iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried those free Hudson games and Aqua Forest is the only one that doesn't crash constantly for me (and mess with my playcount data... :censored:!). Luckily that's my favorite of the three. I keep getting closer and closer to buying Monkey Ball since I like the tilt controls so much.

[quote name='bobraskin']great find thanks

Seconded, was waiting for this and the soccer game to fall.

Did you guys know that rRootage is coming to the App Store pretty soon? I wonder how well it will work. Hmmm. Anyway it'll be free whenever it drops.

Can we also mention regular old apps that drop in price too? I'm looking to buy that Airmouse app but I'm too cheap to purchase it right now.

[quote name='FurryCurry']

Can we also mention regular old apps that drop in price too? I'm looking to buy that Airmouse app but I'm too cheap to purchase it right now.[/QUOTE]

Please mention anything that once cost money and is now free. I don't have time to scour other places for info so this is it for me and I wouldn't mind a mention of any free (or even severely reduced price) apps posted here!

[quote name='io']Please mention anything that once cost money and is now free. I don't have time to scour other places for info so this is it for me and I wouldn't mind a mention of any free (or even severely reduced price) apps posted here![/quote]

seconded.

Op needs an update, as mentioned a few are not free.

Also, I've been itching to play trism, but spending $2.99, as cheap as it sounds, seems like a lot to me. And words of encouragement? Will I get more out of this than I would just buying something else off the store? Thanks for the advice.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Did you guys know that rRootage is coming to the App Store pretty soon? I wonder how well it will work. Hmmm. Anyway it'll be free whenever it drops[/QUOTE]

I played it back when I had my iPod Touch jailbroken. It was fun, though nothing spectacular. Note that that is the only version of the game I've ever played. In it you are constantly shooting. All you do is move. That worked pretty well, though.

[quote name='xl_prankster_lx']Op needs an update, as mentioned a few are not free.

Also, I've been itching to play trism, but spending $2.99, as cheap as it sounds, seems like a lot to me. And words of encouragement? Will I get more out of this than I would just buying something else off the store? Thanks for the advice.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people love the game, but I didn't care for it. It's essentially just a more awkward to play version of Bejeweled. The way the game is designed, to get consistent results you have to hold your iPod touch titled at a 45 degree angle left/right/up/down - that's part of why it's a bit awkward to play. The big gimmick is that the directions blocks fall is dependent on how you hold your iPod touch. You have to hold it an angle because otherwise the blocks might slip down and left or down and right depending on how off center the iPod is, thus why you only get consistent results when holding it cockeyed. Also there are some special blocks, such as ones that you have to get rid of in a certain number of turns. In the end it all comes down to Bejeweled 1327. Again, though, I'm very much in the minority on this.

Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man are on sale for $7.99 (was $9.99). I have Ms. Pac-Man and really like it. The swipe control method works well once you get use to it - note that it is quite different from using a joystick, so it does take getting use to (don't keep your finger on the display, just swipe the direction you want to go quickly and lift up, then swipe again, etc.) I haven't tried Pac-Man, but it should control similarly. I'd pick Ms. Pac-Man over Pac-Man, but everyone's got their favorite I suppose.

Hooked: Pocket Fishing is on sale for 99 cents (from $1.99). It's gotten some good comments on toucharcade.com, though I haven't played it. I might pick it up at this price, though.

Rock'n'Roll is free for today only. The default motion controls are *awful* and terribly confusing, however the touch controls work well. I'm not sure it's that great, but I've only played it for a few minutes.

Touch Ghosts is free for some unspecified number of hours. This is just like Lights Out if you've played that. Doesn't do much for me. I installed it, played it once, then removed it. Other people like it, though.

[quote name='crunchewy']I played it back when I had my iPod Touch jailbroken. It was fun, though nothing spectacular. Note that that is the only version of the game I've ever played. In it you are constantly shooting. All you do is move. That worked pretty well, though.[/quote]

Ahhh yes. That is the point. The shooting isn't important, it's the dodging and the use of your ships special abilities. There were four different styles of play on the PC version and dozens of 'levels' which amounted to increasingly difficult boss rushes.

Free Software! If you haven't already you should download Simplify Media before they reach 100,000 downloads and it no longer stays free.

okay noob Apple Apps question. I d/l'ed a bunch of the free games on my iTunes and haven't used them yet. I bought my GF an iPod Touch 2G for her bday and I can't get those free games onto her iPod, it says unauthorized or something like that. These were never used on another iPod so does she have to go into her iTunes, register her iPod and d/l under her own apple acct or something? (iPod hasn't been registered yet).

[quote name='aznguyen316']okay noob Apple Apps question. I d/l'ed a bunch of the free games on my iTunes and haven't used them yet. I bought my GF an iPod Touch 2G for her bday and I can't get those free games onto her iPod, it says unauthorized or something like that. These were never used on another iPod so does she have to go into her iTunes, register her iPod and d/l under her own apple acct or something? (iPod hasn't been registered yet).[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I'm sure others can better answer this, but when I got my iPhone I just hooked it up to the same computer I had been syncing my kids' iPods up with (a shuffle and a nano). Since I already had an iTunes account set up for my daughter I started downloading all the apps through that. I had no problem putting the apps onto my iPhone. But perhaps I registered her iTunes account to my phone. I don't really remember (though when I purchase things on the phone her account comes up so I must have).

so I guess there's an account that's tied to the iPod? Alright, well I was trying to upload those free games before I gave her the iPod. I can't set up an apple account for her just yet b/c then she'll wonder why an apple acct was made and emailed to her lol. I'll try again Sunday (her bday). Plus I had to give myself an excuse to open her gift up, man I should've gotten one of those for myself lol.

