iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

Did anyone play Hector Badge of Carnage? It was supposed to be an episodic game, but I don't think the developer is continuing with it.

Was it any good? Does it end on a cliffhanger? I'm addicted to adventure games right now.

[quote name='eliter1']I check this thread everyday in hopes that Infinity Blade will finally drop to .99 and I am disappointed yet again...[/QUOTE]

...or you could just buy the damn game and enjoy it everyday instead of waiting to enjoy it. It's the same price as an extra value meal, and how many hours of replay value does that provide?

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']Did anyone play Hector Badge of Carnage? It was supposed to be an episodic game, but I don't think the developer is continuing with it.

Was it any good? Does it end on a cliffhanger? I'm addicted to adventure games right now.[/QUOTE]

I bought it shortly after it was released, but only put about an hour into it - not because it isn't good - I just haven't gotten back to playing it.

The game is on-par with any Lucas Arts Point and Click Adventure games you may have played. The one problem some people have with it is the fact that even though they're speaking English, they're not speaking American-English - it's the Queen's English - so some of the jokes might not be all that funny.

I'm a big Lucas Arts Adventure game fan and also dig some British comedy ("Spaced" and "Extras" anyone?) so I'm sure I'll end up finishing it at some point.

All-in-all, it's a really polished game with solid voice acting (albeit British voice acting). If you're an adventure game addict, there's really no reason you shouldn't buy it. I paid full price and would do so again in a second.

[quote name='DtotheP']...or you could just buy the damn game and enjoy it everyday instead of waiting to enjoy it. It's the same price as an extra value meal, and how many hours of replay value does that provide?[/QUOTE]

I rarely buy extra value meals or any fast food for that matter so it's harder to justify the purchase.:lol:

[quote name='stoned99']Quick rant about iTunes. I recently bought a new laptop and wanted to transfer all my apps over to the new computer. No big deal just copy them into the "Automatically Add to iTunes" Folder and let iTunes do the heavy lifting. 1700+ apps transfered into the new iTunes library... But iTunes informs me that 222 items have updates... So you would think the answer is just click on the "Check for updates", followed by "Update All". Well that would have been the answer except for the fact that iTunes continually gives me a network timed out error. Can anyone guess why... Because I have TOO MANY outstanding updates. So now to actually update anything I've had to redo the import process, but a 100 items at a time, followed by the update process.

iTunes was coded by a pair of illiterate monkeys.

The app area of iTunes sucks. Anyone else suffer from the drag bar must go down through the entire list of games before you can do shit problem, or after selecting a bunch of items to delete, iTunes simply crashes. Or my personal favorite, how slow the actual list of applications displays as it try's to display every friggin icon before it starts scrolling.

of course the guy who sits next to me is a mac biggot and claims iTunes is perfect on the Mac. Yeah but 95% of iTunes users are windows users and iTunes sucks on Windows. Steve Jobs goes on about Flash sucking, maybe he should look a little closer home.

And by the way iTunes performs the same way on every single computer I own Xp, Win 7, you name it.[/QUOTE]
Holy crap, how much did 1700 apps cost you? I cant even find 10 apps worth buying.

[quote name='cheaphuck']Holy crap, how much did 1700 apps cost you? I cant even find 10 apps worth buying.[/QUOTE]

Easy to get 1700 apps if you're getting all the free ones, too. ;)

[quote name='cheaphuck']Holy crap, how much did 1700 apps cost you? I cant even find 10 apps worth buying.[/QUOTE]

You must not be trying to buy anything then. There are easily 10 must have apps/games out there.

[quote name='eliter1']I check this thread everyday in hopes that Infinity Blade will finally drop to .99 and I am disappointed yet again...[/QUOTE]
that's crazy, cuz i do the exact same thing, lol.

Tried several times to download Hysteria Project on ipad while its still free, but it just wouldn't let me. The download bar went most of the way to the end, then it kept giving me a message that it failed to d/l and I should try doing it on itune on my computer instead (I'm not about to do that- hate using that program, that computer is EXTREMELY slow for me). Never had this problem before.

