intercoolers

nekromantix

CAGiversary!
Feedback
90 (100%)
I plan on buying a 360 soon and was wondering if anyone has input on intercoolers.

Tried reading up on them on GameFAQs and they're a pretty... extremely argumentative bunch.

I understand that

A.) old intercoolers sapped power from the 360, thus increasing chances of failure.
and
B.) those intercoolers voided the warranty of the 360

Looking at the Nyko TS however, I see it doesn't run off the 360's power, and it looks to be clip-on. (Does it leave any telltale signs of it's use? If I did in fact get a RROD in warranty and sent it in, would MS be able to say Ah-hah! we see what you did there, voided warranty for you.)

Anyone have experience with the TS? Reading the IGN review it seemed fair enough, and Best Buy reviews it's mostly good, but saw one person saying it melted in with the 360's wires. Trying to look at it from a PC perspective I don't understand how extra exhaust fan's could do anything negative at all.

Avoid at all costs? Or if I don't mind the extra noise and $20 - $30, it couldnt hurt?

Read the 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ I wrote (it's stickied). It has pics of what it does to your 360 when it blows out.

Torched360.jpg

Ah.. was under the impression the nyko intercooler TS fixed the power problem that plagued the nyko intercooler 360.

Suppose my decision's made, thanks.

That is exactly what happened with mine. Thankfully, I caught it before it ruined my 360. I am amazed that this piece of crap is still on the market.

Save your money they are garbage! The best thing to do is to make sure your 360 is in a well ventilated area and not stuck in a confined space where it can't get nice air flow in and out.

grab a few personal desk fans from office depot or office max, then add a small wire rack riser from home depot or lowe's; and viola! constant cooling, externally powered; warranty intact.

[note: may need to add a surge protector with multiple outlets as well.]

I don't understand the hate for the Intercooler TS. Have you guys looked at the TS model? It doesn't use the Xbox power supply anymore. It's just a couple fans with an external power adapter now.

c95ce03ae7a0fa57ab1ff110.L.jpg

You can see the power cable that tails off on the end there. The pictures above are from the old first revision model that did use the Xbox power supply.

I would also consider the Antec USB powered laptop cooler as well if you're concerned about heat: http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Notebook-Cooler-USB-Powered/dp/B0000BVYTV/

I use the TS too, one of the first accessories I got. To the OP--- You are going to get arguments for both, yes and no, just make sure it's under warranty and doens't use your Xbox's power supply. Best advice I can give since that is what I am doing, hope it helps.

Yeah, kind of concerned about temperature/ventilation issues when I get my 360.

My room get's the hottest in our house, and not sure I wanna run up the electric bill having my window AC on 24/7.

Suppose I still have a few days before I decide what I'm doing, and maybe I've just let the naysayers let me believe the 360 is a ticking time bomb waiting to die.

Appreciate the input.

bread's done
Back