iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

I knew PQ2 would drop and I'm so glad I waited (actually got very close to giving in last week). It was just really hard to justify the price when it came out alongside games like Dungeon Hunter 2 (yes, I know it isn't universal) and Infinity Blade for cheaper.

[quote name='mkernan']Puzzle Quest 2 just dropped to $5 from $10, and its a universal app.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/puzzle-quest-2/id398687544?mt=8[/QUOTE]

A lot of reviews are saying it doesn't work on the iPad and $5 is to much to gamble if I'm even going to be able to play it all.

[quote name='Cimpy101']Dead Rising Mobile is on sale for 1.99 -- I guess in time for it's most recent update

http://itunes.apple.com/app/dead-rising-mobile/id401617738?mt=8[/QUOTE]

I think I'm going to bite on this one unless someone has a reason I shouldn't.

[quote name='jimbach13']How does dead rising play on the iPad? Does it look stretched out on the screen? I not a big fan of some of the univeral games Ive seen so far.[/QUOTE]

I'm also wondering if it works ok on iPad, resident evil 4 non-HD version looks and plays ok. Also is it universal or is there going to be that annoying x2 x1 screen size button?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dead Rising Mobile looks good....anyone know if its just zombie killing the whole time. That was what I liked best about Dead Rising on 360...I hated doing the missions and the damn clock that was running the whole time. If this is just killing zombies with every frickin weapon you can find its an instant purchase for me. Any insight?

[quote name='jacknicklson']Having so much credit is a gift and a curse as we all know[/QUOTE]

Hehehe, yeah, the feeling that can't be resisted :lol:

I really like the first Puzzle Quest on the 360 but the reviews for this are very mixed right now so I think I'll hold off until they fix some stuff.

[quote name='caltab']i played pq2 a ton on the ipad and got to level 50, I never once had a problem.[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear, how many GB do you have and what version os are you? Does that matter? I think it does for the iPhone

4.2.1, 64 gb wifi version. Im not sure it matters. I think a lot of the bad reviews are for the iphone version, which I did not like

I have 16 gb. I think I'm going to wait. It says 32gb and above but don't know if it applys to iPad.

Neuroshima Hex has dropped to $2.99, the game just received an update that makes it universal and further built out the in-app instructions. Since I bought this back before Christmas it has been by far and away my most played app. There is a lite version so give it a go, but it is really good. It is a really a great hex-based board game and while confusing at first the developer has added a good rulebook and help. There is not a way to play online multiplayer, but the update did add game center and achievements.

[quote name='Stimes']I have 16 gb. I think I'm going to wait. It says 32gb and above but don't know if it applys to iPad.[/QUOTE]

This does not apply to ipad. All ipads have the same processor. THe third gen touch 8gb model had a slower processor so some games did not play as well.

[quote name='DtotheP']Looks like a P2P app briefly appeared, then swiftly disappeared. Anyone manage to grab it?[/QUOTE]

What was the name of the app?

[quote name='dougstill']This does not apply to ipad. All ipads have the same processor. THe third gen touch 8gb model had a slower processor so some games did not play as well.[/QUOTE]

Also good to know, thanks, I'm still going to wait on puzzle quest 2 due to some of the bad reviews I've read.

[quote name='prayformojo']Neuroshima Hex has dropped to $2.99, the game just received an update that makes it universal and further built out the in-app instructions. Since I bought this back before Christmas it has been by far and away my most played app. There is a lite version so give it a go, but it is really good. It is a really a great hex-based board game and while confusing at first the developer has added a good rulebook and help. There is not a way to play online multiplayer, but the update did add game center and achievements.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! Finally bought it. Had been thinking about it for a while and now the price is definitely right.

I'm also considering PQ2, but I'm on an iPhone 4 and I never finished the first one, so I don't know.

[quote name='DtotheP']Verdict on dead rising? Did the update make it worth the buy?[/QUOTE]

I guess I'll jump on the grenade. Downloading now, I'll let you know how it is soon.

Zombie Cafe is the latest FAAD featured game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zombie-cafe/id407401359?mt=8#).
"It’s hard to find good help, which is why you’ve partnered with an evil corporation to use zombies as free labor to build your café empire. Prepare food, direct your zombies and manage supplies. If the competition gets too fierce you can always direct your zombie workers to attack a neighboring café and steal their secret recipes."

