iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap! Just what I've always wanted. If I were to be in trouble, I just know I'd want all my best friends on Twitter to rush to my aid! Like little cell-phone punching in angels!

Picked up AirTycoon for $1.99 the other day. If you were a fan of games like Aerobiz and Aerobiz: Supersonic on the SNES, this game is for you. Not a game you just pick up and play.

There's a new app called Boundless that's basically a teaser for some photographer's book. Anyway, i only mention it because the screenshots in the description feature thumbnails of real nudes. Nothing fapworthy or anything, but I find it annoying that things like that slip right by the app approval screening, while many other worthwhile apps get held up or rejected for ridiculous reasons.

[quote name='mkernan']Its not on sale, but Beneath a Steel Sky: Remastered (a slightly updated version of the classic graphic adventure game) is now out:

http://www.revolution.co.uk/i-bass.php?id=95

(it's $4.99)[/QUOTE]
It's great! I like the slightly reworked controls (circles around active items), it makes it much easier to deal with using a finger instead of a mouse.

[quote name='DtotheP']Just adopt the lomo attitude and allow yourself to take shots that just capture the moment however it turns out.

Personally, I use photogene on damn near every picture I take. After that, I use mill colour for color adjustment, coolfx for grain and diffusion, and focallab for focal effects an resizing (focallab's resizing options are as superior as its focal abilities).

I did pick up camerabag because of all the good things I've heard and honestly, I prefer running my pics through the apps I've listed.

If you just want to take pics and apply some cool effects and you aren't too Photoshop savvy, camerabag, photofx and mill colour are you best bets.

Also, CameraBag happens to be on sale for $.99 right now, and mill colour is free.
PM me if you have more Qs or want to see my posterous.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I actually picked up all of the ones you posted(these are the prices right now):

Mil Colour - Free
Camerabag - $.99
Color FX - $.99
FocalLab - $.99
PhotoGene - $2.99

I picked up Dr. Awesome+ yesterday for free and it is a lot of fun. Good variant on Qix. The graphic style of the cut scenes (which admittedly get slightly annoying after a while - having to click through them) is obviously ripped from the Pheonix Wright games on the DS, but that doesn't make it unappealing and the gameplay is good. It's also amusing how it uses your address book (play to find out, but suffice it to say that it isn't nefarious). I must admit that Plus+ is proving to be pretty nice, probably better then OpenFeint, just with a stupid name. I wish they'd change it. "Plus Plus"?

EDIT: on Plus+ I'm user "crunc". Feel free to add me!

[quote name='DtotheP']Just adopt the lomo attitude and allow yourself to take shots that just capture the moment however it turns out.

Personally, I use photogene on damn near every picture I take. After that, I use mill colour for color adjustment, coolfx for grain and diffusion, and focallab for focal effects an resizing (focallab's resizing options are as superior as its focal abilities).

I did pick up camerabag because of all the good things I've heard and honestly, I prefer running my pics through the apps I've listed.

If you just want to take pics and apply some cool effects and you aren't too Photoshop savvy, camerabag, photofx and mill colour are you best bets.

Also, CameraBag happens to be on sale for $.99 right now, and mill colour is free.
PM me if you have more Qs or want to see my posterous.[/QUOTE]

thank you sir. i'm gonna go the mill colour>coolfx>focallab way :) if you could recommend an anti-shake app, it would be very much appreciated. thanks!

Pr0JectNymPh0! , for some reason, any thread with a post from you (and your sig, hang my browser until it's full loaded) Happens to me in Safari 4 and Firefox, weird.

@Pr0JectNymPh0

there is an app that uses te accelerometer to detect when the phone is level to prevent blurry images. It might be Camera Genius but I don't quite remember. The downside of using the accelerometer is that you don't just point and shoot, you point and wait.

@Corvin

those apps combined will provide nearly as much functionality as Photoshop at a fraction of the price. Even at full price, Photogene is a ridiculous value.

You guys might want to check out iphoneography.com too.

I hate to post another non-game utility app, but this is handy if you drive a lot.
Speedcams USA: AlertMe
Speedcams USA: AlertMe alerts you to the following types of point of interest:

- Fixed Speedcams
- Redlight Cameras

Before starting on your journey, simply configure the types of alerts that you would like to receive and from what distance from the point of interest you want to receive them.

When you reach a speedcam point, you’ll get the following information:
- Large visual icon
- Descriptive text of the point of interest
- Exact location of the speedcam point
- Distance in meters to the speedcam point
- Graphic indicator of the distance to the speedcam point
- Acoustic alert
- Vibration alert
- Indicator of the precision of the GPS signal
- Spectacular interface so that you can easily recognize the alert while safely driving.
So if you, like me, have ever had a nice ticket come in the mail for your wife racing a red light- you can easily appreciate the value of this app.
418421_2.jpg
418421_3.jpg

http://appshopper.com/navigation/radars-usa-alertme

Back breaker football is awesome for 0.99. Its a different kind of football game though. It's not a madden or NFL 10 game. The whole premise is. You have the ball and your object is to get to the end zone with out geting tackled. Starts out with 1 defender then adds more as you progress in the game. You can perform side steps. Spins and such to avoid tackles. Pretty sweet game for 99 cents. I probably played it for over an hour yesterday. It's hard to put down once you start to play. Hope you like it. If not. It was only a buck!

[quote name='powersurge']A bunch of NimbleBit games just went free for the day such as Moon Drop.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up. Been waiting for Hanoi Plus.

