iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Topple 2 Plus+ is now free on the app store. Not sure if it's a permanent drop or a temporary one.

Also: Prairie Chute is free. Haven't tried it yet but from what I've read it's a pretty good time waster.

[quote name='DtotheP']Topple 2 is showing as $.99 for me. Guess I missed it. Damn.[/QUOTE]

There are two on the app store -- "Topple 2" (which is $0.99), and "Topple 2 Plus+" (which is free) -- other than the "Plus+ network" thing, I'm not sure what the difference is (if there is any difference beyond that).

[quote name='DtotheP']Topple 2 is showing as $.99 for me. Guess I missed it. Damn.[/QUOTE]

Yeah 2 topples showed up in search for me.
I picked up the free one.

.99 cent games I've gotten recently that may or may not have been mentioned earlier:

Block Breaker Deluxe 2. Best breakout clone out there.

Castle of Magic. Gameloft's old-school platformer. Good fun, but I'm not far into it. Comes highly reviewed.

Flight Control - If you don't have this and/or Harbor Master, you're not doing casual Iphone gaming right.

Dr. Awesome - good motion-based Qix clone

Wild West Guns - score attack light-gun style game with top-notch production values

[quote name='seanr1221']Are there ever any deals on iTunes cards?[/QUOTE]
Costco has had $30 in iTunes cards for $20 several times, especially around the holidays.

Best Buy and Wal-Mart have both done buy two $10 cards and get one free (maybe even Target, not sure).
I generally wait to load up on them then, it's been about 2-3 months since I have caught a sale.

[quote name='crunchewy']Plants vs. zombies is officially coming to the iPod touch? I'll wait then, but I really they don't gimp it like they did with Peggle (no music and no sign of the long-promised update that would add it.)[/QUOTE]

Hahaahhah!! You think the iPhone version is gimped!? You should play the Blackberry version.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Well, I will say this. Topple2 sucks.[/QUOTE]

i'm with you there... on my touch it dosnt even play propperly since it's stuttering every second.

[quote name='seanr1221']I grabbed T-pain and never laughed this much before. It's
awesome.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea who this t-pain guy is, am I gonna get my buck's worth out of it with friends? Yes, I've seen the video and what the app can do.

[quote name='Malik112099']Hahaahhah!! You think the iPhone version (of Peggle) is gimped!? You should play the Blackberry version.[/QUOTE]Yeah, and have you seen the DS version? Terrible...

[quote name='iowaholdem']Yeah, and have you seen the DS version? Terrible...[/QUOTE]

I guess maybe because I've only played it on the iPhone and the DS, I don't see what the problem is with them. What are these versions lacking that is in others? (other than music, apparently, which I don't particularly give a damn about -- I get the sense that any music that would accompany this game would annoy me quickly anyway.)

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Costco has had $30 in iTunes cards for $20 several times, especially around the holidays.

Best Buy and Wal-Mart have both done buy two $10 cards and get one free (maybe even Target, not sure).
I generally wait to load up on them then, it's been about 2-3 months since I have caught a sale.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... anyone know if iTunes cards will count as "accessories" in the b2g1 sale upcoming at TRU? If so I'll be buying some of those!

[quote name='crunchewy']Hmm... anyone know if iTunes cards will count as "accessories" in the b2g1 sale upcoming at TRU? If so I'll be buying some of those![/QUOTE]

I wish. They usually exclude gift cards with all promotions.

[quote name='arcane93']I guess maybe because I've only played it on the iPhone and the DS, I don't see what the problem is with them. What are these versions lacking that is in others? (other than music, apparently, which I don't particularly give a damn about -- I get the sense that any music that would accompany this game would annoy me quickly anyway.)[/QUOTE]

You need to try the PC/Mac version. I don't usually care about music in games either, but there is something about the music in Peggle that just adds to the experience. A big part of Peggle is the production values and music.

As for the DS version, it is missing the aplomb of the PC/Mac version - no production values due to low-res graphics and choppy animation. The iPhone version has the graphics and animation but is missing the music. The DS version has the music, but is missing the graphics and animation (the quality of). In this game, both of those things make a difference. I really didn't enjoy the DS version either, needless to say.

Oh well, maybe eventually they'll actually produce the update they promised so long ago....

[quote name='iowaholdem']Yeah, and have you seen the DS version? Terrible...[/QUOTE]

You're in the minority on that one. Personally, I think the DS version is one of the best versions out there. The iPhone version is OK. Not great, but still better than the lion's share of games on the iPhone.

[quote name='KingDox']wow, Blue Block is awesome. Thanks for the heads up.[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad I got in on it being free. I love this type of game.

Downloaded Topple 2 for free, though I'm not sure why as I really didn't think Topple 1 was all that fun in practice. Maybe this version is better? Guess I'll find out.

Levers and Prairie Chute really aren't worth it. Topple isn't either.

Waiting with baited breath for deals on Oregon Trail, Blades of Fury, Rolando 2, and Hybrid

[quote name='RollingSkull']Levers and Prairie Chute really aren't worth it. Topple isn't either.

