iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

For those who played Monkey Island 2, how do you solve the puzzle where you have to go through doors that have bones? I looked for faqs and tried different combinations but I can't progress.

I think Infinity Blade is worth is for the graphics alone. I have a 3GS and it looks incredible. Could the game be more fun and have more depth, sure ... but it is amazing and also blows RAGE HD out of the water imo.

Personally, I think I'll wait for a price drop on Infinity Blade. The graphics are great, sure, but I'd like more gameplay than what's offered for the current price.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']For those who played Monkey Island 2, how do you solve the puzzle where you have to go through doors that have bones? I looked for faqs and tried different combinations but I can't progress.[/QUOTE]

Check your inventory. Read the song that you wrote down.

Meh, I tried checking one of the websites I wanted to use via Atomic Browser and the website shows up broken, it does not happen when you check it using Safari, sort of sad.

I sent the developer an email, but no clue if they are going to answer, or if it's going to eventually get updated.

Add me to your friends list. I have no real compitition on Infinity Blade. Not that I am awesome just higher lvled than anyone else on my fl. BREVITY Love that game!

Never pay more than $1-3 for a game on your iPhone/iPod Touch. Especially if you don't have a retina display atm. By the time you do, said game's price might well have dropped. I used to buy games at more than these prices, but too many times did I see a $5 game drop to a $1 a few months down the road when it began to fall off the charts. Keep your most expensive purchases at $3, make your most common ones $1 and always be vigilant for the freebies and you'll never go so wrong as to have a serious regret.

Infinity Blade is the new hotness right now, but it won't always have that in its favor.

All this assumes that you value getting the most bang for your buck. If this is not a priority, then why are you here at Cheap Ass Gamer? ;)

All imo.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Meh, I tried checking one of the websites I wanted to use via Atomic Browser and the website shows up broken, it does not happen when you check it using Safari, sort of sad.

I sent the developer an email, but no clue if they are going to answer, or if it's going to eventually get updated.[/QUOTE]

Nevermind. The developer just answered the email (kewl!), and for some reason the website is loading just fine, no clue what happened last night.

Munkey vs Ninjas is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/munkey-vs-ninjas/id404688293?mt=8#).
"The Ninjas want Munkey out of the forest but Munkey won't give in that easy! How does a Munkey defend himself against such unfair odds? With BOMBS of course!
Play as Munkey to defend the forest against crazy Ninjas trying to reach your tree house and even endangering baby chimps on the way!
Join this epic battle between Munkey and Ninjas, who are hell bent on literally bringing the Munkey down!
So can you help Munkey? Can you keep up the fight?"

[quote name='INCyr']So is Infinity Blade really worth the $6? Or should I wait for an eventual sale? Only have a 3GS, if that matters.[/QUOTE]

Completely worth it. It's honestly the best $6 I've spent on the iPhone. Gameplay is fun, it has a medieval badass feel to it, graphics are the best you'll find on the platform, and the loot system will get it's hooks in you. I was skeptical at first and a little worried about apps shooting up this high in price, but this game doesn't feel cheap. If it was on any other platform, I would think $10+ would be fair for something this good (though I don't think it'd be as fun without swipe controls).

[quote name='Azuvidexus'] but other than that, the whole game is a repetition: you get like 15 scenes or so, at the end you're either killed by the God King or you kill him, rinse and repeat. Enemies get harder over time, and you might see a couple new enemies, but the scenes and sequence are always the same.[/QUOTE]
The game does get a lot harder and you need to actually get better if you want to continue. Some of the enemies can take you down in one-two combo hits later on. I find the rinse and repeat to actually be fun and enjoyable (considering I play it in short bursts usually). I actually finished the game up to the point where I've mastered ALL the equipment and maxed out my character. It wasn't easy sometimes, but it was still fun getting there and reaching for some of the achievements. Also as relentlessrolento said, there is multiplayer and a new dungeon coming soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']For those who played Monkey Island 2, how do you solve the puzzle where you have to go through doors that have bones? I looked for faqs and tried different combinations but I can't progress.[/QUOTE]
I don't know, but I'm playing MI1 right now and you can shake the iphone for a hint. Don't know if that helps

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Meh, I tried checking one of the websites I wanted to use via Atomic Browser and the website shows up broken, it does not happen when you check it using Safari, sort of sad.[/QUOTE]
Ahh, bad luck. And a little surprising, since both browsers use the Webkit engine I believe. Fortunately, the vast majority of web sites will display fine in Atomic, as long as they're coded decently. I haven't run into any issues with it yet.

Holysmokes, I just saw that the App Store is nearing 10 billion downloads. If you're the lucky one who actually downloads the 10 billionth item, you'll win a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card (http://www.apple.com/itunes/10-billion-app-countdown/)! Pretty sweet considering you don't have to actually buy anything. Just keep downloading freebies and keep your fingers crossed . . .