OpenFeint is offering Kahoots as its current Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/kahoots/id380300088?mt=8).
"Save the Kahoots! Guide the Kahoots to the Exit Door of each of the 50 levels by shuffling around the blocks which form the world, in order to create a safe path. Kahoots features hours of puzzling gameplay, requiring logic and skill!"

I Luv Chocolat
is also being featured on FAAD right now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/i-luv-chocolat/id409137319?mt=8).
"A chocolate factory is laden with yummy chocolates ready to be stolen and collected along with bonuses and reward points waiting to be bagged in the kitty. Sounds easy? Not so easy, as there would be funny factory workers ready to tackle our hero’s predetermined actions. Help our hero to navigate into the factory by hoodwinking them to achieve the ultimate target, Chocolates. A combination of old-school game play and delicious ‘yummified’ targets makes ‘I Luv Chocolat’, fun-filled and challenging."

[quote name='jimbach13']How does dead rising play on the iPad? Does it look stretched out on the screen? I not a big fan of some of the univeral games Ive seen so far.[/QUOTE]

It plays good, there is a good size stick in the bottom left to control movement and two buttons on the right (one to open doors and pick up weapons/food and the other to attack/eat with. The open door/pick-up weapon button disappears when not in use(good thing). Also an action button to tap if being attacked by up close by zombies. There is the damn x2 x1 button but I haven't hit it on accident yet.

[quote name='Rollobobo']Dead Rising Mobile looks good....anyone know if its just zombie killing the whole time. That was what I liked best about Dead Rising on 360...I hated doing the missions and the damn clock that was running the whole time. If this is just killing zombies with every frickin weapon you can find its an instant purchase for me. Any insight?[/QUOTE]

So far my first 5 missions have been killing or involved killing lots of zombies in the mall, no clock, lots of weapons, I think you'll like it.

Ok so this game is fun, graphics are good but a little glitchy (sometimes body parts and the main characters head will disappear for a second), other than that it's great, very playable controls, it let's you go back to where you left off in the game if you hit the home button or need a break to check CAG. It's not a grenade it's worth more than $2.

[quote name='ryosnk']It's back up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up!

Also, does dead rising use the left thumbstick for movement AND aiming like resident evil? I hate that type of control scheme, can't get used to it at all.

★★★ Celebrates 1 million sales, Limited time sale 50% off ★★★

Awesome Note (+Todo) PRICE DROP $3.99 -> $1.99
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/awesome-note-todo/id320203391?mt=8

Finally, combine notes with to-dos in one app!

Awesome Note is an innovative note taking application and to-do manager that allow you to combine notes with to-do flexibility. Awesome Note enables you to customize its look with themes the way you want it to be displayed with different folder icons, colors, fonts and paper backgrounds.

From easy-to-use regular notes to notes with multiple photo attachments, To-Do Notes to organize your day, Post-It style Quick Memo to quickly jot down your thoughts, sending notes with photo attachments as email, and synchronization with Google Docs / Evernote, Awesome Note provides some powerful features.

Jot down your ideas, thoughts and memos, and create daily diary, travel diary, email box, checklist, shopping list, to-do list, scheduler and anything else you want and sort them into custom categories with Awesome Note.

With Awesome Note, you can easily and quickly organize your life better than ever.

Been tracking this app for three months, patiently waiting for a price drop. It has been featured by Apple several times:

• Most Used Note taking App for iPhone!
  • App Store Hall of Fame
  • iTunes Rewind 2010
Based on AppShopper, the last time this app was on sale was on November 2009. Heck, I just woke up, I usually sleep a couple minutes more before getting ready and head out to work, but thought I'd share it with my fellow CAGs.

The iPad version is also on sale, 40% off, ($4.99 -> $2.99), if anyone is interested.

Not exactly Sword & Poker, but DuelQuest claims to combine the two in a different kind of strategy game (http://itunes.apple.com/app/duelquest/id409461884?mt=8#). Try it while it's FREE if you're curious.
"COMBINES SWORDPLAY AND POKER
Challenge your friends or random opponents in the ultimate duel!
DuelQuest is a two-player game of strategy and action that introduces a totally new form of competitive gameplay. Read and bluff your opponent while performing moves like slashing, feinting, thrusting, and dodging.
* Duel the Trainer to get the rhythm of dueling
* When you are ready, duel your friends or random opponents from around the world!"

