iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

I'm playing the free version right now .. Waiting for my friend to take his turn. And it looks like it has dropped to.99 cents a few times this year.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Hmmm maybe ill wait out til Easter time and hope they run a sale... I hate the ads... 2.99 isnt all that bad though so I might just bite...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the last time it was on sale, it was on sale for a while. In fact, I thought 99¢ was the regular price, so I decided not to buy it while I played the free version. A couple weeks later I figured I'd get it and the price went back to the usual 2.99. I'm also hoping they drop the price around Easter.

[quote name='Brian234']Important: If you bought an iPad 1 through the AT&T promotion (the one with a free month of 3G data), you may want to call soon to cancel your 3G data plan assuming you don't want to keep paying after the end of the first month.

It seems you are unable to do this from the iPad itself, nor from the website, so you'll need to call their customer service who can take care of it, but it took me 25 minutes...[/QUOTE]

You can cancel from the iPad. Just go back into Cellular Data in Settings app and tap "View Account". It's in there. Note that you can cancel ahead of time and what this actually does is cancel the auto-renew, it doesn't cancel the current month of service. I'm sure the confusing wording is intentional.

For all you aspiring iPad string slingers, E-Guitar HD has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"This real guitar method will give you great informations & technics to improve your guitar skill.
No musical knowledge is required to use this app, you just need a guitar.
Divided in three sections :
★ Part 1 (E-Folk 11 lessons for beginners)
Learn how to play basic chords, arpeggios and barred chords. Two mounths are required to complete this part.
★ Part 2 (E-Blues 8 lessons for beginners)
Play the 12 Bar Blues from acoustic to electric blues
★ Part 3 (E-Jazz 8 lessons)
Understand Jazz chords theory from II V I sequences over Gypsy Jazz, Bossa Nova, Blues Jazz ..."

If you don't have an iPad but you still want some basic guitar instruction, you may want to download the FREE Beginner Guitar Songs app.
"GuitarJamz.com is pleased to offer you "Beginner Guitar Songs" for your iPhone.
This easy to use music application will let you learn to play the guitar even if you have never even touched the instrument before."

In non-guitar news, Super 7 is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"The next generation of line-drawing games has arrived with Super 7 for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
Draw lines to combine the numbered discs and try to create 7s. Sure, it sounds simple but can you keep up once negative numbers and multipliers are thrown into the mix?"

This seems kind of cool. Lost Worlds Nature Films has dropped from $2.99 to free. It's an app that provides 12 different free Imax nature films: Africa, Alaska, Antarctica, Australia, Great North, Amazing Journeys, Lost Worlds, Ocean Oasis, Ocean Voyages, A Kingdom for the Dzanga Gorillas, Bears, Wolves.

[quote name='Brian234']Important: If you bought an iPad 1 through the AT&T promotion (the one with a free month of 3G data), you may want to call soon to cancel your 3G data plan assuming you don't want to keep paying after the end of the first month.

It seems you are unable to do this from the iPad itself, nor from the website, so you'll need to call their customer service who can take care of it, but it took me 25 minutes...[/QUOTE]

If you want to switch it to the prepaid plan so you can turn the 3G on/off from the iPad itself, there are some instructions here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...(AT-amp-T)-Activation?p=14332133#post14332133

I had a heck of a time figuring out how to do it myself til I Googled for hours and found that guy's forum posting, then asked him for instructions. Even with the instructions it took me over an hour at the AT&T store to get it to work. Sometimes I wonder if they make things difficult on purpose. :roll:

[quote name='Maklershed']This seems kind of cool. Lost Worlds Nature Films has dropped from $2.99 to free. It's an app that provides 12 different free Imax nature films: Africa, Alaska, Antarctica, Australia, Great North, Amazing Journeys, Lost Worlds, Ocean Oasis, Ocean Voyages, A Kingdom for the Dzanga Gorillas, Bears, Wolves.[/QUOTE]

Very cool, thanks.
Here is the AppShopper link for it
http://appshopper.com/entertainment/imax-tv-2

Also I just found a pretty good top down shooter that is free for the first time. It's universal.
Icarus X
http://appshopper.com/games/icarus-x

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend's HTC has good enough voice that he can just say "Navigate to Hideaway Pizza" into it and it will start turn by turn voice guided directions to the Hideaway of his choice. This is giving me considerable gadget envy. Does the Iphone have anything that cool?

