iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

Logic Football is showing up as .99 and has been for the past few hours. I don't know if they haven't knocked the price down yet or if it was some kind of 5 minute freebie!

[quote name='Britshady']Logic Football is showing up as .99 and has been for the past few hours. I don't know if they haven't knocked the price down yet or if it was some kind of 5 minute freebie![/QUOTE]

I just got it today so it must be over, I'm sorry. I'll edit my post. Mad Chad should make up for it I'm having a lot of fun with it right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mujahid9']imho, real racing 2 is a noticeable improvement over real racing. so if you can only get one, get the second. the game is in its own class.

the only thing that could stop a reasonable interested person from clicking *buy* on real racing 2, is the whole issue of whether iphone games should cost *that* much/why not wait 'til it falls further. i personally feel that $5 is more than fair given that firemint spent $2 mil, 1.5 yrs, and lots of love working on real racing 2. just me.[/QUOTE]

What about for people who don't like Gran Torismo. Is the sim aspect dumbed down a bit for the iPhone? Sounds like a great game, but sim racing frustrates the hell outta me.

[quote name='Stimes']Nice, if it's half as good as RoadBlaster then well worth $.99[/QUOTE]

Cool... I like these old laserdisc games. I remember playing one called Mach 3 when I was a kid and have hopes that it eventually shows up.

So, both NFL 2011 and Madden NFL 11 are on sale for $0.99. I'm considering getting one or the other, but not both. Any opinions from ppl who have played both? I know there are trial versions of both, but I need to clear space on my iphone before I have enough room for anything more, so I'd appreciate other people's opinions. Thanks.

[quote name='guessed']So, both NFL 2011 and Madden NFL 11 are on sale for $0.99. I'm considering getting one or the other, but not both. Any opinions from ppl who have played both? I know there are trial versions of both, but I need to clear space on my iphone before I have enough room for anything more, so I'd appreciate other people's opinions. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Most people would probably say Madden but I prefer NFL. The gameplay just felt a bit better too me.

[quote name='guessed']So, both NFL 2011 and Madden NFL 11 are on sale for $0.99. I'm considering getting one or the other, but not both. Any opinions from ppl who have played both? I know there are trial versions of both, but I need to clear space on my iphone before I have enough room for anything more, so I'd appreciate other people's opinions. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If your worried about space madden is 327.2 mb, NFL 2011 is 219.7 mb. I really didn't care for madden, Nfl 2011 looks good but you might consider Backbreaker to get your football fix for this weekend it's free, universal, and only 10.5 mb.
[quote name='Dimsdale']

In other news, one of my favorite casual football time-wasters, Backbreaker Football, is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/backbreaker-football/id330281895?mt=8).
"Backbreaker Football brings next-gen console technology to the iPhone. Incredibly fluid animation (using NaturalMotion’s morpheme engine), bone-crunching tackles (based on endorphin simulation technology), a stunning 3D stadium and multi-angle instant replays. Show what your iPhone or iPod touch can REALLY do!"[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jason506']Most people would probably say Madden but I prefer NFL. The gameplay just felt a bit better too me.[/QUOTE]
My sentiments exactly. Granted I've spent more time with NFL.

[quote name='Stimes']If your worried about space madden is 327.2 mb, NFL 2011 is 219.7 mb. I really didn't care for madden, Nfl 2011 looks good but you might consider Backbreaker to get your football fix for this weekend it's free, universal, and only 10.5 mb.[/QUOTE]

Already grabbed Backbreaker, but thanks. I used to have the KFC version, wasted a decent amount of time with it.

I have a question for anyone who has played Godzilab's StarDunk. I just noticed that there is both StarDunk and StarDunk Gold on the iPhone App Store. Both are free. Both seem like the same game. What differentiates one from the other? Thanks!

To further complicate the pigskin choices, NCAA Football is also back down to .99 this weekend (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ncaa-football-by-ea-sports/id376106802?mt=8).
"PURE PASSION. TRUE INTENSITY. STUNNING VISUAL IMPACT! Designed to deliver the amazing graphic quality of the iPhone 4 Retina Display, see and feel the real college football experience. Represent the school of your choice and play with rules and plays reflecting the actual NCAA Division 1 game. Proudly lead your team to glory in the BCS National Championship!"

Didn't see this posted, but app shopper tells me electric box is free - not sure if it's a sale or price drop, but I HIGHLY recommend it. Probably my favorite puzzler on the app store.