The brick puzzler Princess Breakout has dropped to FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/princess-breakout/id412689351?mt=8).
"Princess Loli was kidnapped by UFO, save her using your fingers!
The classic brick fun has now been redesigned(with retina display support), discover the endless fun of the traditional brick game with a set of revolutionary concepts:
- Two finger control, fully utilise your multi-touch screen, you can play with your two hands or corporate with your friends!
- 30+ unique levels(more coming soon), adventure across land, sea and space.
- 10+ power-ups, enlarge/shrink, faster/slow, explosive/ghost ball, rocket launcher and much more!
- Floating obstacles depending on weather, season and day/night, which make the game even fun and challenging.
- Special bricks have special effect, e.g. ice bricks will be re-frozen in snow whereas whirlwind can make your balls bounce towards arbitrary direction, and so on"

[quote name='Stimes']It plays good, there is a good size stick in the bottom left to control movement and two buttons on the right (one to open doors and pick up weapons/food and the other to attack/eat with. The open door/pick-up weapon button disappears when not in use(good thing). Also an action button to tap if being attacked by up close by zombies. There is the damn x2 x1 button but I haven't hit it on accident yet.

So far my first 5 missions have been killing or involved killing lots of zombies in the mall, no clock, lots of weapons, I think you'll like it.

Ok so this game is fun, graphics are good but a little glitchy (sometimes body parts and the main characters head will disappear for a second), other than that it's great, very playable controls, it let's you go back to where you left off in the game if you hit the home button or need a break to check CAG. It's not a grenade it's worth more than $2.[/QUOTE]

Awesome thanks for the feedback. It looks good and for 2.00 its probably worth it. Sometimes you just want some mindless zombie killing, ya know. :D

[quote name='DtotheP']Thanks for the heads up!

Also, does dead rising use the left thumbstick for movement AND aiming like resident evil? I hate that type of control scheme, can't get used to it at all.[/QUOTE]

It's not like resident evil for aiming, actualy you don't aim much at all, it does all the work for you, if there is a zombie in front of you, or close, and you press the fire button you will hit it. You don't have to slow the game down by stoping and pointing your red dot like RE4. Also aiming was the main thing that killed the console version for me I never could get used to the left stick to aim.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']★★★ Celebrates 1 million sales, Limited time sale 50% off ★★★

Awesome Note (+Todo) PRICE DROP $3.99 -> $1.99
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/awesome-note-todo/id320203391?mt=8

Finally, combine notes with to-dos in one app!

Awesome Note is an innovative note taking application and to-do manager that allow you to combine notes with to-do flexibility. Awesome Note enables you to customize its look with themes the way you want it to be displayed with different folder icons, colors, fonts and paper backgrounds.

From easy-to-use regular notes to notes with multiple photo attachments, To-Do Notes to organize your day, Post-It style Quick Memo to quickly jot down your thoughts, sending notes with photo attachments as email, and synchronization with Google Docs / Evernote, Awesome Note provides some powerful features.

Jot down your ideas, thoughts and memos, and create daily diary, travel diary, email box, checklist, shopping list, to-do list, scheduler and anything else you want and sort them into custom categories with Awesome Note.

With Awesome Note, you can easily and quickly organize your life better than ever.

Been tracking this app for three months, patiently waiting for a price drop. It has been featured by Apple several times:

• Most Used Note taking App for iPhone!
  • App Store Hall of Fame
  • iTunes Rewind 2010
Based on AppShopper, the last time this app was on sale was on November 2009. Heck, I just woke up, I usually sleep a couple minutes more before getting ready and head out to work, but thought I'd share it with my fellow CAGs.

The iPad version is also on sale, 40% off, ($4.99 -> $2.99), if anyone is interested.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. I bought it yesterday for full price.

[quote name='Stimes']There is a new Pac-Man out for iPad only called Pac-Man Battle Royale. It's free, but it's local multiplayer only, no single player no wi-fi.

http://appshopper.com/games/pac-man-battle-royale[/QUOTE]

WTF Pac Man Battle Royale came out for iPad and nothing else?! Damnit I've been waiting for that game to come out since playing it at E3. I want it soooo bad.

Other notes on Dead Rising Mobile, there is a ticker that counts your kills like the console version which is awesome, you can carry up to 5 weapons at once which is good. The one thing about the game your going to love or hate is the PP and all items will be lost if you die and don't have a friend on twitter or facebook to bring you back to life. There is a level-up system but doesn't let you choose attributes to raise and you go back to level 1 if you have no friends and die. You do not lose the progress of missions if you die. On the map screen there is three boxes labeled "more than 1 hour left" and "less than 1 hr. Left" and "zombies" to help you choose what kind of mission you want to play. I've tried a couple of the ones labeled "less than an hour left" and you DO have a time limit sometimes. Game is still well worth $2 or more.

