iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='mcdaking84']nba jam is amazing but it crashes way too much on campaign mode[/QUOTE]Haven't had a single crash on my iPt3 in career. Big fan of the fame so far.

About Galaga Remix:

[quote name='Kendro']It was $4.99 when I went to buy it last night at 11:00 PM Eastern. I too am a little disappointed it wasn't a 24 hour sale. At least run it until midnight. :cry:[/QUOTE]

It's 99 cents now.

It's probably worth that. I've played a few games of it so far. Normal difficulty is too easy, but there is a Hard. I disagree with the IGN review in that I find the arrow controls broken (at least on the iPad), but I think the slider controls work well, so long as you don't mind resting your iDevice on a surface, like a lap or a leg.

The game itself comes with Galaga Remix and the original. The Remix is good, but not as good as Galaga '90. It feels like it's just missing that extra 10% development time to make it really good. Some of the ideas are great (like having different bugs give you different shot powers when they capture your ship) but aren't as developed or polished as they should be.

[quote name='Brian234']Centipede Ultra is very well done. Good controls, fun gameplay, good graphics. There are a lot of new enemies which keeps the game fresh. Difficulty ramps up at a good pace.

It does not contain the classic Centipede arcade version, but I never felt that I was missing out. This is exactly what I would want from a Centipede game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Brian234']Missile Command Ultra is also very well done. Controls are perfect (you tap where you want, and it automatically fires from the nearest silo). Graphics are good, and difficulty ramps up well.

It does not contain the arcade version. It seems to lack ever so slight polish compared to Centipede Ultra, but otherwise is a perfect mobile Missile Command.

The "more games" button hints that Super Breakout Ultra is coming soon (it's not in the store now).[/QUOTE]

I got both and there fun, looking forward to Super Breakout Ultra now thanks.

Also thanks to everyone for talking me in to getting Dungeon Raid having a lot of fun with this one too.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Haven't had a single crash on my iPt3 in career. Big fan of the fame so far.[/QUOTE]

thats weird. I have only finished one game due to crashing. On a ipod touch 4th gen with 40 gb free

[quote name='Stimes']Also thanks to everyone for talking me in to getting Dungeon Raid having a lot of fun with this one too.[/QUOTE]

Gotta recommended this game too. Very addicting! Great matching game with rpg elements.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Haven't had a single crash on my iPt3 in career. Big fan of the fame so far.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had any crashes (of NBA Jam) on my iPhone 4, although I did run into a bug once where I made a basket and then the computer never put the ball back into play. They just stood there. I had to quit out of it via the task bar and relaunch it and then it continued.

The game is awesome, but I do hope they add multiplayer in some form.

[quote name='crunchewy']I haven't had any crashes (of NBA Jam) on my iPhone 4, although I did run into a bug once where I made a basket and then the computer never put the ball back into play. They just stood there. I had to quit out of it via the task bar and relaunch it and then it continued.

The game is awesome, but I do hope they add multiplayer in some form.[/QUOTE]No, really not glitches or crashes at all. I'm about halfway through a rookie career (should have gone with a harder difficulty from the start, but it affords me the opportunity to knock out achievements to unlock modes/characters/balls easily) and the game has run without a single hiccup. Tough luck for those that are having crashes, though.

Also I did get Dungeon Raid for 99c. It's fun, but I can also see getting burnt out on it before long. Definitely worth the sale price, though.

[quote name='dallow']I think Dead Space dropped in other countries (if I read correctly). Sale soon perhaps for the US store hopefully.[/QUOTE]
Ahhhh please! Lol...any idea as to how much? 99 cents or what? NOVA 2 looks is up by like 900-1000 votes on Gamelofts FB so it will be 99 cents tomorrow for sure :)

I've started having some success with SFIV. I'm able to win a "normal" difficulty tournament easily. So I went up to "grueling" and got my ass handed to me in the first match. Twice. In any case this game has grown on me a lot now that I have some idea of how to play it. :)

If Dead Space drops I'll be in for one for sure.

