iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

Question - won an iPad from a contest, any suggestions for apps? I have a Touch and have a ton of apps that I transferred over(thanks fellow CAGers!), are there any that are "must-haves" out there for the iPad?

My concern with PQ2 is that people have said it doesn't look nor play that well in the iPhone. I don't have an iPad. If I had an iPad I'd certainly get it. Hopefully, though, the graphic issues were fixed for the rerelease. I'll certainly anxious to see reports from people on it. Still, not sure I'll pay $10 for it. Probably would wait for a price drop.

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Question - won an iPad from a contest, any suggestions for apps? I have a Touch and have a ton of apps that I transferred over(thanks fellow CAGers!), are there any that are "must-haves" out there for the iPad?[/QUOTE]

Carcasonne! Well, I would have it on an iPad if I had an iPad. Anyway, I'm envious. :)

Yesterday I bought my first iPod Touch (4th Generation)... so, I have now an Apple Account.

Well... I have some questions: Can I use my purchased apps on several devices? Let's say I purchase an iPod Touch to my girlfriend for Christmas... will she be able to use the apps I bought?

Another question: Let's say there is a limited sale or something, for example, a free app just for today. Can I download the app at my work (or queue it) and then download the app in my house some other day?

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']

Well... I have some questions: Can I use my purchased apps on several devices? Let's say I purchase an iPod Touch to my girlfriend for Christmas... will she be able to use the apps I bought?

Another question: Let's say there is a limited sale or something, for example, a free app just for today. Can I download the app at my work (or queue it) and then download the app in my house some other day?[/QUOTE]

To answer your first question, as long as the device is on the same account you can download/install an app on as many devices as you want. Also, once you buy an app you can dowload it as many times as you want from whatever device you want that is tied to your account.

A few quick impressions for Eternal Legacy.
Graphics- 10/10 The game looks really good, though the characters in Gameloft games always look a bit stiff.
Gameplay- 9/10 The control is very responsive and smooth, the combat is quick and fun.
Sound- 7.5/10 The music seems pretty good but the voice acting is pretty brutal. Though it is nice to have so much voice acting in an rpg on a portable system.
Story- 7.8/10 It is pretty hard to rate the story this early in but it seems pretty decent, just don't expect a FF story.
Overall- 8.6/10 The game seem like a worthy addition to any rpg fans library. These impressions are based from about an hour and a half of gameplay so some things could get better or worse.

[quote name='caltab']To answer your first question, as long as the device is on the same account you can download/install an app on as many devices as you want. Also, once you buy an app you can dowload it as many times as you want from whatever device you want that is tied to your account.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Also... how can I know which apps I have purchases?

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']Thanks!

Also... how can I know which apps I have purchases?[/QUOTE]

With itunes open, click on store in the command bar, then select view my account. One of the options will be purchase history.

[quote name='seanr1221']Yes it does, Dallow. The first is my favorite iOS game.[/QUOTE]I'll need to try the first one then.
No HD version for the sequel?

[quote name='caltab']With itunes open, click on store in the command bar, then select view my account. One of the options will be purchase history.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']Thanks!

Also... how can I know which apps I have purchases?[/QUOTE]
Another trick if you don't want to go through the list is to try to write a review for an app. You can only post a review if you purchased the app. On your iPhone/iPod, you can't even start writing one, and on iTunes, you cannot submit.

[quote name='dallow']I'll need to try the first one then.
No HD version for the sequel?[/QUOTE]

I am sure there will be an HD version eventually, gameloft seems to always release the HD one later on, probably to get as many double dippers as possible.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']
Infinity Blade so far has been a blast :D[/QUOTE]

Whaaat? I can't find it on the itunes store.

[quote name='kryptonic']Hmmm not seeing it either. Wonder if was pulled due to large demand.[/QUOTE]

Caltab mentioned an 11PM release date. I don't see a few of the others either. (except for Eternal Legacy)

I'm not sure how ikilledChewbacca managed to score a copy.

