iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='107proof']$10.00!!! For a IM app?? Are they crazy?? Maybe for $0.99 but never for $10!! I don't need IM that bad.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm with you on that. Granted, I'd love to have multiple account IM's on my iPhone, but even at the $10 sale price, i'll stick to my free AIM app until Adium ever gets around to making their own app.

Anyone tried the Hell's Kitchen game? Its one sale atm for $2.99. I love that show and would like to check out the game if it is half decent.

7 cities is good, I dont feel it is as good as the creeps and defintely not as good as Geodefense. I thought 7 cities was a little boring compared to the others.

Here's another vote for 7 Cities. My only problem is that the game's touch interface become a bit slow when the action heats up. A steal for 99 cents though!

[quote name='Shady3011']Noticed Baseball Superstars 2009 is $1.99. I might pick it up since I like arcade style baseball games with funny sprites.[/QUOTE]

Its a fun game, but can be challenging at times. I paid 4.99 for it, and have no complaints. Of course, I'd still love a strategy baseball game for the Iphone, as I think it would be a fun fit. We'll see how Earl Weaver baseball turns out.

[quote name='jza1218']We'll see how Earl Weaver baseball turns out.[/quote]

Wow, interesting about that. I remember getting the updated version from Eddie Dombrower direct, he made us promise never to buy an EA product again to get it. Sorry Eddie, I broke the promise.

One of the best things about EWB was the season disks. You didn't have to buy a new game every year. I'm not sure an unlicensed EWB without real players will really keep my attention that well. . .Its been at least 16 years since I played it, I'm not even sure how it compares any more to High Heat or the ones that followed it.

[quote name='107proof']$10.00!!! For a IM app?? Are they crazy?? Maybe for $0.99 but never for $10!! I don't need IM that bad.[/quote]

meanwhile truphone does all that plus phone calls and its freakin free

Has Fieldrunners ever dropped below the $4.99 mark? I really want to pick it up, but am hoping it'll get an update and a price drop sometime soon. Or is it more likely that it'll get a price hike when it gets a release?

Otherwise, I don't really have any deals to post. I jumped on geoDefense and iDracula at $0.99. I also downloaded Pocket God at the same price point, which isn't really worth it, but they do update the app often, so it's kind of cool that it keeps getting better.

So tower defense games. I've played Fieldrunners, geoDefense, 7 Cities and The Creeps. I definitely plan on buying Fieldrunners eventually, though I'm iffy on 7 Cities and The Creeps. Any thoughts on those game? Are there any other TD games that I should check out?

bought field runners today cause I had a lot of time to kill .. and im still playing it.

I love TD's on WC3 and this game is awesome IMO.

I like The Creeps over 7 Cities, the creeps is more fun, i found 7 cities boring. The creeps is a great Tower defense game, I feel it is right up there with Geodefense, just not as difficult. It's definitely worth the prie, if its back on sale get it for $0.99, I talked to the developer and he is going to release an update in about 1 month, so get it if you have the chance.

[quote name='107proof']Days of thunder back on sale for $0.99 HIGHLY RECOMMEND pick this one up today!
transparent_pixel.gif

[/quote]

I seriously don't get how you recommend this, I thought it was yawn worthy, whilst playing it on her-in-doors iphone the other day.

Saint

[quote name='iowaholdem']Has Fieldrunners ever dropped below the $4.99 mark? I really want to pick it up, but am hoping it'll get an update and a price drop sometime soon. Or is it more likely that it'll get a price hike when it gets a release?

Otherwise, I don't really have any deals to post. I jumped on geoDefense and iDracula at $0.99. I also downloaded Pocket God at the same price point, which isn't really worth it, but they do update the app often, so it's kind of cool that it keeps getting better.

So tower defense games. I've played Fieldrunners, geoDefense, 7 Cities and The Creeps. I definitely plan on buying Fieldrunners eventually, though I'm iffy on 7 Cities and The Creeps. Any thoughts on those game? Are there any other TD games that I should check out?[/quote]

Fieldrunners started out at 4.99 and has not changed from that price at all. If you want to check out all of the activity for any app/game go to http://appshopper.com. I highly recommend it to see what the best price has been so you don't overpay.

[quote name='TheSaint11']I seriously don't get how you recommend this, I thought it was yawn worthy, whilst playing it on her-in-doors iphone the other day.

