iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='m3talst0rm']Just seen on Twitter
NimbleBit's most popular #iPhone game Scoops will be FREE tomorrow on #NationalIceCreamDay[/QUOTE]

Thank you for posting this; I had my girlfriend download it and it a very simple yet addicting game!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']smackbots is free as well as a very impressive TouchGloves Gym[/QUOTE]

I'll have to give her a heads up about these as well!

[quote name='Tybee']I'll go easy on ya, because I know you're kind of joking, but go to your local animal shelter. Take a good look. And know that most of those animals will be dead within a week (if Schwarzenegger has his way in California, they'll have 3 days -- budget cuts). It doesn't have to be this way, and if people were responsible about spaying and neutering their pets, it wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

I would think euthanization and disposing of the bodies would be more expensive--much like humans.

But really--it got to the point he was interrupting the fun of the show to bring on pets to convey his beliefs. I'm not saying what he was pitching was wrong, what I am saying is he needed to keep that fuck at the end of the show at best.

I'll cut you some slack because you have a Sullivan's Travels sig. ;)

I downloaded a featured game, Harbor Master, yesterday. It's an obvious take off of Flight Control, but a bit deeper. You have to direct boats in to ports (in the first level I saw three boat sizes), and then after they unload their cargo (just a time limit depending on the size of the boat), you have to drag them back off the screen while maneuvering more boats in.

It lacks the graphical polish of Flight Control, but does seem to do what FC does very well. As a nice touch, when two boats are about to collide, the bigger of the boats honks its horn, which, when it's the biggest boat, is a deafening wail, which really makes you pay attention!

[quote name='Watchman']I would think euthanization and disposing of the bodies would be more expensive--much like humans.

But really--it got to the point he was interrupting the fun of the show to bring on pets to convey his beliefs. I'm not saying what he was pitching was wrong, what I am saying is he needed to keep that fuck at the end of the show at best.

I'll cut you some slack because you have a Sullivan's Travels sig. ;)[/QUOTE]

You should cut him some slack? What he said was correct; he said nothing wrong.:bomb:

While we can all agree - except Watchman for some unknown reason - that pet population control via spaying/neutering is a good idea, I'm not sure this is the forum for it.

So back on track.

Taxiball dropped from $4.99 to $0.99.

And help control the pet population. Have you pets spayed or neutered.

I got the following for 0.99 cents each:

Knights on Rush - awesome game!!!
MustEatBirds - meh
Isotope - not as good as I hoped for, fingers obstructs playing field
Hero of Sparta - good
Siberian Striker - awesome top down shooter

[quote name='Pr0JectNymPh0!']I got the following for 0.99 cents each:

Knights on Rush - awesome game!!!
MustEatBirds - meh
Isotope - not as good as I hoped for, fingers obstructs playing field
Hero of Sparta - good
Siberian Striker - awesome top down shooter[/QUOTE]

Hi all, I am very curious what you guys feel are the "must have" games that you simply cannot put down because they are so awesomely addicting. I'd post this in another thread or forum but I can't find a section for iPhone games...

My personal take of Must Have's:
1. Hero of Sparta $0.99
2. Knights Onrush $0.99
3. Tiger Woods Golf $4.99
4. Tap Tap Revenge 2 $0.00
5. WildWest Pinball $0.00

(I did not like Zenonia at all.)

Tiger Woods 10 is at $4.99? Tempting... I might wait for it to hit $1.99 though.

As far as my must haves, here they are:

FieldRunners
Flight Control
Glyder
iDracula
Let's Golf
Peggle

And just to throw in an entertaining app:

FML

alien invaders is free today... looks good:

Alien1.jpg

These are some of my favorites

Knights Onrush
Bejeweled 2
Peggle
Rolando 1 & 2
Defender Chronicles
The Creeps
Geo Defense
iDracula
Texas Hold Em

Rockstars Live 60 is free today. Basic Rockstars is free but this gives you 60 points at the get go. Rockstars is a "MMO" style game of Offense, Defense, Gear, Missions etc. Basically a text-based MMO where you compete (attack) other players.

god, if you don't get taxiball at 99 cents(normally five bucks!) there is something WRONG with you. it's hands down the single greatest tilt/labyrinth style game on the iphone. the visual style is fantastic, and the quirky soundtrack is composed entirely of a guy beatboxing. it's fucking awesome. overall the game is a rather unique experience. if you mixed labyrinth, crazy taxi, and katamari damacy together you would end up taxiball. there's a free demo available too, but honestly, just buy the damn thing already and get it over with.

