iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can recommend PandoraBox. It shows releases and price drops from the last 72 hours. Separated into free and paid sections for each. Plus you can search for specific apps to add to your favorites list to watch for a price drop.

On that note, saw that Fantastic Contraption dropped to $2.99 for awhile.
I played the flash version enough to justify the price, haven't had time to check how the translation fared.

[quote name='morphineseason']This isn't a game, but I just came across an app called FlickTunes that's FREE for a limited time (until they release the new 1.0.1 version).

Basically it's an app that uses your existing iPhone/iPod playlist, or allows you to make a new playlist directly through the app, and then play it back using an extremely simplified interface. Another words, if you use your iPhone/iPod touch while driving, you don't even have to look at the screen to control it. Flick to the left/right to go to prev/next track, up and down flicks to pause/play. Also, the song and artist information text is enlarged and bolded.

I was just thinking today about how the iPhone is pretty impractical to use when driving, but this app makes it a little more useable.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on this one - that is a great idea! I'm definitely going to download it.

EDIT: OK, I've tried it and I definitely like the idea, although I think they could have had a way to adjust volume via gesture. For example, why not have two-finger slides adjust volume? This isn't really an issue for me, though, as when plugged into my car there is no on-iPod volume control, nor does their need to be (I adjust volume with my stereo, and my FM transmitter and our line-in are using line-level output.) However, what does matter to me is that the program seems to crash a lot. In my very brief playing with it it crashed twice. Perhaps in a total of 1 minute of test use it crashed twice, both times when I flicked left or right to skip forward/back a track. They note that 1.01 has been submitted and hopefully that addresses that issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Hell yes!

Indie support time!!!

http://www.enviro-bear.com/

eb%20ss%201.gif

it's more awesome than you think and .99 :)[/QUOTE]
"Who is driving? OMG Bear is driving! How can that be? Carful of midgets!"

Just warning CAG of another impending price *increase* - at midnight tonight, Taxiball goes from $1.99 -> $4.99.

Yes, I know - not "cheapass" for sure. But there's a lot of very strange data about App Store sales, and it's all part of our grand experiment. We'll see how it goes. :)

On the pro-CAG side of things, though - Self Aware's next game will be free. Again, part of that big experiment thing. Should be interesting. It's totally, totally different than Taxiball, so it's kind of exciting to see how this thing will do. :)

Cheers!
seppo

[quote name='crunchewy']Thanks for the heads up on this one - that is a great idea! I'm definitely going to download it.

EDIT: OK, I've tried it and I definitely like the idea, although I think they could have had a way to adjust volume via gesture. For example, why not have two-finger slides adjust volume? This isn't really an issue for me, though, as when plugged into my car there is no on-iPod volume control, nor does their need to be (I adjust volume with my stereo, and my FM transmitter and our line-in are using line-level output.) However, what does matter to me is that the program seems to crash a lot. In my very brief playing with it it crashed twice. Perhaps in a total of 1 minute of test use it crashed twice, both times when I flicked left or right to skip forward/back a track. They note that 1.01 has been submitted and hopefully that addresses that issue.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I agree it could use more features and improve a lot on the ones it currently has, but it's a decent start for a new application. I'm hoping that the update addresses those issues as well. Bottom line is that it's free right now, which you can't beat. Download now and potentially get awesome updates down the road - sounds good to me :)

Really though, Apple should have added a "car mode" with simplified gestures like this a long time ago. I suppose we'll have to wait for something like iPhone/iPod OS 4.0 to get that :roll:

[quote name='ZForce']GAH! I just bought that yesterday! :([/QUOTE]
Still well worth it @ $4, it's a steal for just a buck.
My second fav TD game, much better then that overpriced Star Defense game.

Another rush of 99 cent sales:

geoDefense
Dungeon Defense
AC-130
Chocolate Shop Frenzy
iBomber
The Battle of Pirate Bay
Knights Onrush

Maybe we will see Brothers in Arms drop to 99 cents soon since Hero of Sparta dropped.

[quote name='107proof']Return to Mysterious Island dropped to $0.99.[/QUOTE]

Anyone try this yet, the reviews look very positive.

7 Cities and I Dig It are also $0.99

I own both and could recommend either.
7 Cities is a nice looking TD with towers that earn experience and are upgradeable based on a skill unlock tree and I Dig It is a burrow for buried treasures and upgrade your digger game by selling the treasures for money game that takes awhile to get the hang of, but is quite fun.
I Dig It has a Lite version as well.

[quote name='CheapStu']Anyone try [RTMI] yet, the reviews look very positive.[/QUOTE]
I bought it when it went on sale yesterday and have had a small amount of time to dabble in it, it does justice to a point and click on the iDevice, it's pretty safe to assume if you enjoy the genre you can't go wrong for a buck unless clicking everything to find out what is interactive is a requirement for you, because everything is clearly labeled as pickup/inspect/move.

