iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to feel less and less enamored by Tiger Woods 10. I'm still playing my first full PGA tournament. I've finished three of four rounds at August National and am currently sitting at 42 under par, with Mickelsen in a close second of 8 under.

Make no mistake, this game is *easy*. With my created character ranking just 2 out of 6 stars based on equipment upgrades, I'm absolutely demolishing the field.

Average round 55.7 strokes
Driving average 328 yards with 74% accuracy
68 GIR, 3 GUR
Putting average of 1.0 strokes
7 eagles, 59 birdies, 22 pars and just 2 bogies

Putting is just too easy in this game with caddy tips turned on. My longest putt is 38 yards = 114 feet.

There really ought to be a mercy rule in this game. Leading the pack by 20 strokes, and they should all just forfeit!

I don't know, it's a fun game, but the difficulty needs to be dynamic. If I'm 42 under par, no matter how absurd it is, someone needs to be right on my tail at 41 under. Whatever, I'll keep going. I'm 16% through the game, so that means there will be five 4-day tournaments. I've still got 5 trophy balls to earn, also.

EDIT: Speaking of making the game more difficult, I just started the forth day of my tournament, and the game decided to give me a little handicap! Instead of 42 under like I was after day 3, they added ten strokes, so I'm now 32 under. Nice glitch TW10!

Some things I found of interest.

WWII Alone
is a really good game at .99 - Solid tap to shoot controls, can touch the corners to roll back and forth and avoid fire. Also a perk system to give you an edge. Definitely a solid pick up.

Underworlds - Already mentioned but worth a repeat, dropping to 2.99. Diablo type gameplay, lots of positive feedback and a big update on the way, seems like a winner. I just downloaded it but haven't played it enough to provide any real comments.

Zen Bound
had its first price drop from 4.99 -> 2.99. I've been wanting to try this one for some time, but I hate dropping 5 bucks on an app. However this game had so much hype and the response has been so good I am going to check it out now.

Also a Star Trek game came out, and immediately price dropped down to 2.99. A vertical Shmup with upgrades, achievements, and decent looking graphics. I'm kind of on the fence about this one. I mean I love Shmups, I dig Trek, am totally pumped for the movie... ah hell I think I will download it.

And quick question, has anyone tried the Myst port out yet? This might be one of the few times I think the price is justified. Its amazing they can port that, and its kind of a perfect fit for the platform. I'm kind of curious how people respond to this one tho, its such an old game. But it seems like this could be one of the timeless titles. It DID jump up the app store sales chart so that should be some indication I guess.

[quote name='iowaholdem']I'm starting to feel less and less enamored by Tiger Woods 10. I'm still playing my first full PGA tournament. I've finished three of four rounds at August National and am currently sitting at 42 under par, with Mickelsen in a close second of 8 under.

Make no mistake, this game is *easy*. With my created character ranking just 2 out of 6 stars based on equipment upgrades, I'm absolutely demolishing the field. [/QUOTE]

The following tournament is tougher. The course is harder. I'm presuming that the 3rd tournament will be tougher still. As for easy putting - it is very easy if you have caddy tips on. So, turn them off! Then you will get the challenge you are looking for. I haven't turned them off because the second tourney is seeming tougher so far. If I start stomping the field again, though, I'm going to turn caddy tips off.

The game is great, but where is the online play? Hopefully in Tiger Woods 11 for iPhone they'll add that - I'm realistic enough to know that they aren't going to update this one to have it. That's not EA's way. And, truthfully, I think that's good - there's way too much releasing of games way before they are done on the app store, presumably because developers want to be first on the market. Of course, DLC would be nice, I'd even take paid DLC, but the game itself is complete. That's how it ought to be.

[quote name='Trufatty']lol i would not say metal gear solid touch lite is on sale if it's free...but oh well.:applause:[/quote]

I felt like messin around a little.

I picked up WWII Alone the other day at the price. So far I'd have to say it is a little underwhelming. It is fine, but not great. I'd have been happier had it been 99 cents. My main problem with it is that my finger is always getting in the way, which is an inherent problem with this type of game on the iPod. Maybe I need to give it more time, though. It is definitely much better and more challenging then other tap-to-shoot games due to the mechanic of having your player on screen and needing to move them to avoid shots. That does add quite a bit to the fun and challenge.

There is a Lite version of Zen Bound. I tried the Lite version and while I thought it was neat, I'm not sure I'd want to pay for it. I suspect it's one of those games I'd play for a few days and then never touch again. It's seems pretty limited.

Underworlds I'd forgotten about. I'm definitely going to get that one... or maybe not. I've already got Tiger Woods and Pandemonium to play! I need to slow down my purchases.... But, I always wanted to play Diablo and never did, so this one is really tempting.

[quote name='gunstar808']Some things I found of interest.

WWII Alone
is a really good game at .99 - Solid tap to shoot controls, can touch the corners to roll back and forth and avoid fire. Also a perk system to give you an edge. Definitely a solid pick up.

Underworlds - Already mentioned but worth a repeat, dropping to 2.99. Diablo type gameplay, lots of positive feedback and a big update on the way, seems like a winner. I just downloaded it but haven't played it enough to provide any real comments.