In addition to Enigmo being $1.99 (mentioned before) Budgom 2 is now 99 cents and Nanosaur 2 is now $1.99. I have fond memories of the original Bugdom on my 1999 iMac so I might pick up Bugdom 2.

Every one get JellyCar now.
Such a fun little game when you learn the controls, and the visuals are so slick.

Also, RRootage is up and free.
And there's a Spore Origins and PacMan demo now as well.

Loopy Laboratory is on sale for $2.99, regularly $6.99. I paid full price and am happy with it. This is Chip's Challenge in different clothing. I loved the game on the Atari Lynx years ago, and this one is similar, but with different puzzles. The controls work great. The only problem with it is that it take too long to get challenging, but it is still fun throughout. I'm currently at level 44 (of 50.) I hope they'll release more (and more challenging) levels, but as is it is worth $2.99 IMHO.

[quote name='io']In addition to Enigmo being $1.99 (mentioned before) Budgom 2 is now 99 cents and Nanosaur 2 is now $1.99. I have fond memories of the original Bugdom on my 1999 iMac so I might pick up Bugdom 2.[/QUOTE]

The biggest complaint about these games is the save system, which only lets you save at the end of each 30 minute or so level. Maybe that's fine in a console/computer (maybe), but perhaps not on a portable. I know for me it would be an issue. I haven't, however, tried either game.

Yes, Jelly Car is cool and free! Definitely pick that one up. Also you might consider picking up their game Topple which is only 99 cents (normal price). It's sort of a combination of block stacking and Tetris, with the added element of having to balance your tower via the accelerometer. Pretty cool.

What he said /\/\/\
JellyCar is free and a lot of fun to play and Topple is a steal at .99, it's fun for everyone, not justfor Tetris fans.

Speaking of free, if you like strategy games get Lux Touch. My first few games I hated it because I was constantly being taken out but then once you figure it out it's quite addictive.

I really hope they bring out some sort of RTS game for the touch, seems the perfect platform for it. I would LOVE to see a C&C or Red Alert game for it.

Seconded. Lux touch is great.

I'm curious though if they will charge for the next version. The description leads me to believe that they might when they add multiplayer and the other features listed. My guess is they would leave Lux as a demo version and make Lux DLX Touch paid.

I didn't see them mentioned, but perhaps they were. MazeFinger and Trace are free. I downloaded them, but haven't synced them to my Touch yet. Trace in particular looks pretty cool.

I'd recommend Adrenaline Poker Online. I believe it was 2.99 the other day, it might be up to 4.99 now. But its worth it IMO, if you like Texas Hold em Poker, and like to play online(there's a single player as well).

[quote name='Vader582']Bejeweled 2 must have dropped some time today. It's now $2.99. Much more reasonable than $8! I love me some Bejeweled! :lol:[/quote]

Damn, I just checked on that one a few days ago. I am tempted to snag that at that price. It will probably drop to 2 bucks or 1 as soon as I do it though.

This may seem silly, but can I purchase these with an iPod Touch? I got one for my girlfriend, but it's her Christmas gift, and I want to lock in the sale prices so I can punch her out and steal her iPod after Xmas.

I have an iPod touch, yes :)

--
Does iTunes uh..honor the fact that I bought de Blob 2 weeks ago and now it's cheaper? Can I get $3 back? :(

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']This may seem silly, but can I purchase these with an iPod Touch? I got one for my girlfriend, but it's her Christmas gift, and I want to lock in the sale prices so I can punch her out and steal her iPod after Xmas.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you are asking, but unlike with iTS music, you *can* re-download appstore purchases as many times as you want. In addition you can install the apps onto up to some number of iPods or iPhones. I think 6, but don't quote me on it. So if you mean, can you buy them on your iPod Touch and then load them onto her iPod Touch or iPhone, the answer is yes.

Wow you can...didnt know. Um im not sure what your asking either but if you just buy them on intunes then you can put them on any ipod as long as you have it on manually sync, so it doesnt f*ck your music.

[quote name='Vader582']Kinda off-topic: Do any of the Poker games include "7-card stud"?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, no. Due to the awful the-only-poker-game-is-texas-holdem-craze. :( Hopefully eventually....

A bit off topic, but if anyone wants to add me to their Aurora Feint party, my ID is 6g9yfwjk.

What a great puzzle game, and FREE to boot!!!

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']A bit off topic, but if anyone wants to add me to their Aurora Feint party, my ID is 6g9yfwjk.

What a great puzzle game, and FREE to boot!!![/quote]
I added you Crimson. My code is: 6x70khbu for anyone who wants to add it. :)

I hadn't even been thinking about games on my iPhone recently and then I realized it's because this thread dropped off. Well, I figured there must not be any deals any more - WRONG!

Just looking around here early AM Black Friday I see that Pangaea has all their stuff at 99 cents through Dec 2nd:

Bugdom 2, Nanosaur 2, Enigmo, Cro-Mag Rally, and Billy Frontier.

I bought Enigmo and may buy Nanosaur 2 soon... (I bought Bugdom 2 last time it was on sale).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back