Does anybody know if there is a good video streaming app for iPad that doesn't take a lot of time to start the movie and doesn't have to buffer all the time in the middle of your show? I've tried the free vlc streamer and it sucks. Thanks

I would use it to stream movies from my pc to iPad via wi-fi

[quote name='Stimes']Does anybody know if there is a good video streaming app for iPad that doesn't take a lot of time to start the movie and doesn't have to buffer all the time in the middle of your show? I've tried the free vlc streamer and it sucks. Thanks

I would use it to stream movies from my pc to iPad via wi-fi[/QUOTE]

I use Air Video, which is 2.99. I havent used it a ton, but its worked well when I have. It has 4.5 stars with a few hundred reviews, so the majority of people seem to be getting good performance. It could always be your internet thats causing all the buffering problems though.

[quote name='INCyr']Didn't see this posted, but app shopper tells me electric box is free - not sure if it's a sale or price drop, but I HIGHLY recommend it. Probably my favorite puzzler on the app store.[/QUOTE]

Thanks good game.

Thanks caltab also.

[quote name='INCyr']Didn't see this posted, but app shopper tells me electric box is free - not sure if it's a sale or price drop, but I HIGHLY recommend it. Probably my favorite puzzler on the app store.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, looks like fun. Downloading now.

[quote name='caltab']I use Air Video, which is 2.99. I havent used it a ton, but its worked well when I have. It has 4.5 stars with a few hundred reviews, so the majority of people seem to be getting good performance. It could always be your internet thats causing all the buffering problems though.[/QUOTE]

I use this one also. Works great for me.

Just saw the latest FAAD twitter that MovieCat is free (both iPad and iPod Touch). iTunes wouldn't let me download the iPod version yet, said it was being modified.

[quote name='superherocrimefighter']It should be noted that you need to put the $40 onto an iTunes eCertificate in order to get the extra $10 promo code.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the correction since i just glanced over it

[quote name='Stimes']Does anybody know if there is a good video streaming app for iPad that doesn't take a lot of time to start the movie and doesn't have to buffer all the time in the middle of your show? I've tried the free vlc streamer and it sucks. Thanks

I would use it to stream movies from my pc to iPad via wi-fi[/QUOTE]
I've got Air Video, ZumoCast, and Video Stream. I had buffering issues with Air Video so I started using ZumoCast. Unfortunately, Zumo has suspended new downloads of their app while they fix some stuff. It still (mostly) works great but you can't currently try it out. That brings me to Video Stream (http://itunes.apple.com/app/video-stream/id342124650?mt=8). I use Video Stream pretty much every day and it's been fairly consistent. It also costs $2.99 and it just received another update. There's supposed to be a free, ad-supported version but it doesn't appear to be currently available in the App Store. Anyway, I hope this info helps.

Advertising itself as a "unique" kind of match-3 puzzler, Tiny Grave has dropped to FREE for the first time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/tiny-grave/id396059161?mt=8).
"The Doctor and his assistant need help creating their monster. Experience their story with this new twist on the puzzle genre featuring a story mode with 17 levels of game play, spoken dialog, and immersive music. To aid your matching efforts the Doctor has created powerful potions that you can use to get out of dead end situations. Hone your matching skills or play a quick game by playing in Endless mode. But don’t worry; your progress is saved so you can continue your game at any time."

Twist inflatable vinyl into funny shapes with the help of Balloon Animals 3D Pro, the Free App Calender featured freebie right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id366106264?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4).
"This app contains BALLOON ANIMAL instructions in 3D! Also includes 3D Dollar Origami Shirt instructions! Make sure you also download the free/lite app to get instructions for a Dollar Origami Duck. Search LEARN2MAKE in the app store.
Other apps let you SEE balloon animals on your iPhone and iPod Touch, now MAKE THEM YOURSELF with True to Life Instructions! Balloons can be purchased at most grocery stores and pharmacies. Pick some up and start twisting Balloon Animals today!"

to owners of the iPhone (prefeably 4) on AT&T:

the required data package that comes on..do most of you have the $25/month or $45/month?

I'm heavily considering terminating my Verizon service and going to AT&T to get a cheaper monthly bill and cheaper iPhone 4....don't want to chance not getting a Verizon one.

