Initial D manga first three vols $4.99

tauruskatt

CAGiversary!
I saw this at a couple Circut City's, so it's not an isolated event or anything~ they have the first three books of the Initial D manga packaged together on clearance for $4.99. (i couldn't resist! >

Cool, also they are at local Radio Shacks all over. They were 9.99 months ago and were marked down to 4.99 during the Holiday season.

why not just read american comic books?... or graphic novels? o wait i forgot it doesn't feature whinny little girls pissed at the world or their period... sorry.. don't want to cause a fight.. but geez.. magna isn't worth the paper its printed on

[quote name='urzishra14']why not just read american comic books?... or graphic novels? o wait i forgot it doesn't feature whinny little girls pissed at the world or their period... sorry.. don't want to cause a fight.. but geez.. magna isn't worth the paper its printed on[/quote]
:roll:

[quote name='urzishra14']why not just read american comic books?... or graphic novels? o wait i forgot it doesn't feature whinny little girls pissed at the world or their period... sorry.. don't want to cause a fight.. but geez.. magna isn't worth the paper its printed on[/quote]

But tell us how you really feel?

I got sick of the "Jap Crap" a few years ago. I do like Luftwaffe 1946 though, but the character art sucks.

[quote name='danny-o'][quote name='urzishra14']why not just read american comic books?... or graphic novels? o wait i forgot it doesn't feature whinny little girls pissed at the world or their period... sorry.. don't want to cause a fight.. but geez.. magna isn't worth the paper its printed on[/quote]

I got sick of the "Jap Crap" a few years ago. I do like Luftwaffe 1946 though, but the character art sucks.[/quote]

Wow... I am not a big fan of manga... but wow.

[quote name='danny-o'][quote name='urzishra14']why not just read american comic books?... or graphic novels? o wait i forgot it doesn't feature whinny little girls pissed at the world or their period... sorry.. don't want to cause a fight.. but geez.. magna isn't worth the paper its printed on[/quote]

I got sick of the "Jap Crap" a few years ago. I do like Luftwaffe 1946 though, but the character art sucks.[/quote]

u 2 are idiots

Just when u think an intelligent conversation can begin... Thank goodness for people like you two. It's funny, Manga blows the US comic industry out the water sales wise year after year (Time Magazine had a very nice article on the money generated by Manga world wide). Why read American comics? You mean Like Ultimates? New Xmen,Extreme X-men, we cant figure out anything else to do so lets milk it dry - Xmen? Please Marvel Comics wouldnt know an original comic if it slapped them upside the head and called then suzy. Look at the X-men, now look back at the early 90's, its the same crap repackaged all over again and other US comic companies are following suit. Newer outfits like Crossgen who actually had some original books got slammed as well and are dying out. Yeah keep supporting companies thgat snow readers time and time again. Thank God for indies. Without them we truly would be lost. US comics are nice, art is great as well. I love alot of US books as well as my Manga. But bang for your buck wise, and for content I would rather pay 7.99 for a Manga book than have to pay 3 - 4 bucks a pop for some 32 pages riddle with crappy ads and no story. if you dont like Manga give a reason why, and if you have a reason try to make it an intelligent one.

KingNES~ my guess is some people don't like it because it requires more reading and forethought. maybe others just can't become accustomed to the idea that american left-to-right reading isn't the only way concepts can be arranged. perhaps others are just bitter and jealous that their wolverine joe-blow gum wrapper they bought from ebay for $600 might drop in value if another region of the world's entertainment drifts stateside. Perhaps they *like* being ineffectually entertained with overpriced advertisements for the super-sour-twizzler-type-sugar-of-the-month club? alack~ maybe they're just trollers...-_-

in *any case* it's a very good deal for manga (i actually made a typo because i think it's actually $4.97 not $4.99). as much as i like my small collection of Namor, etc, for their glossy pictures, manga artwork frequently surpasses it imo. and it's three ~140 page books

oh, guess what? Initial D definately doesn't have any "whinny little girls pissed at the world or their period" as you so piggishly put it. :evil:

it's about racing and cars and guys, and it's really quite good, well worth it if you know anyone who is a car person and likes to read outside the box. ^_^

even i like it a lot and i'm a girl who doesn't really get into the car thing, so let that roll around the heads of anyone who's vision is too small to address cultures by their proper names. :roll:

edit: thnx crazytalkx for pointing out the first thread, i looked breifly to see if it had been mentioned before but must've missed it. i'm suprised they're still in stock this long, either they bought a ton and a half of these packs or it's just that no one would look in there for manga.