[quote name='nodoctors']god, if you don't get taxiball at 99 cents(normally five bucks!) there is something WRONG with you. it's hands down the single greatest tilt/labyrinth style game on the iphone. the visual style is fantastic, and the quirky soundtrack is composed entirely of a guy beatboxing. it's fucking awesome. overall the game is a rather unique experience. if you mixed labyrinth, crazy taxi, and katamari damacy together you would end up taxiball. there's a free demo available too, but honestly, just buy the damn thing already and get it over with.[/QUOTE]
Haha taxiball is awesome thanks for the tip.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']alien invaders is free today... looks good:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up; my girlfriend said it's really fun, haha

I've really been enjoying underworlds ($.99 on sale now). It may not be Diablo, but then again what is. Very enjoyable, although I'm only a little bit in.

Right there with you on underworlds. Best .99 cents I've spent in a long time. Took me 3.5 hrs of playtime to beat. Fun game.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but Star Shower dropped to free. With any luck it is exactly what it looks like (which would be a clone of the slingshot bob-omb minigame from Mario 64 DS)

Edit: barely touched it, but it is basically just exactly that minigame from SM64DS. Something about it feels slightly off from what I was expecting, but I can't put my finger on it. I'll search around for my DS cart to compare notes, but off the top of my head the only thing jarring is that the rubber band/slingshot just floats in midair. It's exactly what it was in it's first incarnation, a minigame, I can see fiddling with this during brief moments of spare time. Especially considering I didn't pay anything for it.

my top games so far:

peggle
knights on rush
aurora feint II
siberian striker

i have yet to try hero of sparta, i'll try that next. then read through the thread for recommendations.

[quote name='nodoctors']god, if you don't get taxiball at 99 cents(normally five bucks!) there is something WRONG with you. it's hands down the single greatest tilt/labyrinth style game on the iphone. the visual style is fantastic, and the quirky soundtrack is composed entirely of a guy beatboxing. it's fucking awesome. overall the game is a rather unique experience. if you mixed labyrinth, crazy taxi, and katamari damacy together you would end up taxiball. there's a free demo available too, but honestly, just buy the damn thing already and get it over with.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Thanks!! :D

Taxiball will be a buck 'till tomorrow, after which it may or may not go up dollar. It's part of a sort of bizarre contest I came up with. If you look around a bit, you'll be able to find the rules. Hehehehe.

Essentially, re: pricing - if Taxiball breaks into the top 100/75/50/25/10/1 paid apps, the $0.99 price is extended. If it stays where it is or drops, the price increases by a dollar. While that makes no sense on its own, there's a reason that it is the way it is. If you want more details, check out our blog. ;)

But basically, if you want it for a buck, it'll only be guaranteed at that price until Monday night.
seppo

[quote name='iowaholdem']While we can all agree - except Watchman for some unknown reason - that pet population control via spaying/neutering is a good idea...
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Watchman']
I'm not saying what he was pitching was wrong, what I am saying is he needed to keep that fuck at the end of the show at best.
[/QUOTE]

Now, would you like to misquote me again? :dunce:

Watchman, I was only joking around and trying to get back on topic, friend.

Anyways, I think I might nab Taxiball at $0.99 today. Everyone seems to rave about it, but I was holding out to win it in one of seppo's contests, but I don't think I'll end up getting the prize. Glad to see it's back down to $0.99 instead of $4.99 which is a price I'd reserve only for the best of the best.

You know what I was just thinking I'd love to see on the iPhone?

An iDracula clone (since iDracula hasn't seen an update in ages) with a more mission based single player progression and story, along with very stylistic (either cel-shaded or cartoony) graphics and over-the-top blood. I bet that'd be a blast.

Or, what I really would wish to see from MoreGames (developer of iDracula), would be iDracula controls/gameplay in their new vampire game (seems the new control scheme isn't very good). Or, in that same vein, iDracula running on the new vampire game's engine (but still with iDracula controls).