[quote name='RollingSkull']My friend's HTC has good enough voice that he can just say "Navigate to Hideaway Pizza" into it and it will start turn by turn voice guided directions to the Hideaway of his choice. This is giving me considerable gadget envy. Does the Iphone have anything that cool?[/QUOTE]

Well, there's Siri (http://appshopper.com/productivity/siri-assistant) which isn't quite the same thing, but you can speak "direction to nearest " and it will do a decent job. Apple bought the company that did this, I believe, so I'm guessing there will be better voice integration in a future iOS version.

[quote name='RollingSkull']My friend's HTC has good enough voice that he can just say "Navigate to Hideaway Pizza" into it and it will start turn by turn voice guided directions to the Hideaway of his choice. This is giving me considerable gadget envy. Does the Iphone have anything that cool?[/QUOTE]

FYI this is a standard android function it's called google voice search. It works really well but I think you can do searches like that in google maps for iPhone.

[quote name='pROvIs']FYI this is a standard android function it's called google voice search. It works really well but I think you can do searches like that in google maps for iPhone.[/QUOTE]

You can't. Voice commands in the iPhone are pretty limited by comparison. The Google Maps App in iOS also doesn't support turn-by-turn navigation, anyway.

Reiner Knizia's Money is actually being featured as the FAAD main freebie right now.
"Money is a fast-paced and addictive card game based on the original tabletop eurogame release by Reiner Knizia.
You start the game with six bills of random currency. Your goal is to concentrate your reserves into just two or three types of currency before the game ends. To do so, you must spend the money you already have. It takes money to make Money!
Though Money is one of Reiner Knizia's deepest (and richest) card games, it's all been carefully fit into this iPhone release. Recolored bills make it easy to read your currency. Simple gestures allow you to examine your own hand and the bids of your opponents. Everything is animated, for a colorful play experience."

Kamikaze Race is also one of the current FAAD offerings.
"A deceptively simple slot racer, Kamikaze Race features a harried trip through rush hour traffic strapped into a car with no brakes and a stuck accelerator. The simple premise makes it perfect as a quick racing game. Two virtual buttons at the bottom of the screen are used to steer left and right. How far can you survive?"

Rogue Runner
is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"You are a highly trained, top secret "super soldier" -- the product of the best military training available, and a little alien technology thrown in for good measure.
But now you want out! Break out of the secret desert base in a stolen jeep with rocket booster technology, or a jumping tank, and floor it.
Get as far as you can before the hordes of men in black, aliens, UFOs, black helicopters, and tailgun-mounted jeeps take you down.
But don't worry, even if they destroy your vehicle, you'll still have a chance to keep going. Leap out of the wreckage and press on!"

Just a heads up for anyone looking for iTunes cards ... ToysRUs currently has a deal where $30 worth of iTunes card purchases and up saves $5. So basically it's $25 for $30 worth of iTunes cards.

[quote name='etcrane']Just a heads up for anyone looking for iTunes cards ... ToysRUs currently has a deal where $30 worth of iTunes card purchases and up saves $5. So basically it's $25 for $30 worth of iTunes cards.[/QUOTE]

And Target has 15% off of the 4pk of $15 ($60) this week

Every time I feel like iOS games just aren't worth the time I find a game to get addicted to. Playing Tiny Wings at the moment but I really hope Dungeon Raid drops soon.

[quote name='MSI Magus']@etcrane and darken - Either of you have a clue when these deals start and if they will be available online or not?[/QUOTE]

The TRU deal has already started, not sure how long it will last but I'm guessing at least through the week. I'm guessing it's part of a promo since TRU just started carrying the iPad 2. Not sure if it's available online but it's definitely active in store and comes out to be a bit better than the Target deal if you do. 2 separate transactions.

[quote name='darken']And Target has 15% off of the 4pk of $15 ($60) this week[/QUOTE]

Sams has four card 100 dollar pack for eighty bucks.

[quote name='Chickenmumbo']Sams has four card 100 dollar pack for eighty bucks.[/QUOTE]

Of Course I recently changed my bulk store from Sams Club to Costco!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Of Course I recently changed my bulk store from Sams Club to Costco![/QUOTE]

How can you live without the Sam's Club pizzas? Costco canNOT make a pizza. It's just not even close. Meanwhile, the Sam's Club frozen pizzas are insanely good for insanely little money for how much you get...