[quote name='KingNES'][quote name='danny-o'][quote name='urzishra14']why not just read american comic books?... or graphic novels? o wait i forgot it doesn't feature whinny little girls pissed at the world or their period... sorry.. don't want to cause a fight.. but geez.. magna isn't worth the paper its printed on[/quote]

Just when u think an intelligent conversation can begin... Thank goodness for people like you two. It's funny, Manga blows the US comic industry out the water sales wise year after year (Time Magazine had a very nice article on the money generated by Manga world wide). Why read American comics? You mean Like Ultimates? New Xmen,Extreme X-men, we cant figure out anything else to do so lets milk it dry - Xmen? Please Marvel Comics wouldnt know an original comic if it slapped them upside the head and called then suzy. Look at the X-men, now look back at the early 90's, its the same crap repackaged all over again and other US comic companies are following suit. Newer outfits like Crossgen who actually had some original books got slammed as well and are dying out. Yeah keep supporting companies thgat snow readers time and time again. Thank God for indies. Without them we truly would be lost. US comics are nice, art is great as well. I love alot of US books as well as my Manga. But bang for your buck wise, and for content I would rather pay 7.99 for a Manga book than have to pay 3 - 4 bucks a pop for some 32 pages riddle with crappy ads and no story. if you dont like Manga give a reason why, and if you have a reason try to make it an intelligent one.[/quote]

Magna = i would assume Graphic Novels in the US.. (you know.. the compilations that you can usually get for about 10 bucks anyway).. and magna is SO much more original.. give me a break.. I just hate that there are people out there that think that just because its from "japan" or "asia" its automatically "cooler" or "underground" or whatever opposed to domestic forms of media... personally I'd take Bioware over any Japanese RPG developer.. but thats beside the point.. no .. there isn't a lot of orignality in american comics today, I can totally agree with that.. but are you saying that "magna" is better? I've own some magna that is alright but for the most part it is just kiddy pop garbage. its like watching pokemon, yeah there are amazing Anime's out there (Akira, GIAS, Cowboy Bebop) but for every one of those there are 100 pokemon kid anime shows.. and the same goes for Magna, for every Rayknight thereare just Dragonball rip off magnas by the dozen.. Have you read "road to perdition"? that was an american graphic novel which was amazing.. o wait i forgot you had to read it "american" style.. i appologize for just outright flaming i've had my share of flames this week on here for no reason other than apparently i'm dumb.. but I just wished that everyone would stop being all "japanese" crazy over things.. i mean DDR is old, like 7 years old and yet at every arcade its the only machine that consistantly makes money.. Japanese kids aren't soiling themselves for the new Spiderman comics.. (you should check out the new line, which feature pretty amazing artwork and classic retellings of priceless comics).. that and everyone should read "spirit" and "american splender".. those two are definately better than most magna on the market..

I said "whinny little girl.." because thats all i see who read magnas whinny little girls who are upset at the world because of their period..

[quote name='urzishra14'] I've own some magna that is alright [/quote]

[quote name='urzishra14']I said "whinny little girl.." because thats all i see who read magnas whinny little girls who are upset at the world because of their period..[/quote]

. . .

i can't compute the rest of what you'd written because i was too hung up on that. :lol:

but look, just because it's got a fan base and you don't get it doesn't mean you need to bash it. not *everything* indie is worth reading, just like not *everything* worth reading is popular either. and i agree~ just because a thing is from Japan doesn't make it the best thing since sliced bread, But it doesn't mean that it's suddendly "not worth the paper it's printed on" either. ](*,)
as far as DDR goes, if it helps you sleep better at night you can think of it as a quality game concept and not strictly "another game from japan that's *gasp* 7 years old"....*likeomgthat'sancient*...-_-
i for one don't mind seeing kids actually given an oppurtunity to enjoy physical activity, and i would die if i was making video games for a living if everyone thought in five years my solid concepts were old junk. if that happened in the industry there wouldn't even Be a bioware still around to make new games. luckily not everyone agrees with you. i have some serious love for some classic games that are older then me. if it ain't broke~ don't fix it.

~

[quote name='urzishra14'][quote name='KingNES'][quote name='danny-o'][quote name='urzishra14']why not just read american comic books?... or graphic novels? o wait i forgot it doesn't feature whinny little girls pissed at the world or their period... sorry.. don't want to cause a fight.. but geez.. magna isn't worth the paper its printed on[/quote]

