iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='Stimes']Has anyone played Ghostbusters or Zombieland? They are both .99 still.[/QUOTE]

Ghostbusters is pretty much crap unless you're a die-hard fan of the movies. Even then it's pretty dull. You could do worse for a buck though.

Zombieland is fairly unremarkable, but better than I expected it to be. You basically slaughter waves of zombies, using various weapons, in different environments. Attack, watch zombies go splat, rinse, repeat. Again, not horrible for a buck.

As teased earlier, the newest FAAD title is Crimsonworld (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crimsonworld/id410828030?mt=8).
"One hero. Tons of monsters. And weapon. A LOT OF WEAPON.
Are you ready for pure non-stop action without any other stupid things?
This is CRIMSONWORLD. Doom-style bloody mess with top-down view.
✭ FEATURES ✭
✔ Perks system
✔ 25 unique locations
✔ 12 types of futuristic weapon
✔ Tons of deadly monsters
✔ Quest, Rush and Survival modes
✔ Stunning pre-rendered graphics
✔ AI Mode for the begginers
✔ Demo Mode for impress your friends"

The latest OpenFeint freebie is Hedgehog Launch (http://itunes.apple.com/app/hedgehog-launch/id393775889?mt=8).
"Launch your hedgehog into space in as few days as possible. Earn money by bouncing off platforms and hitting coins to buy upgrades. The higher and longer you go the more cash bonus you'll get!
Retina Display and GameCenter enabled!"

Hmmmm, as the chaos of the previous few weeks has temporarily subsided, I realize that I've received quite a few iTunes gift cards during this gifting season. In the spirit of holiday splurging, I've decided to cave in to my weaknesses and purchase Infinity Blade. Also, as a show of support for new indie developers, I've also snagged a copy of Wizard Hex. Now that there are more thorough instructions available online, I'm really anxious to try out this strategy board game. Of course, most of my anticipation is reserved for Blade. Just two more minutes left on the download. . .

EDIT: Download complete. Goodbye freetime!

[quote name='Dimsdale']Hmmmm, as the chaos of the previous few weeks has temporarily subsided, I realize that I've received quite a few iTunes gift cards during this gifting season. In the spirit of holiday splurging, I've decided to cave in to my weaknesses and purchase Infinity Blade. Also, as a show of support for new indie developers, I've also snagged a copy of Wizard Hex. Now that there are more thorough instructions available online, I'm really anxious to try out this strategy board game. Of course, most of my anticipation is reserved for Blade. Just two more minutes left on the download. . .

EDIT: Download complete. Goodbye freetime![/QUOTE]

Oo ... just dropped to $2.99 ;)

.. i kid, i kid ... enjoy

Someone said Reiner Knizia's Kingdoms dropped. I have a huge fetish for these board game ports to Iphone and Kingdoms is pretty decent. It's not my favorite and the four-man play results in too much clusterfuck but it is good fun all the same.

[quote name='DtotheP']SaveTunes is free again. Hurry because last time it was only free for a few hours. Dims I think you wanted this one?

App Store[/QUOTE]
Grabbed it! Thanks!

Thinking about getting Zombie Smash HD, is the regular version better? Also same question with braveheart.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DtotheP']SaveTunes is free again. Hurry because last time it was only free for a few hours. Dims I think you wanted this one?

App Store[/QUOTE]

Got it also THANKS!

[quote name='Cimpy101']Got to play BANG! a little more recently. It's not bad, but holy crap they left a lot on the table to be updated. Feels more like a beta considering every option I try to turn on says "coming in a future FREE update!".

Basic game isn't bad, but if you haven't played the game IRL or learned all the cards you'll be lost due to it's speed. If you're like me and like the real game, it's worth the price of entry.[/QUOTE]

I've gotten to play a bit recently, and I'm glad I got it based on your recommendation. The game as it exists now serves as a good tutorial, and I am really looking forward to the updates, as they should make it a much deeper game.

Also wanted to mention, to anyone who plays Trundle, there is a new level available now. Not sure exactly when it came out.

So what's the deal with Sword and Poker? I noticed some talk a page back that it's gone missing. Any idea why? I bought and played the hell out of 2 when it came out and I was thinking about grabbing 1 now.