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Question - won an iPad from a contest, any suggestions for apps? I have a Touch and have a ton of apps that I transferred over(thanks fellow CAGers!), are there any that are "must-haves" out there for the iPad?[/QUOTE]I'm just going to go ahead and throw out there that you really must get World of Goo which launches next week (on the 16th, I think) and will be $9.99 last I heard. Phenomenal title. I'm so jealous that I don't have an iPad.

[quote name='seanr1221']If you delete an app off your device, do you lose your saved data?[/QUOTE]Yes, unless the game has a cloud-based backup system.

[quote name='seanr1221']Most of the games are up.

If you delete an app off your device, do you lose your saved data?[/QUOTE]

If you have a recent backup and own a Mac, you can use iPhone Backup Extractor and IPhone browser to restore the data. It works best if you copy the data over before you launch the app for the first time because you'll have less overwrite prompts.

I bought Infinity Blade. I'm backlogged like woah on my iPod touch at the moment what with all these great releases.

Any impressions on Illusia, Dead Rising and Eternal Legacy? I'd like to pick all those up, perhaps, but probably only a 1/2 off sale would get me to pull the trigger right now.

[quote name='iowaholdem']I bought Infinity Blade. I'm backlogged like woah on my iPod touch at the moment what with all these great releases.

Any impressions on Illusia, Dead Rising and Eternal Legacy? I'd like to pick all those up, perhaps, but probably only a 1/2 off sale would get me to pull the trigger right now.[/QUOTE]

I posted some quick impressions on Eternal Legacy on the last page. As for all the releases I think the only one I'm going for besides Eternal Legacy is Infinity Blade for now. I'll pick up Dungeon Hunter 2 after I finish Eternal Legacy, Dead Rising will wait until it's down to 2.99 (not a huge fan).

How is Eternal Legacy compared to say Golden Sun Dark Dawn (DS) or Chaos Rings? GSDD is taking up a bunch of my time now, mostly because of nostalgia for the first two games. For some ridiculous reason I thought I'd buy Chaos Rings at $13 because it looked so graphically impressive at the time, but I just found it terribly boring.

[quote name='SkyBird']The Daily Show App is up and is free for a limited time (so they say).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-daily-show/id402215820?mt=8[/QUOTE]

...ddddaaaaammmmnnnn iiiitttt

I really wish all these app store deals ran on a similar schedule to Steam's or Xbox Live's... I'll be browsing this thread at about 11:30 at night when suddenly I realize I missed out on free junk for the day, and it's disappointing.

At least the app didn't seem *that* compelling. And Rayman's still free.

Infinity Blade is awesome, though it does slow down on occasion on my iPod Touch 4G (but I also haven't restarted the device, so it may not be as bad with a refresh). I immediately started thinking about how great multiplayer would be and I was happy to see it's coming in the future (I never heard of MP until reading it in the app). The combat is surprisingly fun, while not being too complicated; and the game is obviously beautiful.

I would try a demo of RE4 first. It's very....boring. Yes, I think boring is the word for it.

Its kind of a shame when GameLoft can make better games than the major companies. I liked Zombie Infection a lot.

[quote name='seanr1221']I would try a demo of RE4 first. It's very....boring. Yes, I think boring is the word for it.

Its kind of a shame when GameLoft can make better games than the major companies. I liked Zombie Infection a lot.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I bought it for .99 and while I think it's cool that they keep updating it... I'm probably never going to play it.

Man, Infinity Blade kicks MAJOR ASS. I don't know how they managed to do it, but the graphics are so ridiculous, it puts the PSP to shame! It's been great so far but I have this nasty gut feeling it's going to go on sale sometime around Christmas to push it further once the initial sales have dropped off a little and probably to promote an update since this game definitely doesn't last too long with sp.

[quote name='DragoonKnight']I agree about Chaos Rings. I kept hearing so many good things about it and bought it. Terribly disappointed with it.[/QUOTE]

It happens on highly priced apps.
People, either in aware of or not, become defensive on their purchase and judge with a biased opinion.

