iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

I hate to go off topic, but I wanted to give fellow CAGs a warning. Last night I received a receipt from iTunes saying I bought a bunch of apps. I was shocked to see the total cost being about half of what I had in iTunes credit. I went to check my account on iTunes and saw that pretty much all the credit I had in there was gone.

Before anyone goes on to say, oh you probably were dumb and had an easy to guess password or lured in by some keylogger, I'm generally careful with my information and know to avoid shady emails and sites.

Anyway, I looked this up and saw a lot of people had the same issue as me. This is my warning: if you're going to buy iTunes credit, try not to have a lot on your account. While Apple will supposedly refund the amount, they will only do it once. Be careful.

Sorry for going off topic.

Starfront: Collision is available for all you Starcraft nuts. It uses Gameloft's new freemium setup where you download the free(only) version and in-app purchase the full game for $7

Yes I know its not a sale but I'm sure many are anxious to play this

[quote name='jacknicklson']Starfront: Collision is available for all you Starcraft nuts. It uses Gameloft's new freemium setup where you download the free(only) version and in-app purchase the full game for $7

Yes I know its not a sale but I'm sure many are anxious to play this[/QUOTE]

Does it do multiplayer?

[quote name='Hirou']I hate to go off topic, but I wanted to give fellow CAGs a warning. Last night I received a receipt from iTunes saying I bought a bunch of apps. I was shocked to see the total cost being about half of what I had in iTunes credit. I went to check my account on iTunes and saw that pretty much all the credit I had in there was gone.

Before anyone goes on to say, oh you probably were dumb and had an easy to guess password or lured in by some keylogger, I'm generally careful with my information and know to avoid shady emails and sites.

Anyway, I looked this up and saw a lot of people had the same issue as me. This is my warning: if you're going to buy iTunes credit, try not to have a lot on your account. While Apple will supposedly refund the amount, they will only do it once. Be careful.

Sorry for going off topic.[/QUOTE]

So what happened? Why would itunes credit magically disappear?

[quote name='dubbfoolio']Inability to manage game save data is by far the weakest aspect of gaming on the apple devices. fuck tactile buttons, I want to be able to backup and restore game saves.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I would like to remove some of the bigger apps I have on my iPhone because they take up so much space, but I don't want to lose the save data for them.

I know this is a little off topic but would someone mind suggesting a few good game / movie / technology apps made for iPad? Joystiq had one but I hate installing iPhone or iPod touch apps on my iPad. Thanks!

[quote name='Hirou']I hate to go off topic, but I wanted to give fellow CAGs a warning. Last night I received a receipt from iTunes saying I bought a bunch of apps. I was shocked to see the total cost being about half of what I had in iTunes credit. I went to check my account on iTunes and saw that pretty much all the credit I had in there was gone.

Sorry for going off topic.[/QUOTE]

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! I am a huge security nut when it comes to keeping my computer safe. I honestly have no idea how a hacker got my password. I suspect it's an app I ran on my phone. They went and spent $30 of my remaining $31 I had in gift card money.

The hacker went and spent the money on this game. I never downloaded that game, but I suspect that company is who is to blame for the hacks. The review there is one that I made ;).

iTunes did refund me my gift card money and I changed my password. If it happens again, it is definitely an app. I ran every security program I had at full scan and it came up with a few cookies and stuff. Nothing serious. But I cleaned it out anyway. Guess I'll be clearing my iPhone if it does happen again =/.

I've played Reiner Knizia's Yoku-Gami a bit and so far I like it. I didn't think I was going to like it from the description, but it proves to be fun. Just stay away from the "Endless" mode, because I understand it really is endless. There's two other much more interesting modes. Arcade and Levels. So far I like the Arcade mode best. This doesn't have a timer as that name might imply, rather it borrows a bit from Tetris (to go along with the Bejeweled aspect) in that you try to clear lines (and columns), upon doing so, blocks fall in to replace them. It's a math-based game. Well, addition. You drag over connected blocks such that the lower numbered blocks add up to the highest numbered block. In Arcade mode you play until you have no more moves. Anyway, for 99 cents you can definitely do a lot worse.

