iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='Cimpy101']I bought it when I got the appshopper alert. Now keep in mind I've only played it today.

It was honestly a tough call for me to bite on this one since I had played MYST on the PC before. Recently purchasing that same game on iPhone and playing it was kind of dissapointing, but I think that's because I had been through the "discovery" all ready. I have never played RIVEN and so I thought I had a chance to experience something new.

I'm enjoying it so far. There's something peaceful about it. I haven't encountered anything too frustrating yet, but that's because of the "shake and you'll see all the rediculous hidden stuff you'd probably never find" feature. This is especially helpful when on an iPhone when sometimes a button is like 4 pixels.

Anyway, I'll probably play more of it tonight and this weekend so I'll repost if I have any changes of mood. So far I'm glad I got it though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply and thoughts. I might bite on this today :)

I thought I'd have to wait until next holiday season for Riven to drop in price! Seems like a good grab to me. Make sure you have the space and bandwidth, though. This one clocks in at 1gb.

[quote name='msriflegirl']Good app? I am thinking about getting it.[/QUOTE]
I really like it. It's organized much better than the evernote app.

Syncing To-Do lists doesn't make them to-do lists in Evernote, though. Definitely worth considering if you're looking for a mobile notebook program.

It's got a free version limited to 10 notes so you can test drive the interface.

I've been waiting for forever to see Awesome Note drop. Finally! Grabbed it earlier. And I dunno if it was mentioned yet, but Sunday Lawn and Jungle Crash are free now. Both a lot of fun and great time wasters.

I love Awesome Note...I have it on the iPad and its the most used app right now for work. I take all my notes and todos on it. After a bunch of people saw it at work, they bought and have been using it. I bought it the day it came out. The nice thing it backs up (sync) with either Google Docs or Evernote. I can also email my notes to myself, do drawings on notes, etc. I'm hoping the developer will do email/export to PDF. Once the ipad gets a camera, I can see myself taking a picture of the whiteboard and embedding that with my notes. Right now I take a picture with my iphone, email it to myself and later put it in the ipad awesome note app.

Just re-loaded Puzzle Quest Episodes 1 & 2. Trying to figure out if I want to bite on PQ2 while it's on sale. . .

In the meantime, Galaxy Puzzle Classic is available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/galaxy-puzzle-classic/id413510673?mt=8).
"* FEATURES *
- Stuck in Game from doing it at least once ! 

- Game that makes fingers can not take a rest !
* HOW TO PLAY *

- Puzzle Game that delete blocks by connecting them over 3 in same colors.

- It can be enjoyed that thrilled game by taking bonus score through continuous combo.

"

You know I've got to have any game that promises me stuck in game from doing it at least once!

Also, the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day is 3 Kingdoms TD (http://itunes.apple.com/app/3-kingdoms-td/id412414331?mt=8).
" A classic TD game with a brand new twist of “Hero” gameplay.
Your favorite hero will ride out with you onto the classical epic three kingdoms’ battlegrounds. See him ride, cut, slash and cast on hundreds of enemy waves and aid him by building five different types of defense towers with distinctive powers. Show those enemies this is YOUR turf. The battle is on NOW!!"

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Man, I really wanted Madden 11 for the ipad to be 99cents......... oh well[/QUOTE]

I got it for iPad for $.99 at X-mas time and to be honest I felt ripped off, not a fun game at all, I know super bowl is coming but definitely don't spend $5 for it.

[quote name='Stimes']I got it for iPad for $.99 at X-mas time and to be honest I felt ripped off, not a fun game at all, I know super bowl is coming but definitely don't spend $5 for it.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I don't thin $5 for it is worth it.... but 99 cents would have been.... ah well.... guess i'll just wait for madden 12 to come out

[quote name='Lei']looks nice, i'm going to buy this when i get my iphone in a few months[/QUOTE]

You could always go ahead and buy it now while it's on sale...then you can just transfer it to your iPhone when you get it.

