iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

In celebration of the Lunar New Year, Three Kingdoms TD – Legend of Shu is FREE for one day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/three-kingdoms-td-legend-shu/id406465247?mt=8).
"Tired of TD games of guns and rockets? Three Kingdoms TD is definitely worth your trying. It is a unique TD game on iPhone/iPod touch, which story is based on the famous Three Kingdoms era in ancient China history. You will play as the army of Liu Bei, leading the Five Generals of Tiger to fight through over 20 classic battles. You need to deploy your units and heroes effectively to defend your headquarters. Meanwhile, you have several ways to gain the advantage in battles.
- Upgrade the heroes by sending them to fight and make them more experienced;
- Equip your heroes with items acquired during battles;
- Use heroes’ skills for better fighting power.
You are going to face various types of enemies in those huge battlefields. Try to win by your splendid tactics and strategies."

[quote name='Dimsdale']In celebration of the Lunar New Year, Three Kingdoms TD – Legend of Shu is FREE for one day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/three-kingdoms-td-legend-shu/id406465247?mt=8).
"Tired of TD games of guns and rockets? Three Kingdoms TD is definitely worth your trying. It is a unique TD game on iPhone/iPod touch, which story is based on the famous Three Kingdoms era in ancient China history. You will play as the army of Liu Bei, leading the Five Generals of Tiger to fight through over 20 classic battles. You need to deploy your units and heroes effectively to defend your headquarters. Meanwhile, you have several ways to gain the advantage in battles.
You are going to face various types of enemies in those huge battlefields. Try to win by your splendid tactics and strategies."[/QUOTE]

What is this game? An RTS?

Nevermind, I didn't notice "TD" in the name for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='etcrane']

Controls and framerate both seem smooth, the combat does have more depth than you might expect, though guns and sword are now 1 button with gun triggered at close proximity and guns at a distance. [/QUOTE]

Thanks. Just to let you know, you can change it so there is separate buttons for gun and sword in the settings for a total of 4 action buttons instead of three, it definitely helps for special moves like when you hold the gun button down to make a charged blast.

[quote name='CONMAN999']Game seems decent enough. What's the online like? Do you play the whole game in one sitting or can i move and come back later like in Words With Friends?

And I'll friend you or whatever so we can play.[/QUOTE]

Yes, like Words with Friends, though currently the notifications are slow and it doesn't badge the icon. The dev sounds like they are going to improve both. Oh... and it's still your turn. :)

DMC4 is impressive at $1.99. You probably want to change the controls from "simple" to "normal" so that gun and sword actions get separated. I can't believe iOS got a DMC game but psp didn't :(

League of Evil seems like a great N+/SMB clone but the controls don't work well on the iPad since the left/right buttons get spaced out a bit too far for thumb control. Hopefully this will be fixed.

Flick Field Goal is fun.

[quote name='Rollobobo']Something super close to Super Meat Boy on Iphone/Ipod Touch?

http://toucharcade.com/2011/02/02/league-of-evil-review-the-closest-thing-to-super-meat-boy-on-ios/

http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/league-of-evil/id405552598?mt=8

Buy this game...its a steal at .99

One of the best games I have EVER purchased on the iphone/touch.[/QUOTE]

ya I mentioned it a few posts above yours, but no one seemed to notice...its easily one of the better games i've played lately. I haven't actually played super meat boy, but Loved N+, and this game really reminds me of that. I was worried about how well the controls would work, but I haven't had any problems on the iphone (although, I really don't like their layout for the ipad)

I've also been playing flick golf a lot, a great time waster. You don't actually play an entire traditional round of golf. Rather, its one approach shot over and over again several times, and you get points per shot based on how much spin you use and how close you get to the hole. Nothing revolutionary, but simple fun.

Dang...I may have to get DMC4, League of Evil AND GTA: Chinatown.
Looks like I'm going to have a shake-up on my iPhone apps roster. Thanks, guys!

Bit on DMC4. I'm in the mood for a bit of mindless ass-kicking (only of the virtual sort, of course) and, with the threat of snows dumping their way onto us this evening, I feel like stocking up on a few new titles before my Internet and/or electricity get cut-off again (like yesterday). Need to give League of Evil a look-see next. . .Anyway, thanks to everyone for the posts about gameplay, etc. Those always help when I'm trying to decide on a blind buy.

[quote name='CodeWarMonkey']Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden came out today and is free. I don't know if that is a mistake because these games usually start out at $6.99.

