Interracial Marriage on the Rise.

One big difference in recent times is that Asian men are now officially allowed to be attractive by the arbiters in the media.

Compare the non-white male stars of the original Hawaii 5-0 to the version now in production. In the past there was always some kind of qualifier attached to these characters. They couldn't just be another guy in the gang of good guys. The career opportunities for a guy like Daniel Dae Kim have changed a great deal while he is still young enough to enjoy it.

[quote name='epobirs']One big difference in recent times is that Asian men are now officially allowed to be attractive by the arbiters in the media.[/QUOTE]
But for women it's less about attractiveness and more about stability and earning power. Women are also more likely than men to value high intelligence in a potential mate. Asian men, on average, tend to be higher earners and more intelligent.

[quote name='Spokker']But for women it's less about attractiveness and more about stability and earning power. Women are also more likely than men to value high intelligence in a potential mate. Asian men, on average, tend to be higher earners and more intelligent.[/QUOTE]

For adult women, perhaps. For teenage girls? Please.

And all too many 'women' function as teenage girls well into their third or fourth decade. Thus the 30-something women gushing over the Twilight books.

A bit over half our species is female. A much smaller subset of those in their years of actively seeking or exploiting mates can be called adult women.

[quote name='Spokker']But for women it's less about attractiveness and more about stability and earning power. Women are also more likely than men to value high intelligence in a potential mate. Asian men, on average, tend to be higher earners and more intelligent.[/QUOTE]
Ha! What? Shit, do you use stereotypes to justify everything?

As intelligent as you may say Asian men may be, they still make more than 25% less than that whites males on average and have less representation as you move up the management ladder. edit: It's almost as if there are other factors than being smart and having money!

I am Hispanic and I am at the bottom of the charts, so..... since I have no wife that means that 35k is cut in half then? So that means I'm 17.5ish I am poor. I think this is interesting to see more interracial marriages as long as they are happy together and raise their children to the best they could.

[quote name='dohdough']
As intelligent as you may say Asian men may be, they still make more than 25% less than that whites males on average and have less representation as you move up the management ladder.[/QUOTE]Asians and whites are neck and neck on income depending on the different criteria. For the 2007 data: http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2010/2010015/indicator7_29.asp
Among males, Asians and Whites had higher median incomes ($52,000 and $50,000, respectively) than males of other racial/ethnic groups

Whites make more when you look at bachelor's degrees.
Among those with at least a bachelor's degree, the median income was $71,000 for White males and $69,000 for Asian males, compared with $55,000 for Black males and $54,000 for Hispanic males.
It's still not the case that Asian men make over 25% less than white men. The worst statistic I've seen is 12% less among men with a bachelor's.

[quote name='Spokker']Asians and whites are neck and neck on income depending on the different criteria. For the 2007 data: http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2010/2010015/indicator7_29.asp

Whites make more when you look at bachelor's degrees.
It's still not the case that Asian men make over 25% less than white men. The worst statistic I've seen is 12% less among men with a bachelor's.[/QUOTE]
You're only accurate when it comes to college degrees and comparing whites and Asians. When you see that a white hs drop out makes more than everyone with a hs diploma, we have an issue. And when we have white males with hs diplomas out earning everyone with an Associates, we have an even bigger problem. The disparity becomes much more clear when you disaggregate by occupation and field.

[quote name='Spokker']White high school dropouts ($20,457) do not make more than black high school graduates ($26,970).

White high school graduates ($31,429) do not make more money than black two-year college graduates ($33,734).

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0232.pdf[/QUOTE]
Ok, so how about you tell me which source you cited is incorrect?

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2010/2010015/indicator7_29.asp

Zz2B0ZOgY464cD8+rytMx6WDVgiO2LQgYAAAgBRAwAABACiBgAACAFEDAAAAAKYCAAQAAUgABAwAApAACBgAASAEEDAAAkAIIGAAAIAUQMAAAQAogYAAAgBRAwAAAACmAgAEAAFIAAQMAAKQAAgYAAEgBBAwAAJACCBgAACAFEDAAAEAKIGAAAIAUQMAAAAAp8P8BveInP55Qw3EAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

And are we now going to go through a debate of mean vs median?

