iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
but is it worth the $10? Idk, it seem like I just can't decide on an app to buy. Almost like I'm waiting for a game that'll blow me away and MAKE me want to easily give up my $10

[quote name='wubb']The Creeps! is on sale for $0.99 Thought about it, but there's no free version to try first and I already have a few tower defense games to play.

Well Zenonia just came out a few days ago. But yeah, that one looks so good. I wish it had a lite version, as I'd like to make sure the controls work okay for me before buying.[/QUOTE]

The CREEPS! is WELL WORTH THE $0.99.... If your a fan of Tower defense games, Don't pass it up. There was also a HUGE update that just came out for it. SO hours and Hours of gameplay for $0.99 is a STEAL...

[quote name='jcp42877']but is it worth the $10? Idk, it seem like I just can't decide on an app to buy. Almost like I'm waiting for a game that'll blow me away and MAKE me want to easily give up my $10[/QUOTE]

If you think that Sims 3 on iPhone is at least 20% as fun/entertaining as Sims 3 PC, then...

$10/$50 = It's worth it.

Alright - if you've been on the fence about picking up Taxiball, now's your chance!

To celebrate getting featured on the App Store's "New and Noteworthy" games section, we're dropping the price on Taxiball for the next THREE DAYS ONLY to what?

AS LOW AS YOU CAN GO!

Grab it today, because it'll only be 99 cents until Friday, after which it'll go up to (for the first time) *gasp in horror* FULL PRICE!!!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=316087672&mt=8

ven though I own a lot of apps and I have to sort through some crap, Taxiball deserves to be pushed to the top, it’s crazy tilting fun... you’ll thank TheAPPera.com for uncovering this gem for you!" - theAPPera.com

"One look at Taxiball and it's clear that the developers had fun creating the title... The game has a wonderful sense of humor and is engaging on all fronts. Taxiball is a great value." - slidetoplay.com

"If you're tired of ball-rolling games not quite living up to expectations on the iPhone then it's your sworn duty to go and grab this. Games and developers of this calibre are what's needed to stem the flow of rubbish shovelware that seems to be creeping onto the iTunes store. Indulge yourself with a truly classy roll-'em-up game destined to become a cult hit, and deservedly so." - allaboutthegames.co.uk

"...you can finally take Labyrinth off your phone’s app rotation, Taxiball is here and ready to blow you away... Taxiball is an exceptionally fun game that will keep you entertained for hours." - iphonegamenetwork.com EDITOR'S CHOICE

I know we're all cheapasses here - this is it, though - I can promise you that this is as cheap as Taxiball will get. ;)

Cheers!
seppo

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='helava'] Grab it today, because it'll only be 99 cents until Friday, after which it'll go up to (for the first time) *gasp in horror* FULL PRIC[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the demo and will probably download this later for 99 cents. Thanks!

[quote name='helava']Alright - if you've been on the fence about picking up Taxiball, now's your chance![/QUOTE]I said I'd buy it at at .99 and I did.:lol: That's my app store sweet spot! Thanks for letting us know! Hope your app hits the top 25!

[quote name='Vader582']I said I'd buy it at at .99 and I did.:lol: That's my app store sweet spot! Thanks for letting us know! Hope your app hits the top 25![/QUOTE]

Thanks, Vader, benjamouth - I'm keeping my fingers crossed... hope you all enjoy the game (you, too, crunchewy!)

seppo

Did any other CAGers grab Word Play when it launched for free? They put it back to $0.99 after the first day (I think) Good Boggle game with online play and quite a bit of polish for a new game. Crushes Scramboni as far as word games go IMO. Good buy at $1.

Thanks for the tip on taxiball. I've heard good things and I'm pretty much a sucker for those limited time sales. You're the developer for that one helava?

Taxiball is pretty similar to CrazyTaxi, just with a different set of mechanics. I highly recommend picking this up if you liked CrazyTaxi, especially while its still 99c.

[quote name='wubb']Thanks for the tip on taxiball. I've heard good things and I'm pretty much a sucker for those limited time sales. You're the developer for that one helava?[/QUOTE]

Yep! There were three of us who worked on the game full-time, and the guy who did our audio, but I'm the only CAG among 'em... ;)

seppo

Got Taxiball and Shift, Taxiball is pretty fun. Have yet to try out Shift but I've heard good things about it. Both .99 Cents.