Waiting with baited breath for deals on Oregon Trail, Blades of Fury, Rolando 2, and Hybrid[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. If Oregon Trail was to just hit the $1.99 or less barrier... I'd be all up on that.

iBlast Moki is now 99 cents this weekend. It's worth checking out. I've played it and it has some nice physics and fan made levels. I'm gonna buy it now.

http://appshopper.com/games/iblast-moki

Also, the update for Alive-4-ever is out in case anyone was interested. Price is up to 1.99 though.

http://appshopper.com/games/alive-4-ever

Price drop on Crazy Penguin Catapult 2 to 99 cents. It has a 4 star rating. Personally, I find the game enjoyable, but damn frustrating when I can't catapult the penguins correctly.

http://appshopper.com/games/crazy-penguin-catapult-2

[quote name='mkernan']Totally not a game, but I think the average CAG could find DropBox very useful.

From the site:

"Dropbox is software that syncs your files online and across your computers.

Put your files into your Dropbox on one computer, and they'll be instantly available on any of your other computers that you've installed Dropbox on (Windows, Mac, and Linux too!) Because a copy of your files are stored on Dropbox's secure servers, you can also access them from any computer or mobile device using the Dropbox website."

You get 2 GB of space for free and have the option of getting more with a monthly fee.

They just released their iPhone app today and its pretty damn spiffy. Example CAG usage: maintain a text file of lists of clearance games and keep it in your dropbox, then you can access from the phone any time you want. It even has sharing options, so you can share that kinda stuff with fellow CAGs.

Again, its not a game, so sorry I'm OT, but I've found the service/software to be really really handy (and now with the iPhone app, it'll be even more handy).

https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTE0MDA2NTE5

(if you sign up through my link, you get an extra 250 MB of online storage space and so do I)
[/QUOTE]

Nice little app. I've put it on a few computers and it works great. I signed up under your link the other day. We should set up a train so we could all take advantage of the bonus 3GB of space.

Great idea on CAG usage as well.

@Malik: Alive-4-ever won't have wifi multiplayer until the next update (1.2)

What's new (for 1.1) - Survival Battle
- Horde Battle
- Powerful New Weapons
- Bonus Indicator
- Dual-Stick Transparency Setting
- New Ranking for Survival and Horde Battle
- Some User Interface Enhancement

[quote name='tenchim86']@Malik: Alive-4-ever won't have wifi multiplayer until the next update (1.2)

What's new (for 1.1) - Survival Battle
- Horde Battle
- Powerful New Weapons
- Bonus Indicator
- Dual-Stick Transparency Setting
- New Ranking for Survival and Horde Battle
- Some User Interface Enhancement[/QUOTE]

Boo!! I read the info wrong! I was getting excited about getting it...the new weapons and horde battle will be nice though

iDracula is superior to A4E, but I have yet to get more than two levels in to A4E.

Are there any good, room-based puzzle platformers for the iPhone a la Donkey Kong 94 or Lost Vikings? Archibald didn't scratch the itch.

[quote name='Corvin']Nice little app. I've put it on a few computers and it works great. I signed up under your link the other day. We should set up a train so we could all take advantage of the bonus 3GB of space.

Great idea on CAG usage as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been really happy with it. Side note: if you mark a file as a 'favorite' on the iPhone app, it actually will save it to the phone so that you can access it quickly (even when you have no connection).

Thanks for signing up. Setting up a referral train seems like a good idea. I'm just about done, so I don't really need to get in on it though. I can edit my post and put in your referral link to get you started, if you want. Not sure how much it'll help now since its a couple pages back now.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Are there any good, room-based puzzle platformers for the iPhone a la Donkey Kong 94 or Lost Vikings? Archibald didn't scratch the itch.[/QUOTE]

Toki Tori
or
Toki Tori Lite if you need to take it for a test drive first.

I'm waiting for the price to drop, but I'm sure it's worth the $4.99 they are currently charging.

[quote name='RollingSkull']iDracula is superior to A4E, but I have yet to get more than two levels in to A4E.[/QUOTE]

There is no way iDracula is better than A4E. Seriously, no way.

[quote name='Sinksand']Toki Tori
or

I'm waiting for the price to drop, but I'm sure it's worth the $4.99 they are currently charging.[/QUOTE]
Have it for the Wii. Love it to death.

There is no way iDracula is better than A4E. Seriously, no way.
I just went and put out another ten levels in A4E's snoozefest. Are you kidding? Do you LIKE boredom?

[quote name='Sinksand']Toki Tori
or

I'm waiting for the price to drop, but I'm sure it's worth the $4.99 they are currently charging.[/QUOTE]

Toki Tori is one of the best platformer/puzzle games on the iPhone. I actually got it when it was 99 cents, and it is definitely worth more. Maybe not $5, but if it hits $3 (or the amazing 99 cents) you should get it.

iPark is on sale for $.99...it's kinda fun.

Also...I just grabbed the Mozilla-powered SongBird, and the ipod plugin for it. GOnna try it out since I loathe iTunes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back