iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='realkilla789']Hey guys Game Dev Story is .99 today only.[/QUOTE]

that sucks...i just bought it and have been playing it for about 3 hours

definitely worth a buck though

Anyone else getting "Purchase of this item is not currently available" for game dev story? My friend was able to buy it for .99 but I can't.

[quote name='Vertiadus']Anyone else getting "Purchase of this item is not currently available" for game dev story? My friend was able to buy it for .99 but I can't.[/QUOTE]

I was earlier. just bought it now.

YES! The wait is worth it!
Waited for months for it to drop…. just to save a couple bucks LOL...

Dammit. I bought it a few days ago because it said that it was already on sale.

Whatever though, I really enjoyed the game. Buy it and support them. I want a more robust Game Dev Story 2!

[quote name='HDShadow']Dammit. I bought it a few days ago because it said that it was already on sale.

Whatever though, I really enjoyed the game. Buy it and support them. I want a more robust Game Dev Story 2![/QUOTE]

I believe it was TouchArcade that had an interview with them that more or less said that GameDev Story 2 had to wait so they could make...er... PORT some other game first.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']I believe it was TouchArcade that had an interview with them that more or less said that GameDev Story 2 had to wait so they could make...er... PORT some other game first.[/QUOTE]

I'll post it here now if anyone was interested:
http://toucharcade.com/2010/11/30/game-dev-story-2-coming-to-ios/

That's interesting, I didn't know GDS was an old game as was. At least it seems like they had ideas boiling for the second. A SimCity game isn't the most exciting idea for them, but we'll see how it goes.

Everyone buy Game Dev Story, this was my first app I bought at full $4.00 and I don't regret (well slightly cause its a dollar today). You think you only play for 5 minutes...but in Game Dev Story time it means 5 hours.

[quote name='WilliamG']See, I bought Game Dev Story when it was first released and found it crazy boring. Funny how that works.[/QUOTE]

I played the lite version and can agree but I can see why alot of people like it. just not my type of game.

I just bought it a few days ago when it was $2.99, but I can't complain since I've put about 10 hours into it in says time. xD

[quote name='WilliamG']See, I bought Game Dev Story when it was first released and found it crazy boring. Funny how that works.[/QUOTE]

I kind of agree, its frustrating - I've developed 37 games and none are hall-of-fame material even though some have achieved #1 status & generated close to 750k unit sales...

Guess I need to read the manual...

Freaking addicting, want to create a hall-of-famer! :bomb:

[quote name='Javansdaddy']I kind of agree, its frustrating - I've developed 37 games and none are hall-of-fame material even though some have achieved #1 status & generated close to 750k unit sales...

Freaking addicting, want to create a hall-of-famer! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Its easy once you figured out to make your game appeal to the Japanese market. All of my "Dragon Quest" series in the game were hall of famers (I think I used rpg/fantasy).

[quote name='Javansdaddy']I kind of agree, its frustrating - I've developed 37 games and none are hall-of-fame material even though some have achieved #1 status & generated close to 750k unit sales...

I made games until I finally invested all I could into a game and went all out on it. I scored enough sales to be profitable. Now, I cannot sell lower than 1.5 million in the first week.

Also, make sure to save enough to buy licenses on consoles that have a big audience.

Your total score from the critics needs to be at least 32. That's how they consider it a HoF game. It could sell 10 million, it doesn't matter, that comes after the chance to be considered.

On my first playthrough my biggest seller hit 9.4 million and at the end of 20 years I had $71m in capital. I have zero idea if that's good or bad. But, I also know some tricks after playing once that I won't make again.

Would love to pick up Game Dev Story, if it can figure out what it's doing. Tried to grab it this morning, was being modified. Currently looking at $2.99, which I just won't pay these days - hell, I shouldn't even be spending $.99 on games, given how many I have sitting on my phone unplayed.

[quote name='INCyr']Would love to pick up Game Dev Story, if it can figure out what it's doing. Tried to grab it this morning, was being modified. Currently looking at $2.99, which I just won't pay these days - hell, I shouldn't even be spending $.99 on games, given how many I have sitting on my phone unplayed.[/QUOTE]

It's showing as $.99 on the iTunes store right now + when you click through to the actual game on the iPhone. Go now, buy buy! :p

Seems like they are in the process of modifying it on the iTunes store, when I try to purchase it iTunes tells me that it is currently unavailable because it's being modified and to check back later. :(

Just got Game Dev Story for 99 cents via iTunes... I so rarely pay for apps but I'm going on the positive comments here so I hope it is good ;).

