iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='manthing']Not everyone's willing to jailbreak[/QUOTE]

yeah..thats a shame.....you can jailbreak and still do everything else normally. You don't have to pirate games or tether or whatever. You can jailbreak and just get the few tweaks that make using the phone the difference between night and day. The phone doesnt even know it's jailbroken. If anything happens you can always use restore too.

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah..thats a shame.....you can jailbreak and still do everything else normally. You don't have to pirate games or tether or whatever. You can jailbreak and just get the few tweaks that make using the phone the difference between night and day. The phone doesnt even know it's jailbroken. If anything happens you can always use restore too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, ok. My experience with jailbreaking was that I jailbroke, and it worked great for about four hours. Then Cydia started to just fail to run -- nothing that I could do would make it work, it would just open briefly and then crash every time. I tried re-jailbreaking, but that didn't fix it. I found instructions for what might have been a fix through SSH, but I hadn't gotten around to installing SSH yet and needed Cydia to do it, so that was pretty much useless too. It ended up being that the only way that I could make it work again would have been to do a restore on my phone, and then start over again.

Oh, yeah, and the function that I had jailbroken for (Categories) sucked, because there was a long delay between touching the folder icon and the folder actually opening, which got annoying very quickly. So my main point to jailbreaking in the first place was pretty much a no-go.

Thus ended my experiment with jailbreaking. I did a restore and didn't bother re-jailbreaking it. Honestly, I place jailbreaking in the same category that I place Linux -- it's a nice idea, but if I have to spend more time trying to make it function usefully than I do actually using it, it's not worth it.

No offense to anyone but I think it's asinine that the best solution for the iphone's battery problem is to essentially turn off damn near everything on the phone. I'm sure my battery would last forever if I kept it off all day.

I really wish apple would allow programs like android's useful switches or have profiles in which you could preset brightness settings, volume, wifi etc according to environment.

I don't usually like to thread crap ... but it would be sweet to find a game deal or two in this thread ;-)

Now that I have your attention, anyone know when Dungeon Hunter is coming back to the app store?

Not a game, but DC Tracker is free for an allegedly limited time. Only useful in DC, but perhaps handy if so. It gives GPS arrival time info for DC metrobus and metrorail. It can show the stops nearby on a map, like Google Maps. Only downside is it only covers metrobus and not other bus systems.

[quote name='alison']Stolen from SlickDeals: Spore Origins is on sale for $0.99.[/QUOTE]

How good is Spore Origins? But for $0.99 maybe I could give it a shot.

[quote name='homerojay']How good is Spore Origins? But for $0.99 maybe I could give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

I got it free from best buy when i bought my ipod. I would say its worth 99 cents. It does get kinda repetitive though.

Spore Origins is a really basic game ... it doesn't really ever lead into anything bigger, the way Spore actually did. I found it to be somewhat disappointing, outside of being a pick up and play game that you can put down easily and not mind doing so. Personally with some of the meatier options available now, I'd pass on Spore and go with something newer that's also on sale.

[quote name='etcrane']Spore Origins is a really basic game ... it doesn't really ever lead into anything bigger, the way Spore actually did. I found it to be somewhat disappointing, outside of being a pick up and play game that you can put down easily and not mind doing so. Personally with some of the meatier options available now, I'd pass on Spore and go with something newer that's also on sale.[/QUOTE]

I was disappointed by Spore an all platforms. I was expecting it to be like Flow but with the ability to customize your creature. Flow did it automatically when you ate other creatures. You could play that game and see the progress of life & evolution in 2 hours flat.

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/puzzle/flow/index.html

and it can be played in flash form in your browser here:
http://www.kcet.org/explore-ca/web-stories/games/flow/index.php

I'm contemplating writing an email to the developer to suggest he port this to the App Store. Partly because I really enjoyed it, and partly because since I play my touch so much I've ignored my PSP for months. Having this on my touch would be nice to play when I want to relax.

I could be wrong but wasn't there a controversy around 6 months ago regarding someone who released an app that was a blatant rip-off of FLOW and the creator claimed that he coded it from the ground up and it was an homage to FLOW? Again, I could be crazy ... but there might be something like FLOW on the app store

Ah ... this ... http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174939

[quote name='etcrane']I could be wrong but wasn't there a controversy around 6 months ago regarding someone who released an app that was a blatant rip-off of FLOW and the creator claimed that he coded it from the ground up and it was an homage to FLOW? Again, I could be crazy ... but there might be something like FLOW on the app store

Ah ... this ... http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174939[/QUOTE]

Yea I saw the same story awhile back kinda bs on that guys part not to even give Flow credit when he released his version on the app store.

Picked up Spore:Origins. It's ok, not great. But I won't complain at spending a dollar for it. I will say some of the tilt controls seem to get a little fidgety, but I guess that's to be expected.

I should get my iPod Touch from Amazon tomorrow, and I'm trying to grab some great, cheap games. Picked up Spore: Origins when I saw it said that it was 90 % off, and probably about to grab Star Defense since they're $0.99 each. Can anybody name off some free or really cheap ($1-2) games that are worth the time playing them? Looking through lists and such right now, but love to follow recommendations from CAGs.