[quote name='helava']Yep! There were three of us who worked on the game full-time, and the guy who did our audio, but I'm the only CAG among 'em... ;)

seppo[/QUOTE]

I grabbed the free version last night to check out. The audio cracked me up, don't know if it will wear on me but right now this is one game I won't mute for my own soundtrack. Looks like a great game so I went ahead and bought it. I'll definitely keep an eye out for any other stuff you guys put out. Hope TB is a big success.

[quote name='wubb']Did any other CAGers grab Word Play when it launched for free?[/QUOTE]

Yep - I got it and enjoy it. The only problem is that it seems like not that many others got it when it was free because the "rooms" are often always empty when I play. However, after I join one after a minute or so enough people have joined as well, so it's OK. Still wish more people would get it - it is a good online boggle game.

[quote name='helava']Thanks, Vader, benjamouth - I'm keeping my fingers crossed... hope you all enjoy the game (you, too, crunchewy!)

seppo[/QUOTE]

I had actually forgotten about it, but am now downloading it. Yeah!

Thanks, everyone - your support is REALLY appreciated. We're trying to climb up the rankings lists - if you're not in the top 100 of something, you're almost invisible on the app store - so every copy that gets bought really, really helps us out - we appreciate every single one.

It's one of those weird things you learn making a game for something new. When you work on a console game, you know how much shelf space you get, and more or less for how long. With the iTunes store, you're "on the shelves" only as long as you've got enough sales to make it onto one of those lists. You fall off it, and you drop like a stone, because there's no way for people to just "browse" to your game (unless you're releasing an update, which we plan to do to add more levels regularly). Getting back onto the lists... We got *incredibly* lucky that Apple decided to feature us on the Games "New & Noteworthy" section. Without that... whoo.

It's one of those weird lessons you learn - but shows how important every sale is. If you like the game, and tell your friends, it has such a huge impact - you literally have a developer's fate in your hands. And as much as I'd hope that Taxiball will go to the top, that's the same for every hardworking independent developer on the App Store. Word of mouth is what is going to make or break every small developer who can't afford a marketing budget like EA's.

Believe me, we're grateful for the support, really encouraged by the players' positive response to the game, and will do our damnedest to make sure that you're getting your money's worth in entertainment value.

That said - response has been really great to the sale, and I know we said it's for a limited time only, and I really wanted to honor that, because I didn't want it to be an empty statement. But that said, the list position matters a LOT - literally life and death for the game - and so we're gonna keep the sale going as long as the momentum is there. So if you haven't had a chance to check out the game - grab the Free version and give it a whirl if you're not sure it's worth it - and if you dig it, grab the full version while it's cheap. :)

If you like the game, it'd also mean a lot if you could take a minute or two and write a review for the game on the App Store - getting on "What's Hot" or the main page would be huge. If you hate the game... well, lemme know why, and we'll see what we can do. Update 1 should be submitted next week, so if you've got feedback, send it!

Thanks.
seppo

[quote name='helava'] (unless you're releasing an update, which we plan to do to add more levels regularly).
[/QUOTE]

Yes, please. :D

[quote name='helava']
That said - response has been really great to the sale, and I know we said it's for a limited time only, and I really wanted to honor that, because I didn't want it to be an empty statement. But that said, the list position matters a LOT - literally life and death for the game - and so we're gonna keep the sale going as long as the momentum is there. So if you haven't had a chance to check out the game - grab the Free version and give it a whirl if you're not sure it's worth it - and if you dig it, grab the full version while it's cheap. :)
[/QUOTE]

I bought it because I felt it was worth a buck. If you keep it at a buck forever or lower it down to free at some point, I'm not going to freak out. Just my 2 cents. It does seem like $1 is a big price barrier on the app store. Lots of great stuff at $0.99. I only have 4 paid games (2 were from codes I won) and this is easily better than two of them. Toki Tori would give it a run, but that's a $5 app.

Was the feature to pull up the map (pausing the game) added in an update or there from the beginning? Just wondering because I landed in the top 10 my first play through Megapolis (or whatever the town after Hometown is called) just by looking at the map after picking up each fare to work out a good way to go.