App Store[/QUOTE]
SaveTunes looks interesting. I don't remember it being free before, so I made sure to grab a copy this time. Thanks!

In other freebie news, Forest Frenzy is one of the new FAAD titles right now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/forest-frenzy/id406204601?mt=8).
"You are Jeremy Ash, an earth loving, planet saving dude. One day, while playing music for your forest buddies, evil lumberjacks and robots come to cut down your forest!
With your animal friends and trusty slingshot in hand, you must defeat waves of evil lumberjacks, robots, bulldozers and more. Your mission: protect the forest at all costs.
Forest Frenzy features a fully functional slingshot that shoots a variety of ammo! Start at a level to suit the difficulty that's right for you. Original sound effects and music to keep you playing for hours.
Fully animated enemies with eye-grabbing graphics and artwork. Hours of fresh gameplay!!!"

Heads Will Roll
is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/heads-will-roll/id328294971?mt=8).
"Save your heads from getting crushed at the top of the screen by dodging the scrolling platforms bent on your destruction -- in the best fall down game on the App Store!
Complete with POWER-UPS, HIGH EXPLOSIVES, SCENERY, the dreaded (F)AIL BOMB, and the chance to score THOUSANDS OF POINTS!"

Smoke Monster is being featured by Great App a Day (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smoke-monster/id377181384?mt=8).
"Play the best snake game on the iPhone/iPad as the Smoke Monster!
Destroy everything in sight, destroy people, and avoid the sonic fences.
- Original soundtrack that will make you think Smokey is chasing you!
- Gameplay adapts to the music for the ultimate suspense.
- Classic snake gameplay elements plus much much more.
- Lots of hidden gems.
- Polar bears.
- More to come soon!"

Has anybody here purchased Slayer Pinball? I have gift card credit and im wondering if its worth it. any info would be awesome possum since there is no lite version, thx!

[quote name='AshesofWake']Has anybody here purchased Slayer Pinball? I have gift card credit and im wondering if its worth it. any info would be awesome possum since there is no lite version, thx![/QUOTE]

There is a 30 sec trial on pinball HD and it's awesome, I'm waiting for it to drop to 99 cents though.

Just completed my first bloodline in Infinity Blade. Holysmokes, that game is great! I picked up Castlevania: Lords of Shadow the other day and I still haven't busted it out of its shrink wrap because I just want to keep on battling in Blade. Seriously, IB is amazing and a definite recommendation without hesitation. Even at full price, it's a bargain considering the polish, presentation, and just plain fun that it brings to the table. It's the first truly console-quality game on a mobile platform I've experience so far. Thankfully, the hype has turned out to be justified in this instance.

If you live near a Target, you may want to drop by and pick up some iTunes cards. Right now, they're clearing out the holiday-themed 4-pack of $15 cards for only $50. Unfortunately, this offer isn't available online.

[quote name='Dimsdale']
Smoke Monster is being featured by Great App a Day (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smoke-monster/id377181384?mt=8).
"Play the best snake game on the iPhone/iPad as the Smoke Monster!
Destroy everything in sight, destroy people, and avoid the sonic fences.
- Original soundtrack that will make you think Smokey is chasing you!
- Gameplay adapts to the music for the ultimate suspense.
- Classic snake gameplay elements plus much much more.
- Lots of hidden gems.
- Polar bears.
- More to come soon!"[/QUOTE]

I don't care if this game sucks, though the reviews are okay. I miss LOST. Maybe this will get me through this January ;)

[quote name='willynateDgreat']I don't care if this game sucks, though the reviews are okay. I miss LOST. Maybe this will get me through this January ;)[/QUOTE]

I don't watch lost but I can tell you smoke monster does not suck.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Braveheart is a lot of fun Well worth the sale price of .99[/QUOTE]

I picked this up today after trying the lite version and the HD lite version. In the hd version everything is much smaller and I felt it took away some fun the standard version. Thanks for posting it, fun game. I got zombie smash regular version as well in fear of zombies being to small.

[quote name='Dimsdale']If you live near a Target, you may want to drop by and pick up some iTunes cards. Right now, they're clearing out the holiday-themed 4-pack of $15 cards for only $50. Unfortunately, this offer isn't available online.[/QUOTE]
I looked for these the last time someone reported them being marked down, but I only found the 3-packs of $10 cards. Do they keep them somewhere special? The packs I saw were at the checkouts.

