iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='Darknuke']I use myfitnesspal daily to keep my calorie count in check. It's an awesome app.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I just wish they would update it for the iPad. It's ugly.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']The hellll. I downloaded the Lite angry birds to see what this is all about, and itunes is like NO MAN YO IPOD IS TOO OLD BROTHER. the fuuuuck it's a sensation![/QUOTE]
...too much tiger blood?

[quote name='DrAndonuts']Looking forward to Swords and Sorcery on iPhone.[/QUOTE]

only the iPad version is out tonight, the iphone version will be another month

[quote name='mtxbass1']Same here. I just wish they would update it for the iPad. It's ugly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and I tried using the website but I can't scroll through the foods on the iPad when I search for stuff. I wish it had a UPC scanner like the android version too.

The problem, however, is that increased prices does not necessarily lead to better quality games. ESPECIALLY among indie developers, whose stock and trade these days are largely either gimmicks or "frosties," even on PC, XBLA, etc. Granted, that's not always the case, but, come on, Canabalt is not worth more than $1, ESPECIALLY when the store is now full of runner games that are better and cheaper than Canabalt. It never really was.

Not every game can be Angry Birds, but that top ten chart proves the formula is repeatable. Tiny Wings is proof of that.

[quote name='RollingSkull']The problem, however, is that increased prices does not necessarily lead to better quality games. ESPECIALLY among indie developers, whose stock and trade these days are largely either gimmicks or "frosties," even on PC, XBLA, etc. Granted, that's not always the case, but, come on, Canabalt is not worth more than $1, ESPECIALLY when the store is now full of runner games that are better and cheaper than Canabalt. It never really was.

Not every game can be Angry Birds, but that top ten chart proves the formula is repeatable. Tiny Wings is proof of that.[/QUOTE]

Canabalt really owes it's success to apple's refusal to allow flash on iPhones. It would just be lost in a sea of free flash games if iPhone supported it. I'd say at least half of the jayisgames.com library would be money making hits on the app store, and many of the ports are. I think so many people are being introduced to gaming via iOS, so they base everything they know on the current state of the mobile market. Look at all the flack gameloft catches here for making console copies and ports. Gameloft has been doing that since before osx had dashboard widgets, definitely before major studios gave a crap about phones. Blah, people. You guys are cool though.

Speaking of apps in a sea of similar apps, Swivel, yet another match-3 "with a twist" is currently free. Pretty highly-rated and definitely pretty.

App Store

Flick Football is the new FAAD featured game. Note, that's "football" as in "international game played with feet and a ball."
"Swipe your finger to curve the ball around the wall. It’s simple to play, but a real challenge to master and you’ll be totally addicted to the numerous game modes. Compete using Game Center with global leaderboards and over 20 achievements."

Ninja Stealth Missions is the newest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"General Oni is conquering all the village temples and extracting the spiritual power from them. While these sanctuaries remain besieged Oni won't be hurt. Visit all the sacred temples in the sixty villages and close the connection with the evil General. This is the only way to finish with the Oni's evilness and your final test to become in a legendary ninja.
Be a master of stealth and test your abilities and talent by completing challenging missions in this exclusive game for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. Keep an eye on your enemies, draw a plan for a safe route and choose wisely your actions to avoid traps and neutralize opponents to reach safely the goal."

Pochi in Space
is being showcased on Great App a Day right now.
"Strap on a jetpack and join our hero Pochi, the lovable green alien explorer, as he makes his way across a universe filled with danger at every turn.
In Exploration Mode, see how long you can keep Pochi alive by dodging meteors, UFOs, and space debris while racking up bonus points and unlocking rewards. In a jam? Deploy shields to deflect incoming dangers! Want to cruise in style? Hop into a spaceship and blast anything in your path!
If you’re feeling the need for speed, you can also test your speed skills in Race Mode, as you help Pochi zip toward the finish line in a crazy timed obstacle course unlike any you've ever seen!"

