Internet not connecting to my pc

sublime90

CAGiversary!
maybe a CAG can help me here. i have 2 PC's hooked up to the same router for internet access. 1 pc has internet access and the other doesn't. on the one that doesnt it says "local area connection 5, limited or no connectivity" i tried "repairing" with no luck, i checked my hardware settings and under network adapters it has mine listed as working properly. ive tried a lot of things from unplugging and restarting and still no luck. any ideas what suddenly went wrong and why my main pc decided to not get internet. thanks

[quote name='sublime90']maybe a CAG can help me here. i have 2 PC's hooked up to the same router for internet access. 1 pc has internet access and the other doesn't. on the one that doesnt it says "local area connection 5, limited or no connectivity" i tried "repairing" with no luck, i checked my hardware settings and under network adapters it has mine listed as working properly. ive tried a lot of things from unplugging and restarting and still no luck. any ideas what suddenly went wrong and why my main pc decided to not get internet. thanks[/QUOTE]
Did you happen to uninstall any Symantec/Norton products lately?

nope. the only thing that happened was our internet was out all day, when it came back on it decided not to work in my room. works on the pc in the living room and my xbox which happen to be connected to the same router, but no dice in my room. it automatically changed my ip to a 165.254 number instead of 192.168 which is what its suppose to be. ive been googling all night trying to figure out how to change my DHCP settings but nothing is working yet.

When you get the 165.254 number, it means that your PC was unable to acquire an IP address from the router via DHCP.

Bad cable? Loose connector? Try swapping cables with the other PC.

Try setting your IP address manually and see if you can ping the router.

[quote name='m6oo']When you get the 165.254 number, it means that your PC was unable to acquire an IP address from the router via DHCP.

Bad cable? Loose connector? Try swapping cables with the other PC.

Try setting your IP address manually and see if you can ping the router.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this, except if you check again, you'll see 169.254, not 165.254.

You should be able to setup a static IP without any issues. Use something like 192.168.1.35 or 192.168.0.35, depending on what your router uses.

i tried that and still no dice. i tried clicking "repair" and it stops with an error saying "unable to clear DNS cache" also i ran a system diagnostics scan and everything came up clean except for 1 thing.......Nvidia nforce MCP networking controller -FAILED

when i manually type in an IP adress it says connected....manually but under internet activity im recieving 0. is my graphic card messing things up here?

It's possible the DNS/DHCP client is not set to automatic anymore for whatever reason. So let's make sure that it isn't the issue here before you think about spending money on a new nic card as this often fixes issues with dnscache being unable to clear.

You need to get to administrator tools which is located in one of a few possible places depending on your version of Windows or you can go to Start -> Run and type in "services.msc" to open up the window. Here's the other locations you can reach Administrative Tools at:

1) Start -> Control Panel (Classic View) -> Administrative Tools
2) Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools
3) Start -> Administrative Tools
4) Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools
5) Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Administrative Tools

If it's not located in any of those, right click an empty space on you task bar (the bar at the bottom of your screen) and go to properties. From there go to the Start Menu tab and select Customize. Now in the list look for System Administrative Tools and put it in the start menu.

Now go to the Administrative Tools folder and select Services from the list. Scroll down the list to DNS Client and ensure it's set to automatic and enabled. If it isn't, double click it and you'll be in its properties. From there set the Startup type to automatic. This should also be set to automatic for the DHCP client. Then reboot and it should work.

Last edited by a moderator:
happy to report im back online. i uninstalled the newest nvidia driver and just unplugged everything for about 20 mins. (i know it seems obvious but that was the first thing i did 2 days ago!) and plugged it all back up and its working like a charm again. thanks

bread's done
Back