$7 credit for Amex customers

https://enroll.amexnetwork.com/US/iTunes2011/

You can basically download 1 song with your AMEX and you will get credit back for the 5 songs so its basically a few bucks free or a few apps :)

NOTE: If you have credit, just gift yourself a song so it uses your credit card just make sure you actually use your AMEX you enroll with

EDIT: I just changed my password due to the heads up and they now require a capital letter. How long has it been like that? Maybe Apple realized something fishy is going on

[quote name='crunchewy']I've played Reiner Knizia's Yoku-Gami a bit and so far I like it. I didn't think I was going to like it from the description, but it proves to be fun. Just stay away from the "Endless" mode, because I understand it really is endless. There's two other much more interesting modes. Arcade and Levels. So far I like the Arcade mode best. This doesn't have a timer as that name might imply, rather it borrows a bit from Tetris (to go along with the Bejeweled aspect) in that you try to clear lines (and columns), upon doing so, blocks fall in to replace them. It's a math-based game. Well, addition. You drag over connected blocks such that the lower numbered blocks add up to the highest numbered block. In Arcade mode you play until you have no more moves. Anyway, for 99 cents you can definitely do a lot worse.[/QUOTE]
I played a quick Arcade game during lunch. I really liked it. Very easy to pick up and play but still has definite strategies involved. I may even let my kids play with it as a variation to their math homework mix. They love Addicus but the timed aspect sort of freaks them out. I also like Yoku's soothing BG music that really encourages you to study the numbers a bit. Definitely a keeper for under a buck.

[quote name='GamerChris']So what happened? Why would itunes credit magically disappear?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing my account got hacked. I have no idea though. And it didn't just disappear, the hacker used my iTunes credit (a little less than $80) and bought a ton of apps. I actually just got the second receipt.

Darknuke: Sorry to hear that. I kinda wish that Apple would have screened the purchases and raised a flag of some sort by looking at previous purchases. For instance, the hacker bought a ton of Chinese apps (apps written in chinese characters) and it didn't come off as suspicious. And plus, why would I want to spend all of my credit in one go?

Again, just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

[quote name='Dimsdale']I played a quick Arcade game during lunch. I really liked it. Very easy to pick up and play but still has definite strategies involved. I may even let my kids play with it as a variation to their math homework mix. They love Addicus but the timed aspect sort of freaks them out. I also like Yoku's soothing BG music that really encourages you to study the numbers a bit. Definitely a keeper for under a buck.[/QUOTE]

One other thing that's not so obvious about Yoku-Gami - you don't need to make a continuous line. Well, what I mean is that you can double-back. So you can connect a plus shaped set of blocks, for example.

Also, good news for League of Evil. The dev posted at toucharcade:

A fix is currently being working on, data is still there the new update just doesn't know how to "find it". We will be restoring previous level times in the next update. You can safely update and play the new levels.

Also they said that the next update would first check to see if you had a newer, better score/result, before wiping it out with your previous time. Yeah!

Sad Princess is on sale again for $0.99 (limited 50% off). The game is pretty nice, side-scrolling, and has retina support (did I forget to say that the graphics are great, it's funny when the princess cries, haha):

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sad-princess/id399550680?mt=8

Although this game contains In App Purchases, you can enjoy full game without any IAP: all of them are optional or shortcut.

Sad Princess is a fast pace action game with stylish graphics, smooth animation and cinematic scene.

This is a tale of girl meets boy. Actually, it’s a tale of princess meets prince, prince gets kidnapped, and princess goes out on an action-packed quest for revenge, peace, and love. This ain’t your grandma’s fairytale…

The developer also released an iPad version today, that one isn't on sale, tho.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sad-princess-hd/id410781359?mt=8

It took me awhile to finally play 100 Rogues but hot damn is it good. I wish all the little minor glitches and bugs would be fixed but it's so fun.

[quote name='DtotheP']Same thing happened to me with save toshi dx. It's slipped right under the radar here but I dare say it's almost cut the rope good.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the recommendation. Really solid title. Although the first time it said "Toshi died" I was like WTF:shock:

[quote name='jacknicklson']Starfront: Collision is available for all you Starcraft nuts. It uses Gameloft's new freemium setup where you download the free(only) version and in-app purchase the full game for $7

Yes I know its not a sale but I'm sure many are anxious to play this[/QUOTE]

Wish this was fullscreen for iPad.... Any other games like this for iPad?