Happen to anyone else? Is it because it's a large program or something that takes a long while to d/l? (noticed the ipad screen goes off as it downloads, if I'm not doing anything else on it)

I don't like Hysteria Project - imagine the screen has doors numbered A, B and C and you have to pick one to get to the next set of doors or the game is over only there is no way to tell which one to pick. Maybe I'm missing something but I deleted this one pretty quick.

In for Pro Zombie Soccer. Will check it out later. I also have been having fun with Cover Orange, a physics puzzle game of sorts. The difficulty level is all over the place and it's nothing super great, but it's still entertaining. Not sure if it's still free or not, but if so it's worth picking up.

EDIT: yes, currently still free:

http://appshopper.com/games/cover-orange

The music will drive you bonkers, but for some reason I like it. :)

[quote name='twztid13']that's crazy, cuz i do the exact same thing, lol.[/QUOTE]

You guys could just get appshopper and add to your wish list, it will alert you of price drops. There are way to many posts on this full priced game to be on CAG. I don't care how good the game is, not a deal.

[quote name='seanr1221']RobotnGun is cool for free, but gets old fast.[/QUOTE]

Link?

It shows up 2.99 in the Appstore.

Ah, for IPAD its free. Not Iphone/Ipod Touch. Gotcha

[quote name='rez420']i always want to post deals,but someone always posts them before me,lol.
i guess staying up til 3 am playing Fallout New Vegas played a part in finding this then....

http://itunes.apple.com/app/pro-zombie-soccer/id358101524?mt=8

Pro Zombie Soccer.....really fun game,and free (for now)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! I'm trying to get as much as the games in the best games games you've never played before category for free!

Don't hold your breath.

Yes, I am creating an opportunity for myself to eat crow, because I'd also like it to drop to $0.99... but it isn't gonna happen. Epic/Chair is keen on making it worth the $5.99, not dropping the price.

[quote name='seanr1221']RobotnGun is cool for free, but gets old fast.[/QUOTE]
I appreciate you trying to clue us in on deals, but please say if it's iPad-only like this one.

re: Quake Builder: Tell me that "box shot" isn't a direct ripoff of Angry Birds!
Sunday Lawn looks cool, though. Thanks, mrsamsa!

According to Appshopper, Radiant never did go free in the last few days. Weak!

I didn't bother with Quake Builder but the others are all worth the download. Minute Commander looks to be a pretty in-depth strategy game with a decent tutorial and retina graphics, so there's really no reason not to download it.

ALSO: Road Blaster. Epic nostalgia win. Still.

BattleSheep! has dropped to FREE for today (http://itunes.apple.com/app/battlesheep/id395706132?mt=8) .
"You are right in the center of violent sheep fighting so just grab the nearest bomb and throw it in your enemies while they grow in number with each new level. Sure you can choose the best level of complexity for yourself but don’t count on it to save you cause this game is for life-and-death.
Don’t let the colorful graphics and nice background music fool you, this is serious, you have just one life and many enemies with a single goal to destroy you. To make this unequal fight easier on you, use bonuses like first aid box, vest and accelerator, and your victory on each level will increase your score so that you can show it off to your friends in OpenFeint."

[quote name='mrsamsa']You can still install your own apps on iDOS: http://toucharcade.com/2011/01/19/idos-open-emulation-rabbit-hole-still-exists-sort-of/[/QUOTE]
Confirmed this worked on my iPad. Tried playing liero, and although the game loads, it is too slow. Still very impressed, will have to think if there are any other dos games worth trying... the old Scorched Earth would be sweet :)

-Update-
lol, scorched earth works.

Make sure to run the iDos app and download one of the freeware titles before connecting with iPhone Explorer, otherwise the iDoes subdirectories don't exist.

