Internet Connection Problems

Liquid 2

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Recently, I installed an nLited version of XP SP3 to my computer. It runs great, has a low foot print, etc, except for when I run uTorrent 1770.

When I run uTorrent, my connection dies every 5-10 minutes, for what seems to be no reason.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening?

Let me guess, your router is a Linksys WRT54G or its close variant.

This is very likely a router issue, I've experienced this before with uTorrent as well as BitComet. I was able to fix my problem by switching to Netgear routers. But I believe flashing your current router to DD-WRT firmware would also work, depending on your router model and revision of course.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Let me guess, your router is a Linksys WRT54G or its close variant.

This is very likely a router issue, I've experienced this before with uTorrent as well as BitComet. I was able to fix my problem by switching to Netgear routers. But I believe flashing your current router to DD-WRT firmware would also work, depending on your router model and revision of course.[/QUOTE]D-Link 524.

Does that change things? Before I used my nLite distro, I never had this issue, and I've had this router for years.

[quote name='option.iv']Mind sharing the ini file for your nLite xp?[/QUOTE]
I need to find it first.

I'm assuming you only have one computer on your network, otherwise I would've asked to see if you were to download from uTorrent on another computer the problem will still occur.

When the internet connection dies, is the router resetting itself? As in, are the lights on the router flashing as if someone just unplugged and replugged the power adapter?

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I'm assuming you only have one computer on your network, otherwise I would've asked to see if you were to download from uTorrent on another computer the problem will still occur.

When the internet connection dies, is the router resetting itself? As in, are the lights on the router flashing as if someone just unplugged and replugged the power adapter?[/QUOTE]

We usually have 5-6 computers on our network. ;)
Currently though, we have no more than 3.

The lights don't change--but the status light is perpetually blinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
It being a new problem doesn't really narrow down the possible causes, electrical components rarely age well, performance can change quite drastically.

The three most likely causes of your problem, in descending likelihood...

1. Your router can't handle so many demanding simultaneous connections. Upgrade the router.

2. Your modem sucks. Replace the modem.

3. Your ISP is throttling torrent traffic in some dumb way. Switch ISPs.

To determine between 1 & 2, try torrenting when connected directly to the modem (disconnect the router).

bread's done
Back