[quote name='Hostile']It took me awhile to finally play 100 Rogues but hot damn is it good. I wish all the little minor glitches and bugs would be fixed but it's so fun.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy it while it lasts. Odds are it isn't going to get any better then it is now. In fact it's likely it will get worse. Every update seems to fix a few things and add some new ones, some worse. My favorite is how now every time I stop at the shop at the first boss, after tapping an item or two I end up with a screen that is all black with a 1/3 screen white rounded rectangle shifted slightly off the screen to the left, and the background flashes like crazy. Plus I must be a wuss, because I've never made it out of the Dungeon levels, not even close. I'm tired of it. I had a lot more fun with Sword of Fargoal myself, and that game is pretty solid. The devs of 100 Rogues are seemingly incapable of producing a bug free game.

Here's a still image of the problem noted above, but this image looks 100x better because it isn't flashing and risking an epileptic seizure:

100 Rogues has been a crappily polished glitchfest since day one, and it's kinda boring after having beaten it once.

Still, at least it was an entertaining ride. More than I could say for Fargoal.

[quote name='crunchewy']One other thing that's not so obvious about Yoku-Gami - you don't need to make a continuous line. Well, what I mean is that you can double-back. So you can connect a plus shaped set of blocks, for example.[/QUOTE]
Hey, thanks much for that bit of wisdom. I've played several more Arcade games and that really came in handy. Fun game.

In other news, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash is the new FAAD featured freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inspector-gadgets-mad-dash/id394443088?mt=8).
"In Inspector Gadget’s MAD Dash, you play the bionic hero as he swings from cranes; jumps speeding trains; and much, much, more as he avoids a variety of menacing hazards. Do your best to capture the elusive Claw and free Penny."

Doodle Arcade Shooter is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/doodle-arcade-shooter/id412350647?mt=8).
"Doodle Arcade Shooter is a Classic Shoot Em Up arcade action game with action packed gameplay and awesome sketch graphics. Discover this fast paced shoot em up action game with hours, even days of fun.
Earn XP to enhance your plane by adding extra firepower, more armor, extra speed or extended bonusses. Collecting achievements will keep you challenged to unlock extra planes."

Moxie and Moxie HD are also FREE right now if you're in the mood for a word game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/moxie/id305785127?mt=8).
"Moxie is all about transforming words into new words. You start with a hand of 52 letters that you go through "Solitaire" style. Place each letter on the board or "Pass". If you "Pass" you can't go back to that letter.
You score points by:
1. Making unique words with the letters
2. Transforming your words into other words by adding and replacing letters. For example: "TIN" becomes "TINE" which becomes "TILE" which becomes "TILED" and so on.
3. Spelling special "Moxie words" for bonus points"

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dimsdale']Hey, thanks much for that bit of wisdom. I've played several more Arcade games and that really came in handy. Fun game.

In other news, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash is the new FAAD featured freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inspector-gadgets-mad-dash/id394443088?mt=8).
"In Inspector Gadget’s MAD Dash, you play the bionic hero as he swings from cranes; jumps speeding trains; and much, much, more as he avoids a variety of menacing hazards. Do your best to capture the elusive Claw and free Penny."

Doodle Arcade Shooter is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/doodle-arcade-shooter/id412350647?mt=8).
"Doodle Arcade Shooter is a Classic Shoot Em Up arcade action game with action packed gameplay and awesome sketch graphics. Discover this fast paced shoot em up action game with hours, even days of fun.
Earn XP to enhance your plane by adding extra firepower, more armor, extra speed or extended bonusses. Collecting achievements will keep you challenged to unlock extra planes."

