iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

haha, I had a long thing written up after Sir Daniel posted his top ten list basically showing how all the 10 games he listed are blatent rip offs of other games (and no, "refining" an established game concept and genre does not qualify a game as "new"), but it would appear it's going to go nowhere fellas, so let's just leave it be and accept that he has a negative bias towards Gameloft. The thousands of Gameloft game reviews on the app store and my own personal experience with the games are all fake. Oh well... :roll: Back to Tomb R.... er... Unch.... er... Shadow Guardian! :razz:

[quote name='jjz203']haha, I had a long thing written up after Sir Daniel posted his top ten list basically showing how all the 10 games he listed are blatent rip offs of other games (and no, "refining" an established game concept and genre does not qualify a game as "new"), but it would appear it's going to go nowhere fellas, so let's just leave it be and accept that he has a negative bias towards Gameloft. He's right and the thousands of Gameloft game reviews on the app store are all fake. Oh well... :roll: Back to Shadow Guardian! :razz:[/QUOTE]

Lol yeah. I'm not really trying to convert him. Just show him the error in his logic ;). Plus, I'm bored at work right now. I blazed through my stuff and now I'm just sitting, waiting for the artists and programmers to catch up.

btw. I can't wait for that Starcraft -> Warhammer 40k clone to come out. I will buy that day 1 for sure (I'm a huge Starcraft fan).

Just out of curiosity, how does Star Battalion and Shadow Guardian control? And has anyone tried the co-op in Star Battalion? I'm thinking of playing it with a friend. I may pick them up but I'm trying to be picky about what apps go on my phone and what don't.

Also, wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread.

Shadow Guardian plays pretty well. There are a few instances where i got frustrated but overall the control scheme works well. There is a demo if you are on the fence

[quote name='Darknuke']You can't honestly call GameLoft asset thieves just because someone "claims" they were ripped from Starcraft. It's not like Blizzard just releases their source 3D/2D models anyway.

Right now, the only reason I can see that you hate GameLoft games is because you have this vendetta against them because they are more openly obvious to copying other games, whereas the big $60 titles cover it up more (sans WW2 shooters).

Clearly Gameloft makes good titles. Their games get good scores even from IGN (who I think underscore things all the time) and who are really picky when it comes to rip offs. So you saying they are bad games holds no grounds since they obviously get good reviews. You just don't like them out of principle.

Sure, Uncharted was good (I actually didn't care for it, but I won't say it was bad because of that. Obviously people like it), but it was a blatant rip off. I thoroughly enjoy Dungeon Hunter, which is a Diablo clone. Just because you don't like it, purely because you think Gameloft is shady, doesn't mean it isn't a good game and therefore doesn't contend with the likes of other copy-catters. It's a bit of a skewed example considering Uncharted gets like 95/100's, but it's the most obvious example I can think of.

Oh and by the way, I'm also a professional game developer. On a daily basis I deal with artists who ask for influence behind their concepts. Influence is just another way of saying "who should I kind of copy?" It's industry standard to utilize other companies good ideas to better your own. Sure, Gameloft doesn't really take their games to a new level, but keep in mind I doubt they make enough money to take risks like that. Their production values are already way higher than most games on the App Store. I mean I've seen 2D games with crap graphics selling for $3 or $4, whereas I can get a 3D gameloft game with voice acting, cut scenes, and decent sounds for around that price.[/QUOTE]

Gameloft games are only good if you have lower standards. That's my opinion at least. You have to realize that some sites, as you mention, give these games "good" scores because they are being compared to other appstore games. I don't see things the same way. If a game's good, is good in any platform. Period.

Would anyone on the right mind say that NOVA, Hero of Sparta, Modern Combat (lol, just look at those names) are on the same level of the games Gameloft rips off (Halo, God of War, Modern Warfare)?

And I don't get your point with 2D games. Basically you are saying that you'd prefer to pay $4 for a 3D Gameloft game, which is likely going to have godawful voice acting, terrible camera, bad controls and generally low production values than a 2D game?

[quote name='jjz203']haha, I had a long thing written up after Sir Daniel posted his top ten list basically showing how all the 10 games he listed are blatent rip offs of other games (and no, "refining" an established game concept and genre does not qualify a game as "new"), but it would appear it's going to go nowhere fellas, so let's just leave it be and accept that he has a negative bias towards Gameloft. The thousands of Gameloft game reviews on the app store and my own personal experience with the games are all fake. Oh well... :roll: Back to Tomb R.... er... Unch.... er... Shadow Guardian! :razz:[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahahaha. Go ahead, I really want to see that post you were "writing". I'd love to see how a game like Spider The Secret of Bryce Manor, or Hellsing's Fire are also rip-offs from other games.
-------------------