[quote name='crunchewy']Yep - I got it and enjoy it. The only problem is that it seems like not that many others got it when it was free because the "rooms" are often always empty when I play. However, after I join one after a minute or so enough people have joined as well, so it's OK. Still wish more people would get it - it is a good online boggle game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't know if it's because the game only shows you a handful of tables at once or because there are really only a few people playing online at any one time. I usually back out to a single player game if none of the tables have even 1 person waiting.

I'm glad to see that there are some really good games out there that are getting great support from people on this forum. I'm also an iPhone developer and can attest to the difficulty that helava is writing about.

There's a lot of games out there crowding the market, so it's a bit difficult to find some good games out there.

I just wanted to let you guys know that Toy Raid is going on sale for $0.99 starting today to celebrate WWDC. If you want to buy it, here's the link to the game:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=314261199&mt=8

Here's a review from Touch Arcade so you can check it out:
http://toucharcade.com/2009/05/12/toy-raid-is-simple-shooter-fun/

[quote name='wubb']Yes, please. :D

Was the feature to pull up the map (pausing the game) added in an update or there from the beginning? Just wondering because I landed in the top 10 my first play through Megapolis (or whatever the town after Hometown is called) just by looking at the map after picking up each fare to work out a good way to go.[/QUOTE]

Looks like Update 1.1 may go out tonight to Apple for approval. We managed to squeeze in *two* new levels. One of 'em's simple - meant to give a new player practice rolling around, but I think is actually really fun as a score challenge. The second one... well, you'll just have to find out. :D

re: the map - the map's been there from the start. It varies from person to person whether they use it or not. I like playing without it, just because once you memorize the levels a bit, it's easier to stay in the groove without interrupting yourself. The other thing is that there are definitely better ways to "chain" the fares through the level - if you happen upon a good sequence the first time through, you can pretty handily beat someone who might have played a few times, but has a different pattern...

Sounds like you're working your way through the game - not too many people have made it all the way to the end. :D Hope you continue to have fun - at this rate, ideally, you'll have a couple new levels by the time you finish up.

And to Last Epoch - good luck! Race you to the top!!! :D

seppo

[quote name='pete5883']Anyone try The Sims 3?[/QUOTE]

yeah..its pretty good..just reboot your phone/ipod after installing it otherwise it will prolly crash a lot

[quote name='helava']Thanks, everyone - your support is REALLY appreciated. We're trying to climb up the rankings lists - if you're not in the top 100 of something, you're almost invisible on the app store - so every copy that gets bought really, really helps us out - we appreciate every single one.

It's one of those weird things you learn making a game for something new. When you work on a console game, you know how much shelf space you get, and more or less for how long. With the iTunes store, you're "on the shelves" only as long as you've got enough sales to make it onto one of those lists. You fall off it, and you drop like a stone, because there's no way for people to just "browse" to your game (unless you're releasing an update, which we plan to do to add more levels regularly). Getting back onto the lists... We got *incredibly* lucky that Apple decided to feature us on the Games "New & Noteworthy" section. Without that... whoo.

It's one of those weird lessons you learn - but shows how important every sale is. If you like the game, and tell your friends, it has such a huge impact - you literally have a developer's fate in your hands. And as much as I'd hope that Taxiball will go to the top, that's the same for every hardworking independent developer on the App Store. Word of mouth is what is going to make or break every small developer who can't afford a marketing budget like EA's.

Believe me, we're grateful for the support, really encouraged by the players' positive response to the game, and will do our damnedest to make sure that you're getting your money's worth in entertainment value.

If you like the game, it'd also mean a lot if you could take a minute or two and write a review for the game on the App Store - getting on "What's Hot" or the main page would be huge. If you hate the game... well, lemme know why, and we'll see what we can do. Update 1 should be submitted next week, so if you've got feedback, send it!

Thanks.
seppo[/QUOTE]

I liked the lite version, I'll pick this up. Gotta help out a fellow cag!

[quote name='Malik112099']So, no one has heard anything about Mass Effect Galaxy?[/QUOTE]

Been trying to follow this one myself. I have not seen a release date or a release window even. The info seems to be slowly trickling out so that is a positive sign of a closer release. I would not doubt if they release it leading up to Mass Effect 2.