Download the FreeAppADay Store App and wish more top rated paid apps like Stenches: A Zombie Tale of Trenches will sawm the AppStore for FREE!

Stenches: A Zombie Tale of Trenches PRICE DROP $0.99 -> FREE
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stenches-a-zombie-tale-trenches/id399106941?mt=8

Deploy to the Trenches once again to take on a new and more deadly foe, the Zombie Horde. Lead your British Royal Expeditionary army as the last stand in Western Europe during the Great War and prove yourself as a true hero. Do you have what it takes to defeat the Armies of the Hundead or will you fail and join their ranks?

It was just announced, but I'm having issues downloading it right now. Also, if I search on iTunes it says that it still costs $0.99, but when I get into the page with the full description it says free. Trenches (another app from the same developer) has been on global Top Paid Apps before, and recently pushed it's way back (as I'm writing this it's #5 global Top Paid Apps). I believe that Stenches is almost the same thing, but just different theme.

Anyways, if you are interested keep an eye until the problems are gone to download. I'll probably update this as soon as I can get it.

Edit 1: Been told that this offer is supposed to be live tomorrow (January 30th).

Edit 2: Downloaded @ 10:56 AM GMT/UTC-5. Checked my account information just to confirm and I didn't get charged, under the price column it said Free (Account Information > Purchase History).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Azuvidexus']

It was just announced, but I'm having issues downloading it right now. Also, if I search on iTunes it says that it still costs $0.99, but when I get into the page with the full description it says free. Trenches (another app from the same developer) has been on global Top Paid Apps before, and recently pushed it's way back (as I'm writing this it's #5 global Top Paid Apps). I believe that Stenches is almost the same thing, but just different theme.

Anyways, if you are interested keep an eye until the problems are gone to download. I'll probably update this as soon as I can get it.

Edit 1: Been told that this offer is supposed to be live tomorrow (January 30th).[/QUOTE]

Dude, I just clicked on your link and it said free, I downloaded it, I hope it's not going to cost me a buck.

[quote name='Stimes']Dude, I just clicked on your link and it said free, I downloaded it, I hope it's not going to cost me a buck.[/QUOTE]

Just go to your account info and check if you were charged. If you were, report the problem with Apple and tell them it said free. Just tried and I did not get charged.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Zombie Cafe is the latest FAAD featured game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zombie-cafe/id407401359?mt=8#).
"It’s hard to find good help, which is why you’ve partnered with an evil corporation to use zombies as free labor to build your café empire. Prepare food, direct your zombies and manage supplies. If the competition gets too fierce you can always direct your zombie workers to attack a neighboring café and steal their secret recipes."

OpenFeint is offering Kahoots as its current Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/kahoots/id380300088?mt=8).
"Save the Kahoots! Guide the Kahoots to the Exit Door of each of the 50 levels by shuffling around the blocks which form the world, in order to create a safe path. Kahoots features hours of puzzling gameplay, requiring logic and skill!"

I Luv Chocolat is also being featured on FAAD right now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/i-luv-chocolat/id409137319?mt=8).
"A chocolate factory is laden with yummy chocolates ready to be stolen and collected along with bonuses and reward points waiting to be bagged in the kitty. Sounds easy? Not so easy, as there would be funny factory workers ready to tackle our hero’s predetermined actions. Help our hero to navigate into the factory by hoodwinking them to achieve the ultimate target, Chocolates. A combination of old-school game play and delicious ‘yummified’ targets makes ‘I Luv Chocolat’, fun-filled and challenging."[/QUOTE]

zombie cafe is pretty good, if you are a fan of restautant city type of game (cook and wait)

such a shame that it is only taking friends from Facebook thou... no GC or other things (stupid capcom...)