There's no reason why I (or anyone else for that matter) would have a personal "bias" against a game company. It's just ridiculous. But from my personal experiences, all Gameloft games (Spiderman aside) I've played have:

- Performance issues (frame drops, dithering)
- Godawful voice acting
- Godawful level design (amateur, uninspired, linear, copycats of levels in other videogames)
- Godawful camera
- Generally terrible, unresponsive controls
- Uninspired graphics (bad art combined with low polygon characters/environments and laughable use of special effects)

Gameloft is king of "master" of all jack of none.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of this nerdraging aside, this has nothing to do with actual sales on games... but thanks for being dicks for the past page! Reading your drivel killed 15 minutes for me, so thanks for that.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']All of this nerdraging aside, this has nothing to do with actual sales on games... but thanks for being dicks for the past page! Reading your drivel killed 15 minutes for me, so thanks for that.[/QUOTE]

Hee nerdrage. +1 to that sentiment.

Someone was trashing Puzzle Quest 2 based entirely on the reviews, which was weird. I mean I get not liking a game after playing it, but, er whatever. I've played about 20 min of PQ2 and have liked it a lot thus far (I'm still in the hand-holding "quests"). There are loading screens, and all the tarted up art/graphics/animations make things feel slow, but it's got a solidly fun gameplay formula, the controls are better than PQ1, it hasn't crashed on me. For $5 it's great. My only gripe is it's 1.2 GB installed, which is massive.

Hey all. I have $60 burning a hole in my pocket, and I was thinking of buying something for the PS3 or the iPhone. Do you think I should buy

Uncharted 3 on PS3

or

Alone at War
Asphalt 6: Adrenaline
Assassin's Creed - Altaïr's Chronicles
Bailout Wars
Blades of Fury
Block Breaker Deluxe 2
Blokus
Brain Challenge 2: Think Again!
Bridge Odyssey
Brothers In Arms 2: Global Front
Bubble Bash
CSI: Miami
Castle Frenzy
Castle Of Magic
Chess Classics
DJ Mix Tour
Driver
Dungeon Hunter 2
Earthworm Jim
Eternal Legacy
Ferrari GT: Evolution
Fishing Kings
GT Racing: Motor Academy
Gangstar: Miami Vindication
Gangstar: West Coast Hustle
Guitar Rock Tour 2
Hero of Sparta II
Iron Man 2
Let's Golf! 2
Midnight Bowling
Midnight Pool
Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus
N.O.V.A. 2 - Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance
NFL 2011
New York Nights: success in the city
Platinum Solitaire
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Real Golf 2011
Real Soccer 2011
Real Tennis 2009
Rise Of Lost Empires
Rogue Planet
Shadow Guardian
Shrek Forever After : The Game
Shrek Kart
Siberian Strike
Skater Nation
Spider-Man: Total Mayhem
Splinter Cell Conviction
Star Battalion
Terminator Salvation : The official game
The Oregon Trail
The Settlers
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X
UNO
War in the Pacific
Wild West Guns
Zombie Infection

[quote name='Brian234']Hey all. I have $60 burning a hole in my pocket, and I was thinking of buying something for the PS3 or the iPhone. Do you think I should buy

Uncharted 3 on PS3

or

Alone at War
Bailout Wars
Blades of Fury
Block Breaker Deluxe 2
Blokus
Bridge Odyssey
Bubble Bash
Castle Frenzy
Castle Of Magic
Chess Classics
DJ Mix Tour
Driver
Dungeon Hunter 2
Earthworm Jim
Eternal Legacy
Fishing Kings
Guitar Rock Tour 2
Hero of Sparta II
Iron Man 2
Let's Golf! 2
Midnight Bowling
Midnight Pool
NFL 2011
Platinum Solitaire
Real Golf 2011
Real Soccer 2011
Real Tennis 2009
Rise Of Lost Empires
Rogue Planet
Shadow Guardian
Shrek Kart
Siberian Strike
Skater Nation
Splinter Cell Conviction
Star Battalion
The Oregon Trail
The Settlers
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X
UNO
War in the Pacific
Wild West Guns
Zombie Infection[/QUOTE]

You are aware that you have a while to wait on Uncharted 3 right? So my vote would be for instant gratification over waiting a few months. But to each his own.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']All of this nerdraging aside, this has nothing to do with actual sales on games... but thanks for being dicks for the past page! Reading your drivel killed 15 minutes for me, so thanks for that.[/QUOTE]

how are we being dicks? I'm just having a reasonable discussion about why I disagree that GameLoft games are as bad as Fortesque says they are.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']Gameloft games are only good if you have lower standards. That's my opinion at least. You have to realize that some sites, as you mention, give these games "good" scores because they are being compared to other appstore games. I don't see things the same way. If a game's good, is good in any platform. Period.

Would anyone on the right mind say that NOVA, Hero of Sparta, Modern Combat (lol, just look at those names) are on the same level of the games Gameloft rips off (Halo, God of War, Modern Warfare)?