AngerOfStick is the new FAAD featured game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/angerofstick/id333250248?mt=8).
"The hero runs towards enemy's base carrying AK-47, machine gun, 90mm no-rebound gun, an iron hammer, and long sword to revenge.
Eliminate different types of enemies.
There are easy, medium, and hard mode and you can adjust the screen size to help to kill enemies. Good Luck."

Count Entyne Counting Adventure
is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/count-entyne-counting-adventure/id330869555?mt=8).
"Count Entyne Counting Adventure contains many activities to help learn numbers and counting. Match the number with the card that has that number of things on it to clear the board. The numbers are all made from petals of real roses and the objects all have a Valentine/love theme. Number pronunciation occurs when a match is made. This is a great game for your younger children."

Bliss HD+ is being showcased on Great App a Day right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bliss-hd/id307183305?mt=8).
"“This is one concept I hope everyone steals.” - Levi Buchanan, IGN.com
Play Well, Do Good! Relax and unwind with Zen-inspired levels and turn your score into donations towards Breast Cancer Awareness."

got my VZW iPhone 4 earlyyyyy Thursday morning. Had to go from a 32gb iTouch to a 16gb phone, so consolidation was key.

Only games I have on there now are Hero of Sparta 2, NFS Hot Pursuit, Shadow Guardian, Game Dev Story, Monopoly, Infinity Blade, Scrabble, and Mirror's Edge.

The first 4 I'd never played before and couldn't resist buying at $0.99 before I got my iPhone.

Looking forward to their Retina display appearance, and to see how addictive this Game Dev Story is

[quote name='jcp42877']got my VZW iPhone 4 earlyyyyy Thursday morning. Had to go from a 32gb iTouch to a 16gb phone, so consolidation was key.

Only games I have on there now are Hero of Sparta 2, NFS Hot Pursuit, Shadow Guardian, Game Dev Story, Monopoly, Infinity Blade, Scrabble, and Mirror's Edge.

The first 4 I'd never played before and couldn't resist buying at $0.99 before I got my iPhone.

Looking forward to their Retina display appearance, and to see how addictive this Game Dev Story is[/QUOTE]
Yeah I got to order mine on the 3rd and got it Monday on the 7th...had a 32gb touch 3rd gen, so I got a 32gb phone. I never thought the retina screen would be that much better but I have to say its pretty damn amazing. I just wish that all apps would update for it...you can even notice the difference in the app icons, its crazy lol.

[quote name='jcp42877']got my VZW iPhone 4 earlyyyyy Thursday morning. Had to go from a 32gb iTouch to a 16gb phone, so consolidation was key.

Looking forward to their Retina display appearance, and to see how addictive this Game Dev Story is[/QUOTE]

I hate you. They're not allowing Verizon employees to get iPhones yet :( I miss my iPhone.

Game Dev Story is so damn addictive. Prepare to lose days of your life.

I've got to chime in on Dungeon Raid as well. Easily the best "match 3" style game I've ever played. The different items to match add a wonderful level of strategy to an otherwise boring genre. I'm having a ton of fun with it.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']I've got to chime in on Dungeon Raid as well. Easily the best "match 3" style game I've ever played. The different items to match add a wonderful level of strategy to an otherwise boring genre. I'm having a ton of fun with it.[/QUOTE]

I think DR is fun, but I wouldn't call it my favorite match 3. I still find Puzzle Quest far more engaging than DR. With that being said, I think DR is much more hardcore than PQ seeing as if you lose you have to start all over. I think that's what keeps me playing it lol

[quote name='Dimsdale']
Bliss HD+ is being showcased on Great App a Day right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bliss-hd/id307183305?mt=8).
"“This is one concept I hope everyone steals.” - Levi Buchanan, IGN.com
Play Well, Do Good! Relax and unwind with Zen-inspired levels and turn your score into donations towards Breast Cancer Awareness."[/QUOTE]

This one is not free anymore, must have been one of those short free sales.

[quote name='Owen']This one is not free anymore, must have been one of those short free sales.[/QUOTE]
Sorry you missed out on Bliss. Here's a different puzzler that's dropped to FREE for the first time:
Tale of the Zodiac (http://itunes.apple.com/app/tale-of-the-zodiac/id377188306?mt=8#)
"4.5/5 stars rating by AppSafari.
"What makes Tale of the Zodiac great is that it incorporates a little bit of everything: adventure, color matching, shooting, shopping, and collecting." says AppSafari."