Just when u think an intelligent conversation can begin... Thank goodness for people like you two. It's funny, Manga blows the US comic industry out the water sales wise year after year (Time Magazine had a very nice article on the money generated by Manga world wide). Why read American comics? You mean Like Ultimates? New Xmen,Extreme X-men, we cant figure out anything else to do so lets milk it dry - Xmen? Please Marvel Comics wouldnt know an original comic if it slapped them upside the head and called then suzy. Look at the X-men, now look back at the early 90's, its the same crap repackaged all over again and other US comic companies are following suit. Newer outfits like Crossgen who actually had some original books got slammed as well and are dying out. Yeah keep supporting companies thgat snow readers time and time again. Thank God for indies. Without them we truly would be lost. US comics are nice, art is great as well. I love alot of US books as well as my Manga. But bang for your buck wise, and for content I would rather pay 7.99 for a Manga book than have to pay 3 - 4 bucks a pop for some 32 pages riddle with crappy ads and no story. if you dont like Manga give a reason why, and if you have a reason try to make it an intelligent one.[/quote]

Magna = i would assume Graphic Novels in the US.. (you know.. the compilations that you can usually get for about 10 bucks anyway).. and magna is SO much more original.. give me a break
.. I just hate that there are people out there that think that just because its from "japan" or "asia" its automatically "cooler" or "underground" or whatever opposed to domestic forms of media... personally I'd take Bioware over any Japanese RPG developer.. but thats beside the point.. no .. there isn't a lot of orignality in american comics today, I can totally agree with that.. but are you saying that "magna" is better? I've own some magna that is alright but for the most part it is just kiddy pop garbage. its like watching pokemon, yeah there are amazing Anime's out there (Akira, GIAS, Cowboy Bebop) but for every one of those there are 100 pokemon kid anime shows.. and the same goes for Magna, for every Rayknight thereare just Dragonball rip off magnas by the dozen.. Have you read "road to perdition"? that was an american graphic novel which was amazing.. o wait i forgot you had to read it "american" style.. i appologize for just outright flaming i've had my share of flames this week on here for no reason other than apparently i'm dumb.. but I just wished that everyone would stop being all "japanese" crazy over things.. i mean DDR is old, like 7 years old and yet at every arcade its the only machine that consistantly makes money.. Japanese kids aren't soiling themselves for the new Spiderman comics.. (you should check out the new line, which feature pretty amazing artwork and classic retellings of priceless comics).. that and everyone should read "spirit" and "american splender".. those two are definately better than most magna on the market..

I said "whinny little girl.." because thats all i see who read magnas whinny little girls who are upset at the world because of their period..[/quote]

I can understand how you feel. Personally I love asain culture for it's many aspects. It isn't a fanboy thing, I just love it a great deal and have a great respect for it. As far as Manga/Comics/Cartoons etc, They all have there bad and good. Cookie cutter books/movies and cartoons are in any culture and market. It's part of the times.

-----------------------------------

**Magna = i would assume Graphic Novels in the US.. (you know.. the compilations that you can usually get for about 10 bucks anyway).. and magna is SO much more original.. give me a break**

Actually Manga as a whole seems to me to be more original that most Graphic novels you see today. They cover many issues not even seen in today's market and you have it on a much larger scale (since some series can go for over 30 volumes easily). yes a good US based comic Graphic novel can be great, it even seems more so when we have so much less of them opposed to other formats. How many graphic novels are really released here stateside (and I mean real GN's not trade paperbacks. Trades are nothing more than rehashed cheaper comics bound of in one swoop.

----------------------------------------------

**I just hate that there are people out there that think that just because its from "japan" or "asia" its automatically "cooler" or "underground" or whatever opposed to domestic forms of media... personally I'd take Bioware over any Japanese RPG developer.. but thats beside the point.. no .. there isn't a lot of orignality in american comics today, I can totally agree with that.. but are you saying that "magna" is better? I've own some magna that is alright but for the most part it is just kiddy pop garbage. its like watching pokemon, yeah there are amazing Anime's out there (Akira, GIAS, Cowboy Bebop) but for every one of those there are 100 pokemon kid anime shows.. and the same goes for Magna, for every Rayknight thereare just Dragonball rip off magnas by the dozen**

You bring up some very interesting point indeed. Personally i do not think that it is better cause it is from over there. I think it is better because of the range of topis involved and the massive amount of variety I can get in that market. It blows the variety here we have stateside out of the water (granted I do buy US comics and do enjoy many of them, mostly from indie companies). I Also LOVE Bioware as well, and play their games, but again for me the sheer variety of games I can get from other developers beckons to me as well, I dont think any are better than the other. I love them all and play them accordingly. As far as kiddy pop Manga you need to take a deeper look. There are many books out there that are deep and involving. Kare Kano, Azumanga Daioh, Tsubasa, Beebop, xxxholic, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Ragnarok, Intitial D, and tons more. You would be quite surpised to what is out there. Even Cardcaptor Sakura is a damned good read surprisingly. You just need to dig deeper. As far as rips offs by the dozen I think thats a bit much. Every genre has rips offs. US,JPN, EU it's all the same. But one can say US books have constantr rips as well. I used the X-men as a reference earlier. Back in the JIm Lee era we had X men Gold/Blu, X force, X calibur, X factor, and more X titles than one can shake a stick at . Now look at the books again 10 years later. X calibur again, X force, Astonishing X-men, and more. It looks like the 90's all over again. Marvel went back tothe well again and readers are taking half assed stories once again. Personally I was insulted. As an X-men reader since the early 80's I have seen all incarnations of the teams, story lines etc. An in truth history is repeating itself. Peter is back, Phoenix is back, time and time again they go back to the same damned well and other books do it too. readers allow this to happen time and time again and the creative world suffers because of it. I dont mean to rant, but it upsets me how little the average reader will put up with. They are being snowed and keep begging for more.