And I don't get your point with 2D games. Basically you are saying that you'd prefer to pay $4 for a 3D Gameloft game, which is likely going to have godawful voice acting, terrible camera, bad controls and generally low production values than a 2D game?

Hahahahahahaha. Go ahead, I really want to see that post you were "writing". I'd love to see how a game like Spider The Secret of Bryce Manor, or Hellsing's Fire are also rip-offs from other games.
-------------------

There's no reason why I (or anyone else for that matter) would have a personal "bias" against a game company. It's just ridiculous. But from my personal experiences, all Gameloft games (Spiderman aside) I've played have:

- Performance issues (frame drops, dithering)
- Godawful voice acting
- Godawful level design (amateur, uninspired, linear, copycats of levels in other videogames)
- Godawful camera
- Generally terrible, unresponsive controls
- Uninspired graphics (bad art combined with low polygon characters/environments and laughable use of special effects)

Gameloft is king of "master" of all jack of none.[/QUOTE]

Are you running an iPhone/iPod Touch 4th gen? Because none of those performance issues you are getting I am getting on any of the games I've played so far.

Again, my point being made towards the fact that games aren't cheap. I doubt GameLoft makes a hefty fortune on these games. Chaos Rings is about the only game on the appstore with all-around great attributes (for a high budget title). Plus, there's the fact that the iPhone can only handle so much and even Chaos Ring's levels aren't full 3D. Look at any of the 3D games in the app store. None of them are super high poly (except Infinity Blade, which really isn't a fair comparison since that's expensive, prototype Unreal tech that probably wouldn't run well if it were real time with lots of moving objects). I've also not played a Gameloft game with poor controls. The ones I've played so far are Spiderman, Shrek Kart, Hero of Sparta, and Dungeon Hunter. They all play fine.

And since when has a game being linear been a bad thing? God of War is linear. Uncharted's levels are uninspired, considering they are rips from Lara Croft games and a little bit of Modern Warfare desert levels. As for Amateur, I strongly disagree. Have you ever played the average Xbox Live Indie Game?

Voice acting I can make no argument in favor of. Yeah it's bad, but at least it's there.

Camera could always be better, but it's definitely not the worst I've seen.

I think Shadow Guardian and Hero of Sparta have very nice graphics, with all things considered. I doubt there's any way they could make them nicer without even further degrading performance.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a fanboy or anything (I don't consider myself one as before today I owned like 3), but from what I can tell, you are just hating for the sake of hating. You haven't given me one good reason to think Gameloft is bad. All your arguments make no sense when I have thousands of reviews from gamers like myself and tons of critic reviews praising these games, despite their copying.

Also, so Hero of Sparta got a 9.0 on IGN. Spider: Bryce Manor got an 8.9. Hellsing's Fire got a 7.0. Shadow Guardian got an 8.5. In relation to other iPhone games, your games did, overall, worse than the GameLoft games. And I don't really understand why you would say a game is good no matter the system. Not true at all. It's all about demographics. You should know that if you are a "pro developer." Angry Birds would've flopped in a heartbeat if it released as a full disc-based game at a higher price tag on Xbox 360 (which it would've had to be considered a legitimate game/to cover disc production). Retail games on the 360 aren't meant to be THAT casual. Of course it will do well now that it has reputation behind it, but at its start it wouldn't have. Halo: Reach or God of War on the DS would've also flopped. That system is meant primarily for Women and Children, like the Wii. That's why games like My Baby (or whatever it's called) sold 3 million copies on DS (I read that disappointing fact a year ago or so).

So to say that Hellsing's Fire would fare on XBLA against the heavy hitting puzzlers or Spider: Bryce Manor would fair against the Limbo's, Braid's, or SplosionMan's is absolutely ludicrous and obviously a fanboy's sentiments. Hero of Sparta and Shadow Guardian only survive on the iPhone because of all the people, myself included, are like "Man I wish I could play God of War/Uncharted/Halo/Starcraft on my phone" and they know they need to do a good job to represent those killer titles, which they do, obviously by their reviews.

In short, haters gonna hate ;)

[quote name='blk00civicsi']You are aware that you have a while to wait on Uncharted 3 right? So my vote would be for instant gratification over waiting a few months. But to each his own.[/QUOTE]

I think he's being sarcastic. Against who, I'm not sure.