Moxie and Moxie HD are also FREE right now if you're in the mood for a word game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/moxie/id305785127?mt=8).
"Moxie is all about transforming words into new words. You start with a hand of 52 letters that you go through "Solitaire" style. Place each letter on the board or "Pass". If you "Pass" you can't go back to that letter.
You score points by:
1. Making unique words with the letters
2. Transforming your words into other words by adding and replacing letters. For example: "TIN" becomes "TINE" which becomes "TILE" which becomes "TILED" and so on.
3. Spelling special "Moxie words" for bonus points"[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend Inspector Gadget. I bought it full price (sadly) a few weeks ago and love it. By far the most engaging parkour/Canabalt type game I've played in a while. It's EXTREMELY difficult, which you wouldn't think of a children's TV show game. And man, does that intro song bring back memories...

For all you retro platform players, Lars is still on sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/lars/id398351026?mt=8).
"Lars: Super Action Danger Lizard is a 2D retro platformer featuring hand-drawn pixel artwork, faithful old-school controls,classic retro soundtracks, and over 60 huge levels of jumping scrolling action.
Follow Agent Lars from the perilous beaches of "Tutorial Bay" through the dense and dangerous "Jungles of Incredible Peril" on your quest to save the world from the clutches of sinister forces. Only Lars can confront the mad organization of doom lurking in the ancient island ruins, learn their terrible and destructive secrets, and ultimately foil whatever evil plan they have scheduled for this week."

Sad Princess now has a Free demo.

Reiner Knizia's Ra got updated. It's a shame these lunkheads who can't design a UI to save their lives got their mitts on Ra. If the guy who did Samurai was able to do Ra, we'd have a damn fine game on our hands.

Inspector Gadget feels like a Flash game compared to Hook Worlds or Run Like Hell.

[quote name='Darknuke']I highly recommend Inspector Gadget. I bought it full price (sadly) a few weeks ago and love it. By far the most engaging parkour/Canabalt type game I've played in a while. It's EXTREMELY difficult, which you wouldn't think of a children's TV show game. And man, does that intro song bring back memories...[/QUOTE]

I like this game a lot too and I don't feel bad for spending my dollar on it but I just want to know is there a level 2 or does it just keep going? Go Gadget Go!

For the new iPad and/or iPhone users do yourself a favor and pickup Atomic Web Browser for $.99, it's not a sale so if you don't have your device yet it can wait. It was posted on here a while ago but I thought I'd bring it up again because of a lot of new people posting as of late. In short it gives you tabs for web browsing and allows you to view most websites that you normally couldn't with safari but there is a lot more. I use this app every day highly recommend it.

http://appshopper.com/productivity/atomic-web-browser

Thanks for the recommendation on Inspector Gadget. Fun game! I love these kinds of endless runner games, and this is one of the best I've played.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Thanks for the recommendation on Inspector Gadget. Fun game! I love these kinds of endless runner games, and this is one of the best I've played.[/QUOTE]

It seems nifty enough but apparently the retina upgrade totally breaks it. I've done 2 different installations and both times it broke the same way. I haven't even gotten to play it.

[quote name='bajingo']re: Atomic web browser
i bought it off cag recommendations, i can vouch for its awesomeness for $1[/quote]

+1

[quote name='jacknicklson']$7 credit for Amex customers

https://enroll.amexnetwork.com/US/iTunes2011/

You can basically download 1 song with your AMEX and you will get credit back for the 5 songs so its basically a few bucks free or a few apps :)

NOTE: If you have credit, just gift yourself a song so it uses your credit card just make sure you actually use your AMEX you enroll with

EDIT: I just changed my password due to the heads up and they now require a capital letter. How long has it been like that? Maybe Apple realized something fishy is going on[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this!

I got particle wars because it was free like a few days ago. I finally tried it last night and the touchscreen controls don't work. Seriously I press any menu option and nothing happens. So in other words, game is broken and unplayable so don't bother.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I got particle wars because it was free like a few days ago. I finally tried it last night and the touchscreen controls don't work. Seriously I press any menu option and nothing happens. So in other words, game is broken and unplayable so don't bother.[/QUOTE]

LOL i was just about to say the exact same thing. I dont know how but I got the game to run and its great but I was not getting any sound and after a couple movements either the control went dead or the shooting would just stop.