Zen Bound
had its first price drop from 4.99 -> 2.99. I've been wanting to try this one for some time, but I hate dropping 5 bucks on an app. However this game had so much hype and the response has been so good I am going to check it out now.

Also a Star Trek game came out, and immediately price dropped down to 2.99. A vertical Shmup with upgrades, achievements, and decent looking graphics. I'm kind of on the fence about this one. I mean I love Shmups, I dig Trek, am totally pumped for the movie... ah hell I think I will download it.

And quick question, has anyone tried the Myst port out yet? This might be one of the few times I think the price is justified. Its amazing they can port that, and its kind of a perfect fit for the platform. I'm kind of curious how people respond to this one tho, its such an old game. But it seems like this could be one of the timeless titles. It DID jump up the app store sales chart so that should be some indication I guess.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crunchewy']I picked up WWII Alone the other day at the price. So far I'd have to say it is a little underwhelming. It is fine, but not great. I'd have been happier had it been 99 cents. [/quote]

I'm a little confused by this, was it previously a different price? I checked on App Shopper and it says debut April 28 $.99.

But yea I agree about the finger getting in the way tho. I don't think I would recommend this app for anything more then $.99.

[quote name='gunstar808']And quick question, has anyone tried the Myst port out yet? This might be one of the few times I think the price is justified. Its amazing they can port that, and its kind of a perfect fit for the platform. I'm kind of curious how people respond to this one tho, its such an old game. But it seems like this could be one of the timeless titles. It DID jump up the app store sales chart so that should be some indication I guess.[/quote]

It is literally the same game as on PC. Instead of a mouse you use your finger.

[quote name='gunstar808']I'm a little confused by this, was it previously a different price? I checked on App Shopper and it says debut April 28 $.99.[/QUOTE]

lol! No, brain hiccup. So, I suppose I should be happy, then. :)

I hope MGST drops at some point. I liked the Lite version but not enough to drop $7.99 on an iPhone game. $4.99 is my limit I think. I bought both Zen Bound & Serbian Strike for $4.99.

[quote name='UjnHunter']I hope MGST drops at some point. I liked the Lite version but not enough to drop $7.99 on an iPhone game. $4.99 is my limit I think. I bought both Zen Bound & Serbian Strike for $4.99.[/quote]

Don't think I've ever seen these type of games price drop. "These type" meaning games by the big Japanese companies: Konami, Square-Enix, Namco, etc.

Someone posted about iFighter Lite a few pages back. The full game's been released and has an introductory price of $0.99. It's a really nice shmup with with solid graphics and touch controls. Very challenging, too. Definitely worth a dollar.

Some screenshots here: http://www.epicforce.com/

Props to whoever recommended it before. I posted on one of their blog entries and received a free promo code when it was released!

Just wanted to let everyone know that "Lemonade Tycoon" by EA is up on the app store right now for free. I saw a recommendation in this thread for it and I've been on the look out for it ever since. It apparently goes on and off of the app store though, so download it while you can.

I haven't updated the original post since October of last year so I made an update. Keep posting deals when you see them. I listed app review sites, if I missed any let me know and I'll append the list.

[quote name='morphineseason']Just wanted to let everyone know that "Lemonade Tycoon" by EA is up on the app store right now for free. I saw a recommendation in this thread for it and I've been on the look out for it ever since. It apparently goes on and off of the app store though, so download it while you can.[/quote]I think Lemonade Tycoon is on the App Store for good now. I think there were issues on Apple's side which caused it to go up and down for awhile. Though considering it's in the top 25 app list, I think it's been doing pretty well for itself since it's been back.

Bit on Bloons for $0.99. Any game that includes a Level Editor and is $0.99 is pretty hard to resist. Plus, Bloons is amazing on its own.

Namco's put all there stuff on sale for the next two weeks:

Pole Position: Remix, Star Trigon, Alpine Racer, Rolling 5 Dice Poker, Tamagotchi: 'Round the World, USA Today Txtpert, Inspector Gadget are all 99cents according to my Namco contact.

[quote name='Zurich']Someone posted about iFighter Lite a few pages back. The full game's been released and has an introductory price of $0.99. It's a really nice shmup with with solid graphics and touch controls. Very challenging, too. Definitely worth a dollar.

Some screenshots here: http://www.epicforce.com/

Props to whoever recommended it before. I posted on one of their blog entries and received a free promo code when it was released![/quote]

Probably me. I emailed them a few weeks ago about some issues/comments, fast response back. Guess they didn't like me enough to get a promo code though. :cry:

But yeah, 194x fans should pick this up IMMEDIATELY. The accelerometer controls are some of the most responsive I've ever seen for the iPhone/Touch, and you definitely get a challenge with this SHMUP. I don't know what their markup price will be, but seriously-- get on this for 99 cents before they do. The music is pretty darn good too for each level.
Hopefully they add more levels in the future than just the four, but until then, plenty of things to shoot down.

Tilt control in ifighter may be a deal killer. I tried the lite version and felt the same about it as in that other tilt controlled shooter - it's ok as long as the game moves slow. When it gets faster it doesn't provide the control needed. I greatly prefer Skyforce Reloaded. The other control options in iFighter are pretty much a joke, unfortunately. I'll give the tilt control more time, but so far it just makes me want to play Skyforce.