[quote name='GBAstar']Come on man. Don't let facts get in the way of a full blown agenda! Let the black man be angry!!![/QUOTE]
Right! It's not like Spokker cited 2 sources that conflict with eachother or anything!

Btw, I'm not black, but I guess it's easy to assume so because only black people with chips on their shoulders talk about racism amirite...:roll:

[quote name='dohdough']Right! It's not like Spokker cited 2 sources that conflict with eachother or anything!

Btw, I'm not black, but I guess it's easy to assume so because only black people with chips on their shoulders talk about racism amirite...:roll:[/QUOTE]

Whatever race you are, you are way too angry. And your constant need to bring race and society into EVERYTHING is getting old.

edit: I'm so confused here. Dohdoh plays the role of the angry black militant even though he's not black. Meanwhile, spokker is a hispanic dude who plays the role of put upon white guy who thinks the government is giving too many handouts to minorities.

WTF

In any case, can we have our OT forum back? Can you idiots arguing about race move this shit over to the vs forum? It's much better over there.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']Whatever race you are, you are way too angry. And your constant need to bring race and society into EVERYTHING is getting old.

As for Spokker, I assume he's an angry and sad white guy who thinks everyone else gets a leg up in society except him because of government handouts or this policy or another. ( I think I saw him actually say that asians get preferential treatment in college applications, which is entirely laughable since asians aren't even considered "minorities" when applying to a good college. ) His act is tiresome as well.

Can we have our OT forum back? Can you idiots arguing about race move this shit over to the vs forum? It's much better over there.[/QUOTE]

Your whining about it is growing old too. How about you just put me on ignore and save yourself the frustration. Not to mention that the OP started this thread in the OT forum. If you want to be pissed about it, be pissed at the OP.

Spokker also said that he is Hispanic like at least twice in this thread.

dohdoh - is there any truth to the rumor that you're Kamron from YBT? (aka Jamal from House Party 2?)

edit: where did spokker say he was hispanic in this thread?

Didn't really think this was anything to "vs" (read: argue) about. But it is a good reminder of why I have dohdough on ignore.

[quote name='confoosious']dohdoh - is there any truth to the rumor that you're Kamron from YBT? (aka Jamal from House Party 2?)
[/QUOTE]

I'm already crushed, since I was unaware dohdoh wasn't black until this thread.
I liked reading his posts with the voice of Katt Williams (with a touch Julius Carry) in my head; I really don't want to replace it with Brad Gluckman's.

Say it ain't so dohdoh!?!

[quote name='confoosious']dohdoh - is there any truth to the rumor that you're Kamron from YBT? (aka Jamal from House Party 2?)[/QUOTE]
Sorry to disappoint, but no, I'm not of that persuasion either.

edit: where did spokker say he was hispanic in this thread?
I just checked and I was wrong here. He actually mentioned it a few times in another thread in vs. and not in this thread.

[quote name='eldergamer']Didn't really think this was anything to "vs" (read: argue) about. But it is a good reminder of why I have dohdough on ignore.[/QUOTE]
Ha?

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I'm already crushed, since I was unaware dohdoh wasn't black until this thread.
I liked reading his posts with the voice of Katt Williams (with a touch Julius Carry) in my head; I really don't want to replace it with Brad Gluckman's.

Say it ain't so dohdoh!?![/QUOTE]
It ain't so. In matter of fact, you should imagine my posts with the most militant black male voice you can think of...someone that makes Malcolm X look like Wayne Brady.

[quote name='dohdough']
And are we now going to go through a debate of mean vs median?[/QUOTE]

There are pros and cons of using both. We often use the median income to paint a better picture of those incomes in the middle, as income distribution is so skewed in this country.

In this case, using the median might mask those gains made as blacks have moved into higher income brackets.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0104552.html

As legitimate barriers have been broken down, blacks have been making gains into those 50k and up brackets. This would skew the mean higher.

When using the median, your original claim is correct, but this doesn't say too much about the workers' academic performance, years of work experience or other qualities. A high school graduate can mean anything from a D-student to an A-student, for example. Controlling for high school GPA might erode some of the wage gap due to discrimination.