UFO Holic is a new release that's also currently available for FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ufo-holic/id414170254?mt=8).
"UFO Holic is a game in which you are an alien, invading the Green Planet.
Put fear and chaos in the hearts of the [Mogs] living happily on Green Planet.
Fly countless UFOs over their cities and abduct them.
Create worm holes in midair, and toss the Mogs inside.
Your faithful UFOs will bring them to the mothership.
They will scream, fall in mayhem and resist, but you don't care.
You are the great alien invading the Green Planet.
Abduct all [Mogs] on the Green Planet and conquer the world!"

Those NOVA 2 controls are going to take some getting used to.... It took me over a minute to kill one tough dude.

Thank You for all the work everyones doing in this thread. Your posting of free games, sales, recommendations and reviews have helped me put together a nice library for my son over the past few months. He's been saving up for his own iPod touch for a year and it was just delivered today.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']Thank You for all the work everyones doing in this thread. Your posting of free games, sales, recommendations and reviews have helped me put together a nice library for my son over the past few months. He's been saving up for his own iPod touch for a year and it was just delivered today.[/QUOTE]

I second this - I just got my iPhone in last tuesday (Verizon switch) and this is easily the most informative and friendly threads on CAG. Thanks guys!

I can't decide if Dungeon Raid is addictive and fun or addictive and a chore. I'm leaning toward the latter, but still playing it, so maybe that means it's the former? I guess I'll figure it out after a while. In the mean time I'll punch Zangief a bit.

I'm definitely considering Catan HD while on sale, for a future iPad, but it's hard to pull the trigger on iPad-only games when you don't actually have an iPad, even if you are pretty determined to buy one this year. 99 cent sale games (World of Goo) are easy. $2.99 sale games make me pause.

[quote name='DaMonStEr']Can you run the ipod version of Nova 2 on ipad?[/QUOTE]

Yes. You can run iPod Touch and iPhone apps on the iPad. If they're not universal, you have the option of running them at original resolution on the iPad which shows in the center of the screen or you can do a 2x zoom, which blows up the image and pixelates it a bit. Some apps look worse than others when you zoom in. I haven't personally seen what NOVA 2 looks like. I'm sure someone here will be around to give a heads up on it.

A lot of reviews were centered around a login problem from the first release. It's been updated a few times since then so I haven't noticed any additional issues.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Just gotta be the lone voice of dissent, Dungeon Raid bored me after about 15 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I bought it because it's on sale and I still have credit from Christmas. I played 3 games, and haven't played since. I'm sure I'll play it a bit more, but I just don't see this being a game that I play for more than a few weeks.

Puzzle Quest on the other hand I played hours on end, on multiple platforms, and still boot up from time to time.

Catan dropped to $2.99. I bought that today (again, credit burning a hole in my pocket). It's a nice version of Settlers of Catan if anyone is familiar with it. It's one of my favorite board games, so I figured why not, I don't believe it's been cheaper than $2.99 anyway. I just hope that one day they update to include wifi multiplayer.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']
Catan dropped to $2.99. I bought that today (again, credit burning a hole in my pocket). It's a nice version of Settlers of Catan if anyone is familiar with it. It's one of my favorite board games, so I figured why not, I don't believe it's been cheaper than $2.99 anyway. I just hope that one day they update to include wifi multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

them adding multi would be really nice.

And speaking of USM, Keltis is on sale today (regular Keltis and not the offshoot Keltis Oracle) for a buck. Fun game but no multi and the campaign and challenge modes are IAP but the it's a lot of fun. Glad all of the bugs have been patched out.

It's free (OneNote), so just try it? I just downloaded it and tried it. It's OK. Fair. I can make notes and they show up on one note web interface, but in the App I can't seem to create notebooks, nor set the properties of a note or anything like that. All you can do is make a note in an existing notebook and view what's in them (and edit them.) Plus the interface is a tad strange, as Microsoft is wont to do. Maybe I'll find it useful at some point. I don't know.

nova looks cool but it's gyro controls are awkward as hell. there should be an easier way to turn around. will try the other control option

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back