Saint[/quote]

Seriously?? Man, it has like 6 different Race Circuits, great graphics, challenging gameplay, I am just in semi pro circuit and its getting pretty challenging, your main goal besides winning is to take out your Rival driver, its not just going around in circles. Maybe you have to be a race fan. I dunno, I think it is well worth $0.99!!

For what it's worth to anyone considering iDracula at $0.99, an update to 1.1 has been submitted to the app store, and once it goes live, the price is going to jump to $2.99. The update will include
-4 new monsters
-2 new maps
-Perk system updated, new perks added
-2 game modes: Super Survival, Wave Attack
-New powerups - Haste, Rage, Time Stop, Bomb (only available in Super Survival mode)
-Earn money and buy reinforcement in Wave attack mode
-Rush mode updated - you can choose a weapon now.
-Added 2 new options for better weapon switching
-2 new weapons - one (Blade Ripper) only accessible in Rush mode, other (Flamethrower) is everywhere.

Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wh3SVv1WCw
And that all sounds awesome. This is by far my favorite app, and fully worth the $0.99 or even $2.99 price tag - but this is CheapAssGamer, right? So get the $0.99 version now and the free upgrade later!

Yeah, .99 is the magic price point. Got iDracula already, but I haven't really played much so the controls are still iffy for me.

I need to check this thread more consistently. Missed out on the sales for ExZeus, Zombieville USA, and Toy Bots 3! Grrrr. :(

I don't understand this complaint about controls with iDracula. Maybe I'm just the exception, but I think they work excellently well.

I was weary when I was looking in it as to how the game would control, but once I started playing, the two wheels felt very natural to me - like an excellent execution of dual-analog sticks on a screen. I've never had any problem controlling my character, or aiming and shooting what I wanted - so to me, the controls probably couldn't get much better.

I can't wait for iDracula 1.1. Anyone have any idea how long it takes a game to get thru Apple's approval process? I think it was just submitted in the last few days.

On another note, I went ahead and bought FieldRunners today. I know it's expensive, but it won't likely come down in price. Plus, from what I've played, I loved the game, so it was worth the money.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Anyone have any idea how long it takes a game to get thru Apple's approval process?[/quote]I think it takes around a week.

[quote name='iowaholdem']I don't understand this complaint about controls with iDracula. Maybe I'm just the exception, but I think they work excellently well.

I was weary when I was looking in it as to how the game would control, but once I started playing, the two wheels felt very natural to me - like an excellent execution of dual-analog sticks on a screen. I've never had any problem controlling my character, or aiming and shooting what I wanted - so to me, the controls probably couldn't get much better.
[/quote]

The key is playing the game until the controls feel more natural. I've barely touched it so it doesn't seem responsive. The turning part to aim and then firing is what's giving me trouble. Not saying it won't get better.

Gotta say I love these iPhone/Touch games. Great prices to be found and they look so much better than their regular cell phone versions ever could. Even beats out the Nintendo DS for portable gaming with the much larger screen and upped resolution.

[quote name='TheRock88']Fieldrunners dropped to $2.99 for a limited time.[/quote]fuck

I literally just bought this game about 6 hours ago under the impression that it would never go down in price at it as always held steady at the $4.99 price point. I haven't even launched the app yet and the price has been cut by 40%. Damn my luck. I want a refund! The game is still new...

Heh. Damn...

I'll grab The Creeps at that price. I won't play it anytime soon, but I'll get around to it eventually.

*is still desperately awaiting iDracula 1.1*
*is still bitter about paying $2 extra for FieldRunners than was necessary*

I can't believe Fieldrunners is down to 2.99. That game has so much content to it and they have near monthly updates that either fix problems or add content. At 2.99 that game is a must buy imo. That and Rolando are my favorite iphone games.

[quote name='doubledown']What do people think of Pocket God? What is it exactly?[/QUOTE]

It's OK. Gets old after about 2 minutes. The nice thing is that a new feature is added every week. So I play it for 2 minutes/week.

Look for YouTube video reviews to see what it is. Basically there are guys on an island that you can throw/drown/feed to sharks etc. No set objectives.

[quote name='martint84']It's OK. Gets old after about 2 minutes. The nice thing is that a new feature is added every week. So I play it for 2 minutes/week.

