waiting there. If none do, I'll probably just pick whichever store I think will have a few in stock but won't have a huge wait...assuming I can figure out what the appropriate time would be to begin the waiting process.[/QUOTE]

Circuit City, for the last few launches, did preorders a few days before. Go in, pay up, get your console on launch day. Best Buy, from the 360 experience, sucks. They hand out tickets to guarantee a purchase (only within the first hour or so, though - if they don't have anyone on line with a ticket, they sell to whoever comes first, whether you're there with your ticket or not). However, tickets aren't given out until about a half hour before the store opens. From a friend who did sat at Target for a 360, apparently they came out in the middle of the night and handed out guarantee slips to get one.

There is absolutely no way that EB/GS won't be taking preorders. They get a chunk of your money now for something that you don't get for months. We are giving them all an interest free loan to do whatever they want with it. Hell, they could just set aside all of that money and earn interest on it at OUR expense.

They will be taking preorders, I can almost guarantee it. They might be a little smarter about taking preorders this time around, but I doubt that as well. Our EB games stopped taking preorders on the 360 when he knew that people wouldn't get it until after Christmas. The DM was so pissed when she found out that they started taking preorders again. Why? Becuase they get the money, interest free.

This is all about the money, don't think for a minute that its not. That's why when you go to GS or EB these days to pick up your preorder, they ask if you want to roll the money to another game. They get to keep your money longer, interest free.

TBW

Well, nothing about systems, but EB is taking preorders for many (actually, just about all) of the games right now online:

http://www.ebgames.com/search.asp?s...=12&Keyword=wii&platform=0&find.x=37&find.y=5

They've priced all 36 of them all at $59.99, even Wii Sports :rofl:

Of course, none of this means squat right now, but I thought it was interesting. I hope GR gets their act together and adds a few of these soon, but I'd prefer they wait until the pricing is right (since they don't refund differences when prices drop on games - the rat bastards).

EBStopFuncoBabbageEtc went a little nuts though - they have EVERYTHING we heard about at E3 on there - Trauma Center, Metroid, WarioWare, Rayman, Sonic Wildfire, Fire Emblem, Elebits, Sadness, Red Steel, "Wii Music", and both Super Mario Galaxy AND "Mario Wii" :D. Their release dates vary between 10/30/06 and 3/30/07, but most appear to be pulled straight out of their GS corporate asses.

I'll definitely be preordering. No way am I going to fight with all the eBay happy folks in the lines at Best Buy and Wal Mart. Plus, as usual, it's coming out in the winter and I'm not fond of waiting in the cold all night.

[quote name='gofishn']I'll definitely be preordering. No way am I going to fight with all the eBay happy folks in the lines at Best Buy and Wal Mart. Plus, as usual, it's coming out in the winter and I'm not fond of waiting in the cold all night.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wouldn't wait overnight (cold or not) even if it meant I would NEVER get one. Just not worth it to do that and THEN have to pay money for something :D. I went to Best Buy on BF at 6 AM and the line was around the fucking corner of the store in a cold, hard, driving rain. For what - a $200 laptop or some such crap. I did some of this type of stuff when I was younger (I don't even remember what for - might have been concert tickets) and I've decided that life is too short. If I can preorder it and walk in there on release day and pick up my preorder, fine. Otherwise I'll wait until I can find it easily at a store (same for both Wii and PS3).

[quote name='io']Well, nothing about systems, but EB is taking preorders for many (actually, just about all) of the games right now online:

http://www.ebgames.com/search.asp?s...=12&Keyword=wii&platform=0&find.x=37&find.y=5

They've priced all 36 of them all at $59.99, even Wii Sports :rofl:

Of course, none of this means squat right now, but I thought it was interesting. I hope GR gets their act together and adds a few of these soon, but I'd prefer they wait until the pricing is right (since they don't refund differences when prices drop on games - the rat bastards).

EBStopFuncoBabbageEtc went a little nuts though - they have EVERYTHING we heard about at E3 on there - Trauma Center, Metroid, WarioWare, Rayman, Sonic Wildfire, Fire Emblem, Elebits, Sadness, Red Steel, "Wii Music", and both Super Mario Galaxy AND "Mario Wii" :D. Their release dates vary between 10/30/06 and 3/30/07, but most appear to be pulled straight out of their GS corporate asses.[/QUOTE]
Hmm... I wonder if the gray bar on the top is really what it will look like or if its just EB concept art. I can dig that, it looks like it will be a lot less obnoxious than the 360 bar (which clashes enough to make me think of PH/GH/PC titles whenever I see them).

was there a XBOX 360 shortage compair to the PS2.

when the ps2 came out , i walked into a best buy at 1030 got a system and left. Xbox 360 was sold out at 5am and the freaking stores didnt even open till 10

[quote name='botticus']Hmm... I wonder if the gray bar on the top is really what it will look like or if its just EB concept art. I can dig that, it looks like it will be a lot less obnoxious than the 360 bar (which clashes enough to make me think of PH/GH/PC titles whenever I see them).[/QUOTE]

I didn't know what you were talking about at first. But then I saw the Zelda Twilight Princess (Wii version) and they do have some art for that:

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=T000231

Walmart.

Sure it is the scum of the Earth but that's where I bought my GBA on launch day.

Walk in...

"Do you have any GBAs?"
"Yes, do you have a reserve?"
"No"
"What color you want?"
"White."

Hands it to me, I pay $94.46 or something and leave.

I'm split on this. Part of me wants to wait for SSBB and Mario G, but I know just seeing the Wii games in stores will make me want one asap....hmmmmm what to do what to do...

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Call me crazy, but there is something about waiting in line all night that I almost like. The experience, the trial.[/QUOTE]

I seriously thought I was the only one who LIKED waiting in line. Nothing beats sitting in a crowded parking lot with a group of friends, equipped with two 12 packs of Mountain Dew and four Nintendo DS systems, for 8+ hours waiting for the doors to open. It's even better when you're like fifth in line and you KNOW you're going to score a system. It's like a huge adrenaline rush. (This was the case with the XBox 360 launch.)

Sad, I know...but it beats sitting at home waiting for a package to arrive in the mail.

Been there, done that...didn't work for me. It was fun for about 45 minutes, then I looked at my watch and realized I still had 10 hours to go.

bread's done
Back