Link: http://appshopper.com/games/sacred-odyssey-rise-of-ayden

Edit: Never mind. It is a bait and switch approach. Game is "free" until you want to continue and then you have to purchase the game in the app.[/QUOTE]

I'm all for this approach myself, however, it should be listed as free trial/$6.99 unlock, all right up front. But that's Apple's fault for not having that capability built-in to the app store. Point is, having separate trials sucks, for one thing because you lose any progress you've made when you switch to the full version.

I picked up Michael Schachts' Gold! and it is a fun and clever card game (same dev that produced Reiner Knizia's Money, Kindgoms and one other) and unlike those other games from that dev, this one has sound which is great. The game plays very well, but I don't mean the AI. Unfortunately the AI is terrible. I've yet to lose a game even on hard difficulty and I seem to always blow out the computer too. Still, the game is fun to play in spite of that, and it makes me want to buy the real version once it's available. Also note that when run on the iPhone/iPod touch (it's a universal app), you can only play 2 players due to lack of screen real-estate. On the iPad it allows the max of 3 players. There is a high score list which adds some value, given that the AI is so weak. Hopefully, since this is a brand new game (it's a simultaneous iOS and real game release), the dev will be able to improve the AI in updates.

I might pick up GTA:CW at the sale price. I played through it on the DS and loved it. I'm a little worried about the controls on the iPhone. I seem to recall having played the demo a while back and think it worked OK, but I don't know if I'd feel that way as the missions get tougher.

[quote name='Dimsdale']In celebration of the Lunar New Year, Three Kingdoms TD – Legend of Shu is FREE for one day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/three-kingdoms-td-legend-shu/id406465247?mt=8).
You are going to face various types of enemies in those huge battlefields. Try to win by your splendid tactics and strategies."[/QUOTE]
Nice! The Spring Edition with the Chinese New Year theme is free as well.

Just wanted to add that League of Evil is fantastic. Checked out the lite version and it didn't take me long to decide to buy the full one.

Is the iPad version of GTA worth it if I have the iPhone version? I never really play the iPhone version because I found it hard to control, is the iPad version a step up for those of you who have played it?

[quote name='caltab']ya I mentioned it a few posts above yours, but no one seemed to notice...[/QUOTE]
You sold me on my copy at "Super Meat Boy" ;)

Not nearly as good, but I'll take it as a nice alternative while on the go. These kind of games require precise controls and Iphone D-Pads are anything but that.

[quote name='B:L']Nice! The Spring Edition with the Chinese New Year theme is free as well.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, sir (or ma'am)! I missed that version. Downloading now. Happy Year of the Rabbit!

[quote name='caltab']ya I mentioned it a few posts above yours, but no one seemed to notice...its easily one of the better games i've played lately. I haven't actually played super meat boy, but Loved N+, and this game really reminds me of that. I was worried about how well the controls would work, but I haven't had any problems on the iphone (although, I really don't like their layout for the ipad)

I've also been playing flick golf a lot, a great time waster. You don't actually play an entire traditional round of golf. Rather, its one approach shot over and over again several times, and you get points per shot based on how much spin you use and how close you get to the hole. Nothing revolutionary, but simple fun.[/QUOTE]

Yes you did...Props to you good sir. :D

I highly suggest you give Super Meat Boy a whirl....you wont be disappointed.

LEAGUE OF EVIL PEOPLE!!!
(rollobobo and caltab approved)

Mad Skills Motocross is back down to .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/mad-skills-motocross/id410229362?mt=8).
"Turning a fan-favorite genre on its head, the hyper-addictive Mad Skills Motocross plays and feels like no other side-scrolling racing game. The unparalleled physics engine and unexpected power-ups give you a level of control that you have to play to believe. Launch off an enormous jump, land on your rear wheel, hit the throttle, and leave your opponent in a spray of dirt—then brag about it on Facebook and Twitter! Mad Skills Motocross is fun for novices but deep enough for nearly endless competitive high-level play. You’ll need to master wheelies, stoppies, nitro, rocket boots, backflips, front flips, and much more to truly be the best."

legendary wars is pretty fun, its kind of like plants vs. zombie because it has very similar resource system-your miners have to get gold in order for you to deploy the troops. I have some problems controlling the troops though. Once you tell them to go one way the don't stop unless you click them again, and its kind of hard to get the troop to go into the right grid on the board. I very much agree with slide to play's take on the game:

http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/legendary-wars-review

I believe they are going to update it to make it control better. If they do, I would easily recommend it to PvZ fans, but until then I am somewhat look warm on it.