------------------------------------------------------

**Have you read "road to perdition"? that was an american graphic novel which was amazing.. o wait i forgot you had to read it "american" style.. i appologize for just outright flaming i've had my share of flames this week on here for no reason other than apparently i'm dumb.. but I just wished that everyone would stop being all "japanese" crazy over things.. i mean DDR is old, like 7 years old and yet at every arcade its the only machine that consistantly makes money.. Japanese kids aren't soiling themselves for the new Spiderman comics.. (you should check out the new line, which feature pretty amazing artwork and classic retellings of priceless comics).. that and everyone should read "spirit" and "american splender".. those two are definately better than most magna on the market.. **

Yes I did and I read in good ol' US of A American style ^^ seriously, awesome book and movie to boot. Also yer not dumb, you have easily proven that by what you have posted afterwards. As far as Japanese Crazy, I think its a case of not having what they have at times. They are not as close minded as we are in many respects and that freedom comes out in the games and media they create. Look at DDR, you think any American company would have done that? Katamari? Taiko Drum? So many others as well. It's like a whole new world we are being exposed to and the younger crowd is getting amped for it. As far as Superman selling in Japan it doesnt need to. It isnt a genre for them. They have no real need for it opposed to what they already have. They have so much more variety wise than we do old supes gets caught in the middle. It's a shame too. I like some of the newer supes stuff dropping around. As far as Spirit nice read as well, and very well done. As far as the new Spiderman I get uoset, There are only so many retellings we can deal with. When will it end? When will we as a whole take this substandard 32 page history lesson and kick it back and say come with something stronger or dont come at all. I am a comic fan be it Doujinshi (fan comics), Manga, US or otherwise. I love comics. But I will not deal in rehashes and well drinking. Manga to me doesnt have a lot of that. varierty is the spice of life and to me Manga has the edge there.

Also thank you, this was a grand talk and you made some awesome points. I am sure we wont agree on everything, but it great we can disagree in such a fashion that we can look at eachother's points and come away with a new scope and angle. I am glad you are here, you are an asset indeed.

[quote name='tauruskatt']KingNES~ my guess is some people don't like it because it requires more reading and forethought. maybe others just can't become accustomed to the idea that american left-to-right reading isn't the only way concepts can be arranged. perhaps others are just bitter and jealous that their wolverine joe-blow gum wrapper they bought from ebay for $600 might drop in value if another region of the world's entertainment drifts stateside. Perhaps they *like* being ineffectually entertained with overpriced advertisements for the super-sour-twizzler-type-sugar-of-the-month club? alack~ maybe they're just trollers...-_-

in *any case* it's a very good deal for manga (i actually made a typo because i think it's actually $4.97 not $4.99). as much as i like my small collection of Namor, etc, for their glossy pictures, manga artwork frequently surpasses it imo. and it's three ~140 page books

oh, guess what? Initial D definately doesn't have any "whinny little girls pissed at the world or their period" as you so piggishly put it. :evil:

it's about racing and cars and guys, and it's really quite good, well worth it if you know anyone who is a car person and likes to read outside the box. ^_^

even i like it a lot and i'm a girl who doesn't really get into the car thing, so let that roll around the heads of anyone who's vision is too small to address cultures by their proper names. :roll:

edit: thnx crazytalkx for pointing out the first thread, i looked breifly to see if it had been mentioned before but must've missed it. i'm suprised they're still in stock this long, either they bought a ton and a half of these packs or it's just that no one would look in there for manga.[/quote]

You also bring up some points and the same can be said vice versa, it can be a pride things, or just close mindedness (SAT word ^^ ) But it does from in both countries. I dont think it is a troll issiue entirely. I think it is a fed up issue. Some great things have been discussed in the aftermath of all this and I think we can see a better point of where he truly was coming from. I am open minded when it comes to my books etc. To me anyone who isnt is missing out on a great deal of entertainment indeed, especially for the price.

bread's done
Back