Zombie Cafe nearly gave me a heart attack, I was playing in bed, quit it and went down the hall to use the bathroom. As I'm coming back I hear something go 'Braiiins' and I'm like WTF was that. I guess the game sends push messages with custom sounds, even when you've jumped out of it. Yeah ... almost pissed my pants at 2 am in the morning ... luckily I had just gone ;)

If you liked Textropolis (and I sure did), Fishtropolis is now free (down from 1.99). "Spell your way through 15 different types of fish! Gather fish and unlock new ones as you discover more hidden words. Can't think of any more words? Shake to scramble the keyboard or ask for a hint. Stumble upon a word you haven't heard before? Fishtropolis defines each word for you!"

Recommended for anyone who likes word games.

Not free, Subsolar is at an intro price of 99 cents. It's the same game as the well reviewed Love Battle Princess with a G-rated skin. Since it's actually my son's iPad, I didn't feel I could buy LBP, but I did get Subsolar and I think it's very polished and fun. Definitely worth the 99 cents.

If you already have Love Battle Princess, most of what I've read says that you can skip Subsolar. If not, check either one out.

[quote name='blandstalker']If you liked Textropolis (and I sure did), Fishtropolis is now free (down from 1.99). "Spell your way through 15 different types of fish! Gather fish and unlock new ones as you discover more hidden words. Can't think of any more words? Shake to scramble the keyboard or ask for a hint. Stumble upon a word you haven't heard before? Fishtropolis defines each word for you!"

Recommended for anyone who likes word games.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Loved Textropolis, and Fishtropolis is more of the same, which is a good thing.

Fragger Desert Strike is the latest FAAD featured game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fragger-desert-strike/id376620803?mt=8).
"The world of Fragger is at risk, and he needs your help to explode all enemies! Unleash your shooting abilities to kill all the enemies and unlock 3 different perks!
Fragger Desert Strike, features 40 challenging levels and guarantees you many long hours of exploding fun!
Once you become and grenade launcher expert, compare your score online with the millions of Miniclip users that play Fragger."

Get ready for Superbowl Sunday with Speedback Football, now available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speedback-football-the-classic/id335610138?mt=8).
"From SKYWORKS™, creators of the hit iPhone/iPod touch sports games ARCADE HOOPS BASKETBALL™, WORLD CUP TABLE TENNIS™ and FIELD GOAL FRENZY™ FOOTBALL, comes another addictively classic football game!
In CLASSIC MODE you start with three downs to weave between defenders and reach the end zone as many times as you can. You will earn extra downs every time you score three touchdowns. Use your stiff-arm and spin to avoid tackles. There are speed boost pickups amid defenders. Get them if you dare. Once you run out of downs, it is time to hit the showers. Be careful because the defenders get faster and smarter with each touchdown.
In 2 MINUTE DRILL you will have two minutes to score as many touchdowns as you can. There are speed boost pickups you can get to increase your speed and get bonus points. In this mode you will also have the use of the stiff-arm and spin moves to avoid tackles. You can earn bonus seconds for scoring touchdowns without using your special moves. Be careful though, because the defenders get faster and smarter with each touchdown."

[quote name='Dimsdale']Fragger Desert Strike is the latest FAAD featured game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fragger-desert-strike/id376620803?mt=8).
"The world of Fragger is at risk, and he needs your help to explode all enemies! Unleash your shooting abilities to kill all the enemies and unlock 3 different perks!
Fragger Desert Strike, features 40 challenging levels and guarantees you many long hours of exploding fun!
Once you become and grenade launcher expert, compare your score online with the millions of Miniclip users that play Fragger."[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Dims! :bouncy:

Sweet, Fragger for free. I also loved Textropolis (great game for on the pot, lol), so I'm excited to get more of the same in Fishtropolis.

In case anyone's interested, the FitFu app has once again dropped down to $0.99 (http://appshopper.com/healthcare-fitness/fitfu). These are the same people that did the CrunchFu, PushupFu, and other -Fu apps. Basically, it's all the apps combined with a social media aspect (not sure if the other -Fu apps had that) - you create an account and can "friend" other users and track each other's progress via points (the more you workout, the more points you earn, which allows you to "level up"). Well worth the $0.99, IMHO.

