iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cycophuk']I will so own that app. As soon as it's .99 or free.[/QUOTE]

well 1.99 is close enough! It is really cool.

The screen is made up in to 9 quadrants that each have a sequencer for synth, bass, and drums, which each have 5 or 6 different tones.

pretty dope.

I don't understand the appeal of Canabalt. The flash version of it is and remains free, and beneath the pretty graphics is a completely simplistic RUNNAN MANS MUST JUMP game. Run! is much better for that.

[quote name='bagleyjw']well 1.99 is close enough! It is really cool.

The screen is made up in to 9 quadrants that each have a sequencer for synth, bass, and drums, which each have 5 or 6 different tones.

pretty dope.[/QUOTE]

To me, this sounds more appealing than Rock Band on an iPhone / iPod -- at least it's different.

To me the tiny version of Rock Band is no more than a puzzle game. Jamming with bigger instruments on a large screen with it blasting through the stereo -- that's the appeal of the "real" Rock Band.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I don't understand the appeal of Canabalt. The flash version of it is and remains free, and beneath the pretty graphics is a completely simplistic RUNNAN MANS MUST JUMP game. Run! is much better for that.[/QUOTE]

I consider it a 99 cent game with two dollars' worth of polish. Not really CAG-ish in any way, but if you play it with headphones and get into the groove, it's a ton of fun. There are a lot of little touches that make the game for me, like subtle audio cues and the stylized pixel art (especially items in the backgrounds), the way window shards bounce randomly, etc.

Real Racing GTI is pretty cool, but I'm struggling without a radar map to indicate what the next turn is like. Seems like they could have fit that in. It does play really well, though, and gives a good sense of speed. I tried enabling vibration, but that was just weird how they implemented that. Turned it back off.

You gotta be kidding me. I finally decided on buying Annie's Wild Shot and now it's gone up $2 from $1.99 to $3.99. What crap.

3D good vs evil is free today only. I can't play it since I don't have 3.0 or something like that. So I can't give you guys any impressions. I tihnk good vs evil (2d version) is the free version you can try out to see if you like it or not. From screenshots alone, it reminds me of Archon. Cheers ^__^

[quote name='pcktlnt']3D good vs evil is free today only. I can't play it since I don't have 3.0 or something like that. So I can't give you guys any impressions. I tihnk good vs evil (2d version) is the free version you can try out to see if you like it or not. From screenshots alone, it reminds me of Archon. Cheers ^__^[/QUOTE]

I think it was free yesterday, it still shows free, but when I try to download it, it tells me I'll be charged.

[quote name='guessed']I think it was free yesterday, it still shows free, but when I try to download it, it tells me I'll be charged.[/QUOTE]

I believe the "you will be charged" message comes up for everything, even free apps. However, after that, the "this application is being modified" message comes up, so it would appear that you're right. Looks kinda lame anyway.

[quote name='awp']To me, this sounds more appealing than Rock Band on an iPhone / iPod -- at least it's different.

To me the tiny version of Rock Band is no more than a puzzle game. Jamming with bigger instruments on a large screen with it blasting through the stereo -- that's the appeal of the "real" Rock Band.[/QUOTE]
I bit on Matrix Music Pad, and it's a pretty fun little diversion. Tough to change all three sensors at once, though.

[quote name='jcp42877']whew..glad i scored it for $1.99 :D[/QUOTE]
One thing about Dexter -- talk about a large file size!

[quote name='arcane93']I believe the "you will be charged" message comes up for everything, even free apps. However, after that, the "this application is being modified" message comes up, so it would appear that you're right. Looks kinda lame anyway.[/QUOTE]

It never tells me I will be charged for the free apps.

[quote name='jcp42877']whew..glad i scored it for $1.99 :D[/QUOTE]

Me too; such a beast game!

[quote name='ViolentLee']I bit on Matrix Music Pad, and it's a pretty fun little diversion. Tough to change all three sensors at once, though.