[quote name='sherisdoppel']It happens on highly priced apps.
People, either in aware of or not, become defensive on their purchase and judge with a biased opinion.[/QUOTE]
That's not exclusive to apps either. Look at other big ticket items like gaming consoles. No one gets into flame wars defending the console they didn't purchase :p

[quote name='jjz203']Man, Infinity Blade kicks MAJOR ASS. I don't know how they managed to do it, but the graphics are so ridiculous, it puts the PSP to shame! It's been great so far but I have this nasty gut feeling it's going to go on sale sometime around Christmas to push it further once the initial sales have dropped off a little and probably to promote an update since this game definitely doesn't last too long with sp.[/QUOTE]
I really want Infinity Blade and PQ but I'm counting on some kind of Christmas sale. With all of the Thanksgiving deals, I've gotten spoiled. Now, the only titles I'll buy on release are ones by CAVE. I still regret not having snatched up Espgaluda when it first came out.

[quote name='sherisdoppel']It happens on highly priced apps.
People, either in aware of or not, become defensive on their purchase and judge with a biased opinion.[/QUOTE]
Dude, all opinions are biased. That's what opinions are -- one's personal judgments based on the infinite factors of their lives.

Just trying to rid misuse of the word "bias" as pertains to video game discussions on the internet, one person at a time.

I think Infinity Blade will be the first iPhone game I really want, that I'll wait around for a price drop on. And if it doesn't come for a while, it's not like I don't have other things to play. I'm still playing Robot Unicorn Attack almost daily. "Open your eeeeeeyes..."

Oh I see now. Leveling equipment adds to your total level.

I also have to stop swiping wildly. It seems changing it up with controlled, different swipes takes a lot more damage out.

[quote name='seanr1221']Oh I see now. Leveling equipment adds to your total level.

I also have to stop swiping wildly. It seems changing it up with controlled, different swipes takes a lot more damage out.[/QUOTE]

I watched a preview of the game yesterday before I purchased Infinity Blade and the core fighting, to me, seemed inspired (in a good way) by the back-and-forth, almost puzzle-like way the Punch-Out! games were designed. This is not the best example, I know, but when I went in playing the game like that I immediately gelled with the combat just fine. Parrying is something I need to get used to since the timing is a little precise, but overall I don't regret buying this one full price. $6US for a great little game? Phwoar, that's a bargain in my opinion :) Hope you're enjoying the game just as much as I am!

[quote name='caltab']heres links to tonight's releases:

Infinity Blade: 5.99 and universal
Puzzle Quest 2: 9.99 and Universal
Dungeon Hunter 2: 6.99 for iphone
Dead Rising: 4.99 for iphone
Illusia : 4.99 for iphone
Eternal Legacy: 6.99 for iphone[/QUOTE]
Damn...wish I had bought one of those $50 Cards for $35 from WalMart now, oh well...guess I be waiting a while for another sale on cards or sales on most of these lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ViolentLee']Dude, all opinions are biased. That's what opinions are -- one's personal judgments based on the infinite factors of their lives.

Just trying to rid misuse of the word "bias" as pertains to video game discussions on the internet, one person at a time.

I think Infinity Blade will be the first iPhone game I really want, that I'll wait around for a price drop on. And if it doesn't come for a while, it's not like I don't have other things to play. I'm still playing Robot Unicorn Attack almost daily. "Open your eeeeeeyes..."[/QUOTE]

I meant as when they buy relatively highly price apps they get a small variable that changes their opinions that has nothing to do with the app itself.

[quote name='FireBearSafety23']Hey guys, i am getting a 8gb itouch 4g for christmas. How much apps, songs, etc could i possible hold on it?[/QUOTE]

My iPhone uses 20.21GB with 294 apps (11.1GB),1041 songs (alll in 320-bitrate, 8.51GB) and probably some other extras.
So for 8GB, I'd say not much...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back