[quote name='scott_matthews']Seems like they are in the process of modifying it on the iTunes store, when I try to purchase it iTunes tells me that it is currently unavailable because it's being modified and to check back later. :([/QUOTE]

Having the same issue...was excited to wake up and see this on sale, too, after hearing the good word on it all over the internet...

Also, Fishing Kings / Fishing Kings HD is free today only.

While the yo-yo pricing on Game Dev is still being modified, go ahead and check out Free App Calendar's featured fractured Engrish title, Samurai Man (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id392469280?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4#). So there.
"--story--
The master in the kendo gym ..taking the place.. is doing in the United States Chris.
When Chris was training, the arrow was driven to the gym one day.
It was written so there..."

Also, Dungeon Hunter 2 is currently a buck off ($5.99) if you just can't wait for its inevitable .99 sale (http://itunes.apple.com/app/dungeon-hunter-2/id385159082?mt=8).
"EXCLUSIVE CO-OP MULTIPLAYER MODE: Play the campaign solo or with up to 4 adventurers at the same time.
** IMPORTANT: MULTIPLAYER COMPATIBILITY ** Multiplayer mode available only on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 3G or iPod Touch 4G, with 3.1.2 OS or higher.
- Team up online via Wi-Fi or locally via Bluetooth or local wireless.
- Game Center and Gameloft Live compatible: Find teammates, rise up the leaderboards , unlock achievements and more.
- Fight tougher enemies, face even more challenging quests and combine the talents of your team members to become even deadlier."

EDIT: Looks like Game Dev Story is once again available for .99 if you're interested. Just snagged a copy through iTunes.

i got $25 in itunes cards for xmas, so i went ahead and bought game dev story. .99 cents, no problem. already downloaded from my phone while at work.

[quote name='Liveforlaughs76']Osmos, Flight Control, Fragger, Tilt to Live, Super Mega Worm, etc. etc. just go in to the game center app and on the games page bottom it'll show you all the game center games. See what you like.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. The way I understand it is that not all games in Gamecenter have achievements. I like to compare against friends. It's no big deal, somewhat addicting though.

Scooped up Spider Man HD in a second. I wonder if the price is a mistake, usually Gameloft says if the game is on sale in the description.

on game dev story, is there a way to delete my first game? now that ive tested it out a bit i want to start from scratch but the only company is bugging me.

[quote name='moojuice']Just start a new game and overwrite the old save I think. IIRC, there's only one Autosave and one manual save slot.[/QUOTE]

good to know for the future, thanks.

[quote name='Thrakker']You could also just delete the app and redownload it, if there's nothing else in the game data you need to keep.[/QUOTE]

thats what i ended up doing. thanks.

Does anybody have any thoughts on space invaders infinity gene? I was thinking of getting it before it goes up to regular price. Im on the fence with it having iap, do you need to buy them to enjoy it fully?

Sometimes I think combos make sense in Game Dev Story, but they don't like them

Shouldn't shooter and historical go together...like a WWII shooter ;)

[quote name='TheSummoner207']Does anybody have any thoughts on space invaders infinity gene? I was thinking of getting it before it goes up to regular price. Im on the fence with it having iap, do you need to buy them to enjoy it fully?[/QUOTE]

Both it and Infinity Blade are games I keep coming back to in the last few weeks, and that's after blowing a whopping $30-odd on ~20 games lately. So far if it's had "Infinity" in the name it's a winner ;)

[quote name='seanr1221']Sometimes I think combos make sense in Game Dev Story, but they don't like them

Shouldn't shooter and historical go together...like a WWII shooter ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah there a few combos that should work but don't work very well. My best selling game was a motion dancing game on my own system. The game is really fun but gets old when you get to the point where all your games seem to automatically sell 50mil units (even bad combos). Developing a console is fun but gets old quick due to the long development time. A real studio doesn't stop making games just to put out a console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back