[quote name='Brian234']
Hey all. I have $60 burning a hole in my pocket, and I was thinking of buying something for the PS3 or the iPhone. Do you think I should buy

Uncharted 3 on PS3

or

Alone at War
Bailout Wars
Blades of Fury
Block Breaker Deluxe 2
Blokus
Bridge Odyssey
Bubble Bash
Castle Frenzy
Castle Of Magic
Chess Classics
DJ Mix Tour
Driver
Dungeon Hunter 2
Earthworm Jim
Eternal Legacy
Fishing Kings
Guitar Rock Tour 2
Hero of Sparta II
Iron Man 2
Let's Golf! 2
Midnight Bowling
Midnight Pool
NFL 2011
Platinum Solitaire
Real Golf 2011
Real Soccer 2011
Real Tennis 2009
Rise Of Lost Empires
Rogue Planet
Shadow Guardian
Shrek Kart
Siberian Strike
Skater Nation
Splinter Cell Conviction
Star Battalion
The Oregon Trail
The Settlers
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X
UNO
War in the Pacific
Wild West Guns
Zombie Infection
[/QUOTE]

Damn nice list but better watch out s. Daniel is on a nerd attack :lol:. Uncharted 3? or do you mean Uncharted 2? If you meant Un2 you can find if for 30 new at many places. So with the other 30 you can pick up a majority of those games.

Back to sales

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is .99
http://appshopper.com/games/battlefield-bad-company-2

[quote name='Shimrra']Damn nice list but better watch out s. Daniel is on a nerd attack :lol:. Uncharted 3? or do you mean Uncharted 2? If you meant Un2 you can find if for 30 new at many places. So with the other 30 you can pick up a majority of those games.

Back to sales

http://appshopper.com/games/battlefield-bad-company-2[/QUOTE]

IGN gave that game a 5.0 so I'm skeptical to pick it up. And not to rub it in even more to Fortesque, but Modern Combat got an 8.5. Rip off beats straight franchise game? Take that! =P

[quote name='jacknicklson']Shadow Guardian plays pretty well. There are a few instances where i got frustrated but overall the control scheme works well. There is a demo if you are on the fence[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the demo - I keep forgetting that there are demos out. I kinda just overlook them. =P

[quote name='Shimrra']Damn nice list but better watch out s. Daniel is on a nerd attack :lol:. Uncharted 3? or do you mean Uncharted 2? If you meant Un2 you can find if for 30 new at many places. So with the other 30 you can pick up a majority of those games.

Back to sales

http://appshopper.com/games/battlefield-bad-company-2[/QUOTE]

Considering EA is having a "I love .99 sale" allot of their iphone catalog is that price right now ;)

http://www.ea.com/news/i-love-99-sale

Also, putting his sarcasm aside, I'm fairly confident that getting Brian234's list for $60 is bunk. I went to check out quite a few titles on it thinking I was going to get a steal but they were $5-$7. (NOVA 2, Settlers, NHL). I think he just assumed that all Gameloft titles were on sale.

Also, so Hero of Sparta got a 9.0 on IGN. Spider: Bryce Manor got an 8.9. Hellsing's Fire got a 7.0. Shadow Guardian got an 8.5. In relation to other iPhone games, your games did, overall, worse than the GameLoft games. And I don't really understand why you would say a game is good no matter the system. Not true at all. It's all about demographics. You should know that if you are a "pro developer." Angry Birds would've flopped in a heartbeat if it released as a full disc-based game at a higher price tag on Xbox 360 (which it would've had to be considered a legitimate game/to cover disc production). Retail games on the 360 aren't meant to be THAT casual. Of course it will do well now that it has reputation behind it, but at its start it wouldn't have. Halo: Reach or God of War on the DS would've also flopped. That system is meant primarily for Women and Children, like the Wii. That's why games like My Baby (or whatever it's called) sold 3 million copies on DS (I read that disappointing fact a year ago or so).

So to say that Hellsing's Fire would fare on XBLA against the heavy hitting puzzlers or Spider: Bryce Manor would fair against the Limbo's, Braid's, or SplosionMan's is absolutely ludicrous and obviously a fanboy's sentiments. Hero of Sparta and Shadow Guardian only survive on the iPhone because of all the people, myself included, are like "Man I wish I could play God of War/Uncharted/Halo/Starcraft on my phone" and they know they need to do a good job to represent those killer titles, which they do, obviously by their reviews.

In short, haters gonna hate ;)
Your arguments are laughable. Why in the world are you using IGN's scores as some kind of abstract, bullshit metric to determine which game is better? Is this some kind of joke or what? By your flawed logic, Pacman Championship Editon DX is the greatest videogame ever created because it got a 10/10 from IGN. Amirite?