The online-only King of Trindor! is the latest FAAD featured freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/king-of-trindor/id405891677?mt=8).
"This is an age of kings. Will you become one?
Build your country's strength, train your army, and go to battle online with your allies and friends in this MMORPG.
Rise to dominate in this land of swords and sorcery… Trindor awaits!
★★★★★
✓ loads of unique WEAPONS and EQUIPMENT
✓ multiple distinct ATTACK UNITS
✓ mysterious and powerful GODLY WEAPONS
✓ more than ten different INDUSTRIES"

Pirate Go is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/pirate-go/id396890892?mt=8).
"Welcome to the world of "Pirate Go"! This is an amazing wonderland, full of mysterious places. Your goal is to solve puzzles to guide Pirate Fairy escaping through this mysterious world.
It's a great puzzle game, a combination of various challenges for your intelligence and a fantastic entertainment for your leisure time. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, just try every solution you could come up with. Just Try and have fun!"

Space Boy Bink is being featured on Free App Calendar right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id404072623?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4).
"How does a homesick little alien find his way back home?
You will play Space Boy Bink, our quirky alien hero who is lost after being sent to the store by his parents.
He can’t help it if he gets a little distracted on the way, right?!
Travel throughout 40 levels of space filled with asteroids, comets, rock monsters, and more. Help Bink find his way home!"

Boxing Fighter has dropped to FREE for the first time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/boxing-fighter/id360909204?mt=8).
"Do you have what it takes to prove yourself in the ring? Train your fully customizable boxer to defeat over 100 different opponents and dominate the underground fight club scene!
Boxing Fighter is the first iPhone / iPod Touch Boxing game done in the classic styles of Street Fighter™ and Mortal Combat™, with beautiful landscape mode fights and massive special attacks!
Features:
• Try yourself out on single fights, or go for the world title in the 100 bout career mode
• Unlock four different locations from the Street Bar to the Death Match Club
• Take your opponent to the ropes and win major title bouts to take home the belts!
• Train your fighter in various techniques to help you beat the stronger fighters
• Buy new gear for your boxer including training machines and enhanced equipment
• Discover opponent shattering special moves including the lightning blast and fists of fury
• The VS Mode on Wifi"

[quote name='RollingSkull']Someone said Reiner Knizia's Kingdoms dropped. I have a huge fetish for these board game ports to Iphone and Kingdoms is pretty decent. It's not my favorite and the four-man play results in too much clusterfuck but it is good fun all the same.[/QUOTE]

I picked it up at the sale price. I like it, although it is definitely weird that it has absolutely no sound whatsoever. I don't want music, just some tile sounds, like in Carcassonne or what have you. Anything. Still, it's a fun game, though I suck at it so far - I can't beat even the easy computer players. :)

[quote name='seanr1221']Texting of the Bread is awesome. Everyone should pick it up.[/QUOTE]

What do you do in this game? It looks like it just shows a word or some random text and you type it. Is that it?

[quote name='crunchewy']I picked it up at the sale price. I like it, although it is definitely weird that it has absolutely no sound whatsoever. I don't want music, just some tile sounds, like in Carcassonne or what have you. Anything. Still, it's a fun game, though I suck at it so far - I can't beat even the easy computer players. :)

What do you do in this game? It looks like it just shows a word or some random text and you type it. Is that it?[/QUOTE]

its like typing of the dead. you type the words that appears above the bread to kill it

[quote name='Dimsdale']Just completed my first bloodline in Infinity Blade. Holysmokes, that game is great! I picked up Castlevania: Lords of Shadow the other day and I still haven't busted it out of its shrink wrap because I just want to keep on battling in Blade. Seriously, IB is amazing and a definite recommendation without hesitation. Even at full price, it's a bargain considering the polish, presentation, and just plain fun that it brings to the table. It's the first truly console-quality game on a mobile platform I've experience so far. Thankfully, the hype has turned out to be justified in this instance.[/QUOTE]

Yesssss. So I'm curious if anyone put many points into Magic. I mostly went Attack and HP and I felt like it was the best choice. The only magic I used was heal and it always filled me up 3/4 to full.
Here's my stats (I have every item Mastered. Anxiously awaiting for the next update)

IB.png

[quote name='Dimsdale']If you live near a Target, you may want to drop by and pick up some iTunes cards. Right now, they're clearing out the holiday-themed 4-pack of $15 cards for only $50. Unfortunately, this offer isn't available online.[/QUOTE]

This deal is shown in the Target - Sunday ad flyer... It states that quantities are limited, but looks like it applies to more than just Holiday packs.