I know it's not a game, but DeliveryStatus touch is on sale for $0.99, from $2.99. I've always wanted this but $3 seemed like too much.

Also, Kineo and Swat are both FREE right now.

Knights Onrush for .99 is a must, even if you dislike the genre. It's the only time I've ever had fun with the genre and the campaign mode makes me feel like I should have paid more.

Knights is a fun little game,does anyone know how the rating system works for each level? I see you can get up to 5 stars but so far i've gotten 3 at best.

[quote name='Final Starman']Knights is a fun little game,does anyone know how the rating system works for each level? I see you can get up to 5 stars but so far i've gotten 3 at best.[/QUOTE]

the ratings are based on the difficulty you beat the level at.

Gremlin Empire is Free right now in the App Store. It's worth checking out if you like iDracula, or anything along the lines of Geometry Wars (it's not the best game, and it doesn't track high scores, but it's free and decent :) )

[quote name='ZForce']Gremlin Empire is Free right now in the App Store. It's worth checking out if you like iDracula, or anything along the lines of Geometry Wars (it's not the best game, and it doesn't track high scores, but it's free and decent :) )[/QUOTE]

For the ppl who wants this, u need 3.0 for it.

[quote name='trunks982']For the ppl who wants this, u need 3.0 for it.[/QUOTE]That is what really stinks too. I haven't seen any reason worth upgrading to 3.0 for touch users. I upgraded and got a very significant processing reduction and bad wifi reception so I downgraded back to 2.2.1

Much more stable than 3.0

[quote name='ZForce']Gremlin Empire is Free right now in the App Store. It's worth checking out if you like iDracula, or anything along the lines of Geometry Wars (it's not the best game, and it doesn't track high scores, but it's free and decent :) )[/QUOTE]

Not showing free for me

cycophuk - I think this will be interesting to watch...

One one side, developers will want to make their games available to all devices, but on the other hand 3.0 will allow developers to suck extra money out of those that do adopt the newest OS via DLC. So expect to see a lot of developers experimenting over the next few months.

I expect the same things will start happening with newer system hardware, too. iPhone and iPod touch 1G are both severely under powered compared to the iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 2G (and soon 3G), and therefore, if developers keep supporting these systems, they'll be limited in how hard they can push the system. The Real Racing guys at Firemint experimented with the new iPhone 3GS and found that they could add upwards of 40 cards on a track at a time with no slow down, whereas with the older devices, they could only add 8 (or 6?) cars without the performance taking a hit. So I expect that the developers that want to push the system as far as they can will start to require newer hardware and newer OS in the near future.

Course, only time will tell...

yeah i blindly purchased defender chronicles which is actually quite awesome...but it required 3.0, and i didn't know this until i attempted to drop the game onto my ipod. the thing is, the description didn't even say anything about needing 3.0, it just said that it was "3.0 ready." the same company's other amazing game star defense actually mentions in the description that it requires 3.0...ah well. i made the upgrade and that's that.

if anybody has any great app deals, i've been going crazy with over 60 dollars in game purchases for my touch in the past week.

If you have problems with 3.0 you can solve them by doing a sync to back up, then restore and choose to restore from your backup. You won't lose anything and 3.0 will work smooth as butter. On my first gen touch it worked great after that, but not before. It isn't slower and the WiFi works at least as well as before. There are lots of improvements in 3.0 that make it worth it. I wish they didn't have these problems requiring a restore, though.

[quote name='crunchewy']If you have problems with 3.0 you can solve them by doing a sync to back up, then restore and choose to restore from your backup. You won't lose anything and 3.0 will work smooth as butter. On my first gen touch it worked great after that, but not before. It isn't slower and the WiFi works at least as well as before. There are lots of improvements in 3.0 that make it worth it. I wish they didn't have these problems requiring a restore, though.[/QUOTE]
there is a ton of documentation out there indicating there are problems though. A big one is the Wifi dropping for a lot of people. I was one of them. 3.0 would show all the wireless connections available to me and would even connect but then the signal would just drop even though it was a strong signal. I finally got sick of it and went back to 2.2.1 and haven't had a single drop since. considering I am on the iPod touch, the wifi is a huge issue to me. Until they fix it, I won't be jumping back up to 3.0

[quote name='iowaholdem']cycophuk - I think this will be interesting to watch...

One one side, developers will want to make their games available to all devices, but on the other hand 3.0 will allow developers to suck extra money out of those that do adopt the newest OS via DLC. So expect to see a lot of developers experimenting over the next few months.