EDIT: I was just thinking, MoreGames really nailed the dual analog controls (with auto-fire) on iDracula. I've yet to see any game execute as well as that game did. I suppose an over-the-shoulder dual analog shooter would be more difficult as you may not want auto-fire on, though if it were a 3rd person hoard shooter (like iDracula), I think it'd be just as effective if the developer can keep the frame rate up. Wishful thinking, I'm sure...

EDIT 2: I still think that anyone that doesn't buy iDracula ($2.99) is absolutely barking. What an awesome pick-up-and-play game.

[quote name='iowaholdem']You know what I was just thinking I'd love to see on the iPhone?

An iDracula clone (since iDracula hasn't seen an update in ages) with a more mission based single player progression and story, along with very stylistic (either cel-shaded or cartoony) graphics and over-the-top blood. I bet that'd be a blast.[/QUOTE]

If you haven't, check out Isotope—it's $1.99 or $2.99 now, and it's a very RPG-ish approach to a Geometry Wars dual-stick shooter. You have experience levels for guns and shields, can buy dozens of different ships each with different stats and weapons, and it's got a planet structure similar to Geometry Wars Galaxies. It's all Geometry Wars-ish vector graphics and such, but otherwise it's exactly what you're looking for.

[quote name='helava']Wow! Thanks!! :D

Taxiball will be a buck 'till tomorrow, after which it may or may not go up dollar. It's part of a sort of bizarre contest I came up with. If you look around a bit, you'll be able to find the rules. Hehehehe.

Essentially, re: pricing - if Taxiball breaks into the top 100/75/50/25/10/1 paid apps, the $0.99 price is extended. If it stays where it is or drops, the price increases by a dollar. While that makes no sense on its own, there's a reason that it is the way it is. If you want more details, check out our blog. ;)

But basically, if you want it for a buck, it'll only be guaranteed at that price until Monday night.
seppo[/QUOTE]

I picked it up last night. While I'm not a fan of rolling games (mainly rolando and loco roco), this is prob the first I've ever enjoyed :)

planning to get into iphone/touch development starting next month. trying to get a team together on TIGsource at some point.

toucharcade just pointed out some good $0.99 sales to consider:

Isotope (great timing, going to download soon)
Taxiball (may also download soon)
Caster (will consider)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I picked it up last night. While I'm not a fan of rolling games (mainly rolando and loco roco), this is prob the first I've ever enjoyed :)

planning to get into iphone/touch development starting next month. trying to get a team together on TIGsource at some point.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Glad to hear you're enjoying it. A weird little note about the development of the controls - back when we first started working on the game, Colin (the other co-founder of Self Aware) spent a lot of time getting the controls really physically accurate. The ball behaved almost exactly as a ball would in real life, and was really pretty awesome. I mean, not super-different from your other Labyrinth games, but hey, we were getting our feet wet with this, so it was a good start.

What was funny was that while people liked realism for Labyrinth games, everyone we had beta-test Taxiball *hated* the initial controls. I think maybe because we weren't trying to create a realistic simulation of a real thing that people were familiar with, they expected something different. So, we took everyone's feedback, and in the end, added some acceleration and braking "assistance" - so if you're chugging along in one direction, then tilt hard in the opposite direction, you're not just getting the "realistic" physical forces involved, you're actually getting a bit of help from the game code. Same thing with when you accelerate hard (if you've got the sound on, you can sometimes hear an "Vroom!" or a braking screech, in the more extreme cases).

So, if you hated other tilt-controlled games, but are finding Taxiball's controls alright, that's probably the reason. :)

Woo!
seppo

[quote name='helava']Wow! Thanks!! :D

seppo[/QUOTE]

I just tried out the free version of Taxiball the other day...great stuff!
I think I'll be picking it up today then, thanks for the heads up on the pricing. Now I need to go back and read those contest rules again...

Wordflipper is FREE today
and
Eagle is FREE today (Landing on the moon type game)

Couldn't tell ya if either are any good but they are free!

[quote name='helava']Awesome! Glad to hear you're enjoying it. A weird little note about the development of the controls - back when we first started working on the game, Colin (the other co-founder of Self Aware) spent a lot of time getting the controls really physically accurate. The ball behaved almost exactly as a ball would in real life, and was really pretty awesome. I mean, not super-different from your other Labyrinth games, but hey, we were getting our feet wet with this, so it was a good start.