[quote name='crunchewy']Minotaur Rescue is pretty awesome once you get the controls. The key is short swipes, not dragging your finger around. Think of it like a track ball and you're golden. Really fun game and definitely worth 99 cents. Jeff Minter has a win here. But I don't think I can compete with those scores....[/QUOTE]

GameZebo just did a review of Minotaur Rescue:

http://www.gamezebo.com/iphone-games/minotaur-rescue/review

Very interesting back-handed compliment to Jeff Minter at the end of the review.

[quote name='Cimpy101']Yesssss. So I'm curious if anyone put many points into Magic. I mostly went Attack and HP and I felt like it was the best choice. The only magic I used was heal and it always filled me up 3/4 to full.
Here's my stats (I have every item Mastered. Anxiously awaiting for the next update)

IB.png
[/QUOTE]
Yowza! I just started my second bloodline at Level 8. Nice to know that I still have quite a ways to go. I really like the strategy aspect of dealing with the enemies as they get tougher. One fine time waster indeed. . .

There are literally dozens of pages in the discussion forum on Touch Arcade about this game, so I thought I'd mention it here as well. Silverfish is currently on sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/silverfish/id392478796?mt=8#). The developer promises the price will go up to $2.99 once it reaches a certain threshold, so you may want to snag it now while it's cheap.

"Destroy the unrelenting onslaught in this unique and visually stunning arcade experience. Forget about dumbed-down shooters - Silverfish was designed for touch input to provide authentic and intense arcade action.
PCWorld and GamePro named Silverfish one of the "36 Best iPhone Games" of all time! Silverfish has been featured by Apple, TouchArcade, and TUAW.
Features
- Game Center leaderboards and achievements
- 4 challenging game modes
- Retina Display graphics
- Awesome realtime plasma/fluid fx
- Intuitive flick & tap anywhere controls
- Driving original soundtrack
Reviews
- IGN: 8.5/10 "Editors' Choice"
- PCWorld's GamePro: 5 out of 5
- Yahoo's Appolicious: 5 out of 5
- Eurogamer: 8 out of 10
- Pocket Gamer: 8/10 "Silver Award"
- 148apps: 4.5 out of 5
- AppAdvice: 4.5/5 "MUST BUY""

[quote name='Dimsdale']Yowza! I just started my second bloodline at Level 8. Nice to know that I still have quite a ways to go. I really like the strategy aspect of dealing with the enemies as they get tougher. One fine time waster indeed. . .[/QUOTE]

Oh and they do get tougher. I found the elemental paladins in the later levels to be harder than the God King actually. IB has to be my biggest time sink on iPhone yet. Loved it

I downloaded that Street Fighter Bubble game, thinking at best it would be an iphone fighting game that would kill a few minutes and not be overpriced like SSFIV and UMK3. Big mistake. What the fuck was that? Legit one of the worst games I've ever seen be called a game. I don't usually have a high standard for iphone crap but my god.

I'd like to recommend Push Panic for those who haven't played it yet. It's a great puzzle game where the goal is to remove blocks as they fall. There's strategy involved since you can chain big combos and use multipliers that boast your score.

It also has a really nice presentation and lots of modes. Only a buck.

Yeah, it's very fun and has a lot of content.

And if you guys haven't got it yet, Hook Worlds is one of the best iOS games to date. It's a running game with 4 different levels (all of them with different game mechanics), it has nice art, good music and really satisfying gameplay.

Gave Silverfish a few quick plays after lunch. Cool game. Reminds me a bit of Tilt to Live except you touch or flick to move your critter. Definitely has that "just one more time" potential. Lotsa polish, good 'sploisions. Definitely an easy recommendation for a buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back