iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='jcp42877']Come onnnnnnnnnnn. Are there no new games out that can feed my handheld desires???

post apocalyptic open world shooter
a horror adventure game
a pokemon esque quality game

and hot damn, have a Dead Space SALE already![/QUOTE]

Amen !

btw who is that in your signature ? (the female)

[quote name='TheRock88']Hot Springs Story just came out for $3.99. In the description it says it's a temporary intro sale so the price will probably go up in a few days. Just posting this cause its made by the same makers of Game Dev Story.

Really contemplating picking it up since I loved Game Dev.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/hot-springs-story/id408854559?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Hell effin yeah! I bit. I LOVED GameDev story, so I went ahead and bought this one. I probably won't have a chance to try it out today though, so don't rely on me for an opinion ;)

[quote name='Brian234']I want to give a shout out to Super World Adventures http://appshopper.com/games/super-world-adventures which is $0.99. There is also a free version http://appshopper.com/games/super-world-adventures-free . It's a fun platforming game starring what looks like a plumber with a red shirt and blue overalls.

This is the regular price. It's also by the same company which makes Gamebox, so there's a chance it will be included in one of those at some point.

So why mention it? Well, if you look at the game and listen to its sounds, it will be mighty familiar. Almost too mighty familiar for a certain big company to not notice. And if they do notice, you won't be able to buy it for $0.99 anymore :)[/QUOTE]
no mustache: no deal. ;)

[quote name='jcp42877']Come onnnnnnnnnnn. Are there no new games out that can feed my handheld desires???

post apocalyptic open world shooter
a horror adventure game
a pokemon esque quality game

and hot damn, have a Dead Space SALE already![/QUOTE]

I hear that! Just started playing dead space 2 and it is really good so far.

[quote name='jcp42877']a pokemon esque quality game[/QUOTE]

That would be awesome. I might break my .99 rule for a game like that.

Speaking of your girl in your sig, did you see the leaked topless twitpic of her from last year?

[quote name='jimbach13']I hear that! Just started playing dead space 2 and it is really good so far.[/QUOTE]

Oh man... Dead Space 2 was amazing. Definitely one of my top 5 for the last year (no, not just since January). I haven't had this good of a survival horror experience in a lonnnggg time.

[quote name='cycophuk']That would be awesome. I might break my .99 rule for a game like that.

Speaking of your girl in your sig, did you see the leaked topless twitpic of her from last year?[/QUOTE]

Looks like MyGamerCard shut down. Your sig was KIA lol

[quote name='Darknuke']Hell effin yeah! I bit. I LOVED GameDev story, so I went ahead and bought this one. I probably won't have a chance to try it out today though, so don't rely on me for an opinion ;)[/QUOTE]

I've been playing Hot Springs Story for a few minutes now. They've changed the UI a bit and it's taking some getting used to. I don't really like how they implemented the way you build things, either. It's taking a bit of trial and error. It just feels counterintuitive, at least to me. You touch and drag the screen around to spots to build a floor, but the screen rolls pretty quickly. So you can also touch where you can to build, which is a bit harder for me, probably because of my dumb fingers.

Other than that, it's pretty similar to Game Dev Story. You build baths, tatami rooms, convenience stores and whatnot to appeal to customers. I haven't gotten in too deep yet, but once I figure it out, I'm sure I'll be hooked just like with GDS.

Another inconvenience is placing the direction the baths are facing. Currently, you can have the room facing either down or to the left, similar to how Zombie Cafe's pre-update where chairs could be only placed in two directions. The other rooms can only be placed facing one direction, as far as I've noticed.

And there's a loading time when you start up the program, too. It wasn't there for GDS, but I guess this game is deeper? It's not dealbreaking, but it is a bit of an annoyance, me being impatient and all. Overall, once you get past the learning curve, I can see this being an addictive game, just like how GDS got after you figured out its quirks too.

It's a fun quirky game, but at 3.99, not sure if I would buy it knowing how it plays for now. I'm sure after I figure it out a bit more, I'll love it, but right now, I'm a little let down. I say, if you really really liked GDS, maybe it's worth a buy. Otherwise, wait for the lite version and see for yourself. They also added a d-pad like controller you can use, I tried playing around with it, but it wasn't for me.

Edit:
Alright, so an hour or so of playing later, I have a few amendments to make. It's a bit slower paced than GDS. You don't make money as quickly, but it's a constant flow from the rooms and facilities. It's taking a little time to figure out what works and what doesn't. I was also wrong about the placement of the facilities and rooms, turns out they can be accessed from other sides, so placement is not as big of an issue.
I'm still trying to figure out the compatibilities and little things, but it is quite fun. I would up this to a probable buy now, I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rhymenoceros']I've been playing Hot Springs Story for a few minutes now. They've changed the UI a bit and it's taking some getting used to. I don't really like how they implemented the way you build things, either. It's taking a bit of trial and error. It just feels counterintuitive, at least to me. You touch and drag the screen around to spots to build a floor, but the screen rolls pretty quickly. So you can also touch where you can to build, which is a bit harder for me, probably because of my dumb fingers.

