iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='walletandgromice']While I've never regretted my BookWorm purchase, honestly, Word Ace, FTW.

Boggle + Poker + Online Play + Free = EPIC WIN.

I can't even begin to convey how bad the idea sounds, and yet how amazing the execution is. It's insanity.

Also, I think someone from self-aware games is a CAG-er, so you have to respect that.[/QUOTE]

Hey! That's me! :D

Thanks for recommending Word Ace. We've been trying to get it on peoples' radar, but that's the big challenge on the iPhone - just getting people aware your game exists. So, thanks - you've helped us out in the best way possible! :)

seppo

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Is Duke Nukem 3D worth it for .99 even with the control issues and new control schemes?[/QUOTE]

i thought it was fine using the original digital controls with tap to shoot at 2.99. it's the dual analog stick controls that have issues, but the setup i use runs perfect. it's definitely worth it at a dollar.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Anyone have any opinions on F.A.S.T?[/QUOTE]
As someone who doesn't play Flight Combat Sims very often, I enjoyed it for $1. Although I haven't played any of the more recent updates which I see are cause for a few complaints in some of the iTunes reviews.

It is a technically impressive game though and I enjoyed it even without dabbling in Wi-Fi multiplayer. I'd have no trouble recommending it, especially if you're looking for Flight Combat.

iBlast Moki just came out and is on sale for $1.99 for a limited time. It looks like a collision of Loco Roco and Little Big Planet. Very highly reviewed and supports user generated content via the Plus network.

Ew I sound like a damn commercial.

I'm always plugging Word Ace, I love it.

Castle of Magic is down to .99 not sure if that was posted yet.

Any impressions on Krazy Kart Racer? Looks fun.

The Duke sale is interesting... When the game came out, it was $2.99 as an introductory price. Many scooped it up to catch it. They later learned it had control issues. The $2.99 price was extended indefinitely. The patched version was released one month after submission to Apple. Now a 99c sale? This might be the only time I have felt slighted by a sale. Oh well :(

Ditto the positives on Word Ace - great game. When is the Facebook version going to be out. I saw someone playing it with Facebook, but when I search for it there is no sign of it. I'm ready to recommend it there as well as soon as it's available.

Quick question for everyone. What brand of screen protector do you use? I'm thinking about getting an Invisible Shield screen protector for the front and a Belkin case. Thoughts?

[quote name='ZForce915']Quick question for everyone. What brand of screen protector do you use? I'm thinking about getting an Invisible Shield screen protector for the front and a Belkin case. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Ive used invisible shield but right now I'm using bodyguardz it doesn't have the tacky feel as invisible shield does.

[quote name='blue ocarina']As someone who doesn't play Flight Combat Sims very often, I enjoyed it for $1. Although I haven't played any of the more recent updates which I see are cause for a few complaints in some of the iTunes reviews.

It is a technically impressive game though and I enjoyed it even without dabbling in Wi-Fi multiplayer. I'd have no trouble recommending it, especially if you're looking for Flight Combat.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, I think I am going to try it out.

[quote name='TheRock88']I use a Power Support antiglare screen protector and a PS Clear Air Jacket case.[/QUOTE]

Juevos. I drop mine too much to not use a case that doesn't offer some edge/face protection

I use a ZAGG screen protector and a Speck armor case.

base_media

I picked up, on clearance ($30), one of those incase battery case deals, that doubles your battery life for when I game- or go an a long flight. It is too damn bulky to pocket otherwise. I imagine that is why they are discontinued.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Juevos. I drop mine too much to not use a case that doesn't offer some edge/face protection

I use a ZAGG screen protector and a Speck armor case.

base_media

I picked up, on clearance ($30), one of those incase battery case deals, that doubles your battery life for when I game- or go an a long flight. It is too damn bulky to pocket otherwise. I imagine that is why they are discontinued.[/QUOTE]

Yea, only thing I'm worried about is dropping it and damaging the front but luckily I havent done it yet (knocks on wood). Otherwise it's the slickest case I've seen so far. It doesnt even look like you have a case on it.

2008080812355532.jpg

So for a game like samurai, when you search for the app it says 2.99, but when you click on the page, the blue 'buy' button says .99. What price will I be charged?

[quote name='seanr1221']So for a game like samurai, when you search for the app it says 2.99, but when you click on the page, the blue 'buy' button says .99. What price will I be charged?[/QUOTE]

It is a very safe bet that you'll pay what the button says. My money is on .99 cents.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']If your looking for an iphone case check out monoprice.com. For less than $2 got an excellent case.[/QUOTE]

did same here. I ordered a rubber case and hard case for my touch and both are pretty good for what you pay ($1 each).

[quote name='crunchewy']Ditto the positives on Word Ace - great game. When is the Facebook version going to be out. I saw someone playing it with Facebook, but when I search for it there is no sign of it. I'm ready to recommend it there as well as soon as it's available.[/QUOTE]

It looks like Word Ace on Facebook, in an ideal world, is only a week or two away. We're currently beta testing, and wrapping up the last few features, so it shouldn't be long now. When it first launches, you'll have to start a separate account, but we're hoping to have account linking (where you can take your iPhone/Pre account and link it to your Facebook account so everything shares the same data (photos, chips, name, friends, awards, etc.)) online shortly thereafter.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!
seppo

[quote name='blue ocarina']As someone who doesn't play Flight Combat Sims very often, I enjoyed it for $1. Although I haven't played any of the more recent updates which I see are cause for a few complaints in some of the iTunes reviews.

