iPod Classic 160GB (Sixth Gen.) & Xbox 360

dotCody

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So, my friend told me that he can use his iPod Classic on the Xbox 360. Google search confirmed this. I was just wondering, can I change the song using my Xbox 360 Media Remote or 360 Controller or do I have to get up and use the click-wheel?

You change it from the media menu just like any other song.

Though, if it's anything like mine, it's just going to play the same six songs by bands that all start with the same letter.

[quote name='Survivalism']You change it from the media menu just like any other song.

Though, if it's anything like mine, it's just going to play the same six songs by bands that all start with the same letter.[/QUOTE]
Good to know, thanks. Also, I read that songs downloaded directly from the iTunes Store will not work on the Xbox 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't recall if it fixed that issue, but there was a file called the Optional Media Update that allowed you to play AAC files, which is the usual file encoding that iPod and iTunes use. I'm fairly certain that it still won't let you play iTunes purchased songs for legal reasons.

Also, what's cool about the setup is that you can actually generate a 'playlist' while connected to the 360. If you go to your media settings or player on your Xbox 360, there's a way to select songs and organize them into a set list for it to play. You can actually take individual songs from your iPod and play them with this new playlist, but it self deletes as soon as you turn off the system or delete the iPod. I used to do that for bot battles in Perfect Dark Zero and Endurance Races during Forza 2.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']I can't recall if it fixed that issue, but there was a file called the Optional Media Update that allowed you to play AAC files, which is the usual file encoding that iPod and iTunes use. I'm fairly certain that it still won't let you play iTunes purchased songs for legal reasons.

Also, what's cool about the setup is that you can actually generate a 'playlist' while connected to the 360. If you go to your media settings or player on your Xbox 360, there's a way to select songs and organize them into a set list for it to play. You can actually take individual songs from your iPod and play them with this new playlist, but it self deletes as soon as you turn off the system or delete the iPod. I used to do that for bot battles in Perfect Dark Zero and Endurance Races during Forza 2.[/QUOTE]

Well all of my songs are in MP3, so I'm in the clear for that. And I have the OMU. And none of my songs are purchased through iTunes. Looks like I'm picking up an iPod Classic the next time it goes on sale, thanks Ebbtide.

You can just stream the music from your computer to your 360 (I used to connect an iPod to it before I figured out how). Assuming you have Windows.

[quote name='lmz00']You can just stream the music from your computer to your 360 (I used to connect an iPod to it before I figured out how). Assuming you have Windows.[/QUOTE]

Mac. :)

Are you buying the iPod specifically for use with the Xbox? I wasn't exaggerating earlier, it literally shuffles between the same few songs by bands with the same letter when it's a large playlist. It does it when I stream from WMP, too. I had to make another, (relatively) small playlist for it to work properly.

[quote name='Survivalism']Are you buying the iPod specifically for use with the Xbox? I wasn't exaggerating earlier, it literally shuffles between the same few songs by bands with the same letter when it's a large playlist. It does it when I stream from WMP, too. I had to make another, (relatively) small playlist for it to work properly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am but now I'm a little discouraged. How big is your large playlist where it plays the same few songs?

What's wrong with just loading your music onto a thumb drive or portable hard drive and keeping that plugged into a USB port on the 360?

I bought a Toshiba Canvio 320GB for $35 @ Amazon (now $47).

It's one thing if you want to access the music player you use and update daily, but to buy one just for this purpose sounds like overkill. So long as your music files aren't a disgusting mess (sorted into appropriate folders and optional subfolders), it'll be a breeze to choose an album to play before you begin gaming.

[quote name='Kerig']What's wrong with just loading your music onto a thumb drive or portable hard drive and keeping that plugged into a USB port on the 360?

I bought a Toshiba Canvio 320GB for $35 @ Amazon (now $47).

It's one thing if you want to access the music player you use and update daily, but to buy one just for this purpose sounds like overkill. So long as your music files aren't a disgusting mess (sorted into appropriate folders and optional subfolders), it'll be a breeze to choose an album to play before you begin gaming.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess you're right. I have a 4GB flash drive, I was just contemplating something more for Forza Motorsport 4.

[quote name='dotCody']Yeah I am but now I'm a little discouraged. How big is your large playlist where it plays the same few songs?[/QUOTE]
I have the same problem Survivalism does and have been trying to figure out how to stop it and it seems that if I have 100 or more songs on the playlist at a time that it'll only continuously shuffle between 30 songs or so. For it to work properly I had to make a much, much smaller playlist (of about 70 songs) or just go with listening to a specific album/band.

bread's done
Back