But...the thing that everyone says Verizon's seems to have going for it, is the same unlimited data package my Android currently has. and APPARENTLY apps use a bunch of data on AT&T's iphone, and they only give you 2 gigs for the $25 (cannot, and will not pay for an extra $45 montly on top of my $39.99 and extra texting fee)..but i want to know how MUCH data, and which apps suck the most?

what consists of using data? playing my music, buying off the app store/itunes on-device, streaming netflix, playing games???

i hate the fine print BS just to get a phone bill later showing i've bounced my allowance :/

Hey guys, I just wanted to mention that I got a $100 iTunes Gift Card that I'm selling for $80 since I don't plan to use it because 1) My iPod Touch 8GB is almost out of space and 2) It would make me compulsively buy a lot of stuff that I may not even play 3) Would be bad for me since I need time to focus in school work and stuff like that

Please send me a private message if you are interested in purchasing it. Paypal would be ok as a method of payment. I can send the code for the card right away through a pm, or via email if you so desire.

[quote name='jcp42877']to owners of the iPhone (prefeably 4) on AT&T:

the required data package that comes on..do most of you have the $25/month or $45/month?

I'm heavily considering terminating my Verizon service and going to AT&T to get a cheaper monthly bill and cheaper iPhone 4....don't want to chance not getting a Verizon one.

But...the thing that everyone says Verizon's seems to have going for it, is the same unlimited data package my Android currently has. and APPARENTLY apps use a bunch of data on AT&T's iphone, and they only give you 2 gigs for the $25 (cannot, and will not pay for an extra $45 montly on top of my $39.99 and extra texting fee)..but i want to know how MUCH data, and which apps suck the most?

what consists of using data? playing my music, buying off the app store/itunes on-device, streaming netflix, playing games???

i hate the fine print BS just to get a phone bill later showing i've bounced my allowance :/[/QUOTE]
I'm on the $30 unlimited plan, had it before they removed the option. I'm not familiar with the $45 plan, what is that?

The only times I have ever even gotten above 2GB was downloading of large games after jailbreaking (cant download apps above 20MB on 3G without some changes) or when I was doing a lot of streaming from home/Netflix. I went an entire month with just my 10 email accounts syncing, loads of web surfing and other random data that some apps might have used and I barely hit 600MB. I didn't do any streaming or large downloads.

i hate the fine print BS just to get a phone bill later showing i've bounced my allowance :/[/QUOTE]

I am running on 200MB, never get above 150MB since Wifi is everywhere....

I have my iPhone 4 on order (Verizon) it'll be here Monday. So excited.

In answer to your question about data usage it's simply downloading data from the internet. App downloads, streaming music/video/whatever. Just playing music movies or games on your device will not eat up usage although games and apps can have push notifications or other online functionality that might use up data allowances. Go to myverizon.com and use the data usage calculator on the site. It'll help you estimate how much data you will likely use in a month based on average usages for different categories like streaming music or playing games online.

With the iPhone literally releasing as we speak on Verizon why would you want to go to AT&T now? If you are out of contract you get a credit towards your iPhone and the data plan is unlimited Vs. not unlimited. If you know you won't need unlimited that's another story. Personally I'd rather be safe than sorry as overage charges get outrageous fast. Also keep in mind that Verizon has stated that their unlimited plan is available for a "limited" time which means they will end it at some point. Could be only for the first wave of iPhone 4 customers, could be years.

Also if you are not desperate for an iPhone 4 I highly recommend just waiting this out entirely and getting a 5 in May/June when they do the annual refresh. I would wait but I'm going to get plenty of use in the 6 months till then that it's just not worth waiting.

What do you pay for texting? I'm on the 450 mins/unlimited text for $59.99/mo + $29.99/mo for unlimited data(-my 16% discount). I don't think you can even get an iPhone with a plan for less than that on either network.

AT&T iPhone plan options

450 minutes/900 minutes/Unlimited -- $39.99/$59.99/$69.99
1000 texts/Unlimited -- $10/$20
200mb data/2gb data/4gb data w tethering -- $15/$25/$45

I left out the now discontinued $5/200 texts and $30/unlimited data. Unless you're doing heavy audio & video streaming, it's unlikely anyone goes over the 2gb cap. Between AT&T and Verizon on the iPhone, the price difference is more or less negligible (I believe VZW offers a $5/200 texts option as well). Their voice coverage is likely better, but their data network is slower than AT&T and can't handle simultaneous voice & data (MMS while on the phone, browse the web while on the phone).

I've got a 3GS on AT&T (550 minute/unlimited text/unlimited data family plan). Yes, I work at AT&T but I'm far from the corporate shill you'll likely find. I'll try and answer anyone's questions as best I can if Google won't find you the answers you're looking for.

Good to know the AT&T plan setup. I could probably get away with limited texts as my monthly is close to 1k but I don't believe I've gone over that. Otherwise it sounds like the same cost just broken out differently.

