Internet connection is going whack.. please help :D

sailorchrono

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
Well, since last night (out of nowhere), my internet connection has started dying every 20-30 minutes. It still shows me as "connected" to my wireless network, but I can't actually go to any websites or play any online games until I manually disconnect and reconnect. Then the problem repeats itself.

I figured this was probably because I had left my laptop/modem/wireless router on for a few days without shutting anything off, so before I went to sleep last night, I disconnected the wires for everything and turned off my laptop. When I woke up this morning, I reconnected everything and the problem reared its ugly head again. :(

I've already unchecked the power management in the device manager and I haven't tinkered with anything at all, so I can't figure out why this problem just started last night. For reference, I have Windows XP and a Dell laptop. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! ^^;

I've had loads of problems exactly like that. We ended up getting a new modem and router and the internet stopped disconnecting (it was the modems fault but our router was just crappy and old). I'm sure you want a free method but nothing we tried ever worked and the problem definitely didn't go away by itself.

Yeah, I was thinking the modem might be too old too; we've had it for years and it's been dropped a bunch of times :( but it's strange that that it just started last night and not before.. *sighs* Do you think we could call VerizonDSL up and complain for a free new modem? Heh. Oh, and what were some of the free suggestions you've tried?

is it just your laptop or are all computers/internet devices having the same problem?

edit: did you try the old reset the router and modem trick already?

Yep, I've already tried the old modem and reset... I haven't actually tested all the other computers yet.. -_-; so I guess I'll have to get on that.. I will update when I find out ^^;

Funny, my Westell 6100 DSL modem starting acting up two nights ago. I have Verizon too. I did the reset button trick, then learned the hard way how to do a password reset through Westell's site. lol. It worked for me at least.

Try the other computers and see if they are having a problem as well. If they are, call Verizon and say that your modem is acting up, and that you need a new one. They should send you a new one free.

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']Try the other computers and see if they are having a problem as well. If they are, call Verizon and say that your modem is acting up, and that you need a new one. They should send you a new one free.[/QUOTE]

Actually, if it's slow on the other computers as well you would want to bypass the router first to see if that helps before you even bother calling Verizon or your ISP. Any half-decent repair rep will ask you to bypass the router anyway since it's a basic troubleshooting step for connection/speed issues. If the problem continues with the modem directly to one computer it could potentially be the modem at that point or the signal (or lack thereof) it's receiving.

bread's done
Back