And one of the reasons why Bryce Manor and Hellsing's Fire are excellent games are because they are designed with the pros and cons of iDevice games, as I mentioned before, so is pretty dumb to say "those games wouldn't be as good compared to XBLA games". Apples to Oranges dude; those games make 100% use of touch screen controls.
------

Regarding this whole Gameloft discussion, Ars Technica put it better in a few words:

There is the act of borrowing ideas and themes from past sources to inform your video games, and then there is the new trailer for GameLoft's Starfront: Collision on the other. It's not just that the game is a StarCraft clone; it's the fact that every one of the game's assets seems to be taken from Blizzard's game, changed just enough to avoid legal repercussions, and then crammed into the game.
Like I said, I can't fathom how anyone can defend stuff like that. With that mindset, you are basically saying "Go ahead developers, create unoriginal crap that lacks any creativity for our system! After all, the big developers are not bringing their AAA games for us to play, but you can copy 'em. It's all good! We'll take it and pretend to like it!" UGH.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']Your arguments are laughable. Why in the world are you using IGN's scores as some kind of abstract, bullshit metric to determine which game is better? Is this some kind of joke or what? By your flawed logic, Pacman Championship Editon DX is the greatest videogame ever created because it got a 10/10 from IGN. Amirite?

And one of the reasons why Bryce Manor and Hellsing's Fire are excellent games are because they are designed with the pros and cons of iDevice games, as I mentioned before, so is pretty dumb to say "those games wouldn't be as good compared to XBLA games". Apples to Oranges dude; those games make 100% use of touch screen controls.
------

Regarding this whole Gameloft discussion, Ars Technica put it better in a few words:

Like I said, I can't fathom how anyone can defend stuff like that. With that mindset, you are basically saying "Go ahead developers, create unoriginal crap that lacks any creativity for our system! After all, the big developers are not bringing their AAA games for us to play, but you can copy 'em. It's all good! We'll take it and pretend to like it!" UGH.[/QUOTE]

Ok now you're being a dick.

First of all, I'm using IGN stats because A. It's easy, and B. It's a hard statistic versus your opinionated BS.

You also clearly said a game can do well no matter the system, but now your telling me they do well because they make good use of the iDevice's touch controls? You're backtracking and changing your argument. Make up your mind.

As far as the article goes, just because ArsTechnica put that out, doesn't mean they have hard facts, which they clearly don't as there are no sources. There is NO way GameLoft was able to rip Starcrafts models straight up. They are making an absurd claim with no grounds. At best, Gameloft built them from the ground up with alterations in mind. Plus, I disagree with that article entirely. A lot of those zerg units look like things from Dead Space or other random sci-fi things. I didn't see one recognizable zerg unit. The "Protoss" had very few lookalikes, and the "Terran," who obviously are the closest rip, have a few. The Marine and Wraith are the most obvious that stand out. Does that mean they stole models from Blizzard's archives and just changed them around? NO! Quit being a media consuming idiot and take that article for what it was, an opinion/absurd claim.

I'm in no way saying for devs to create "unoriginal crap" but clearly you can't see passed your own wall of bullshit to realize that Gamelofts "unoriginal crap" is no different than Uncharted's "unoriginal crap" or even Starcraft's "unoriginal crap." Did you know Starcraft was a blatant Warhammer 40k rip off (after it was supposed to be a Warhammer 40k game, that got canned and altered into what is now Starcraft)? If you did, you wouldn't be making this argument.

Seriously. Get off your high horse. Gameloft is no different than ANY AAA studio out there. They rip off games no differently than Naughty Dog, Epic, Blizzard, or Infinity Ward, you're just mad that they use names like "Modern Combat" or "Hero of Sparta" to clearly rip on the name of the game they are copying. I bet if Uncharted was called "Crypt Raider" you'd have a cow about the game. I don't know how I could make this anymore obvious to you...

(in no particular order)

Modern Combat = Modern Warfare = Brother in Arms = Battlefield = Counterstrike

NOVA = Halo = Killzone = Resistance = Gears of War = Section 8 = Marathon = Doom

Shadow Guardian = Uncharted = EVERY Lara Croft = Assassin's Creed = Even as far back as Blackthorne

StarFront = Starcraft = Warhammer 40k = Supreme Commander = Star Wars = Star Trek

Hero of Sparta = God of War = Dante's Inferno = Devil May Cry = Bayonetta

God do I need to be any more blatantly obvious about how your hatred towards Gameloft is purely political PROBABLY based on the fact (now that I know you read into the Media like it's the Bible) that the media has a hay-day with them.

Every, EVERY, EVVVEERRYYYYYY studio ever made, EVER, took influence, aka copied another game. Pong copied fucking tennis for christ sake.

EDIT: Oh wait, I saw ONE Mutalisk look-a-like in that trailer. Though it was super small so it was hard to tell. It had wings and a tail like thing, so it must've been one "amirite?"

Does anyone know how Shadow Guardian and Hero of Sparta II run on the 3G iPod Touch?

Probably never gonna get a PS3, so this is the next best thing xD.

edit: nvm, I'll try the demo and report back.