It is a technically impressive game though and I enjoyed it even without dabbling in Wi-Fi multiplayer. I'd have no trouble recommending it, especially if you're looking for Flight Combat.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, I have had a ball just working through the exercises. I can see why people want this ported to a PSP mini, it's fantastic. I can't wait to try the multi-player.

I'm contemplating getting an iPod Touch, but want to look at the options in regards to games. I have looked at the sites mentioned in this thread and they are kind of a mess for what i need. Is there a better site out there that catalogs the games based on genre? I don't necessarily need reviews, but maybe user comments would be nice.

Ok, I've had some time with iBlast Moki and give it the ShaqFu seal of approval. It really does remind me of littlebigplanet meets locoroco but in a very good way. Hopefully we get what happened with lbp and the community starts creating some mind blowing levels. Very much worth $1.99.

As to case/screen protector, I don't have anything to compare against, but I'm very satisfied with my Monoprice screen protector and silicone case. I ordered 5 screen protectors and 3 cases for about $13 shipped.

Glad to hear you're enjoying F.A.S.T.

I'll check out iBlast Moki, sounds like my thing.

[quote name='ryanflucas'] I had this happen to my 1st gen touch and I was able to fix it by restoring it thru iTunes (erasing and restoring the iPod OS + apps).[/QUOTE]Damn, this didn't work for me. I might still have to try that website you mentioned...

Adding to the case discussion - I primarily use a Moshi iPouch. I've had one for years that I used to use with my old iRiver H320, and a couple of my older mobiles. Grabbed a new one late last year, and it fits the iphone perfectly. Keeps it safe, cleans it, and is slim and soft.

I had a screen protector on (I've got a 3GS), but after the corner pulled up, I took it off and said fuck it. I keep it in the pouch all the time except when it's in use, so the thing is, uh, naked for now, and has been for a while.
I've also got one of the crystal hard cases from monoprice, and it's pretty good too. I'm debating a new screen protector, and will probably go for a bestskinever.com set...

Hi everyone. Jimney Chimney is a free game that a friend of a friend made. Try it out, its free after all. He's planning on making some updates to it soon (more game modes, leader boards, ect.).

Anyone here having battery life issues with the 3.1 update? I slept my phone at night at 85% and wake up and it is at like 38%. I've seen some articles online with other people having the same issue, curious if any CAG are having it and if you have found a fix?

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Anyone here having battery life issues with the 3.1 update? I slept my phone at night at 85% and wake up and it is at like 38%. I've seen some articles online with other people having the same issue, curious if any CAG are having it and if you have found a fix?[/QUOTE]

First thing I would check is Usage. I've left things on my phone when I put it to sleep (say the Facebook app) and it'll end up refreshing every 10 minutes or something. Then when I get it later, the battery drained a lot. But usage should tell you if the phone was used during that time. One time, I hadn't used it but 15 minutes in the morning and when I looked at it in the afternoon, the battery was down 25% but the usage was clocked at 1 and 1/2 hours, which was way more than I'd actually used it. After closing Facebook, it was normal. Of course, there is some investigation around battery life with 3.1 and I don't doubt others have issues but on my 32GB 3GS, it seems the same as it was with 3.0.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Just heard back from DTS!

Sent them an email 9 days ago and they sent me my $10 iTunes code this morning. Excellent.[/QUOTE]

yup i got mine too.

WOOHOO!

If you're having battery issues, make sure you:

Disable notifications (push), even if it's not enabled. (or disable it at night)
Disable Wi-Fi if you're not using it. (or at night)
Completely shut down your touch/phone every few days.

If you want to test for a hardware vs software battery issue, back it up and factory restore it then set it up "as a new phone" and use it like that for a day to see if you still have a quick drain. If your battery works better with a fresh install, consider starting over and re-syncing rather than restoring from a backup. If not, it could be a hardware (battery health) issue.

[quote name='WeLoveDaisuke']If you're having battery issues, make sure you:

Disable notifications (push), even if it's not enabled. (or disable it at night)
Disable Wi-Fi if you're not using it. (or at night)
Completely shut down your touch/phone every few days.

If you want to test for a hardware vs software battery issue, back it up and factory restore it then set it up "as a new phone" and use it like that for a day to see if you still have a quick drain. If your battery works better with a fresh install, consider starting over and re-syncing rather than restoring from a backup. If not, it could be a hardware (battery health) issue.[/QUOTE]

Some of us need push on.
I wish BT wasn't buried in the settings menu. One too many clicks to get there compared to wifi.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Some of us need push on.
I wish BT wasn't buried in the settings menu. One too many clicks to get there compared to wifi.[/QUOTE]
Ain't that the truth...

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Some of us need push on.
I wish BT wasn't buried in the settings menu. One too many clicks to get there compared to wifi.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh..SBSettings are your friend....

[quote name='Shimrra']Those are some sweet cases, sucks I can't use them I have the 1st gen iPhone.[/QUOTE]
The iPouch that I'm using would work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back