-Update 2-
Nesticle runs at

Last edited by a moderator:
One for the iPad faithful:
Play Deal or No Deal on your iPad with iDeal, currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ideal-for-ipad/id393520037?mt=8).
"It’s time to iDeal on your iPad..! Deal now and feel the destiny in your favor on your every move you make..!
Click to Select a lucky briefcase, wish for the least amount or best gift in it…and get a chance to virtually win $1000000*, or Villa, or Car, Bike and other gifts.
The Fortune is just a click away..! Melt your worries away..Play iDeal..!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']One for the iPad faithful:
Play Deal or No Deal on your iPad with iDeal, currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ideal-for-ipad/id393520037?mt=8).
"It’s time to iDeal on your iPad..! Deal now and feel the destiny in your favor on your every move you make..! $"[/QUOTE]

iDeal or no deal? Deal! Thanks Dimms. Just to let everyone know there is an iPhone version as well, sorry for no link but if you search for it on appshopper it's normally $4.99 on sale for free.

New FAAD offerings include:
Chop Chop Soccer (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chop-chop-soccer/id382675103?mt=8)
"Chop Chop Soccer. Fast pace, frantic Action, epic 3 Vs. 3! Chop Chop Soccer has been specifically developed for the iPhone. Whether you choose to dribble your way through the defense or pick it apart with perfect passes, everything is possible with only one finger!
A soccer game has never been so intuitive !"

Dark Galaxy
(http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dark-galaxy/id403665668?mt=8)
"Space: the only frontier. With the Earth's resources all but spent, humans have colonized planets in the outer rims of the galaxy. Divided as ever, they battle endlessly among themselves, each world they inhabit a barren war zone. With alliances broken as quickly as they are formed, it's every man for himself. Do you have the will to conquer the galaxy by any means necessary?"

Alien Adventure (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alien-adventure/id407295807?mt=8)
"The objective of this game is to help Jora stop the evil genius. Launch alien as far as you can, save the planets!
Use catapult perks and avoid obstacles to achieve the goal of the game. Can you overtake that evil guy before it’s too late? Will Jora still have his home or he will need to seek a new one?"

The match-3 puzzler Mayan Puzzle is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/mayan-puzzle/id385160886?mt=8).
"Mayan Puzzle is a variant of brain challenging match 3 puzzle game like no other, where you have to destroy all blocks in a level in limited number of moves. Besides mind-boggling classic mode, it features also 3 other game modes (time trial, challenge, marathon) which are a mix of puzzle and arcade, great if you need to relax or have a few spare moments.
The action takes place in a beautiful Mayan surrounding spiced up with a lot of special FX and original Mayan soundtrack. It's a MUST-HAVE for a serious competitor. Be the first to complete all 50 levels in the classic mode or beat your friends via Game Center in time trail, challenge or marathon modes."

Epic War 3 is FREE for a limited time in association with DailyAppDream.com. Download the Daily App Dreams App to find out about the other free apps on offer each day!

Epic War 3 - War of Heroes
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/epic-war-3-war-of-heroes/id398316384?mt=8
The most epic strategy game with existing 25 million plays worldwide, now finally arrived at the AppStore. From the developers of epic app DEFENDER CHRONICLES collaborating with a leading flash games developer ARTLOGICGAMES, EPIC WAR 3. This game is a phenomenal strategy game and the most epic strategy games at leading online games portals.

Discover why Epic War 3 is the truly most epic strategy battle game. Collect and upgrade your creatures and command them as they slay their enemies on the battlefield. Plays as 6 different heroes and discover the great ultimate powers of the Titans and collect supreme magical skills.

[quote name='Stimes']You guys could just get appshopper and add to your wish list, it will alert you of price drops. There are way to many posts on this full priced game to be on CAG. I don't care how good the game is, not a deal.[/QUOTE]

I could but then I wouldn't be able to see what other game deals there are.;)
Is it me or have the game price drops been kind of slow? Maybe all the awesome Xmas deals are just overshadowing these ones.

Fyi, if anyone has any old school paper 3D glasses laying around, Pinball HD for iPad has "Stereoscopic Imaging" options that make the game 3D. It has  three different settings for different color lens.

Sad Princess PRICE DROP $1.99 -> $0.99
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sad-princess/id399550680?mt=8

Sad Princess is a fast pace action game with stylish graphics, smooth animation and cinematic scene.