[quote name='Darknuke']IGN gave that game a 5.0 so I'm skeptical to pick it up. And not to rub it in even more to Fortesque, but Modern Combat got an 8.5. Rip off beats straight franchise game? Take that! =P[/QUOTE]

I was skeptical after seeing that review too, but it's the only negative review I've seen of the game, everyone else seems to think it's great. I've only played the free version of Modern Combat 2, but I like BFBC2 better, the controls just feel a bit better to me. Granted it's not quite as pretty, but it's an original single player campaign from the company who actually released the original game, not a clone.

[quote name='mrsamsa']I was skeptical after seeing that review too, but it's the only negative review I've seen of the game, everyone else seems to think it's great. I've only played the free version of Modern Combat 2, but I like BFBC2 better, the controls just feel a bit better to me. Granted it's not quite as pretty, but it's an original single player campaign from the company who actually released the original game, not a clone.[/QUOTE]

I guess considering MC2 is still full price vs. .99 cents for BFBC2, you can't go wrong with getting BFBC2. I haven't played either, but if price wasn't an issue, I'd go with MC2 purely based on reviews. Those 1000+ 1 star reviews compared to 1500 5-star for BFBC2 worry me (3000 5*/500 1* for MC2).

How are you being dicks? Cluttering up a thread about GAME DEALS with post after post after post of your self-righteous bullshit regarding game developers and their ethics. I am in no position to be a thread cop, but really - you ought to take that shit somewhere else; this might come as a surprise to you, but some people actually come in here looking for deals on games. And by "some people" I mean "most."

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']How are you being dicks? Cluttering up a thread about GAME DEALS with post after post after post of your self-righteous bullshit regarding game developers and their ethics. I am in no position to be a thread cop, but really - you ought to take that shit somewhere else; this might come as a surprise to you, but some people actually come in here looking for deals on games. And by "some people" I mean "most."[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.

On topic, Paladog at $.99 is very much worth it. I have been playing the hell out of it lately.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']How are you being dicks? Cluttering up a thread about GAME DEALS with post after post after post of your self-righteous bullshit regarding game developers and their ethics. I am in no position to be a thread cop, but really - you ought to take that shit somewhere else; this might come as a surprise to you, but some people actually come in here looking for deals on games. And by "some people" I mean "most."[/QUOTE]

I'm just sticking up for my fellow game developers. If you have issues, you are more than welcome to skip my posts. It's not like the forum only has a limited space and we are taking up valuable deal spots. Get over it.

EDIT: I looked at the Paladog screens. Is that the Oregon Trail wagon in the background? haha. I know it's not, but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Kind of funny. Might pick the game up when it's .99 cents.

[quote name='DietPoopSoda']I agree with this.

On topic, Paladog at $.99 is very much worth it. I have been playing the hell out of it lately.[/QUOTE]

I TOTALLY agree. Bought Paladog a couple days ago, played it nonstop for a longgg time, beat it, and now am wanting more :(

[quote name='Darknuke']Ok now you're being a dick.

First of all, I'm using IGN stats because A. It's easy, and B. It's a hard statistic versus your opinionated BS.
[/QUOTE]

Bravo, second sentence of your post and you just basically annihilated any chance of having a smart argument. Why bothering arguing then.

LOL @ using IGN stats to back up arguments. LOL
---------------------

Anyhow. Let's keep going with the deals.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']Bravo, second sentence of your post and you just basically annihilated any chance of having a smart argument. Why bothering arguing then.

LOL @ using IGN stats to back up arguments. LOL
---------------------

Anyhow. Let's keep going with the deals.[/QUOTE]

People review games for a reason... I have no idea why you think that it's a bad thing to use REAL stats in an argument vs. opinionated bull shit? Oh and way to avoid EVERY OTHER LOGICAL ARGUMENT I made. Bravo. You clearly know what you are talking about.

Also, I just noticed the guy who said Paladog was .99 must be mistaken or something. It's showing up as $1.99 for me (thus my weird comment about buying it when it goes to .99 cents right after him saying it was .99 cents lol).

A question for fellow Ipod/Iphone players out there: Is there anything remotely close to the awesome Sega Saturn classic, Dragon Force, on the Ipod/Iphone? (its a shame they couldn't make a remake of this)

[quote name='Rollobobo']A question for fellow Ipod/Iphone players out there: Is there anything remotely close to the awesome Sega Saturn classic, Dragon Force, on the Ipod/Iphone? (its a shame they couldn't make a remake of this)[/QUOTE]

looked up the game as I had no idea what it was. Game looks like a clusterfuck of sprites lol. I'd also be interested if there was a game like this. Might be fun ;)

[quote name='Darknuke']People review games for a reason... I have no idea why you think that it's a bad thing to use REAL stats in an argument vs. opinionated bull shit? Oh and way to avoid EVERY OTHER LOGICAL ARGUMENT I made. Bravo. You clearly know what you are talking about.