Look for YouTube video reviews to see what it is. Basically there are guys on an island that you can throw/drown/feed to sharks etc. No set objectives.[/quote]

I agree with the above. I bought it last week for $0.99 and felt slightly jipped. Since there is no real point in the app. Just some guys stranded on the island and you can feed them to the shark, throw them in the volcano. You can make the sun come out or make it night time. you can tilt your phone to the left or right and make the guys slide to the left or the right. Other than that, there is no replay value. It is fun for about 2 minutes then once you realize that there is no point in it, you lose all interest. I played it for 2 minutes when I downloaded it last week and have not opened it since.

So, until they give the app some "point" or some game to play, I would not recommend this app to anyone. BORING!!

[quote name='107proof']I agree with the above. I bought it last week for $0.99 and felt slightly jipped. Since there is no real point in the app. Just some guys stranded on the island and you can feed them to the shark, throw them in the volcano. You can make the sun come out or make it night time. you can tilt your phone to the left or right and make the guys slide to the left or the right. Other than that, there is no replay value. It is fun for about 2 minutes then once you realize that there is no point in it, you lose all interest. I played it for 2 minutes when I downloaded it last week and have not opened it since.

So, until they give the app some "point" or some game to play, I would not recommend this app to anyone. BORING!![/quote]

You know, I just want to say as weird as it is I fully endorse Pocket God. Everything you said, is true. But it definitely has its charms. The real appeal of the PG (and this isn't for everyone) is the developers community involvement.

A really good iphone forum is toucharcade, and the devs for Pocket God are really active over there with a thread for their weekly updates.

Basically each week the devs add some kind of new feature to the game (each update is like an episode), and have a thread going with some discussion about aspects of game development. The app itself doesn't offer much in the way of structured gameplay but for anyone interested in the iphone "scene" or game developement I think this is a great app.

Also note Pocket God is listed as an entertainment app, NOT a game. So please don't go telling people not to buy it because it has no gameplay, its not a game!

I bought PG with version 1.4 or so I believe. Each week it was fun to check in with the game to try out the new features. And while it probably added up to only a few mins a week, I think it was definitely worth it.

[quote name='gunstar808']You know, I just want to say as weird as it is I fully endorse Pocket God. Everything you said, is true. But it definitely has its charms. The real appeal of the PG (and this isn't for everyone) is the developers community involvement.

A really good iphone forum is toucharcade, and the devs for Pocket God are really active over there with a thread for their weekly updates.

Basically each week the devs add some kind of new feature to the game (each update is like an episode), and have a thread going with some discussion about aspects of game development. The app itself doesn't offer much in the way of structured gameplay but for anyone interested in the iphone "scene" or game developement I think this is a great app.

Also note Pocket God is listed as an entertainment app, NOT a game. So please don't go telling people not to buy it because it has no gameplay, its not a game!

I bought PG with version 1.4 or so I believe. Each week it was fun to check in with the game to try out the new features. And while it probably added up to only a few mins a week, I think it was definitely worth it.[/quote]

I also think it's really a great app; it's not a multi-hour game, but it's a really cute little app that, if nothing else, all of my female friends have thought was really cute (leading to my phone being stolen for 10 minutes)

GL Golf is on sale for .99 from it's usual 5.99. Best sale I've found so far.

Also Attack from the Dead is .99 from 1.99. It looks like an interesting game,and has ok reviews.

[quote name='daruler022']GL Golf is on sale for .99 from it's usual 5.99. Best sale I've found so far.
[/quote]

Good catch, picked it up.

There's a Lite version for free so you can try before you buy.

Get excited! Two popular apps have been updated!

FieldRunners - 1.2.3 - $2.99
Made extended and endless modes less difficult

iDracula - 1.1 - $0.99 (not increased like it was said to do)
4 new monsters
2 new maps
Perk system updated, new perks added
2 game modes: Super Survival, Wave Attack
New powerups - Haste, Rage, Time Stop, Bomb (only available in Super Survival mode)
Earn money and buy reinforcement in Wave attack mode
Rush mode updated - you can choose a weapon now.
Added 2 new options for better weapon switching
2 new weapons - one (Blade Ripper) only accessible in Rush mode, other (Flamethrower) is everywhere.

[quote name='Treythalomew']I can't believe Fieldrunners is down to 2.99. That game has so much content to it and they have near monthly updates that either fix problems or add content. At 2.99 that game is a must buy imo. That and Rolando are my favorite iphone games.[/quote]
Agreed, the game was a steal at just $5, and now they lowered the price?
Those developers put way too much time in the updates, i would definitely buy their upcoming games seeing how dedicated they are.
And both of the games you've mentioned are my favorites too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back