What was funny was that while people liked realism for Labyrinth games, everyone we had beta-test Taxiball *hated* the initial controls. I think maybe because we weren't trying to create a realistic simulation of a real thing that people were familiar with, they expected something different. So, we took everyone's feedback, and in the end, added some acceleration and braking "assistance" - so if you're chugging along in one direction, then tilt hard in the opposite direction, you're not just getting the "realistic" physical forces involved, you're actually getting a bit of help from the game code. Same thing with when you accelerate hard (if you've got the sound on, you can sometimes hear an "Vroom!" or a braking screech, in the more extreme cases).

So, if you hated other tilt-controlled games, but are finding Taxiball's controls alright, that's probably the reason. :)

Woo!
seppo[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think you found the reason for me why I like it alot better with your game.

Looking forward to whatever you guys are working on ;)

I hope whatever dev team I am able to pull together that we are at least half as able as you guys :lol:

Thanks, RR - if I could pass along any useful advice, it'd be this:

1.) keep at it. When you're building a team, it's difficult to find people who are going to be as committed as you are. If it's a part-time endeavor, expect 95% of the people you talk to to not follow through. You'll find the right people, but it will probably take time.

2.) keep it simple. I know this seems obvious, but even as an experienced developer, the temptation to just add a little more can make a project spiral out of control. What you want to do is first build something you can *finish*. If it's not a AAA-quality Halo-killer, that's fine. Once you've finished a game, the experience you have under your belt will be much, much more valuable than anything else.

Good luck!
seppo

[quote name='helava']Thanks, RR - if I could pass along any useful advice, it'd be this:

1.) keep at it. When you're building a team, it's difficult to find people who are going to be as committed as you are. If it's a part-time endeavor, expect 95% of the people you talk to to not follow through. You'll find the right people, but it will probably take time.

2.) keep it simple. I know this seems obvious, but even as an experienced developer, the temptation to just add a little more can make a project spiral out of control. What you want to do is first build something you can *finish*. If it's not a AAA-quality Halo-killer, that's fine. Once you've finished a game, the experience you have under your belt will be much, much more valuable than anything else.

Good luck!
seppo[/QUOTE]

great advice.

I've actually had multiple development teams put together, but most of the time I intentionally had them dissolved due to everyone wanting to go beyond all our abilities (ie. a 3d figher with superb animation and whatnot... ie, unrealistic with who we had on our team :lol:) even after me making meetings setup with everyone to have very simple games made.

I'll keep trying, though after this many years of trying I'm almost nearing the end of my string :lol:

I've had no luck in Miami finding local people to work with so my only choice now is the internet.

again, thanks for the advice I can easily back up.

Glad everyone's liking SkyVoyager. I actually haven't had a chance to grab it yet, since I'm still at work and you can't dl it directly to the iPhone because it's so massive. I'm paranoid they're going to pull the deal early (they were also offering their full Mac app for 1 cent today before their service provider forced them to end it due to massive bandwidth crush).

Thanks for the heads up on the free stuff guys.

Does anyone know if you can download Apps using iTunes on your computer and then download them to your iPhone or iTouch later?

I only ask because I might be getting an iTouch later on down the line, but I'd like to build up my Apps library with some of the cool free stuff now so that I'd have a lot to do when I did eventually get one.

[quote name='lolwut?']Thanks for the heads up on the free stuff guys.

Does anyone know if you can download Apps using iTunes on your computer and then download them to your iPhone or iTouch later?

I only ask because I might be getting an iTouch later on down the line, but I'd like to build up my Apps library with some of the cool free stuff now so that I'd have a lot to do when I did eventually get one.[/QUOTE]

Yup. You can just get it in iTunes and sync it over when you get your iPhone/iPod Touch.

[quote name='doubledown']SkyGazer is also free....not sure what it really is, but I grabbed it.[/QUOTE]

I think it's just the lite version of SkyVoyager, but not sure.

[quote name='Tybee']I think it's just the lite version of SkyVoyager, but not sure.[/QUOTE]
Grab Skyvoyager, it is absolutely awesome. Skygazer is the free/lite version that is less advanced. Very cool find! Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back