I attended a presentation on racial differences in community college transfer rates. Without any controls, blacks were 7.4 percentage points less likely to transfer from a California community college to university than whites were. Once you control for background variables, individual goals (the students are asked if they are planning to go to university), academic performance and community (I don't remember what this was exactly), the gap narrows to next to nothing. The actual number was .47, which means blacks are .47 percentage points more likely to transfer, all other things being equal. This suggests that black students that are eligible, that are qualified, are not being barred from transferring.

The same study also included Asians. Without any controls, Asians were 11.4 percentage points more likely to transfer than whites. After the controls, they were 8.9 percentage points more likely to transfer, suggesting an innate desirability of Asian students over white students. It might be discrimination or some other variable left out.

So when we look at incomes, something similar might be going on, but who knows. In this study, the average GPA for black students was 1.85 and the average for Asians was 2.55. Whites had 2.48. This suggests that even though whites do almost as good as Asian students, Asians are much more likely to transfer and be accepted to university from California junior college.

To put this back on topic...
(like college transfer or mean vs median income has anything to do with marriage)

Have you dated/married outside of your race? Why or why not? did you experience any difficulties?

[quote name='eldergamer']To put this back on topic...
(like college transfer or mean vs median income has anything to do with marriage)

Have you dated/married outside of your race? Why or why not? did you experience any difficulties?[/QUOTE]
Are you sure you want to go this route? This thread is already a little creepy and looks like it about to take a sharp turn towards fetishism.

[quote name='eldergamer']You'll notice that Asian women marry out of their race at about 2 to 1 Asian males. And Black men marry outside nearly 3 to 1 compared to black females.[/QUOTE]

well if youve ever dated black chicks youd get why lol. seriously if you dont have money many dont want to be bothered with you but all hell breaks loose if they see you with someone of another race then all of the sudden youre a sellout. thats why i dont hate on pro athletes for picking up chicks from other race when they blow up.

holy shit dohdough isnt black ? wow first i learn girls dont have tickle fights at slumber parties and now this lol. seriously though i always thought you were. then again i thought bigpimpinc was too.

[quote name='lokizz']well if youve ever dated black chicks youd get why lol. seriously if you dont have money many dont want to be bothered with you but all hell breaks loose if they see you with someone of another race then all of the sudden youre a sellout. thats why i dont hate on pro athletes for picking up chicks from other race when they blow up.[/QUOTE]
Ummm...he's married to one, dude.

I don't understand why discussions of race use categories like "white" and "Asian", which show all of the nuance of the 50's when ostensibly measuring our distance from that era. Korean and Japanese marriage seems like it would be a huge deal, at least to the couple's extended family, but that wouldn't show up in any race-based study because everyone involved has slanted eyes and looks kind of yellow.

An Irish immigrant, an Israeli citizen, and two students from South Dakota and South Africa, respectively, become a bunch of white guys when they apply to college, except when considering citizenship. Multigenerational African-Americans have much more in common with other Americans of any color than they have had with Africans for a while now.

While I guess the data are nice, I'm not sure that white people marrying yellow or black people is supposed to be noteworthy in 2012, or that it is noteworthy in any sense once you define diversity as something other than melanin concentration.

otoh, a rising rate of marriage between hetero- and homosexuals would be undeniable progress.

[quote name='diaeresis']I don't understand why discussions of race use categories like "white" and "Asian", which show all of the nuance of the 50's when ostensibly measuring our distance from that era. Korean and Japanese marriage seems like it would be a huge deal, at least to the couple's extended family, but that wouldn't show up in any race-based study because everyone involved has slanted eyes and looks kind of yellow.

An Irish immigrant, an Israeli citizen, and two students from South Dakota and South Africa, respectively, become a bunch of white guys when they apply to college, except when considering citizenship. Multigenerational African-Americans have much more in common with other Americans of any color than they have had with Africans for a while now.

While I guess the data are nice, I'm not sure that white people marrying yellow or black people is supposed to be noteworthy in 2012, or that it is noteworthy in any sense once you define diversity as something other than melanin concentration.

otoh, a rising rate of marriage between etero- and homosexuals would be undeniable progress.[/QUOTE]

most people dont know theres alot of diff races of people within the asian category and they dont care. i didnt either till i got into asian tv and dramas now i can tell the diff between the asians groups language is a good way as are last names but even then you have those diff areas with diff dialects it can get confusing but its kinda cool too.

