Intercooler problem. Success? We'll see...

AngellicLulu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I've had my X360 for 6 months and haven't had problems with it, thankfully. Recently I would get a loud noise coming from the intercooler when I turned the xbox on (louder than normal) like it was broken even. I would have to turn it off, and turn the system back on a couple times and it would sound normal.
I've always had the intercooler connected to my xbox. I tried removing the intercooler and turning on my system and it would not come on.
So has anyone else had this problem? Should I just get a new intercooler? Any other advice?

EDIT: I have removed the demon device from my system and successfully powered it on. Should I get a different cooling system or trust my xbox?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Intercooler baaaaaaad.[/quote]
don't I know it, but my system now won't work without it. I might try that again.

[quote name='Roufuss']Better get ready to call MS then, especially if it won't turn on without the intercooler.[/quote]
I'm positive it is the intercooler because the sound continued after the system was off.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']I'm positive it is the intercooler because the sound continued after the system was off.[/quote]Sounds like one of the fans crapped out, and it's overheating the system without it running. The Intercooler is the likely suspect, IMHO.

Unless the noise is coming from the top of the system, which would be the HD, it's the fan. Unlikely the DVD drive not working would stop the system from booting, though it's possible.

I'd say it's time to call MS about the repair.

[quote name='shrike4242']Sounds like one of the fans crapped out, and it's overheating the system without it running. The Intercooler is the likely suspect, IMHO.

Unless the noise is coming from the top of the system, which would be the HD, it's the fan. Unlikely the DVD drive not working would stop the system from booting, though it's possible.

I'd say it's time to call MS about the repair.[/quote]
No I'm positive it is the Intercooler. Couldn't I just buy a new Intercooler? Calling MS about the intercooler which they deny even helps their system probably won't get me far.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']No I'm positive it is the Intercooler. Couldn't I just buy a new Intercooler? Calling MS about the intercooler which they deny even helps their system probably won't get me far.[/QUOTE]

I think what they're trying to say is you're gonna have to call MS about getting a new console. Intercoolers are bad for the 360, and if you get a new one, it's just going to be a matter of time before something like this happens again.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']No I'm positive it is the Intercooler. Couldn't I just buy a new Intercooler? Calling MS about the intercooler which they deny even helps their system probably won't get me far.[/quote]So, is the noise just coming from the Intercooler? Either I need my glasses cleaned, or I'm having a blond moment about your OP. :dunce:

You don't hear any noises from the system without the Intercooler?

Though, as I look at your OP, you said it won't turn on without the Intercooler attached, right? If that's the case, the AC connection on the console is FUBAR, or the internal fan is FUBAR.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I think what they're trying to say is you're gonna have to call MS about getting a new console. Intercoolers are bad for the 360, and if you get a new one, it's just going to be a matter of time before something like this happens again.[/QUOTE]

Yea, if the OP is correct, the system won't turn on at all if the intercooler isn't plugged into it?

That's not right at all, and Shrike is pretty much on the money I think.

MS denies the Intercooler helps the system because it dosen't help it at all. Unless helping it into an early grave counts.

[quote name='shrike4242']So, is the noise just coming from the Intercooler? Either I need my glasses cleaned, or I'm having a blond moment about your OP. :dunce:

You don't hear any noises from the system without the Intercooler?

Though, as I look at your OP, you said it won't turn on without the Intercooler attached, right? If that's the case, the AC connection on the console is FUBAR, or the internal fan is FUBAR.[/quote]
I only tried it once without the intercooler. It's hard for me to remove. I'm going to try it again when I have some assistance.
But I turned the system on again with the intercooler and I put my ear to the system and I can say with certainty that the noise is definitely the intercooler.

My first 360 died with a intercooler on it. It got to where every time i'd try to play a game it would work for 5 minutes and then get the checkerboard screen freeze. Took off the intercooler and it made it to the 360 logo spinning on the screen before getting 3 red lights and dieing. I believe the intercooler was the only thing keeping it alive if only for 5 minutes or so at a time.... Last time I used that jet engine sounding POS.

I'm on system 3 now and I have a rotary fan blowing on it from the front as it stands vertically. It stays as cool to the touch as with the intercooler but doesnt cause the systems fans to spin faster.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']Success! I removed that succubus from my system and it's working with no loud noises.[/quote]Toss said Intercooler into the trash and don't replace it.

I'd also make sure to keep an eye on the 360 and make sure it doesn't have issues with powering up, or have funny noises coming from the inside.

*threadjack* has anyone used a laptop cooler or anything like that under there flat sitting 360? Im wondering cause we dont run AC 24/7 in my house and trying to find a way to cool the 360 once I get it.

[quote name='shrike4242']Toss said Intercooler into the trash and don't replace it.

I'd also make sure to keep an eye on the 360 and make sure it doesn't have issues with powering up, or have funny noises coming from the inside.[/quote]
Intercooler gone, but should new cooling system replace or will a cool room suffice?

Laptop coolers just increase circulation beneath the product since most laptop cooling is passive. Consoles are actively (convectively) cooled so what temperature the surface of the console is would have little effect.

I'd recommend keeping your 360 in an open area, keep the vents dust-free, and perhaps have a fan blowing in that direction to keep the ambient temperature of the area around your console as low as possible.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']Intercooler gone, but should new cooling system replace or will a cool room suffice?[/quote]

You shouldn't need any type of "cooling system" at all. Keep the console well ventillated.

[quote name='Koggit']I'd recommend keeping your 360 in an open area, keep the vents dust-free, and perhaps have a fan blowing in that direction to keep the ambient temperature of the area around your console as low as possible.[/quote]

Agreed. I ditched the Intercooler months ago, at the first sign of strange noise. I've put a small fan ($6 metal mini-fan from Target) in the entertainment center directly behind the 360 to keep the air moving, and it doesn't get hot.

I swear I read an article about the Intercooler that stated the temperature only decreased 5º F while it was running.

sorry to threadjack, but thought this would be more appropreate than starting a whole new thread.

I have the nyko intercooler, but don't use it anymore. Should I just keep it for the hell of it or trade it in to gamestop and just get $3 (paid $20 when it first came out). I would ebay it, but those things don't sell and don't want to go to a dispute should the intercooler break someone's 360

I use a intercooler, it's like a lawnmower when i start up the 360 but the sound tones down a lot after being on. I think the intercooler just makes a loud noise at first cause there is no heat from the 360. The intercooler is pretty good cause i can feel the heat escaping better, the 360 ain't hot to the touch and it doesn't freeze up on me which it did without it.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']sorry to threadjack, but thought this would be more appropreate than starting a whole new thread.

I have the nyko intercooler, but don't use it anymore. Should I just keep it for the hell of it or trade it in to gamestop and just get $3 (paid $20 when it first came out). I would ebay it, but those things don't sell and don't want to go to a dispute should the intercooler break someone's 360[/QUOTE]
Mine is in my sock drawer.

I think I'll just keep it, as a relic.

bread's done
Back