EDIT: Heck, you don't even have to download a freebie to get in on the deal. Simply fill out a form (http://www.apple.com/itunes/10-billion-app-countdown/entry-form/) and take your chances that way if you want.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Holysmokes, I just saw that the App Store is nearing 10 billion downloads. If you're the lucky one who actually downloads the 10 billionth item, you'll win a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card (http://www.apple.com/itunes/10-billion-app-countdown/)! Pretty sweet considering you don't have to actually buy anything. Just keep downloading freebies and keep your fingers crossed . . .

EDIT: Heck, you don't even have to download a freebie to get in on the deal. Simply fill out a form (http://www.apple.com/itunes/10-billion-app-countdown/entry-form/) and take your chances that way if you want.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link.

[quote name='DtotheP']Metal Slug Touch is showing a sale price of $2 in the description, but the app is still $5. You might want to keep an eye on that if you're into that sort of thing...

App Store[/QUOTE]
I noticed that earlier, too. AppShopper doesn't show it ever dropping in price but the teaser is right there at the beginning of the description. I wouldn't mind trying out the Touch version of Metal Slug for $2. I think I have pretty much every other iteration of it. . .

[quote name='mujahid9']http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/Infinity+Blade/news.asp?c=26113&srch=infinity+blade[/QUOTE]

See, while I like this philosophy, it's also kind of hard to justify $6 for an iPhone game considering the quality of games I've gotten for my PC for that price. I know that's not the strongest of arguments, but even so, when I can get fantastic games for the iPhone for $1, and other fantastic games for the PC for less than $6, it makes it really hard to justify.

But that doesn't mean it's not still so tempting.

At first I was pretty thrilled with Atomic Web Browser and I bought the full version, but then I tried to read the XBLA deals of the week thread. It's pretty much a disaster in that thread. It doesn't seem to handle the fonts well at all. They overlap, are the wrong size and are generally a complete mess. Otherwise it seems to work well and it does seem fast. I can, for threads like that, switch the browser ID to Safari Mac and view the full version, but that's not ideal. Still, it has some great features and is fast. I'll keep using it for a while and see if I want to stick with it.

[quote name='crunchewy']At first I was pretty thrilled with Atomic Web Browser and I bought the full version, but then I tried to read the XBLA deals of the week thread. It's pretty much a disaster in that thread. It doesn't seem to handle the fonts well at all. They overlap, are the wrong size and are generally a complete mess. Otherwise it seems to work well and it does seem fast. I can, for threads like that, switch the browser ID to Safari Mac and view the full version, but that's not ideal. Still, it has some great features and is fast. I'll keep using it for a while and see if I want to stick with it.[/QUOTE]

How does it look like with Safari on your iPhone/iPad? I'm having issues with a website, but after checking it's more like the websites fault than the browser, because it also happened with Safari on my iPhone 4.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']How does it look like with Safari on your iPhone/iPad? I'm having issues with a website, but after checking it's more like the websites fault than the browser, because it also happened with Safari on my iPhone 4.[/QUOTE]

Try it? It looks fine in Safari (on iPhone 4). It looks like a disaster in Atomic. Here's the thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283304

Just scroll down until you get to all the listings. They're a disaster in Atomic and fine in Safari.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Today I die again is free today (sorry if double post)

worth it if you would like something like a 5 min adventure game.[/QUOTE]
Sweet deal, thanks for the heads up! :cool:

[quote name='jacknicklson']Those look fine in atomic
Change the identify browser as setting[/QUOTE]

What do you have yours set to? I've tried Mobile Safari and Mobile Safari iPhone. Looks terrible in both. I'm running on an iPhone 4 - what are you trying it on?

Here's how it looks:

Screenshot

[quote name='crunchewy']What do you have yours set to? I've tried Mobile Safari and Mobile Safari iPhone. Looks terrible in both. I'm running on an iPhone 4 - what are you trying it on?

Here's how it looks:

Screenshot[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what mine looks like in mobile safari on iPhone 4! The KMart deals thread does the same thing. What the hell is causing the differences?

Looks like Radiant is going to be free again. This is a really charming little game and absolutely worth it even at it's regular price of $1. I wish they'd incorporate a damn save system.

App Store

Update: Radiant got updated and is even moreso worth the download.

Also, the Metal Slug price drop happened, see my post about it for the linky-poo.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']That's exactly what mine looks like in mobile safari on iPhone 4! The KMart deals thread does the same thing. What the hell is causing the differences?[/QUOTE]

I find that CAG loads wrong periodically, or the site will have database errors and not load at all. I don't think it's the mobile browsers.

Metal Slug Touch dropped to $2

After looking at the reviews, I think I'm gonna pass. I love the MS series but this one doesnt even let you out of the tank.

[quote name='crunchewy']What do you have yours set to? I've tried Mobile Safari and Mobile Safari iPhone. Looks terrible in both. I'm running on an iPhone 4 - what are you trying it on?