Far away and just as long ago...an unusual fairytale happened on the land of Kingdom Mosorlak.
Our princess, Clover, was just fallen in love with the Prince of the kingdom.
But something happened and she was now on her way to revenge!
How much tears and pain was coming?
Will the story end with ‘They lived happily ever after’?

Has anyone tried this game that could give some feedback? The art seems interesting.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Just checked and it's still listed for $0.99 (US Store). By the way, the real price is $4.99, it has been on sale for $2.99 and $0.99.[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir. Sorry I read it wrong I meant to say it went from free to .99

Sorry again. I'm editing my post! :)

[quote name='jcslao']Thank you sir. Sorry I read it wrong I meant to say it went from free to .99

Sorry again. I'm editing my post! :)[/QUOTE]

I don't think it was ever free, it went from 4.99 to .99, looks like a good game though, thanks.

[quote name='DtotheP']Gyrosynth is currently free. If you own an iPhone 4 or an ipt4, you need this.

App Store[/QUOTE]

It requires 4.2, but I downloaded it in iTunes for future install. Thanks for the heads up!

You know what's crazy is that I have the appshopper app and I could of sworn I thought I saw .99 and below it, it said it use to be FREE and had a red slash mark going through it.

It doesn't even say it in the price history.

Hmmmmm...my brain hurts! Ha

[quote name='Stimes']Fyi, if anyone has any old school paper 3D glasses laying around, Pinball HD for iPad has "Stereoscopic Imaging" options that make the game 3D. It has three different settings for different color lens.[/QUOTE]

lol, I still keep a pair in my office so I just gave it a shot. As I expected, the effect works fine, but kills your eyes. I wouldn't recommend playing this way to anyone.

[quote name='DtotheP']Gyrosynth is currently free. If you own an iPhone 4 or an ipt4, you need this.

App Store[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up on another cool noisemaker for my Phone! Using it kind of reminds me of the Jimmy Page footage when he's playing his Theremin with Led Zeppelin. Fun!

FREE FOR ONE DAY ONLY! Download now, you've nothing to lose!

Flip It! Gyro Game
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flip-it-gyro-game/id380368539?mt=8

Flip It! Gyro is exclusive to the iPhone 4 & iPod touch (4th Gen) and uses the gyroscope and retina display.

In Flip It! players shake, twist, flip and jab to beat the challenges and climb to the top of the world rankings.

You need an iPhone 4 or the latest 4th Gen iPod touch to play Flip It! Gyro.

**THE ORIGINAL ARCADE FIGHTING GAME – NOW AVAILABLE AT A STUNNING LOW PRICE! SAVE 86%!**

Ultimate Mortal Kombat™ 3 PRICE DROP $6.99 -> $0.99
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ultimate-mortal-kombat-3/id408070814?mt=8

“FINISH HIM!” With 13 klassic warriors including Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Sonya Blade; multiple game modes; kustomizable kontrols; and updated visuals aimed to maximize the high-resolution Retina Display...you can relive the brutal combos and vicious fatalities that made Mortal Kombat one of the most iconic videogames EVER!

[quote name='Azuvidexus']**THE ORIGINAL ARCADE FIGHTING GAME – NOW AVAILABLE AT A STUNNING LOW PRICE! SAVE 86%!**

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sad-princess/id399550680?mt=8

“FINISH HIM!” With 13 klassic warriors including Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Sonya Blade; multiple game modes; kustomizable kontrols; and updated visuals aimed to maximize the high-resolution Retina Display...you can relive the brutal combos and vicious fatalities that made Mortal Kombat one of the most iconic videogames EVER!
[/QUOTE]

Edit: thank you sir. Been waiting for this game to drop to .99!

[quote name='Azuvidexus']**THE ORIGINAL ARCADE FIGHTING GAME – NOW AVAILABLE AT A STUNNING LOW PRICE! SAVE 86%!**

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ultimate-mortal-kombat-3/id408070814?mt=8

[/QUOTE]
i bought this game when it was on sale a while back for $0.99. its well worth that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back