Also, I just noticed the guy who said Paladog was .99 must be mistaken or something. It's showing up as $1.99 for me (thus my weird comment about buying it when it goes to .99 cents right after him saying it was .99 cents lol).[/QUOTE]

REAL stats? By who, by one of the companies with the worst reputation when it comes to reviews? Also, don't you see the irony in the fact that you are using a review, which is an opinion of a person, just as it is mine?

Did you stop to think that for a second. I'm avoiding every one of your logical arguments, because with your logic, I see no point in debating with you. Go ahead, keep thinking that IGN reviews can be used as facts to back up poor arguments. And keep enjoy Gameloft games, after all, that's your problem not mine.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']REAL stats? By who, by one of the companies with the worst reputation when it comes to reviews? Also, don't you see the irony in the fact that you are using a review, which is an opinion of a person, just as it is mine?

Did you stop to think that for a second. I'm avoiding every one of your logical arguments, because with your logic, I see no point in debating with you. Go ahead, keep thinking that IGN reviews can be used as facts to back up poor arguments. And keep enjoy Gameloft games, after all, that's your problem not mine.[/QUOTE]

Wow. You don't think there's a difference between a critic and a random person? They follow strict criteria and rules for grading games. It's not completely random biased bs that they throw out. Yeah, IGN doesn't have the greatest of reputations for reviews, but that comes with the territory when you're the biggest gaming review company on the internet. People are bound to disagree with you. I use them because they are also one of the few that reviews every single *good* iPhone game AND aren't some random blog some dude created or a tiny company trying to be critics.

To think you have the same clout as an IGN reviewer and that your words weigh as heavily as theirs is extremely arrogant of you(I definitely don't think that about myself.). I will take Hilary Goldsteins opinion on a game over anyone in this entire website, any day. When it's your sole job to review games, you kind of get good at it. Makes sense right?

I think the real issue here is you have no idea how to argue the rest of my comments, so you are just picking out one and trying your hardest to make it seem like I'm the idiot. Nice try bud.

And the debate continues ... honestly though ...

These games are on sale for a DOLLAR ... and there are 3 pages of debate back and forth, with Fortesque coming close to the verge of trolling because he despises Gameloft.

But let's be real, for a dollar ... you can do much much worse on the App store than any Gameloft title. Their offerings may not be original or the best of the bunch, but they do have a guaranteed level of quality that is not offered by many competing Apps in the dollar price range.

So really ... your arguments are invalid in relation to the current sale prices and even if you are correct when speaking of full priced Gameloft titles ... you are still wasting your breath. Sorry .. but people will buy what they like. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If the company goes under, then I guess it proves you mattered. And if not .. well ;)

[quote name='mrsamsa']You can vote on the 14th 99c gameloft game: http://www.facebook.com/gameloft?v=app_180749401962795&ref=ts

Currently NOVA2 is winning. I'm hoping for Dungeon Hunter 2, personally.[/QUOTE]

Damn, was really hoping the HD versions would be included. NOW THERE is something I can fault Gameloft for ... what the hell is up with the lack of Universal Apps Gameloft? Why do I have to buy an HD version or iPhone version. Other developers can give you both for one price, but not Gameloft ... bastards ;)

[quote name='etcrane']And the debate continues ... honestly though ...

These games are on sale for a DOLLAR ... and there are 3 pages of debate back and forth, with Fortesque coming close to the verge of trolling because he despises Gameloft.

But let's be real, for a dollar ... you can do much much worse on the App store than any Gameloft title. Their offerings may not be original or the best of the bunch, but they do have a guaranteed level of quality that is not offered by many competing Apps in the dollar price range.

So really ... your arguments are invalid in relation to the current sale prices and even if you are correct when speaking of full priced Gameloft titles ... you are still wasting your breath. Sorry .. but people will buy what they like. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If the company goes under, then I guess it proves you mattered. And if not .. well ;)[/QUOTE]

I'd argue that these games are not even worth a buck. And they take insane amounts of space on your device.

Grabbed Shadow Guardian at 99 cents...been waiting on it. Now just have NOVA 2 left...which I voted for the 99 cent sale on it. :)

Still holding out for Dead Space...pretty much any drop in price on it will get me lol.

Seriously, please stay on topic. A little drift here and there is cool but the past few days have seen an onslaught of derailing questions and commentary. I believe there is another thread for general iOS discussion, or you could really PM this argument.

I voted Nova 2 even though I would prefer Dungeon Hunter 2, it didn't look like it had much of a chance to win and I didn't want Modern Combat 2 catching up to Nova 2. I already have it.

[quote name='crunchewy']Hey, I just remembered... Ignore.

I'm going to check out Paladog lite version.[/QUOTE]

omg I always forget about that feature... too bad it's pretty much too late now.

