Ipod Touch 8 GB $159 AR / 16 GB $199 AR at FYE

awp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
43 (100%)
OK. Please feel free to bash me if you don't feel this belongs here. But since the iTouch/iPhone are becoming somewhat viable gaming platforms (with cheap games to boot), I thought it was worth posting.

These are the 2G models and the 8GB is $229 - $70 rebate. The 16 GB model is $299 - $100 rebate.

Considering FYE also gives the 25% bonus on game trades, this could be a decent deal. My local FYE doesn't even sell used games anymore so this was the first time I've traded to them in a while and after rebate, I'll have picked up an 8 GB model for $45 after rebate.

Already picked up a few games, Hero of Sparta ($1.99) and iBlast Moki ($1.99) as well as a few pretty decent free ones (Tap Defense is a fun little tower defense game). Some of these games are better than what you can find on XBLA or PSN for much cheaper, but I know there's already a thread for iTouch/iPhone game deals so I'll let that go.

Anyway, just a heads up for someone looking to pick one up at a decent price with the 25 percent bonus on trade credit at FYE.

Remember there is significant advantage on 3rd gen on 16GB and up. On 8GB, its basically the same as 2G and the price after rebate is a little cheaper (probably not after you factor in tax considering you are paying quite a bit more) than they were on clearance at Best Buy recently. But its not an earth-shattering deal on a discontinued product considering you have to mess with the rebate.

There is no 16GB 3rd gen ipod touch, its only 32GB and then 64GB...and I would expect by Nov or so, there will be some promo deals on the newer models as well (buy the 32GB and get a $30 gift card/itunes card sort of things)...so for a bit more, you can get the faster chip and double the storage capacity with a 32GB 3rd gen vs. 16gb 2nd gen.

K. All true. I missed the Best Buy clearance and the 3G models from what I read aren't as "huge" of an upgrade as it was from 1G to 2G -- unless you really like the voice control and faster loading speed for apps (which doesn't seem all that bad on 2G as it is).

Just liked the fact that I could trade games in for it with the bonus as well (although I guess I could have gone the Amazon route). I'm pleased with it so far. I was using my Sony Ericcson w580i as my primary MP3 player with bluetooth going through my stereo speakers. A 4 GB card seemed to be the max it would support (and it technically is only supposed to support 2 GB) so even my new 8 GB iTouch is an improvement....plus all the added app and wi-fi support. Maybe not the latest and greatest but for $45 after trades I'm happy. Money is an issue for me. Don't mind rotating my available albums...instead of having my entire collection on a 64 GB (which is what I would need).

EDIT: Oh, and my local Best Buy doesn't take trades yet.

awp,

How many albums do you have? Just curious.

What bitrate takes 64gb.

Now I do not have that many maybe 500 cd's but damn. I wont take 64 gb at the 196-320 kbps I have them at.

[quote name='Snake2715']awp,

How many albums do you have? Just curious.

What bitrate takes 64gb.

Now I do not have that many maybe 500 cd's but damn. I wont take 64 gb at the 196-320 kbps I have them at.[/QUOTE]

Not sure of the # of albums of I have on my PC but it amounted to 43.6 GB when loaded into my library in iTunes so that would go beyond the 32 GB model and, needless to say, I don't use the auto synching since there isn't close to enough room on my 8 GB. I do have some duplicates that I need to weed out some daay (like even "extended addition" versions of albums that leave two copies of the songs that were not bonus tracks on the new version.

If I can have around 20 albums at a time on my MP3 player I'm content. And then just exchange out when I get bored with one or two. Only thing I wish was that free wi-fi was more prevalent so that I could always stream something different. As mentioned, $30 a month more ain't worth it to have it stream via AT&T (via iPhone).

My work has wi-fi which i hoped it worked through but security won't let it go through. Oh well, still much better than what i had at a decent price (after trades).

On your second point, I don't think I have even close to 500 albums -- maybe 200 at best -- maybe I need to use better compression tools for conversion.

bread's done
Back