Invert Y-Axis?

GuyWithGun

CAGiversary!
So, I've been noticing recently that a lot of games don't have the Y-Axis inverted as a default anymore.

I remember back in the day I learned that (with a flight simulator) down=nose up. It took a bit to get used to at first, but after that it just seemed natural, and no matter how hard I try now, it just can't get used to anything otherwise.

I bring this up because it used to be that the default in most games would have the Y-Axis inverted. But recently it seems that they've gone away from this and you have to change the control setup each time.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Do you prefer to have the Y-Axis inverted and find it as annoying as I do that after years of inversion that the gaming industry decided to change? Or are you one of the people that doesn't like and inverted Y-Axis and are glad that you no longer have to un-invert the controls? Or do you even care?

I know I have to invert the Y-axis when I play Halo. But I'm guessing the only reason I do that is because it was the standard or default in some other game.

Invert Y-axis. I'm pretty sure thats the only way to play. (checking facts, punching in number into a calculator) Yep, its confirmed, thats the only way to play.

[quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']I don't invert. Inverting is for suckers.[/quote]
250px-Shonuff01.jpg

"Well, well, well. If it isn't the serious, elusive Leroy Green. I've been waiting a long time for this, Leroy. I am sick and tired of hearing these bullshit Superman stories about the wassa legendary Bruce Leroy catching bullets with his teeth. Catches bullets with his teeth? Nigger please." -Shonuff

Yea, well first a am a sucker. Secondly, I'm just so use to it from playing flying sims.

Of course, though I can play both. Sometimes for some odd reason in CoD3 it will reset your settings (I think it is if you don't save them or just turn off the cancel without saving them again first) so I've learned to play both ways. I play slightly better Inverted so I just keep it that way.

i always needed to play games inverted. i couldn't play normal, console or PC.

then i didn't play games for a while, maybe a month or two and after that i reinstalled morrowind on PC. oddly enough i couldn't play inverted and had to switch to normal. :hot:

I like not having to un-invert my controls. Inverted=too hard to aim at anything, how could you stand pushing a direction and it not going that direction?

Flight-sims are another story..

Also guitar hero.

I usually use inverted for gamepad fps games. For computer based games, I use normal for the mouse. I think my brain is treating the gamepad joystick/analog as the back of the gun. So if you technically tilt the back of the gun down, the front would go up. I guess I don't focus on the cursor as much in console fps.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Inverting makes no sense. When I push up, I fucking want to look up.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I agree. Why would I want to aim at someone up in the roof by moving my mouse downward?

If people invert Y axis, why not invert X axis as well? You tilt the back of the gun down, it aims up. You tilt the back of the gun to the right, it aims left. But most people only invert the Y axis and not the X. So this explanation doesn't make sense. It's like a half-ass inversion.

Some people have used the leaning explanation for inverted Y axis. But again, should invert X axis as well.

Flight sims are different, like other people have said, that's how it is in real life. But when you are holding a gun and want to shoot someone at the top of the stairs, you dont move your arms down, right?

[quote name='Z-Saber']Invert. Blame TIE-Fighter and Goldeneye.[/QUOTE]
Yes indeed...cept for me substitute rogue squadron for tie fighter.

However...after playing FPS's on the comp for a while it confuses me and I can sometimes play a game without inverting.

I am the only person among my group of friends who plays inverted, they all think it's strange for whatever reason. Trend probably started for me on the N64.

I'm not sure anymore. Inverted used to be the only way I could play, but playing Halo 3, inverted has been throwing me off.

I remember playing the first DMC, my friend made me do the flying part of the last boss, because he could not get his mind around the inverted controls :)

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Haha, I agree. Why would I want to aim at someone up in the roof by moving my mouse downward?

If people invert Y axis, why not invert X axis as well? You tilt the back of the gun down, it aims up. You tilt the back of the gun to the right, it aims left. But most people only invert the Y axis and not the X. So this explanation doesn't make sense. It's like a half-ass inversion.

Some people have used the leaning explanation for inverted Y axis. But again, should invert X axis as well.

Flight sims are different, like other people have said, that's how it is in real life. But when you are holding a gun and want to shoot someone at the top of the stairs, you dont move your arms down, right?[/quote]

Winner!

/thread

Always inverted for me. Grew up on flight sims/Wing Commander, so I have to "pull" up instead of "push" up. This is kind of making me nostalgic for some Chuck Yeager's Combat Flight Simulator.

while I can play competently inverted, its much easier in the heat of battle to think "hey, I want to look up" and press up.

why is it most of those who replied "inverted" did so happily, while those who replied that they didn't invert seem almost angry at those who do? could inverters be happier people? can't we all just game along?

[quote name='Maklershed']Winner!

/thread[/QUOTE]

Hardly. Let me clear this up with an example.

Put your hand behind your head and push. Which way did you look?
Grab your hair and pull. Which way did you look?
Push your face to the left. Which way did you look?
Now push it to the right. Which way did you look?

Your look and your aim are not independent (in first-person games). Think of your weapon as attatched to your eyeballs. Now perform the above exercise again. Where does your gun go when you push your head forward?

Non-inverted Y-axis and inverted X-axis controls defy reason. Thusly.
:cool:

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Hardly. Let me clear this up with an example.

Your look and your aim are not independent (in first-person games). Think of your weapon as attatched to your eyeballs. Now perform the above exercise again. Where does your gun go when you push your head forward?

:cool:[/quote]
Despite your argument, I feel it defies logic. To me it only makes sense that if you want to look up you press up. I dont think about how I'd see the world if I'd move my head with my hands. I just think about how I'd move a weapon if I held it in my hands.

Inverted for Third Person shooters, none inverted for FPS.

Inverted for flight sims and Star Wars games.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Hardly. Let me clear this up with an example.

:cool:[/QUOTE]

Personally I can move my head without using my hands. Up is up, down is down, seems logical to me.

I can never remember which I use. I have to start playing and if it feels wrong, switch. Then it still feels wrong because I've been playing the other way for the last couple minutes, so sometimes I have to switch back. Fascinating, I know.

bread's done
Back