Instrumental bands?

VanillaGorilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
So, a while back, I stumbled upon a little band called American Football. And I was absolutely blown away with them. Most of the songs are all instrumental, and they are incredible. Just recently, I found another band, called Ghosts and Vodka, which I highly recommend. Does anyone else know of some awesome, indy/prog based instrumental bands? Explosions in the Sky don't count.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla'] Explosions in the Sky don't count.[/quote]

Why not?

There's also Godspeed! You Black Emperor, 65daysofstatic, and Mogwai. That's all I can think of right now.

Why shouldn't explosions count?

+1 for Godspeed

Check out From Monument to Masses. It's pretty much all instrumental, but they throw in sound bites and news clips, a little political.

World's End Girlfriend and 65daysofstatic get my vote as well. The Beastie Boys also came out with an instrumental album called The Mix Up. I enjoyed it, but am also a little biased as the Beastie Boys are my favorite band.

Does The Octopus Project count? I only know one song of their's that is instrumental, but wouldn't know about their other stuff.

Also, does Treewave count? They make a bunch of chiptune-y must, but they drop in vocals and stuff. It's not really techno despite my description.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']So, a while back, I stumbled upon a little band called American Football. And I was absolutely blown away with them. Most of the songs are all instrumental, and they are incredible. Just recently, I found another band, called Ghosts and Vodka, which I highly recommend. Does anyone else know of some awesome, indy/prog based instrumental bands? Explosions in the Sky don't count.[/QUOTE]

American Football reminds me of Tripping Daisy (go track down Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb)

-----------

Holy Fuck is a pretty good band that does all instrumentals.

http://www.myspace.com/holyfuck

[quote name='ChibiJosh']There's also Godspeed! You Black Emperor, 65daysofstatic, and Mogwai.[/quote]I don't mean to be a prick, but I think it's actually "Godspeed You! Black Emperor". Check your copy of "Yanqui U.X.O." -- a couple friends and I actually had an unreasonably long discussion one time about where the exclamation point goes, and I used my copy of "Yanqui" to settle that.

But anyway, he's right. I haven't heard of 65daysofstatic, but Godspeed and Mogwai both have my vote.

Also, I know they're not instrumental, but for those of us who don't speak Icelandic, they might as well be: Sigur Rós. Their new record comes out today, and it's only $7.99 on Amazon!

Oh, I just thought of another one: Dirty Three. They're instrumental, right? Yes, I do think so.

And Rodrigo Y Gabriela. Not what typically passes as "indie", but awesome nonetheless.

(By the way, Explosions in the Sky does count.)

[quote name='siderealshift']I don't mean to be a prick, but I think it's actually "Godspeed You! Black Emperor". Check your copy of "Yanqui U.X.O." -- a couple friends and I actually had an unreasonably long discussion one time about where the exclamation point goes, and I used my copy of "Yanqui" to settle that.[/quote]

You're right.
But still a prick ;)

Also, I know they're not instrumental, but for those of us who don't speak Icelandic, they might as well be: Sigur Rós. Their new record comes out today, and it's only $7.99 on Amazon!
You sound like my brother. He always argues Sigur Rós is instrumental because he can't understand the lyrics.

[quote name='siderealshift']
[/quote]

Some of their songs are even sung in a nonsense language that the band created, "Hopelandic/Vonlenska".:)

[quote name='siderealshift']I

[/QUOTE]

boy i hate sigur ros, those vocals kill it.

[quote name='Arakias']The Advantage[/QUOTE]

+2

[quote name='crystalklear64']Damn don't have the text file saved on this computer....

CoB, Wintersun, Norther, Imperanon.. Probably forgetting some.[/QUOTE]

you forgot mors principium est

edit: oh have you heard the new origin?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']you forgot mors principium est

edit: oh have you heard the new origin?[/QUOTE]
aha!

and no, a youtube search didn't turn anything up either.

ed: oops, i'm just blind. just listened to some, too thrashy for me.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']boy i hate sigur ros, those vocals kill it. [/quote]

I agree. I have 2 of their albums, but don't care for the babbling lyrics. I enjoy the music though.

I also like Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I like the song East Hastings. Very depressing, but very good. I first heard them in 28 Days Later.

I really like Explosions in the Sky. Very uplifting and inspiring music.

If you're into electronica, I recommend Zero 7, Air and Carmen Rizzo. Most of those "bands" songs are instrumental.

I also really like Steve Roach & Loreena McKennitt. Kinda new age, but I really enjoy their albums.

If you're into 60's surf music, I recommend Dick Dale and also The Ventures.

I just realized that there's a glaring omission from this thread: Tortoise.

I can't believe I forgot to mention them in my previous post. I fail at memory.

A Silver Mt. Zion is instrumental-esque in that the vocals are chanted in a way that they are just another instrument. Doesn't exactly fit your criteria, but I think it's still up your alley.

A band that a few of my college friends are in that have gone on tour all over the east coast and some of the central US are really good.

"Hsunami" is the name, and that's not a mispelling. They are asian fusion rock/funk. Just find them on myspace or something.

Not exactly what the OP is looking for (not even really a band...just one dude), but if anybody is interested in fingerstyle acoustic Andy McKee is pretty awesome. I particularly like Rylynn and Ebon Coast.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSnWhsmlGec[/media]

bread's done
Back