One thing about Dexter -- talk about a large file size![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I went :hot: at the 370ish megs. It is a fully voice acted game with a ton of cutscenes, though, so I understand it. Also, Michael C. Hall is BEAST MODE in this.

Anybody else try and emulate the scenes in the show with the dialogue trees?

[quote name='RollingSkull']I don't understand the appeal of Canabalt. The flash version of it is and remains free, and beneath the pretty graphics is a completely simplistic RUNNAN MANS MUST JUMP game. Run! is much better for that.[/QUOTE]

u might be missing the point. I can play Canablt endlessly while Run i only play for small chunks.

Looking at Tower Defense games and am thinking either Geo Defense or Star Defense. I know Fieldrunners is often mentioned as the best, but I think I'm getting tired of the Castle Crasher-style graphical approach (not that that's a good reason to not want it). Wish Fieldrunners and the Sentinel games had "lite" versions to try. Fieldrunners $2.99 price tag without a lite version?

If I go with Star Defense for my TD fix, I might bite on Dark Nebula after hearing good things on that since that's also $.99.

Any opinions? Wow, just realized how petty I'm getting with these cheap iPod games. But it's getting addicting buying new ones and I've gotta draw the line somewhere!

I've already made a few mistakes -- like Pocket God -- great reviews, but I can't get into it. NEED LITE VERSIONS of everything, please!

Got Earthworm Jim. It looks great but the controls are a little wonky. Feel like im stumbling through the whole thing.

Also got Silent Swords... pretty good game. The walking/running is kinda slow but still fun.

[quote name='doodle777_98']^^^ Real racing GTI is a demo.[/QUOTE]

Yep:

Real Racing GTI is the lite version of Firemint’s Real Racing, sponsored by Volkswagen to introduce the all-new 2010 GTI. Experience the joy of competitive racing with one of the most talked about games available on the iPhone and iPod Touch, and get your first chance to drive the all-new 2010 GTI!

Real Racing GTI offers one main track and six all-new 2010 GTI sport hatches. Access an array of options before selecting between three game modes: Quick Race pits you against five other cars, all hungry for first place; Time Trial is a battle against the clock and the world, letting you submit your time to an online leaderboard and post a replay on YouTube; and the GTI Cup championship is a fight for overall position across three tracks.

Can’t get enough of Real Racing? We don’t blame you! Purchase the full version now and start tearing through forests, seaside circuits and burning deserts. Set up a link to your YouTube channel to publish your best laps automatically, and make sure your friends know about your achievements with Facebook and Twitter integration. Beautiful track environments, carefully detailed cars and console quality 3D sound effects create the most attractive, natural racing experience available on iPhone and iPod Touch.

[quote name='awp']Looking at Tower Defense games and am thinking either Geo Defense or Star Defense. I know Fieldrunners is often mentioned as the best, but I think I'm getting tired of the Castle Crasher-style graphical approach (not that that's a good reason to not want it). Wish Fieldrunners and the Sentinel games had "lite" versions to try. Fieldrunners $2.99 price tag without a lite version?

If I go with Star Defense for my TD fix, I might bite on Dark Nebula after hearing good things on that since that's also $.99.

Any opinions? Wow, just realized how petty I'm getting with these cheap iPod games. But it's getting addicting buying new ones and I've gotta draw the line somewhere!

I've already made a few mistakes -- like Pocket God -- great reviews, but I can't get into it. NEED LITE VERSIONS of everything, please![/QUOTE]

I love geoDefense Swarm... the description said "Thinking Man's Tower Defense" and that's the perfect description for it. I felt there were alot more strategic elements rather than just reflex and resource management, like most other TD games. I got Swarm for 99 cents but it's worth $2 easily.

I agree with Pocket God. I understand the artistic appeal but as a game, it doesn't cut it for me. Bad purchase for me.

[quote name='Corvin']Anyone using iHeart Radio? Those that are, want to recommend some good rock/classic rock/metal/prog stations out there?[/QUOTE]

I've never used iHeart but I would recommend Pandora, you just enter an artist like "Android Lust" and it'll stream songs by that artist and other artists like it.