Damn, WordAce is such a genius idea. I wish betting went a lot faster, but I could see myself wasting a lot of time with this one.

[quote name='locashcrimering']Motion x gps drive is on sale for .99. Great gps app for the price.[/QUOTE]

Motion X GPS Drive is awesome. It's what a GPS app should be on the iPhone. Note that for 99 cents you'll get 30 days of full voice navigation, which you can start at any time (it doesn't start from the time you buy, rather the time you activate it). Additional 30 days are $2.99 if you want to pay as needed, or you can pay for a year for, I believe, $24.99. Either way it's a lot cheaper then the other apps, and those have inherently out of date maps and POI. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close.

[quote name='locashcrimering']Motion x gps drive is on sale for .99. Great gps app for the price.[/QUOTE]

Hm. I just downloaded it to give it a try (for 99 cents, why not?), but so far I'm not terribly impressed with its routing skills. Just to see what it would do, I tried having it create a route from here at my office to home, with the "fastest route" option selected. My commute is about 35 minutes (traffic willing), and there are a number of possible routes that I could take. That being said... While the route that MotionX GPS gave me may indeed be the fastest in a world where there are no traffic signals and all roads are 55mph, in reality it would take forever to go that way with all of the lights, 35mph sections, and traffic. I can name at least three other routes which would get me there in far less time, all sticking to major highways (I'd cut it some slack if I were using back roads or something, but I'm not).

Also, it would be nice if there were a way to tell it to avoid certain roads (to avoid tolls or construction, for example), etc. If there is, I couldn't find it.

Haven't tried it as an actual GPS yet, but so far my impressions are decidedly mixed.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']sweet... I just got the OK from my bosses to move ahead with a game for the company...[/QUOTE]

Congrats, looking forward to seeing it. Maybe by the time you are finished with it, I'll actually have an iPhone. ;)

[quote name='guessed']Congrats, looking forward to seeing it. Maybe by the time you are finished with it, I'll actually have an iPhone. ;)[/QUOTE]

So far nothing has been decided but it's going to look like friendswithyou since they have a specific look and that's who I work for.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']So far nothing has been decided but it's going to look like friendswithyou since they have a specific look and that's who I work for.[/QUOTE]

such a happy looking site... just what i needed just about now.

:)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']car jack streets is free this weekend[/QUOTE]
App Store link says Free. Buy button says $2.99. Not sure who to trust.

[quote name='RollingSkull']App Store link says Free. Buy button says $2.99. Not sure who to trust.[/QUOTE]

Really? Mine says free on the buy button.

I can confirm that CJS shows up as free right now for me in iTunes. I'm downloading it now just to capitalize on a free promotion since I never got my 1G iPod touch fixed or replaced.

Also, for those of you that like photo manipulation, Photoshop Mobile is free on the iTunes store in the US and Canada right now.

Isn't GTA Chinatown Wars headed to the iPhone? It'll be the PSP version, of course, but that was an amazingly awesome game on the DS. I hope it translates well to the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pete5883']All NimbleBit games are free today. Some of them have good reviews.[/QUOTE]
I snagged Hanoi and Textropolis. Hanoi gets old fast -- as you're basically moving tiered piles of things from one platform to another without piling a larger on a smaller.
Textropolix is a really fun Boggle-style game where you make words using letters from city's names -- thus populating said cities. Both me and my wife enjoyed it.

Still playing the hell out of Blue Block. May still be free, and everyone I've talked to loves it.

Also, for whomever asked about Backbreaker Football, picture a driving game that you tilt the iPhone to control. Now, picture the car is instead a running back on a football field. Pretty slick.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']So far nothing has been decided but it's going to look like friendswithyou since they have a specific look and that's who I work for.[/QUOTE]

No fuckin' way!!! I have the complete wish come true set (and two extra chase figures.) Love the design and company! Awesome!

[quote name='bordjon']No fuckin' way!!! I have the complete wish come true set (and two extra chase figures.) Love the design and company! Awesome![/QUOTE]

Awesome :) I'll be sure to post when we actually have an app started. So far only the idea of the app got approved so in a few weeks we'll probably start working on it. It may be developed in house ( partially by me >_< ) or we may hire an already notable app dev.

I made it a little over 12 minutes in survival and up to level 21 in horde on Alive 4-Ever. This game is very fun but I can't figure out how to unlock all of the weapons. :(

@malik: http://toucharcade.com/2009/10/03/alive-4-ever-v1-1-update-released/

• Survival Battle (Single and Multiplayer) — Try to stay alive for as long as you can. You will be rewared a new weapon – Golden Desert Eagle – if you can stay alive for 10 minutes or more.
  • Horde Battle (Single and Multiplayer) — Slaughter wave after wave of zombies. You will be rewared a P90, M4 Super 90 and Golden AK-47 if you can clear wave 8, 16 and 24 respectively.
  • Powerful New Weapons — Altogether 5 new weapons, 4 can be unlocked in the Survival and Horde Battle; 1 can be bought in weapon shop.
  • Bonus Indicator — Bonus indicator has been added for scenes with challenge completed.
  • Dual-Stick Transparency Setting — Player can choose from 3 levels of transparency – None, Half and Full.
  • New ranking for Survival and Horde Battle
  • Profile name length increased to 8 characters
  • Reduced the detection area of Briefing Button
  • Bug fixes
Also, I have basically everything unlocked except the $400,000 gun, and my percent complete is ~70%. What else am I missing? Before the update, I had everything collected, and still ~70%. Maybe I need to max everyone's level? I'm at level 32 now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back