[quote name='brett2007']Aquatica shows up in iTunes for me. Looks like an aquarium, why was it supposedly pulled?[/QUOTE]
I believe the source code was stolen from the fl0w creator.

[quote name='brett2007']Aquatica shows up in iTunes for me. Looks like an aquarium, why was it supposedly pulled?[/QUOTE]

aquatica was pulled because it's a complete rip-of of Flow.

The game you see in itunes is not the game that was pulled.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I believe the source code was stolen from the fl0w creator.[/QUOTE]
no, it was a fan remake. theft was not involved.

StickyWaffles, I'd recommend the following:

iBlast Moki 1.99
Harbor Master .99
RUN! .99
Lion Pride .99
WordAce -free
Knights OnRush .99

some of these have free lite versions you can check out

[quote name='daminion']aquatica was pulled because it's a complete rip-of of Flow.

The game you see in itunes is not the game that was pulled.

no, it was a fan remake. theft was not involved.[/QUOTE]
Well that's not so bad. Let's just call it an artistic appropriation.

[quote name='hollowfreak']... if that's the case, I wonder when they'll be pulling Alive 4-ever.[/QUOTE]
A 2D version of a 3D game is different from a nearly complete copy of a game.

[quote name='StickyWaffles']I should get my iPod Touch from Amazon tomorrow, and I'm trying to grab some great, cheap games. Picked up Spore: Origins when I saw it said that it was 90 % off, and probably about to grab Star Defense since they're $0.99 each. Can anybody name off some free or really cheap ($1-2) games that are worth the time playing them? Looking through lists and such right now, but love to follow recommendations from CAGs.[/QUOTE]

I'll throw in a vote for Alphabetic (try the lite version) and Memovator.

[quote name='Malik112099']Did anyone know Lumines was out!? Grabbing it now.[/QUOTE]
I might be too late, but I'd recommend staying away from it. Bad controls, stripped-down features (no puzzle or vs computer modes), and charging for skin packs as dlc in the future. You're only really getting a "lite" game for 2.99.

Bought Alive 4-Ever because it looks awesome, had a positive review from toucharcade, and it's only $0.99. The fact that it has some similarites to Left 4 Dead made me want it even more, so good decision by them.

I downloaded the demos suggested so far, thanks for those. Very likely to buy Zenonia ($2, 9 from IGN, best RPG it seems), Star Defense ($1, 9 from IGN, best tower defense, but would love more great TD games, so please suggest any cheap ones in this genre), NFL 2010 ($3, 7.5 from IGN, doubt Madden is too much better, and I definitely want a football game) and Knights OnRush ($1, 8.5 from IGN).

Is there a list of games made by CAGs anywhere? Would definitely like to support some of our own.

EDIT- Grabbed geoFighter - Light Wars, thanks for the tip.

[quote name='StickyWaffles']Star Defense ($1, 9 from IGN, best tower defense, but would love more great TD games, so please suggest any cheap ones in this genre),[/QUOTE]Top TD picks:

1. Fieldrunners ($2.99)
2. geoDefense Swarm ($0.99)
3. geoDefense ($0.99)

[quote name='manthing']Geofighter shows up on my iPhone App Store as 'free' in the search results, but the Buy Now button shows it as 99 cents.[/QUOTE]
Are you doing it in iTunes or through the phone?
It's showing free on the phone's app store.

[quote name='dmunkee']Dance Dance Revolution S is on sale. Dropped from $6.99 to $.99. Definitely picking it up for that price, I played the demo a lot but it only had one song.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up!! Unfortunately, while when I search for it on my iPhone it does show up in the list as 99 cents, but when I click on it to see the details it says $6.99. No doubt a temporary hiccup, so I'll just try again later.

EDIT: and just like that, now it's working. Downloading it as I type....

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Are you doing it in iTunes or through the phone?
It's showing free on the phone's app store.[/QUOTE]

It's working now.

[quote name='manthing']It's working now.[/QUOTE]
It's not bad at all, and is great for a freebie.
I think the mini-proximity HUD thing really helps make up for the pan and scan screen and balances out the clunky controls.

Ragdoll Blaster should be dropped to $0.99. The list shows $0.99 but the iPhone app page shows $1.99. I'm sure this will be fixed soon (as the iTunes app store reflects the sales price correctly).

What is the best way to handle something disappearing from your iPhone?
iMech is apparently gone off my phone after I had to do a revert & restore from back-up (oddly stuff I had bought after that is showing up from the restore).
It's not showing up anywhere in applications on iTunes; however, I do have the email receipt.

Edit: Found it
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Wow, only after the "you already bought this do you really want to buy it again" warning do you get the: oh hai yea you can DL again for free.
Very intuitive apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shaqfuing shit, 8bitone has one of the coolest credits sequences EVAR.

Also, the regular DDR is also on sale but you all probably noticed by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back