[quote name='diaeresis']I don't understand why discussions of race use categories like "white" and "Asian", which show all of the nuance of the 50's when ostensibly measuring our distance from that era. Korean and Japanese marriage seems like it would be a huge deal, at least to the couple's extended family, but that wouldn't show up in any race-based study because everyone involved has slanted eyes and looks kind of yellow.

otoh, a rising rate of marriage between hetero- and homosexuals would be undeniable progress.[/QUOTE]
The problem is that race is a social construct. Racism is using that social construct to determine who will benefit most, obviously the race with the most power, and who won't benefit as much or at all in a society. This is currently why ethnicity and nationality have almost nothing to do with it when it comes to determining who gets what.

It's not as simple as "wow, we have so much more diversity now that we should have a better form of categorizing people from 70 years ago!" But the simple fact of the matter is that while we might not have Jim Crow or public lynchings, which is a good thing, we really haven't moved that far away from that era. The mere basis of race as a social construct makes it difficult to move beyond crude categories when we all know it's based on color.

edit: What lokizz said too.

[quote name='eldergamer']
Have you dated/married outside of your race? Why or why not? did you experience any difficulties?[/QUOTE]I'm of Mexican descent and my significant other is of Irish descent. She's redhead to boot, so she's the whitest of the white. There have been zero problems in regard to race/ethnicity. We both poke fun at each other's backgrounds from time to time, but we are solidly entrenched in whatever American culture is and we tend not to care about our heritage in terms of traditions and other nonsense.

But if we had a child it would definitely be an alcoholic.

[quote name='diaeresis']I don't understand why discussions of race use categories like "white" and "Asian", which show all of the nuance of the 50's when ostensibly measuring our distance from that era.[/QUOTE]It just simplifies the debate when discussing race and ethnicity.

It's not a secret that "Asian" can include the highly successful Japanese cohorts as well as more recent arrivals like Cambodian refugees, and they are going to have very different experiences in the United States.

I learned something from my Asian film class too, haha.

The thing to realize, though, is that those who descended from the Cambodian refugees are going to be less Cambodian and more "American" with each generation. The traditions are going to be celebrated less intensely, the customs forgotten and the cultural rules will be relaxed on a daily basis. This will be prevalent in some families more than others. This is very prevalent in my family. You can call me Mexican, but I don't know anybody in Mexico and I don't participate in any cultural events. My grandmother and grandfather did all that traditional Catholic-Mexican stuff.

But there's still something to say about Asians in general. And if you want to get more specific you can do that. What the hell does "Latino" really mean? There's plenty of variation there too, but there's still some value in the term when discussing social issues. Again, you can get more specific if you want to. But if you're going to do that, you better make space on the graph when presenting information or it's going to get very unwieldy.

[quote name='eldergamer']To put this back on topic...

Have you dated/married outside of your race? Why or why not? did you experience any difficulties?[/QUOTE]

Yep, because I like all flavors of ice cream.:) I didn't experience any difficulties, but I knew that certain areas in where I used to live might have a problem with it.

[quote name='diaeresis']
otoh, a rising rate of marriage between hetero- and homosexuals would be undeniable progress.[/QUOTE]

Oh, there's always been plenty of that. It's just not reported. ;)

This thread is already a little creepy and looks like it about to take a sharp turn towards fetishism

Fetish is kind of a strong word, but even then I don't get why that would be considered a negative discussion. A pretty trivial thread, and eventually a perhaps creepy one, but something as simple as a preference of race isn't a huge deal (in the context of relationships).

[quote name='panzerfaust']Fetish is kind of a strong word, but even then I don't get why that would be considered a negative discussion. A pretty trivial thread, and eventually a perhaps creepy one, but something as simple as a preference of race isn't a huge deal (in the context of relationships).[/QUOTE]
Liking all flavors of ice cream is one thing, but liking one flavor and only having one flavor, especially if it's not your own, is problematic, which is the point I was getting at.

[quote name='dohdough']Liking all flavors of ice cream is one thing, but liking one flavor and only having one flavor, especially if it's not your own, is problematic, which is the point I was getting at.[/QUOTE]

Damn, for someone who screams and rants about racism every single day, that might be the most racist thing said in this thread.