[quote name='sfree79']Been trying to follow this one myself. I have not seen a release date or a release window even. The info seems to be slowly trickling out so that is a positive sign of a closer release. I would not doubt if they release it leading up to Mass Effect 2.[/QUOTE]

They better release it at least a few weeks before ME2 since it bridges the gap between the 2 games

Update 1.1 for Taxiball has been submitted to Apple! We thought we were only going to get one level in with this update, but we got two in instead. It also fixes an issue where people without WiFi got stuck at the handle registration screen - you can now skip registration and play with a default handle, and never need a connection to anything.

We're gonna keep releasing new levels every couple weeks, so the game's gonna keep getting better and better!

Woohoo!
seppo

If you like racing games, you need to get Real Racing by Firemint (same guys that did Flight Control). I seriously cant believe this game is running on an iphone.

[quote name='Malik112099']If you like racing games, you need to get Real Racing by Firemint (same guys that did Flight Control). I seriously cant believe this game is running on an iphone.[/QUOTE]
Wow, those are the best graphics I've seen on the iPhone yet. How are the controls though?

[quote name='Codemaster']Wow, those are the best graphics I've seen on the iPhone yet. How are the controls though?[/QUOTE]

The default (auto accel, touch to break, tilt to steer) control scheme works very well but if you dont like it there are 3 others.

[quote name='cheapbastard']So what does everybody think about the new iPhone 3Gs? I think I'm sitting this one out till the next model.[/QUOTE]

yeah. It is weak sauce. Im more than happy with my 3G and am very excited for the 3.0 firmware update.

Also....Real Racing is BAD fuckING ASS!

[quote name='cheapbastard']So what does everybody think about the new iPhone 3Gs? I think I'm sitting this one out till the next model.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty excited. I've been holding out but I think I'll finally get one next week. Glad they're finally adding MMS and video capture. Also the feature where you can locate your phone over the Web is like wow! We live in the future.

Anyone want a good deal on a 16GB touch? :)

[quote name='metaly']I'm pretty excited. I've been holding out but I think I'll finally get one next week. Glad they're finally adding MMS and video capture. Also the feature where you can locate your phone over the Web is like wow! We live in the future.

Anyone want a good deal on a 16GB touch? :)[/QUOTE]

I actually would (if your not being sarcastic).

I'm still holding out for a 3rd gen Ipod touch, but its looking like they won't be coming out until september, and I'm not sure I can wait that long.

iPhone 3Gs has me salivating... but damn... why can't I get a plan that doesn't cost more then $70 a month? I'd take one that didn't even have voice at all, just data. I'd be happy to pay $30 a month for unlimited data, no voice and no text messaging. I barely use my current cell phone as it is. I was almost going to buy a 32 GB 3Gs, but then pulled back and took a reality check. That is just way too much money a month. Yeah, if you already pay that kind of money for a cell phone and think it's worth it, you'll be happy, but I'm a $100 per YEAR pay-as-you-go cell phone user and I don't even use the minutes I have with that.

[quote name='107proof']Peggle is only $0.99 for a limited time[/QUOTE]Now that's a steal! This should be an instant buy for everyone! I nabbed mine this morning. I never would have expected such a severe price drop on this great game!

[quote name='seanr1221']Can anyone give me a rundown on the DRM on these apps?

I have them all on my current iPhone, but how many devices can they be copied to?[/QUOTE]

In terms of other iPhones? With the new 3.0 update next week, you won't be able to redownload an app on the iPhone.

[quote name='manthing']In terms of other iPhones? With the new 3.0 update next week, you won't be able to redownload an app on the iPhone.[/QUOTE]

Is that rumor, or has it been officially announced? I've seen the screenshot, but I'm still hopeful that this isn't the case.

[quote name='guessed']Is that rumor, or has it been officially announced? I've seen the screenshot, but I'm still hopeful that this isn't the case.[/QUOTE]

It's in the 3.0 beta firmware. We won't know until the 17th for sure. ;)

I can't imagine that they are going to change the limits. Previously you could install on up to 5 iPhones or iPod touches, wasn't it? I guess we'll find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back