Because I know you need more zombie-themed games, Zombie Juggler is currently available for FREE.
"Use the four buttons located on the sides of the screen, the upper buttons are for skulls that fall far from the zombie and the lower ones are for skulls that fall near the zombie.
Zombie Juggler is easy to learn hard to master."

Galaxia Interface
is also FREE for a limited time.
"The fate of the galaxy lies in your hands now. Fly, dive, and shoot your way to the ends of the Earth, that is, if we were even on Earth!
Galaxia Interface is a fast paced 3D rail flight simulator shooter game. Use the iPhone's tilt sensor or touch joystick with customizable controls. GI also features an original sound track with a unique song for every level. Get ready to experience more lasers, high speed, and slow-mo action than you ever have sitting down! … that is, unless you play the game standing up!"

Neuroshima Hex Puzzle has dropped to $1.99 for the time being.
"Neuroshima Hex Puzzle is a single player campaign set in the world of Neuroshima Hex. Use your strategic skills to lead your troops to victory and find your way out from 100 hopeless battle situations. No AI. No randomness. No luck factor. Only you, your enemies and a lot of tactical planning."

[quote name='DtotheP']Look at all the flack gameloft catches here for making console copies and ports. Gameloft has been doing that since before osx had dashboard widgets, definitely before major studios gave a crap about phones. Blah, people. You guys are cool though.[/QUOTE]
The reason I give Gameloft flak is not that they do ports, but that they do really unimpressive ports that don't really play to the Iphone's strengths or to the source material's strengths. From SC:Conviction to Spiderman to NOVA, I have been disappointed and bored by EVERY Gameloft title I tried, and I was a big fan of what Gameloft put out in the Razr era. Some of those side scroller Splinter Cell games were damn nice.

Capcom's RE4 is one of the few console ports that I would bother with, and Gameloft's opposite number for that wasn't too bad either, but even still, comparing this with the dozens of other good games on the Iphone, it just feels like a waste to not play Helsing's Fire on the phone and then RE4 at home.

I know it's been said already, but FF III for $15.99 ... damn ... just a little expensive when compared to the rest of the market. If it was actually specifically designed for the iphone/ipad and was an HD version, then maybe ... but it's a port right? Seems a bit ridiculous ... I agree with the sentiment that you should pay more for higher quality games, but Square seems to be coasting on their name alone and recycling old franchise leaders to nostalgic gamer types.

FFIII is up now. I could've sworn that toucharcade said it was gonna be priced at $12.99. Maybe I was misreading. Anyway, as someone mentioned before, Square Enix is running a 50% off sale on all their apps. This includes Secret of Mana for $3.99. Thinking of picking this up for this price. Kinda wish Square would apply the sale to FFIII =P

[quote name='Hirou']FFIII is up now. I could've sworn that toucharcade said it was gonna be priced at $12.99. Maybe I was misreading. Anyway, as someone mentioned before, Square Enix is running a 50% off sale on all their apps. This includes Secret of Mana for $3.99. Thinking of picking this up for this price. Kinda wish Square would apply the sale to FFIII =P[/QUOTE]

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=88526

Edited some stuff to make things easier. Some of the prices does not seem to be live yet. As for me, even when it's a sale, the prices seem a bit high to me, considering that most of the main games are ports from very old ones... I've gotten some very good games @ $0.99, which is the sweet spot for me ^^

To celebrate the release of Final Fantasy III, Square Enix is having a sale on all their games besides Lara Croft.

It doesn't end until the the 31st of March.

Final Fantasy III is live, $15.99!

Really really itching to get Secret of Mana, but $3.99 is just too much in relation to other games.

Perhaps I've been spoiled on mobile RPGs, but Wild Frontier for Free has definitely set a new standard for me book.

Secret of Mana would fetch $20 easy on DS. Let's keep things in perspective here, people. Just because so many iPhone games -- some good -- are a buck doesn't mean other games don't warrant a five-spot. Do you really wonder if one of the greatest action-RPGs of all time is worth $4? The music alone is worth more than that!