If someone who is race-x only likes race-y, that's their own business. It's not "problematic" at all. Everyone has their own preferences. To tell someone that they should prefer a certain race or more than 1 race is crap.

[quote name='dohdough']Liking all flavors of ice cream is one thing, but liking one flavor and only having one flavor, especially if it's not your own, is problematic, which is the point I was getting at.[/QUOTE]
I better not show you my porn collection then...

Problematic? WTH? It's not a problem. The flava is who I love.

I'm married. This is the only flavor I'm getting for the rest of my life.

If I was single? Sure, I'd try other flavors. I'm not even interested in my own flavor anymore. White girls just seem too commonplace and average.

And besides, I can't afford to be choosy, considering with my looks and personality. ;)

[quote name='confoosious']Damn, for someone who screams and rants about racism every single day, that might be the most racist thing said in this thread.[/quote]
The fact that I said that in reference to a question about my comment about racial fetishes must have gone over your head. Not to mention that I prefaced the damn thing by basically saying that enjoying all flavors of ice cream is A-Ok. The US, amongst other European colonizers, has historically depicted women of color as wanton sex objects to be tamed and conquered while depicting men as weak, savage, and/or inhuman. This endures to this day.

If someone who is race-x only likes race-y, that's their own business. It's not "problematic" at all. Everyone has their own preferences. To tell someone that they should prefer a certain race or more than 1 race is crap.
Sure, everyone has preferences. The question is what influences those preferences. And it's a good thing that I didn't say bolded.

The standards of beauty we have today isn't something born in a vacuum; it's designed, manufactured, and marketed to us like any other product we consume. We might be smarter than monkeys, but we're easy as fuck to manipulate.

That's a guilt trip though, it's not fair to say it's wrong to have a preference. If that preference came from thousands of years of conditioning, then so it has. It's a good point and I'm sure there's tons of interesting issues that could be brought up for it. But to some guy who just so happens to like the distinct look of a particular ethnic group, well I find that completely innocent.

--

And not directed at anyone, but I hate how interracial couples have to have the fetish term tagged to them, as if the fact they have a sexual attraction between each other is demeaning to the relationship itself.

Oh I see you're dating latina women, you've always been into that?

Hugely offensive.

[quote name='panzerfaust']That's a guilt trip though, it's not fair to say it's wrong to have a preference. If that preference came from thousands of years of conditioning, then so it has. It's a good point and I'm sure there's tons of interesting issues that could be brought up for it. But to some guy who just so happens to like the distinct look of a particular ethnic group, well I find that completely innocent.[/quote]
There are more than a few studies on those issues too.

It'd be nice if preference were just preference, but the way race, gender, power dynamics, class, etc. intersect with each other still manifests even without people knowing it. I'm not saying that an interracial couple can't get together if they're racially conscious, but that they would be the exception, while at the same time, still possibly reinforcing fetishism defined by that particular mix. Human relationships are very complex.

And not directed at anyone, but I hate how interracial couples have to have the fetish term tagged to them, as if the fact they have a sexual attraction between each other is demeaning to the relationship itself.

Oh I see you're dating latina women, you've always been into that?

Hugely offensive.
You should ask an Asian-American guy how often non-Asian guys tell them that they love Asian women or how exotic they think they are within the first five minutes of meeting them. Seriously, its a Thing.

It'd be nice if we could get some GLBT(or is it LGBT) perspective in this thread though. There's too much straight talk in here and I'm not that versed in that particular area.

Well, listen, I've conceded that it's an enormous and multifaceted phenomenon. You're welcome to delve deeper, but I'm not sure how many will be up for a marathon. I possess far too little knowledge on the subject to keep you entertained though, unfortunately.

If we're talking about personal preferences though, I'm never going to hold it against someone for having them. Call it a fetish, but don't do it to demean the individuals. We all pursue relationships that involve sexual attraction, it's an important aspect. Don't tell an asian guy he's got a fetish for the white girls as if it's negative behavior. As if her race is the sole reason they eventually get married.

It's like saying you wouldn't have married your spouse if she was unattractive to you beforehand. Well...no shit.

