iPod Quirk/Problem/Help?

terpkristin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Alright, CAGs, I need some help with my iPod. I've got 2 iPod's, a 5th gen 60 GB iPod with Video (hard drive-based) and a 3rd gen 8 GB Nano (pink, flash-based).

The big one is doing just fine, almost 2 years old and still going strong. I use it to store all of my music, and it's what I listen to when I'm at the office and want my entire collection with me for variety. When I plug it into my computer (Dell Inspiron laptop, about 2 years old, XP Pro and latest version of iTunes installed), it recognizes it immediately and I have it set to manual mode, so I can just move things like I want.

The Nano I bought in January, right after they released the pink version, and has been problematic. I use it mostly for my "workout" playlist (music I listen to while at the gym), podcasts, and whichever audiobook I'm currently listening to. It's got about 3 GB free right now. When I try to plug IT into the computer, the iPod hangs and doesn't go to the "connected" screen, and my computer doesn't recognize it. In order to rectify this, I have to soft-reset my iPod (hold the menu and select buttons while flipping the hold button). I've found that if I soft-reset the iPod before trying to connect it to my laptop, it connects without any issue.

However, soft-resetting it causes other problems. I have to ensure that if the last thing I've listened to is my audiobook, that I've changed to a different song or playlist prior to the reset, otherwise the soft-reset makes it lose my progress (my bookmark as it were) in the book. Also, soft-resetting it seems to "reset" something within the shuffle/randomness feature. Consistently, if I play my workout playlist for the first time after a reset, the first song it plays is the Chipmunk song, and then goes through a series of songs I've heard in the same order time and time again. If I switch to another playlist and then come back to the "workout" playlist, it starts with Gnarls Barkley, and goes through a different order of songs, but again, one which I've definitely heard before in the same order. I noticed this "feature" this week, as I hooked my nano into the computer everyday for various podcasts, so when I got to the gym every afternoon, I recognized the pattern.

I'm running iTunes 7.2.6.9 and when I connect the iPod nano, it says the software is up to date. I've also tried resetting the original factory settings, with no success to solving the problem. Anybody here have any ideas? Or should I just take it to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store and have them look at it? And, if I go to the store, should I take my (non-Apple) laptop to show them what happens?

Thanks..
/tk

bread's done
Back