I expect the same things will start happening with newer system hardware, too. iPhone and iPod touch 1G are both severely under powered compared to the iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 2G (and soon 3G), and therefore, if developers keep supporting these systems, they'll be limited in how hard they can push the system. The Real Racing guys at Firemint experimented with the new iPhone 3GS and found that they could add upwards of 40 cards on a track at a time with no slow down, whereas with the older devices, they could only add 8 (or 6?) cars without the performance taking a hit. So I expect that the developers that want to push the system as far as they can will start to require newer hardware and newer OS in the near future.

Course, only time will tell...[/QUOTE]

again....the thing i hate about electronics; the continual need to push further and develop "better". Given Apple's latest trend on iPod prices lately, hopefully the 3G iTouch will be fairly cheap. Because i have a 1G 16gb as of now, but i need more space, and i want the built in speaker! thinking of selling it preloaded with all my apps, movies, music and crap and getting a 2G 32gb, but with a 3G coming out..i may wait

[quote name='nodoctors']yeah i blindly purchased defender chronicles which is actually quite awesome...but it required 3.0, and i didn't know this until i attempted to drop the game onto my ipod. the thing is, the description didn't even say anything about needing 3.0, it just said that it was "3.0 ready." the same company's other amazing game star defense actually mentions in the description that it requires 3.0...ah well. i made the upgrade and that's that.

if anybody has any great app deals, i've been going crazy with over 60 dollars in game purchases for my touch in the past week.[/QUOTE]

I second Defender Chronicles, I impulse bought it when it came out and was one of my best purchases to date. I'd say worth it at the full asking price of $5 and even more so for $3 while this extended introductory 40% off sale is still going.

As to the 3.0, there's a requirements section down at the bottom
[quote name='App Store']REQUIREMENTS:
Compatible with iPhone and iPod Touch
Requires OS 3.0 or greater[/QUOTE]
It's wise to check there before you buy

[quote name='crunchewy']If you have problems with 3.0 you can solve them by doing a sync to back up, then restore and choose to restore from your backup. You won't lose anything and 3.0 will work smooth as butter. On my first gen touch it worked great after that, but not before. It isn't slower and the WiFi works at least as well as before. There are lots of improvements in 3.0 that make it worth it. I wish they didn't have these problems requiring a restore, though.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying this now, do you know if it helps with power/battery related problems as well? I so much as look at it and the battery starts to drop. :lol: It does this other weird thing, I'll plug it to charge at night and it won't fully charge by morning yet my girlfriend did that same thing and hers is fine. Last night I even tried shutting it off to charge and it didn't complete. Oddly though, it doesn't do this all the time.

edit: They're both 3Gs'

[quote name='lllGurulll']there is a ton of documentation out there indicating there are problems though. A big one is the Wifi dropping for a lot of people. I was one of them. 3.0 would show all the wireless connections available to me and would even connect but then the signal would just drop even though it was a strong signal. I finally got sick of it and went back to 2.2.1 and haven't had a single drop since. considering I am on the iPod touch, the wifi is a huge issue to me. Until they fix it, I won't be jumping back up to 3.0[/QUOTE]

Do you mean that you tried a restore from backup and still had these problems? I had absolutely no wifi issues after a restore from backup. Just be aware that restoring from backup can be a very long process depending on how much stuff you have - just let it run over night. Important: don't just start the restore and go to sleep! After it installs the firmware it comes back and asks you if you want to restore from backup or not, so make sure you wait for that, as otherwise it will just be sitting there all night and have accomplished little!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Caster went on sale for .99 today. I hear it's a pretty good 3D 3rd person shooter for the platform.

016537jpg.jpeg

I played the light version and don't know what to think.[/QUOTE]

where is there a lite version? Im not seeing it.

i picked up a game over the weekend called quantum collapse, for 99 cents, its an rts similar to starcraft, it takes a little while to get the hang of it, but when you do its so worth it. its still on sale, though for 1.99 now, but easily a good deal. theyre apparently launching online skirmishes really soon.

Not sure if anyone else has posted about it but I picked up "Must Eat Birds" for .99 I think thats full price but it's a lot of fun and worth it. You slingshot some weird monster thing at birds falling from the sky to eat all the picnic food. If you do well you get a power up where you guy bounces all around eating various birds. Very cool and well worth .99.

I downloaded Moonlights for $0.99 today because it looked like a knock off of World of Goo (WiiWare, PC, Mac). It seems like it is exactly that, but with none of the presentation that made WoG so enjoyable. It might be an alright game for the dollar, so I'll play more to see how it goes.

[quote name='iowaholdem']I downloaded Moonlights for $0.99 today because it looked like a knock off of World of Goo (WiiWare, PC, Mac). It seems like it is exactly that, but with none of the presentation that made WoG so enjoyable. It might be an alright game for the dollar, so I'll play more to see how it goes.[/QUOTE]

I also downloaded this game and was a tad disappointed, I too thought it would be a lot like world of goo but it seems like an easier less enjoyable game. But I'm also only on the 5th mission so maybe it will pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back