I'm not sure if anyone has downloaded any of the new Namco releases, but they're absolutely terrible. I'm referring specifically to Ridge Racer HD and Time Crisis 2. They give you one track or one level free, then want you to buy the rest piecemeal. TC2 is $9.

I'm a huge Ridge Racer fan and I could barely play it on the iPad. The accelerator defaults to "auto" meaning that you're always accelerating. The left/right controls actually got stuck for me and the car would only turn to the right. Very disappointing.

Mad Skills Motocross just got an update with an easier level of dfficulty and it's still on sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/mad-skills-motocross/id410229362?mt=8). I love the physics engine on this little gem and I highly recommend it (especially while it's on sale).
"Turning a fan-favorite genre on its head, the hyper-addictive Mad Skills Motocross plays and feels like no other side-scrolling racing game. The unparalleled physics engine and unexpected power-ups give you a level of control that you have to play to believe. Launch off an enormous jump, land on your rear wheel, hit the throttle, and leave your opponent in a spray of dirt—then brag about it on Facebook and Twitter! Mad Skills Motocross is fun for novices but deep enough for nearly endless competitive high-level play. You’ll need to master wheelies, stoppies, nitro, rocket boots, backflips, front flips, and much more to truly be the best."

[quote name='RollingSkull']Reiner Knizia's Ra got updated. It's a shame these lunkheads who can't design a UI to save their lives got their mitts on Ra. If the guy who did Samurai was able to do Ra, we'd have a damn fine game on our hands[/QUOTE]

I've been known to dis you on this :), but really I do agree - the UI in Ra is pretty terrible. And the UI for the online doesn't make it any better. However, it is working now. It definitely needs some improvements, but it does work. FYI, the dev is active in the thread on toucharcade. I posted some suggestions for improvement there.

Back to the Future iPad came out on Tuesday. Surprised no one mentioned it (though I might have missed it.)

Does anyone know if Telltale games marks their games down frequently? It has been killing me to wait on Dead Space, but I know they will drop it to less than $3 in the next 3 months. Don't know if I can wait that long for Back to the Future.

Man this is difficult, on one had I am watching this topic and flagging free and cheap games for when I get my ipad.....on the other hand it makes waiting the next 2 months or so for the Ipad 2 MUCH harder ;( Would help if I was also not stuck waiting 2+ months to order my new PC ;(

Another see-how-far-you-can-go game, Fly Kiwi Fly has dropped to FREE for the first time since last May (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fly-kiwi-fly/id356299340?mt=8).
"Nothing can stand between a Kiwi and his will to fly!
Help Kiwi fly around the world all the way from New Zealand to USA in this fantastic game for all ages!
Tilt your iPhone/iPod Touch to gain speed, use it to make awesome stunts, unlock awards and earn money. Buy gliders, springs and even a cannon to help Kiwi in his voyage across the globe. Get useful upgrades that will increase your chances of reaching the most ambitious goal: embracing the ultimate flying machine!
Fly Kiwi, Fly! will keep you hooked for hours on end trying to be the best air stuntman... or stuntbird!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']Another see-how-far-you-can-go game, Fly Kiwi Fly has dropped to FREE for the first time since last May (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fly-kiwi-fly/id356299340?mt=8).
"Nothing can stand between a Kiwi and his will to fly!
Help Kiwi fly around the world all the way from New Zealand to USA in this fantastic game for all ages!
Tilt your iPhone/iPod Touch to gain speed, use it to make awesome stunts, unlock awards and earn money. Buy gliders, springs and even a cannon to help Kiwi in his voyage across the globe. Get useful upgrades that will increase your chances of reaching the most ambitious goal: embracing the ultimate flying machine!
Fly Kiwi, Fly! will keep you hooked for hours on end trying to be the best air stuntman... or stuntbird!"[/QUOTE]

Highly recommended!

[quote name='eliter1']Looks useful, thanks. Anyone know if there is something like this for games or comics?[/QUOTE]

The app works for games, just tried it out

[quote name='Munny1212']The app works for games, just tried it out[/QUOTE]

oh wow. I wasn't gonna get this seeing as I really don't care about cataloging my movies. However, for games, DEFINITELY. I have a bajillion and could definitely use that feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back