450min/unlimited text is $39.99+$20 on AT&T and it's a package of 450 mins and unlimited text for $59.99 on Verizon.

I'll be disappointed if when I test network speeds with a friend of mine (he's got an iPhone 4 on AT&T and I'm getting the Verizon one on Monday) and find that AT&T is faster. I expect to use a ton of internet so this will be critical.

Question?

Im wanting to get a IPAD with my taxes.

I see that you can get the 2gb for 25 a month. I check twitter/facebook alot, webpages, emails for work/podcast, and some online games etc from time to time. Will i run over the 2gb per month?

Also, i dont need a contract for the 3g on the ipad right, i just enter my card? I dont want to sign no freaking contract with att&t. thanks.

iPad data plan is contract free, and they'll give you a notification at 80% and 90% of your usage as well as when/if you do go over. Unless you're streaming Netflix all day, you'll probably be fine with the 2GB plan (remember to switch to WiFi if you're concerned about usage - it's generally faster than 3G and is better on battery life).

As for data speeds, here ya go: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/02/verizon-iphone-review/

Let's put this as simply as we can: data rates on the Verizon iPhone 4 we tested were dramatically slower than those on its AT&T counterpart. How much slower? Well, even though network speeds fluctuate based on many factors, we didn't see the Verizon device peak much beyond 1.4 Mbps on downloads (and even that high was rare), and it barely hit 0.5 Mbps on upstream. On the other hand, the AT&T device regularly pulled down above 3 Mbps, and 1 Mbps or more going up. We'll admit that the Verizon speeds were more consistent, but the irrefutable fact is that AT&T's network is much, much faster, at least in our neck of the woods.

Of course, how much that's going to affect you is based on a lot of factors, and in our day-to-day, there wasn't a noticeable sensation of the device being slower. That consistency in data rates actually may have helped in some situations -- particularly when pulling down maps. We see our AT&T device stop and start quite a bit on major data pulls, whereas the Verizon phone seemed to latch onto a stream and not stop until the bits were uniformly situated on our phone. That said, there's no denying that YouTube videos and streaming content is going to appear more quickly on your AT&T handset.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Question?

Im wanting to get a IPAD with my taxes.

I see that you can get the 2gb for 25 a month. I check twitter/facebook alot, webpages, emails for work/podcast, and some online games etc from time to time. Will i run over the 2gb per month?[/QUOTE]
I was really concerned when AT&T discontinued their unlimited data plan, too. I thought 2GB was a ridiculous cap. However, in the 3 months that I've had my iPhone 4, I've only used 256MB of data total. Granted, I have wi-fi at home and in my office, but I've never once worried about the time when I am on the network. It's great. I check my mail and hit the web wherever, whenever.

Are any other iPad users having issues accessing the top 10 from within the app store app itself? I can browse categories just fine and if I search directly for a title that is fine too.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Are any other iPad users having issues accessing the top 10 from within the app store app itself? I can browse categories just fine and if I search directly for a title that is fine too.[/QUOTE]

I've had no issues this morning.

[quote name='Dimsdale']I've got Air Video, ZumoCast, and Video Stream. I had buffering issues with Air Video so I started using ZumoCast. Unfortunately, Zumo has suspended new downloads of their app while they fix some stuff. It still (mostly) works great but you can't currently try it out. That brings me to Video Stream (http://itunes.apple.com/app/video-stream/id342124650?mt=8). I use Video Stream pretty much every day and it's been fairly consistent. It also costs $2.99 and it just received another update. There's supposed to be a free, ad-supported version but it doesn't appear to be currently available in the App Store. Anyway, I hope this info helps.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I've added Video Stream to my wish list, I'll probably get it soon even if doesn't go on sale, I got the free version of air video and I'll try it later. Also thank you for Tiny Grave, I usually don't play many match 3 games but this one is good.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']Holy off topic for about 20 posts. Sales anyone?[/QUOTE]
Slow day for deals. Anything of note has already been posted (sometimes multiple times). Until something does show up, here's an ad-supported freebie you may want to try. It looks like WWF. . .with bombs:
War of Words (http://itunes.apple.com/app/war-of-words/id395392584?mt=8)
"War has come to the peaceful world of word games. Bombs fall from the sky, while thieves pillage and plunder without remorse. Will you be brave enough to face the chaos that is… War of Words?
War of Words is the next generation online crossword game. It starts with the turn-based word spelling gameplay you know and love – and adds bombs! Have you ever wanted to blow up your opponent’s words? Or maybe steal some words for yourself? Now you can."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back