Peggle will probably jump to number 1 within minutes. I know I'll be contributing. The mention of add-on DLC makes it better still. Hopefully they release Nights as DLC soon after the release of OS 3.0.

[quote name='Escargoexpress']Yeah, peggle seems to be up.
I doubt popcap will screw up this port, but I'm still going to wait for impressions[/quote]

I love it already. Seems to be an almost direct port of the PC game on first impressions. I am gonna have a lot of fun with this one.

Holy crap - it is up in the US store! However, I found that it only showed up, after searching, in the lower list view of matches - it didn't show up in the list of applications, with icons, up at the top. No doubt that will straighten out shortly, though. In any case, it is in the list view list of games!

Suffice it to say, they didn't blow it! Peggle is fantastic. Even though the DS version also has Nights, it doesn't even remotely compare. The DS version is completely missing the pizazz that is a big part of playing Peggle. It's all there in this version and the controls work perfectly. The DS's zooming is also cumbersome, and it isn't here at all. Most of the time it isn't necessary anyway.

[quote name='crunchewy']The DS's zooming is also cumbersome, and it isn't here at all. Most of the time it isn't necessary anyway.[/quote]

double tap to zoom on the iphone version

I bought Peggle a little while ago and I'm lovin' it. After coming off the NDS version it's like playing Peggle HD! Way to go PopCap. Anyone who has any worries about this game needs to worry not, it is done correctly and works better than I would have imagined!

Thanks for posting about Peggle! I've been waiting for this one, on sale or not. Also was unaware that there is a Star Trek game (ala Galaga) that's pretty fun and $3. It's worth that IMHO.
There's also a 24 game based on the show which has a lite version to try (search for "dchoc"). Seems pretty good but I might try to wait for it to drop a little since Peggle is the 3rd game I've picked up in the past couple of days.

[quote name='jcp42877']For anyone who didn't know, RESIDENT EVIL: DEGENERATION THE GAME is now for sale!!!!

This came out like 2 1/2 weeks ago, I'm not sure how a lot of us missed it!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=308842091&mt=8[/quote]

That's because it didn't come out 2 1/2 weeks ago. It came out today. That date on itunes is probably the date the app was submitted.

I watched a few videos of the game in action and it looks pretty good. RE4 style gameplay, decent graphics, and I read there is a mercenary mode too.

I don't think there is any blood tho. Which is a little weird since there was a warning about grotesque violence at the beginning of the video.

I'm definitely interested either way, but $6.99 is a bit much. I just bought a bunch of apps, need to chill a bit.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Yeah, the controls are disappointing. I'd rather have the traditional touch the plane to move like in SpaceX.[/quote]

I couldn't possibly disagree more. The controls are sickeningly accurate. I love being able to tilt and lean it and getting a 100% accurate response back from it.

Besides, you can adjust the speed of the movement in settings-- you don't have to leave it on the default. I have mine turned up to about 80% of the meter.

I also downloaded SpaceX. The weapon upgrades are cool, but having to take constant fire in the face in order to get a clear shot to earn points is not what I want.
Plus, the music is grating, repetitive, and there's no real semblance of order to the enemies. You'll get level 3 enemies attacking you on level 1 after you restart, and you only have your original weapons. That dog don't hunt. iFighter does it right, and if you're good with the accelerometer, you can avoid a hell of a lot of gunfire.

Did Wolfenstein 3D drop in price or has it always been $1.99? I played the Lite version, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Wish id still made games like this.

[quote name='Shady3011']Did Wolfenstein 3D drop in price or has it always been $1.99?[/quote]It's been on a "limited time sale" since May 1st. It was $5 before that.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Kinda off topic, but do any of you guys jailbreak and use themes?[/quote]

I do. I have my iPod touch jailbroken and using Picnic theme now. It' awesome ^^.

Got Peggle last night too. What an amazing game!
So now I have it on PC, Xbox 360, DS and iPhone. Any version that I'm missing? :D

The Wolfenstein game I'd be a lot more interested in is the original: Castle Wolfenstein. The 2d game. Good memories of that one. Maybe it isn't as I good as I remember, but I'd like to find out!

[quote name='danny8k']I do. I have my iPod touch jailbroken and using Picnic theme now. It' awesome ^^.[/quote]

I have a animated clip of jessica alba dancing from sin city as my wallpaper. Sometimes I just stare at it. Shake it Alba baby.

[quote name='jonrosing']I bought Peggle a little while ago and I'm lovin' it. After coming off the NDS version it's like playing Peggle HD! Way to go PopCap. Anyone who has any worries about this game needs to worry not, it is done correctly and works better than I would have imagined![/quote]

Haha. That is exactly how I felt when I played Peggle for the first time on my touch after the NDS.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']I have a animated clip of jessica alba dancing from sin city as my wallpaper. Sometimes I just stare at it. Shake it Alba baby.[/quote]

I didn't know you could have animated wallpapers. I'm jailbroken... help a brother out? :applause:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back