Superbrothers Sword and Sorcery is out for the iPad at $4.99

This is the game Kotaku was drooling over yesterday .. definitely looks unique, still debating on dropping $5 on it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/superbrothers-sword-sworcery/id424912055?mt=8

Hmm, watched a few videos on the developer's website ... I'm in ... the soundtrack really stands out ... I'll post some impressions tomorrow.

I'd much rather support a developer who brings something new and creative to the table than a developer like Square Enix, who recycles the same crap over and over, making minor changes but not really offering anything particularly new or bold. It's true that FFIII on DS originally cost $40 ... however, you can now find a used copy for $6 on Amazon. The version released today has some polish and tweaks, but I have a hard time justifying a $15 purchase on something that isn't really all that new or innovative. Plus, it just encourages them to continue releasing new titles at higher prices ... I'll be waiting for a sale on FFIII

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='etcrane']Superbrothers Sword and Sorcery is out for the iPad at $4.99
[/QUOTE]

Excellent. Followed your link to the App store add grabbed it. Saw this at E3 last year and totally dug it. Can't wait to dig in to it tomorrow. Thanks for posting!

Cool, time to grab Secret of Mana. $4 is totally worth it for that game. Now I'll just wait for Square to release their next game so I can grab FFIII.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Secret of Mana would fetch $20 easy on DS. Let's keep things in perspective here, people. Just because so many iPhone games -- some good -- are a buck doesn't mean other games don't warrant a five-spot. Do you really wonder if one of the greatest action-RPGs of all time is worth $4? The music alone is worth more than that![/QUOTE]

This is called Cheap Ass Gamer, we're all cheap bastards here. The game is worth 4 though I won't get it because I have to many games in my backlog. As for FF3 touch arcade said the game was coming out at 13.99.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=88526

Edited some stuff to make things easier. Some of the prices does not seem to be live yet. As for me, even when it's a sale, the prices seem a bit high to me, considering that most of the main games are ports from very old ones... I've gotten some very good games @ $0.99, which is the sweet spot for me ^^

To celebrate the release of Final Fantasy III, Square Enix is having a sale on all their games besides Lara Croft.

It doesn't end until the the 31st of March.

Final Fantasy III is live, $15.99!
[/QUOTE]

Kind of funny that the same day I complain that Square does not do charity and does not drop their prices even when on sale...has a sale and proves my point by dropping their games to the price they should be for the most part anyways! I agree that if Secret of Mana Plays well(does anyone know if it does, I can not see it working well on Ipad)its worth more then the $4...but from what I have heard most of the rest of those are not.

Anyone have opinions on Crystal Defenders? I played the PSN demo of it awhile back and have been wanting it since......but is it worth the $4, especially given all the other Tower Defense games available for less?

Not sure what to make of it, but MiniFighters is currently available for FREE.
"MiniFighters is a 3D game, with lovely graphics . Each mini character has his own feature, lively personality, witty dialogue,
unique weapons and items, various skills. Four different game scenes each has unique elements, waiting for you to discover."

Can anybody recommend Song Summoner? I love the premise of it and def a fan of SRPGs but $5 is a bit much for me at the moment since my credit is dwindling fast and I still need to pick of Pharoahe Monch's new album

Thoughts?

[quote name='crunchewy']In for Crimsonworld + HD. Thanks for the heads up! I don't know what it is, but why not.

Also, Forget-Me-Not is definitely a very clever and fun retro game. Pac-Man + he shoots + rogue-like. It's pretty clever and definitely fun. Recommended at the non-sale price of $1.99 (universal):

http://appshopper.com/games/forget-me-not-2

It uses swipe controls like the Pac-Man games. So if you don't like that there, you won't like it here, but it works well for me. Levels are randomly generated, progressively difficulty. There's a lot to this game.[/QUOTE]

I'm in for the Forget-Me-Not, thanks.