P2P is still up, I just downloaded it.

I'm on the fence with Puzzle Quest 2... I love the first one, but I don't know how "new" the sequel is. I mean, I kind of feel like I could just play the first one over again with a different class maybe. Anyone that's played both, maybe they can sway me?

P2P seems like a must have app... but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how it can benefit me. I "get" what it should be able to allow you to do... but I'm just not seeing how to make it work. Any info would be appreciated.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']P2P seems like a must have app... but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how it can benefit me. I "get" what it should be able to allow you to do... but I'm just not seeing how to make it work. Any info would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

i second this. i got excited to DL it then didnt know what to do with it. no help file or anything

[quote name='GundamS']http://itunes.apple.com/app/riven-the-sequel-to-myst/id400293367?mt=8

Riven:the sequel to mist for $2.99

Worth it? Anyone have it?[/QUOTE]

I bought it when I got the appshopper alert. Now keep in mind I've only played it today.

It was honestly a tough call for me to bite on this one since I had played MYST on the PC before. Recently purchasing that same game on iPhone and playing it was kind of dissapointing, but I think that's because I had been through the "discovery" all ready. I have never played RIVEN and so I thought I had a chance to experience something new.

I'm enjoying it so far. There's something peaceful about it. I haven't encountered anything too frustrating yet, but that's because of the "shake and you'll see all the rediculous hidden stuff you'd probably never find" feature. This is especially helpful when on an iPhone when sometimes a button is like 4 pixels.

Anyway, I'll probably play more of it tonight and this weekend so I'll repost if I have any changes of mood. So far I'm glad I got it though.

[quote name='bajingo']i second this. i got excited to DL it then didnt know what to do with it. no help file or anything[/QUOTE]

I have no idea either.

[quote name='bajingo']i second this. i got excited to DL it then didnt know what to do with it. no help file or anything[/QUOTE]

Music sharing I'm guessing? Perhaps videos and such too (TV, movies, etc...)? I'm not exactly sure how one goes about transferring their account locked iTunes stuff from one phone to another...

[quote name='bajingo']i second this. i got excited to DL it then didn't know what to do with it. no help file or anything[/QUOTE]

I tried logging into the IP addresses that it gives you once you assign the program a password from a networked PC... no dice.

So I'm thinking that it will specifically link two or more "i" devices. For example, linking my iphone 4 to my wife's ipad. Now what we'll be able to transfer is beyond me... and I won't be able to test it until she gets home from work later this evening.

I'll report back if I make any progress.

Not a game, but....

Kinetic - Run Walk Cycle… GPS Tracking for iPhone; was 3.99; Free Today http://itunes.apple.com/app/id369324269?mt=8#

Kinetic is designed specifically to help measure and improve fitness and get in shape. Kinetic is ideal for outdoor activities such as running, cycling, hiking, walking or exploring new places. Suitable for everyone – from novice to expert.

Description
.................................................. ..........................

* Featured by Apple worldwide
* App of the Week - Australia
* App Store New Year New You

"Your app looks like a breath of fresh air and so customizable - that's so much more appealing to people too. Nike + GPS and Runkeeper doesn't do this."
Chris Herbert, MacStories

★★★★★ "Best GPS tracking app so far. All the other applications pale in comparison. The interface is clean and efficient. You can customize it to meet your needs based on the activity you are doing! I also love the option to cut down on GPS accuracy to save battery life. Keep up the great work!"
Clayton Meisman, iTunes customer

"Simply put, this is an indispensable companion for the health conscious users."
Dew Alam - Top10.com
I already have the motionX version of this, but this one looks interesting too because it has fitness goals. via SD.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']I tried logging into the IP addresses that it gives you once you assign the program a password from a networked PC... no dice.

So I'm thinking that it will specifically link two or more "i" devices. For example, linking my iphone 4 to my wife's ipad. Now what we'll be able to transfer is beyond me... and I won't be able to test it until she gets home from work later this evening.

I'll report back if I make any progress.[/QUOTE]

The description of the app seems to make it pretty clear, and it sounds pretty utterly worthless. You can share files you add to it via iTunes, with other iPhones/iPods/iPads or anything with a bonjour-enabled web browser. It sounds pretty stupid to me, but maybe the description isn't really as clear as it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back