ipad mini vs nexus 7

Yeah doing any kind of office work is still a hassle on a tablet. That's one thing I wonder about the surface, if using Ms Office will actually be a good experience.

Yeah, tablets just stink for doing much work with documents. I have a Dell XPS 13 ultra book that gets used for any work on the go. That's the way to go IMO. Have a desktop for anything that needs power, and a thin/light laptop for on the go work (presentations etc.).

iPad is just for my work reading and marking up PDFs, checking calendar, e-mail (if I don't have my laptop) etc. when it comes to work tasks. Sometimes take notes on it in meetings too.

Mildly interested in the Surface. Would have been more so if it had a 4:3 screen.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, tablets just stink for doing much work with documents. I have a Dell XPS 13 ultra book that gets used for any work on the go. That's the way to go IMO. Have a desktop for anything that needs power, and a thin/light laptop for on the go work (presentations etc.).

iPad is just for my work reading and marking up PDFs, checking calendar, e-mail (if I don't have my laptop) etc. when it comes to work tasks. Sometimes take notes on it in meetings too.

Mildly interested in the Surface. Would have been more so if it had a 4:3 screen.[/QUOTE]
Just out of curiosity, but since most monitors these days are turning to a widescreen ratio, laptops included, do you not like reading PDFs on them? Or is it just trying to hold a widescreen tablet vertically, which I completely understand.

Yep, most PDF docs I read are letter sized documents. A 16x9 screen vertically just doesn't work well for that. And I mainly use my tablet for reading those docs, newspapers, ebooks etc. so I use it vertically most of the time. So a 4:3 screen is much better for my needs. 16x9 is just too narrow when held vertically to display a lot of documents, and it's just a narrow screen for reading even text that can be reflowed (like an e-book) since the ratio is just too skinny compared to standard book page or print out.

And yeah, I've never liked reading PDF docs (or anything really) on a laptop or desktop. Before getting my iPad I just always printed them out to read and mark up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd disagree about the e-book though, my N7 is about the size of a paperback, e-books read really well on it. It's just that when you scale the size of the tablet up it gets awkward.

Just looks funky to me. But I'm used to the Kindle screen ratio since I've been reading on those since 2008. So a Fire/Nexus looks odd to me since it's narrower than the 6" Kindle screens.

But yeah, it's definitely more awkward on the bigger screens. And I'll never buy a 7" tablet as I prefer e-ink for novel reading and need the bigger screen on my tablet for my PDFs.

I love my nexus 7....except for its size. It is a smidge too small, screen view, and typing for me. I often revert to my ics touch pad (as I am now). We also have 2 ipads,iPhones, and I touches in the house, but I home couch/bed surf 90% of the time with an android device.

There is honestly no point for an iPad mini, it is only $50 cheaper than the cheapest iPad (full size)

Apple created it because it wanted to penetrate the market created by Amazon with there Kindle, the Nook, and now the Nexus 7.

If your choice is between the iPad mini and Nexus 7, it should be Nexus 7 (just check on any comparison YouTube video online)

I don't see much point in 7" tablets period as I noted earlier. But they sell so a lot of people apparently prefer a smaller, more portable tablet. So at least now they have an iOS option if they prefer that. But I agree that it's way overpriced being so close to the cheapest iPad 2 model (which they're still making).

I've owned both 10 and 7 inch tablets like I've said before. Reading on a 10 inch 16:9 tablet just isn't comfortable. I'd say 7-8 inches in the sweet spot.

I have an iPad 2 that my fiancée is using for school, I use an iPad 3 for browsing, work, and a bunch of other things. I bought a mini not knowing if ill keep it or not. After having used it for the last few days I've decided to keep it as a remote control for my house :cool:

Yep. Just rehashing our earlier discussion though. I have a kindle for ebook reading and would never buy a 16x9 tablet as I need a bigger 4:3 screen for reading scholarly article PDFs which was the main reason I got a tablet.

I can see a 7" tablet being good for people who aren't bookworms (and thus don't need a Kindle or Nook which is easier on the eyes than LCD) and don't need to read letter sized documents. Nice size for e-books, carrying around for net and e-mail etc. Just doesn't fit my needs, which are admittedly non-typical for most tablet users.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a iPad mini over the weekend, love it zero complaints. I had a Kindle Fire which was jail broke and all androided up but I sold it after just a couple months of disappointment.

I've never owned a iPad but I prefer this size to the full size version. It feels so natural in your hands versus the larger version. I'll buy the mini 2 next year and sell this one. I considered a Nexus but pairing this with my iPhone 4, iTunes and iCloud was an easy answer for me...

I've had my nexus 7 for a few weeks now. Have used it all that much but I love it. Got sick of iOS after having an iphone 4 for 2 years. Such a boring operating system even after jailbreaking. Samething with the iPad's. Just boring. They work but the price is competely unecessary for what they do compared to other tablets. I have my nexus 7 rooted and unlocked and I'm using WP8 (Nokia Lumia 920) now. Love em both

bread's done
Back