Last.fm was good until they changed a lot of things about 6 months ago that made it more difficult to listen to complete albums, playlist changes, etc. For radio, i guess it's still OK. But I find that even Pandora is better at mixing things up to give you a taste of groups you might like.

Unfortunately, with my iPod Touch I'm restricted to WiFi and can't tap into my work's network with it. So the only thing I can even access is Jango (on my work laptop since it's not "blocked"), which isn't bad but Pandora is still the best to me (at least as far as free apps go).

[quote name='hollowfreak']I've never used iHeart but I would recommend Pandora, you just enter an artist like "Android Lust" and it'll stream songs by that artist and other artists like it.[/QUOTE]

Pandora is nice, but I still find that a pre-programmed station will expose me to more new stuff, not just the stuff I already like. Plus, with real stations you can pick up actual shows like Bob & Tom.

[quote name='awp']Last.fm was good until they changed a lot of things about 6 months ago that made it more difficult to listen to complete albums, playlist changes, etc. For radio, i guess it's still OK. But I find that even Pandora is better at mixing things up to give you a taste of groups you might like.

Unfortunately, with my iPod Touch I'm restricted to WiFi and can't tap into my work's network with it. So the only thing I can even access is Jango (on my work laptop since it's not "blocked"), which isn't bad but Pandora is still the best to me (at least as far as free apps go).[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but I listen to alot of obscure stuff and last.fm has more obscure stuff. I only could find roughly 3 similar things to chiptunes in pandora, while last fm I still havent exhausted their library of things in the same category.

Knights Onrush is still $1 and has been for a while, but it advertises this as a limited time 80% off sale. It's a Defend Your Castle clone with astounding polish and fun right off the bat rather than DYC's half hour of flicking one guy up at a time every 10 seconds and an hour before you can get to fun upgrades.

Also, Archon Conquest is $1, but that doesn't seem to be a sale. Archon Classic is $5. Funny how that works. Conquest is a quest based version of Archon, which basically provides a crude story and level overlay to the Archon Chess/Action game hybrid.

EDIT: Also, Harbor Master just got updated with a much needed Fast Forward feature, so now I can firmly recommend it as superior to Flight Control, but there is still room for both on your phone.

They just released a 3d rollercoaster rush bundle that has all 3 games for $7.99, each one is normally $4.99 (though haunted 3d rollercoaster rush is on sale for $2.99 due to the holiday).

[quote name='RollingSkull'] EDIT: Also, Harbor Master just got updated with a much needed Fast Forward feature, so now I can firmly recommend it as superior to Flight Control, but there is still room for both on your phone.[/QUOTE]
Blasphemy!

[quote name='Purkeynator']the netflix ique app is free through today (sunday)[/QUOTE]Can't find whatever app it is you're referring to in the App Store.

Not a game but the Air Mouse Pro iPhone is on sale for $.99 today. This is a GREAT app if you don't like using the pad on your laptop and don't want a mouse if you're sitting on the couch. Highly recommended and easy to set up.

[quote name='awp']Not a game but the Air Mouse Pro iPhone is on sale for $.99 today. This is a GREAT app if you don't like using the pad on your laptop and don't want a mouse if you're sitting on the couch. Highly recommended and easy to set up.[/QUOTE]
:lol:
Great app! One of my favorite utilities, check previous page. :booty:

about airmouse pro. I own it, and it works well, however... if you are using it with a mac, i'd recommend "Touchpad" over it, even at $1.99. Much smoother and more responsive IMO, and doesn't require a host application on the computer, it just uses VNC.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']:lol:
Great app! One of my favorite utilities, check previous page. :booty:[/QUOTE]

Sorry, missed your earlier post scanning thorugh. My wife hates a laptop I got her earlier this year and I think the main reason is the mouse pad. So I'm gonna let her try this out.....then it looks like an iPod Touch for Xmas for her (she's also a facebook junky so the wifi wiil make her happy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back