Aw man, Huelsbeck did the soundtrack for subsolar? I loved Love Battle Princess and I may almost have to double dip just for that.

To be honest, I'm surprised they went with the slutty theme for LBP to begin with. I guess it can move units or get attention, but the game they had was VERY solid, the sort of thing that would sell itself.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Sweet, Fragger for free. I also loved Textropolis (great game for on the pot, lol), so I'm excited to get more of the same in Fishtropolis.[/QUOTE]

Just downloaded it from the exact location you speak of. :D

In for OMG Blocks, Fishtropolis and Fragger: Desert Strike. Thanks all!

Yesterday I downloaded Wispin as well. Pretty fun, but nothing too great IMHO. I don't like the tilt control, but using the joystick control it's hard to use special items as it's a separate button placed in the middle of the bottom edge. Weird. Still, for free it's a worthy download.

[quote name='etcrane']Zombie Cafe nearly gave me a heart attack, I was playing in bed, quit it and went down the hall to use the bathroom. As I'm coming back I hear something go 'Braiiins' and I'm like WTF was that. I guess the game sends push messages with custom sounds, even when you've jumped out of it. Yeah ... almost pissed my pants at 2 am in the morning ... luckily I had just gone ;)[/QUOTE]
That's pretty hilarious. I may have to install ZC just to see what kind of extra noises it makes. . .

In the meantime, GobangGame is FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gobanggame/id379262347?mt=8#). I think it's a multi-player variation of Go, but I'm hard pressed to tell from the description:
"这是一个有趣的网络五子棋游戏,当你闲暇之余,打开心爱的iphone,通过wifi连接到互联网络,和远在千里之外的朋友打一场游戏应该是一件很惬意的 事情。或者通过蓝牙,和身边的同事或朋友来一场五子棋比赛,也是一个不错的选择。五子棋不仅能提高思维、开发智力、手脑并用、修身养性,而且富含哲理,具 有西方的直观和东方的神秘。"
And the Engrish translation isn't much better:
"This is an interesting network gobang game.It is such a pleasant thing to fight a game with friends thousands of miles away when you open your lovely iphone and connect to the internet by wifi at your spare time. It is also a good choice to play gobang game with friends or colleague nearby by Bluetooth. Playing gobang can enhence logical thinking, develop intellectual ability, exercise the ability for hands and brain to work simultaneously."

Best Buy has:
Apple iTunes $50 Gift Card for $42.50 with free shipping: here
Apple iTunes $100 Gift Card for $85: here

Just in case anyone wants even more discounts on their app purchases =). I bought the $50 one. Figured I'd use it all eventually.

Play some virtual soccer and maybe you'll end up getting some real exercise while you're at it. ARSoccer - Augmented Reality Soccer Game is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/arsoccer-augmented-reality/id381035151?mt=8).
""It's like Kinect for the iPhone/iPod"
Using your own feet to kick through the camera, you can now play a virtual juggling game with any iPhone or new iPod Touch.
Point your camera at the ground and kick with your feet to juggle the virtual ball, it's fun and amazing!
Hone your skills as a virtual futbol master.
Compatible with iPhones and new iPod touches running iOS4. (3G, 3GS, 4G, iPod 4G)"

for ipad users, I got my fling one analog joystick 2 pack today. They are very sturdy and work awesome. The joystick really changes the feel of games like duel stick shooters. NOVA also worked great. Gameloft games have customizable controls, so they are very compatible. It makes the controls so much more accurate. Geometry wars and infinity field are totally different experiences with them on. They are pricey though, 29.95 for 2.

http://tenonedesign.com/fling

toucharcade hands on

http://toucharcade.com/2011/01/04/fling-game-controller-for-ipad/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back