And maybe that attraction does spawn from years of stigma and stereotypes, but to the individual, it's innocent. If this thread was going in the direction of casual chit chat on what we all prefer, then that's a pretty light subject in my eyes.

Not even disagreeing with you, really, you just seem to be in a different league right now.

Yeah, you might date someone because of DD perceived "fetishism" but you sure as hell arent going to marry them for that reason.

That shit won't last and will likely get old quick.

Hell, you might as well say that most white girls are dating black guys just to piss off their parents. There's no relationship or love there, right?

White guys are just with those asian girls becaues they're anime and JRPG freaks.

Oh, please..

My friend (knew him since I was 5) is into anime and married a Japanese woman he tutored while going to college in Japan.

Three of my cousins are married or engaged to Hispanic people (1x honduran, 1x puerto rican and 1x ecuadorian).

My grandfather was Irish and married an Italian woman back when that was considered a big deal.

[quote name='eldergamer']Yeah, you might date someone because of DD perceived "fetishism" but you sure as hell arent going to marry them for that reason.

That shit won't last and will likely get old quick.

Hell, you might as well say that most white girls are dating black guys just to piss off their parents. There's no relationship or love there, right?

White guys are just with those asian girls becaues they're anime and JRPG freaks.

Oh, please..[/QUOTE]
People get married and divorced for all sorts of shitty reasons, including fetishes. Mail-order brides are a huge business. What's your point?

can we all agree that everyone here probably would like to bang a chick ( or for the ladies a guy....and possibly a chick ) of a particular race or ethnicity because you find them hot or youre curious about them ? me personally ive always wanted to bang a native american chick and after that a korean chick. nothing wrong with being curious but yeah i wouldnt base a relationshp on that.

btw if the word bang seems to crass please edit it in your mind to make love to or padoodle.

So, there is a big rise in white mens fetishization of Asian women... A Korean girl I was dating told me most white men who approached her and had this fetish thing. She could clearly tell who was interested in HER as opposed to interested in the Asian fantasy.

What's so great about asian girls? Too tiny and no curves for my taste.

And anywa,y Mail order brides is NOT a huge business. Yeah, I see ads for that all the time. :rolls eyes:

And, as the study pointed out most interracial marriages are to native citizens, not foreign born.

sdt-2012-rise-of-intermarriage-07.png

[quote name='eldergamer']Mail order brides is NOT a huge business. Yeah, I see ads for that all the time. :rolls eyes: [/QUOTE]

Of course it's big, lack of commercials has nothing to do with it.

Relationships tend to vary. /thread.

[quote name='joeboosauce']So, there is a big rise in white mens fetishization of Asian women... A Korean girl I was dating told me most white men who approached her and had this fetish thing. She could clearly tell who was interested in HER as opposed to interested in the Asian fantasy.[/QUOTE]

yellow fever.

funny...part of the reason why korean men are marrying non korean women is because in korea, most korean women will not marry men in rural areas. the % rate has gone up every year since the pattern was first noticed a few years ago.

a lot of modern westernized asian girls believe they are the "new" white and don't even consider dating asian men period. I have nothing against dating behavior it's just very interesting when it happens and for what reasons vs just the "oh I just prefer." It's deeper than that...I'm certain and from experience.

[quote name='eldergamer']What's so great about asian girls? Too tiny and no curves for my taste.
[/QUOTE]

That's just individual taste. I like thin, petite girls with dark hair, as I noted earlier.

I don't have any particular attraction to Asian's per se, other than a decent chunk of them fit that body type relative to other races. But there are hot skinny girls of every race, so I have no real racial preference.

I'm just a skinny guy myself so I've never been drawn to curvy women.

And right now Korean men do have Japanese woman on a pretty high pedestal, for whatever reason. Maybe exotic immediately links to more interesting? american woman loving foreign accents and so forth. Perhaps minorities just naturally draw more attention by looking distinctly different from the majority. People love talking about what makes up their "blood" -- "I'm 75% Polish and 8% Moroccan and 2% this and 1% that and blah blah blah." It's the most fascinating thing to some people.

Tons of other factors, as well those dependent on the individual, are surely part of the equation too.

bread's done
Back