It's amazing how many tower defense games there are, seeing as it just seems like a little sub-genre. Only one I've played is PvZ.

Anyone notice that apps have a certain size on your PC's iTunes, but are larger when you install them on your iPhone? For example, N.O.V.A. says 257.9 MB under its iTunes summary and in Windows Explorer. But when I went to install it, it takes up 288 MB on my iPhone. Kinda weird...

[quote name='jacknicklson']Dmc4 is the same
Almost double on the phone[/QUOTE]
Yeah, 155 MB on PC, 285 MB on iPhone. (just bought it today)

[quote name='ViolentLee']It's amazing how many tower defense games there are, seeing as it just seems like a little sub-genre. Only one I've played is PvZ.

Anyone notice that apps have a certain size on your PC's iTunes, but are larger when you install them on your iPhone? For example, N.O.V.A. says 257.9 MB under its iTunes summary and in Windows Explorer. But when I went to install it, it takes up 288 MB on my iPhone. Kinda weird...[/QUOTE]

They are compressed and get uncompressed when installed.

Oregon Trail takes up a whopping 1.17 GB when installed. WTF.

I'm tempted by Legendary Wars, but those kind of games play much better on the bigger iPad and this app isn't universal.

Does anybody ever get this error when installing a game : Unable to Download Application (app name) will be available for download when you log in to the iTunes Store on your computer. done? Retry?

Never mind, I restarted my iPad and it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Stimes']Does anybody ever get this error when installing a game : Unable to Download Application (app name) will be available for download when you log in to the iTunes Store on your computer. done? Retry?

Is there anything to do about it?[/QUOTE]

No, but i am getting very frustrated trying to update my existing apps through itunes. It shows that i have over 200 updates available for update and everytime i try to bring those updates up, it tells me either tha the connection has timed out or that the itunes store is not responding. I have not been able to update an app through itunes for over a month now. I can update them fine through the ipod touch though, no problem.

Looks like all the adult swim games are a buck.

Also, if you have hundreds of updates to do through iTunes, it will always time out. You have to update them a few at a time until you get around 100, or that's what I had to do anyway.

Also, if you're downloading an application through your phone and the connection gets reset or otherwise pauses, it'll queue in iTunes.

Since you guys all influenced me to try Game Dev Story, based on your obsession, can someone point me towards a guide or FAQ to help me get started. I feel like I've been struck with a terminal case of noobitis.

Based on all the hype, I decided to try out the lite version of Game Dev Story. My new PC game, Ninja Gai-pan, didn't chart so well. I was upset about this, so I HAD to buy the full version to make things right. hehe. Seriously though, I can see this being a game I spend a lot of time on. Glad I finally picked it up!

[quote name='Jordan1080']GTA Chinatown wars is on sale! 4.99. didn't see it posted[/QUOTE]

haha yup i posted it on the previous page.. :p its a good deal for anyone interested, lowest price its ever been.

[quote name='mrmagoo1974']No, but i am getting very frustrated trying to update my existing apps through itunes. It shows that i have over 200 updates available for update and everytime i try to bring those updates up, it tells me either tha the connection has timed out or that the itunes store is not responding. I have not been able to update an app through itunes for over a month now. I can update them fine through the ipod touch though, no problem.[/QUOTE]

I used to have the same problem. I researched it and read that it can be caused by a single app that is missing its game artwork/icon (if you look through the list). Can be fixed by deleting the app. Others have said changing your iTunes password helps. Honestly I have no idea how I fixed mine, lol, but it's worth a shot I guess.

Also, I am completely addicted to Haypi Kingdom. It has a fairly steep learning curve, but once you get it man... it's awesome to have such a fun MMO on my iPod. I don't even play much else these days besides that game.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I used to have the same problem. I researched it and read that it can be caused by a single app that is missing its game artwork/icon (if you look through the list). Can be fixed by deleting the app. Others have said changing your iTunes password helps. Honestly I have no idea how I fixed mine, lol, but it's worth a shot I guess.

Also, I am completely addicted to Haypi Kingdom. It has a fairly steep learning curve, but once you get it man... it's awesome to have such a fun MMO on my iPod. I don't even play much else these days besides that game.[/QUOTE]

Oh Haypi.... I was in one of the server that got merged, they completely screw it up and so i quit :bomb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back