Investing in Stockmarket / Who do you use?

Retom7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I currently have a small investment account with Wells Fargo and hate it. I don't care about fees and whatnot, I just want out. I realize I don't have hundreds of thousands invested, but I just was not getting any service and they still have yet to process a twice made request.

I currently have my 401k with ING, IRAs and some stocks held at Fidelity, and accounts all over the place. I was wondering if anyone had any preferences on who they use. I'd like low fees for investing as it will likely be small amounts I'd be trading over time anyway. I would also like good service. I know ING has been great to me in the past, does anyone else have positiving experiences with people?

Etrade, Scottrade, Schwab or TD Ameritrade would all be fine for your typical retail investor that is only making 20 or so trades a year. If you are a more active trader there are other places to go with better trade rates based on your account balance and amount of trades or shares you do per month.

I have accounts with Fidelity (retirement), TD Ameritrade (swingtrades) and then an account with a private direct access broker for active trading.

I'm with Fidelity (retirement), Vanguard (retirement), ETrade (employee stock), and ING (sharebuilder).

Honestly between all of them, I like Fidelity the best. Very easy to navigate, awesome service, low cost on certain funds and a great "what if" calculator.

Etrade would be my least favorite. Just seems to primitive IMO.

My retirement accounts are with TIAA/Cref. They're only for certain professions (higher ed for me) though. They're great though, no fee IRAs, their funds have been doing pretty well for me even through the recession etc.

I had a Roth IRA with Amerprise before and hated them--too many fees, crummy service etc. Recently rolled that over into a Roth IRA at TIAA/Cref.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the imput guys. I am trying to get my portfolio going since I have some extra cash and prices are great. I HATE Wells Fargo after this last experience. There are other issues in the past, such contacting us regarding some Wachovia stock we each had, which was convenient since Wachovia is part of Wells Fargo, etc. Just want to get out.

I'll have to look into Fidelity again. I am looking for someone to just take over the stock I have, but damn, it's expensive to transfer, lol.

[quote name='BillyBob29']Most places will waive transfer fees if you are transferring more than $5k.[/QUOTE]

I'm not... I'm transfering the broke man's starter account.

Honestly, I've been dumping far more into my 401k than the stock market. I get 6% dollar for dollar matching, and then I do an additional 6%, so I'm actually putting away 18%... I'm going to bump it up a little bit because I can at the moment. Who knows how much I'll be able to store once I have a kid one of these days... lol.

it depends on what you wanna do...

for trading... well I'd say tdameritrade, etrade, or other discount brokerage.

if you're looking at mutual funds for IRA's or etc... I'd say vanguard, fidelity, or troweprice... vanguard being the cheapest, troweprice having some more unusual funds and fidelity I haven't used but will soon.

I use Merrill Lynch for my personal investments. I like them well enough because of the fact that I can transfer between my brokerage and banking accounts in "real-time." And I have no choice for another firm because I work for them, lol. Of course I have many of my fees waived, so it might not be the best choice for you. The research they provide is really nice, though.

And I agree with those who said Fidelity is good. My 401K is through them, and I've had nothing but good things happen since I started the 401K.

I use Zecco for my personal account. Cheap trades (only $4.50 and you get 10 free trades a month if you have over $25,000). But it's also very barebones but that's okay for me since I do my own research from many different sources.

Vanguard is by far the best for mutual funds with Fidelity a distant second (my 401b is in Vanguard and my IRA is in Fidelity).

[quote name='dopa345']
Vanguard is by far the best for mutual funds with Fidelity a distant second (my 401b is in Vanguard and my IRA is in Fidelity).[/QUOTE]

I've found the exact opposite to be true. Vanguard nickels and dimes my mutual funds to death with various "fees", while I've never paid a fee at Fidelity. I'm buying Vanguard funds, and no matter what I'll get hit with some random fee every quarter. It really adds up over time.

bread's done
Back