[quote name='jason506']I voted Nova 2 even though I would prefer Dungeon Hunter 2, it didn't look like it had much of a chance to win and I didn't want Modern Combat 2 catching up to Nova 2. I already have it.[/QUOTE]

I want Dungeon Hunter 2 to win as well, but would be happy with NOVA 2 or MC2 since I have neither. I only have NOVA 1.

I updated to 4.2.1 in my iPhone 4 and noticed that all of my achievements and friends were gone. Does this happen every time there is an update? I thought this was stored on the cloud.

A Reiner Knizia game gets in on the .99 sale frenzy with a price drop for Teocalli (http://itunes.apple.com/app/reiner-knizias-teocalli/id415524792?mt=8).
"Teocalli is a solo strategy game in which the player attempts to quickly and efficiently build temples utilizing dice rolls. The player will roll special dice depicting colored symbols that match those on the temple layouts. Matching rolled dice with those in a temple layout will allow players to build temples and earn rewards in points, wild card dice, and additional turns. Maximize your score by pushing your luck while mitigating bad rolls with clever play and strategic decision-making. And due to the shifting nature of die rolls, Teocalli is a different game every time! Compete with friends for the high score, or challenge yourself to establish an all time best!"

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja also takes the .99 plunge (http://itunes.apple.com/app/shinobi-iii-return-ninja-master/id415942619?mt=8).
"Joe Musashi’s sworn enemies, the Neo Zeed, have returned! Controlled by Shadow Master, a formidable ninja cloned from Joe’s own bloodline, the syndicate holds the city captive with its vicious crime ring. Utilize deadly weapons and lethal ninja arts in order to stand against the hordes of bio-ninja and save your city!"

If you're tapped out from the recent glut of under-a-buck specials, here are a few freebies:
Legend of Pirates Pro (http://itunes.apple.com/app/legend-of-pirates-pro/id412587622?mt=8)
"The merciless sea is very dangerous, but pirates have always been sailing far across the vast sea and persistently making legendary adventures!
Legend of Pirates is a strategic action game for iPhone/IPod touch/Ipad. This game is fun and easy to play. Slide your fingers across the screen and use special skills of each ship to overcome obstacles attacking pirate ships and try to sail farther.
You can play the captain of a pirate ship, lead your brave sailors and choose your favorite ship to challenge all the obstacles in your voyage with your wisdom and strength. Terrific visual effects, unique monsters, exciting and new voyages, smooth play and uplifting battle music are sure to bring you the best game experience.
Your highest score for the game will be submitted to the High Scores Table. Now prove yourself with your wisdom and strength."

Toyshop Adventures (http://itunes.apple.com/app/toyshop-adventures/id388469326?mt=8)
"Our shopkeeper has lost his marbles (quite literally!) and it's up to you to help him find his special marbles and restore balance to this once peaceful toy store! Guide one of the shopkeeper's favorite toys through a variety of playful, platform puzzles. Collect all of the lost marbles, avoid the electrically-charged Nanobots, and discover secret areas hidden deep within the stacks of toys and games. Use your trusty lasso to grab and move certain objects to help reach your goal. Check in with other toys you meet on your adventures for help and power-ups! Open up the Toyshop today and uncover a miniature world of platform hopping playthings!"

Racer (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/racer/id323083761?mt=8)
"Racer is a simple, fun and addictive racing game where you drive your car with a finger through the extreme highway traffic. If you always wanted to test your reaction skills and have a good fun on the road but had enough sense not to try it in real life, Racer is your choice. "

Tiki Totems Premium (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tiki-totems-premium/id360807592?mt=8)
"An exciting new physics puzzle block destroying game. Appease the Tiki Gods by carefully removing the unnecesarry blocks that dim the might and glory of their beautifull totems. BUT BE CAREFUL!! don't drop the totem on the ground cause that makes them angry, and when they get angry you know what happens. Villages and villagers burn."

[quote name='Dimsdale']

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja also takes the .99 plunge (http://itunes.apple.com/app/shinobi-iii-return-ninja-master/id415942619?mt=8).
"Joe Musashi’s sworn enemies, the Neo Zeed, have returned! Controlled by Shadow Master, a formidable ninja cloned from Joe’s own bloodline, the syndicate holds the city captive with its vicious crime ring. Utilize deadly weapons and lethal ninja arts in order to stand against the hordes of bio-ninja and save your city!"[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think I'm getting Shinobi tonight, looks like most of the Sega games are on sale for a buck as well (Sonic games are not).

EDIT: Sonic Spinball is $.99
http://appshopper.com/games/sonic-spinball

I played the free version of Hero of Sparta II and wasn't very impressed. The controls seem very loose and forgiving. It looked nice, but it wasn't much fun. I don't really understand all the rave reviews, unless the full game is a lot better.

Shadow Guardian, however, was a lot of fun.

EDIT: ^Having not played the Uncharted games before, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back