Here's how it looks:

Screenshot[/QUOTE]

I've got a similar problem with Safari (iPhone 4) and the first page of this thread, haven't tried checking it with Atomic Browser, tho.

Weird. So maybe the problem is something with CAGs iPhone mobile view serving up munged HTML. I've never seen this problem with Safari myself, though, and it's not going away in Atomic. Is there a way to clear the cache in Atomic? You can for Safari (in the Settings app). Maybe that would fix it.

EDIT: also see that the first page of this thread is messed up in Atomic *and* Safari for me. Hmm.

[quote name='crunchewy']Weird. So maybe the problem is something with CAGs iPhone mobile view serving up munged HTML. I've never seen this problem with Safari myself, though, and it's not going away in Atomic. Is there a way to clear the cache in Atomic? You can for Safari (in the Settings app). Maybe that would fix it.

EDIT: also see that the first page of this thread is messed up in Atomic *and* Safari for me. Hmm.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that clearing the cache will help, but if not wrong you can find it here:

Settings > Privacy Options > Delete Private Data > Cache (or just activate Privacy Mode).

Cavernous is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/cavernous/id409784604?mt=8#).
"The Cavernous bats just found out their entire gem collection has been stolen!
Welcome to the Cavernous, a magical underworld of deep, engaging and colourful spaces. Help the bats redeem their gems as you explore the tunnels using nothing but the bats' sticky-bouncy skills.
Fast paced, easy to grab and challenging to master, Cavernous offers hours of fun."

Awesome Potato is one of the new FAAD offerings (http://itunes.apple.com/app/awesome-potato/id408369357?mt=8).
"Make your potato jump and get costumed!
Awesome Potato is the easist game ever but different from any other jumping games.
It's just standing high-jump trampoline game. Just one finger is enough to play it.
You can get higher jump when you make a perfect jump by perfect touch-timing.
However, sometimes you have to jump low on purpose in order to avoid obstacles. (flying plane or a flock of birds)
It becomes more difficult when jump pad suddenly pops up and swings or strange mist hides jump pad.
Various items such as Shield, Rocket, Cheer-up and Turtle items make you enjoy Awesome Potato more and more.
Gather stars more! You can unlock various costumes with them."

Paper Glider
is also being showcased by FAAD (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paper-glider/id384044746?mt=8#).
"How far can you flick and fly your paper plane? Use your finger to swipe the plane, avoid the ceiling fans and get it out of the window.
From the games studio that brought you Flick Football, Golf Putt Pro and Hotshot Pool, this is a totally addictive game.
You need to tap the screen in little bursts to give your plane a wind boost to make it fly through the zones. But you need to judge carefully how much to boost it as you only have a limited amount. Plus you must avoid crashing...Happy flying!"

Itsy the Spider Goes to China
is the latest OpenFeint freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/app/itsy-the-spider-goes-to-china/id365678609?mt=8#).
"You always knew that you'd reach incredible heights, shoot for the stars and have the world at your feet, so you're not going to let the fact that you're a little spider stop you. You only need the spider's web and so many points to surpass the stratosphere to go into orbit.
Accompany Itsy across the miles from flower to flower, take in the scenery while helping the spider tackle numerous obstacles along the way."

[quote name='TheRock88']Metal Slug Touch dropped to $2

After looking at the reviews, I think I'm gonna pass. I love the MS series but this one doesnt even let you out of the tank.[/QUOTE]
Yeesh, Slug Touch is pretty soundly panned all over the place. That's really disappointing. I wanted to try this one out but it looks like I'd be better served by dusting off my PSP and firing up that version instead. Or maybe I'll give one of these online Flash variations a try instead: http://www.allflashnow.com/metal+slug+flash+game+touch+mobile-online-games.html.

Radiant says that it's the FAAD Gold app of the day, but the price is still 99 cents, at least on the mobile app store. Will check again later.

Plants vs. Zombies update today adds Gamecenter. Not sure how that's going to work with multiple saves within the app. Would be nice if they could be tied to different GC accounts, but not sure if that's possible. Wish that it were.

[quote name='crunchewy']Plants vs. Zombies update today adds Gamecenter. Not sure how that's going to work with multiple saves within the app. Would be nice if they could be tied to different GC accounts, but not sure if that's possible. Wish that it were.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm ... Gamecenter vs. keeping the Michael Jackson zombie ... yeah, still not updating

[quote name='blk00civicsi']The turbo grafx game includes 1 freebie with the ability to purchase 15 additional games at 2.99 a pop. No thanks.[/QUOTE]

Thats pretty weak, I ran into it and got excited but realized that alot of these emulator apps that are free always sound amazing, but end up nickel and diming you with essentially a shell of a game unless you pay. I figured Id at least mention it since it originally sounded pretty sweet. I was even surprised at the list of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back