^^ I don't think I'll be getting any of the Square Enix games due to the prices and being non-universal. Sliding Heroes is free not $.99 so I would have picked that one up if I didn't already, still haven't played it yet though.

Hmmmm ok maybe SoM is not worth $4. First off I did not realize it was the Iphone version which is hella lame, second off I tend to respect these guys opinions and they say the controls are really bonked(which is what I feared).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw7aWXb-Jkc

Guess I will wait for FFT and HOPEFULLY FFIV-VI(dare I hope for VII and IX).

How does Secret of Mana look like on the iPad? I don't know if its universal, and I'd hate to see it all upscaled with the poor anti-aliasing.

[quote name='Karuto']How does Secret of Mana look like on the iPad? I don't know if its universal, and I'd hate to see it all upscaled with the poor anti-aliasing.[/QUOTE]

I really doubt its universal since the reviewers I posted above generally play the Ipad version if available.

I have Zenonia, perhaps even the sequel, and really didn't like how they controlled and in any case just couldn't get into them, so I'm balking a bit at Illusia. But of course also considering it. Addict.

I got Sliding Heroes the last time it went free, tried it, and didn't think much of it. But I probably didn't really give it a chance. In any case no harm in picking that up for free if you didn't last time. Maybe I should give it another try.

Thanks for the links everyone. I am getting so many free games from these things that I may need to start looking for a 64gb ipad....

Anyone else here own an iPhone 4 bumper that's falling apart? Mine is tearing around the dock connector. I take it off frequently to clean the inside of it (remove lint and whatever else so it doesn't scratch my antenna) and I think that is what caused it. I've had it for less than 6 months now. It sounds like the apple store will replace it, but i think I'm going to look into some alternate cases.

Any recommendations? I don't like big bulky ones (the biggest reason I liked the bumper) and I'd like it to be able to connect using the old dock connector (the larger one. The bumper doesn't let you connect to it using the old cord). The bumper was nice because I felt the iphone 4 was a little too thin (big hands). This made it easier to hold.

bumper.jpg

Picked up Sword and Sworcery last night. Played through the first two "sessions".

Really enjoying it so far.

Seems like mostly a point and click adventure game so far with beautiful music / sfx / art. iPad controls and integration are very well done though, it feels right on the ipad.

Nice to see someone making something from the ground up for the platform and I'm happy to support these guys.

[quote name='jacknicklson']I had a slide incase Snap
http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/snap-case-cl59693

Worked great, I only got rid of it because my brother bought me one of these:

http://www.getuncommon.com/product/iphone4/deflector/

Both are highly recommended and give easy access to all ports[/QUOTE]

I do like the incase one. I bought from them back when I had my 30GB Video iPod and liked it a lot. I'll definitely bookmark this one. Thanks

Edit: ooh 19.99 on amazon too. http://www.amazon.com/InCase-CL5963...J5IO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300980942&sr=8-2

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cimpy101']Anyone else here own an iPhone 4 bumper that's falling apart? Mine is tearing around the dock connector. I take it off frequently to clean the inside of it (remove lint and whatever else so it doesn't scratch my antenna) and I think that is what caused it. I've had it for less than 6 months now. It sounds like the apple store will replace it, but i think I'm going to look into some alternate cases.

Any recommendations? I don't like big bulky ones (the biggest reason I liked the bumper) and I'd like it to be able to connect using the old dock connector (the larger one. The bumper doesn't let you connect to it using the old cord). The bumper was nice because I felt the iphone 4 was a little too thin (big hands). This made it easier to hold.

bumper.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This is the case I just got for my iPhone 4. I would just look online for cheaper prices. The case has a nice feel in the hand. I looked at a lot of cases and this is the one that I feel would give the best protection.
I heard the white case of this model has some color change after use. I am happy with the black and grey combo.

http://www.myincipio.com/iPhone-4-C...-Soft-Shell-Case-with-Polycarbonate-Frame.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back