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']How can you live without the Sam's Club pizzas? Costco canNOT make a pizza. It's just not even close. Meanwhile, the Sam's Club frozen pizzas are insanely good for insanely little money for how much you get...[/QUOTE]

Never really tried Sams club pizza but the Costco one does suck...and if you look up the nutritional information its absolutely god awful for you(even compared other unhealthy pizzas)! Realistically I dont want to buy pizza from the store though, id rather stop at Papa Johns or Little Cesars on the way home ;) We switched mainly because of the drive distance. It took us about 30 mins to get to Sams Club and about 10 to get to Costco. My wife also gets a discount from work with Costco and we also save slightly more on the stuff we mainly joined for like Dog food and Rice.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Never really tried Sams club pizza but the Costco one does suck...and if you look up the nutritional information its absolutely god awful for you(even compared other unhealthy pizzas)! Realistically I dont want to buy pizza from the store though, id rather stop at Papa Johns or Little Cesars on the way home ;) We switched mainly because of the drive distance. It took us about 30 mins to get to Sams Club and about 10 to get to Costco. My wife also gets a discount from work with Costco and we also save slightly more on the stuff we mainly joined for like Dog food and Rice.[/QUOTE]

Haven't had the Sam's Pizza in a long time but I think the Costco Pizza is good for what it is. Don't expect it to be gourmet but I think it tastes good.

As far as the store is concerned I think Costco is vastly superior in the quality of merchandise and customer service. To me it is about the same difference between Walmart and Target. Costco may be a bit more on some things but they give you a better product.

[quote name='pROvIs']Haven't had the Sam's Pizza in a long time but I think the Costco Pizza is good for what it is. Don't expect it to be gourmet but I think it tastes good.

As far as the store is concerned I think Costco is vastly superior in the quality of merchandise and customer service. To me it is about the same difference between Walmart and Target. Costco may be a bit more on some things but they give you a better product.[/QUOTE]

Iv noticed a lot of what we have been buying is Organic from costco which is nice. Its not that we are going out of our way to buy Organic, its just that a lot of the stuff they sell is just naturally organic. Not something we are going to pay a bunch extra for, but its nice to get it as a nice little bonus. Sort of like buying a pizza and finding it comes out with free bread sticks. Their fruit also seems to be among the most fresh around. My only big complaint with Costco is that the frozen food section kind of sucks. The stuff just does not taste as good as what I got from Sams club and there is less variety.

[quote name='BREVITY']OMG plz get this thread back on track! PM each other with these amazing stories. lol[/QUOTE]

Yea man you guys making hard for someone to stay on a diet here lol.

Speaking of greasy fingers, the MyFont app is currently being offered for FREE in conjunction with FAAD.
"Create your own Font, your real hand writing!!
Use the standard keypad to write your e-mails with your font.
Send mails to your friends and family with your hand writing ,
No more standard fonts that looks like all the others,
Bringing back the personal touch to your iPhone and mails."

And, speaking of Chinese food, it's time for me to reheat my leftovers from last night . . .

[quote name='MSI Magus']Seems like that game goes on sale every week ;)[/QUOTE]

I've been following it and, altho it's somehow true, this is the lowest it has been since launch (DX version, not talking about the normal one). Now I'm wondering if I should buy (since it hit the sweet spot).

[quote name='Chickenmumbo']Sams has four card 100 dollar pack for eighty bucks.[/QUOTE]

Seems like every sams in the Minneapolis metro shows they are sold out online. Anyone, know how accurate the online tracker is for this stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='punkmaggit']EVERYONE BUY IT. I wish it was the HD version that's on sale... maybe I'll check tonight.[/QUOTE]

What exactly is IT?

[quote name='MSI Magus']... not that we are going out of our way to buy Organic, its just that a lot of the stuff they sell is just naturally organic. [/QUOTE]As opposed to artificially organic? xD

[quote name='iowaholdem']As opposed to artificially organic? xD[/QUOTE]

I meant "naturally" in the sense of the only thing they offer is organic. As in like when we buy Quinoa from them they only offer an organic brand name so we have no choice but to buy the organic.

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but Crackle is a free universal app that came out last week that lets you watch several free full length movies (like the davinci code, 21, etc.) and tv shows (like Seinfeld).

Coastal Super-Combat, an extract from Triniti Interactive's Gamebox 2 collection, is the new featured FAAD game right now.
"the innocent people of tiny island are under siege.
now they rely on you and your expert marksmanship to drive off enemy forces.
upgrade your weapons, fortify your defenses, and keep the people of tiny island safe!"

Starbase Command is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Starbase Command is a strategy defense game which puts you in command of a starbase under attack. Your goal is to survive for as long as possible, driving up your score as you build new defenses and destroy incoming waves of enemies."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back