Other than that, it's pretty similar to Game Dev Story. You build baths, tatami rooms, convenience stores and whatnot to appeal to customers. I haven't gotten in too deep yet, but once I figure it out, I'm sure I'll be hooked just like with GDS.

Another inconvenience is placing the direction the baths are facing. Currently, you can have the room facing either down or to the left, similar to how Zombie Cafe's pre-update where chairs could be only placed in two directions. The other rooms can only be placed facing one direction, as far as I've noticed.

And there's a loading time when you start up the program, too. It wasn't there for GDS, but I guess this game is deeper? It's not dealbreaking, but it is a bit of an annoyance, me being impatient and all. Overall, once you get past the learning curve, I can see this being an addictive game, just like how GDS got after you figured out its quirks too.

It's a fun quirky game, but at 3.99, not sure if I would buy it knowing how it plays for now. I'm sure after I figure it out a bit more, I'll love it, but right now, I'm a little let down. I say, if you really really liked GDS, maybe it's worth a buy. Otherwise, wait for the lite version and see for yourself.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the first impression. :D I just wanted to point out that there is a thread on toucharcade for this game for those who want some more opinions. The general consensus seems to be that it's addicting but different than GDS. Some say it's worth the $3.99 while others say that it takes some getting used to and that so far (for them) it isn't worth the introductory price. Here's a link to thread on toucharcade for those who are interested: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=85807

+1 to Trilobyte Games, they just upgraded me to the iPad version of 7th Guest because the iPhone version would just crash on start up for my iPad.

Slingo Supreme is one of the new FAAD featured games right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slingo-supreme/id385160897?mt=8).
"Slingo is the addictive and fun combination of SLOTS and BINGO!
With Slingo Supreme, we really wanted to pull out all the stops and make the ultimate Slingo game that would be a flagship product for all the Slingo fans. Slingo Supreme is the game that we've always wanted to play on our iPhones, it is the most polished, full-featured Slingo game ever."

The online-only King of Trindor! is another FAAD feature (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/king-of-trindor/id405891677?mt=8).
"This is an age of kings. Will you become one?
Build your country's strength, train your army, and go to battle online with your allies and friends in this MMORPG.
Rise to dominate in this land of swords and sorcery… Trindor awaits!"

Fruit Frenzy is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fruit-frenzy/id416810370?mt=8).
"There's a whole lot of fruit that needs juicing!
In this frantic puzzle game you'll match together fruit as fast as you can to score big points. This game has the magic combination of addictive gameplay, great graphics and toe-tapping music that will keep you coming back for more. The unique row-sliding gameplay makes this game different to any other!"

I'm faced with the dilemma of having a 16 gb Touch with way too much music and apps. So what's the app that was discussed a while back that allows you to stream music from your computer to your iPod? Thanks for the help

[quote name='CONMAN999']I'm faced with the dilemma of having a 16 gb Touch with way too much music and apps. So what's the app that was discussed a while back that allows you to stream music from your computer to your iPod? Thanks for the help[/QUOTE]

Audiogalaxy is the best for just music. Doesn't do video though.

http://audiogalaxy.com

Slingo Supreme is a good game I picked it up for a dollar a few months ago and still play it a lot. I recommend everyone get it while it's free.

[quote name='CONMAN999']I'm faced with the dilemma of having a 16 gb Touch with way too much music and apps. So what's the app that was discussed a while back that allows you to stream music from your computer to your iPod? Thanks for the help[/QUOTE]

Streamtome does music and video.

[quote name='Nealocus123']Anyone know of any good iPad designed tech / video game news apps?[/QUOTE]

I use Flipboard and Pulse. You can add whatever kind of "news" you want to them.

Grabbed Slingo Supreme - thanks for the heads up!

Also, the update for League of Evil that restores your progress in the original levels was released yesterday and works as advertised.

I also have to confess that I'm a tad addicted to the silly game Zombie Farm, but it might get me in trouble some day... must harvest zombies... before they wither... in the middle of a meeting. >8-o

There are several free or cheap apps out there for texting. Does anyone have a favorite one? I've heard that some of them require a cell phone number and other programs randomly generate a number for you to use. Both my kids have an iPod touch, but neither have a cell phone so they don't have a number to use. I'd also like to go with an app that doesn't constantly have in-app pop ups to purchase more services since it will be used by a 10 and 6 year old.

Any input is appreciated
Thanks
gb

[quote name='Cigarl']There are several free or cheap apps out there for texting. Does anyone have a favorite one? I've heard that some of them require a cell phone number and other programs randomly generate a number for you to use. Both my kids have an iPod touch, but neither have a cell phone so they don't have a number to use. I'd also like to go with an app that doesn't constantly have in-app pop ups to purchase more services since it will be used by a 10 and 6 year old.

Any input is appreciated
Thanks
gb[/QUOTE]

I too would to find a texting program that does not require a Cell(or atleast a cell with texting).

[quote name='Blade3D']Streamtome does music and video.[/QUOTE]

Love streamtome. Totally worth the $3 I spent on it. Guy is good about updates to the server and client.

[quote name='Cigarl']There are several free or cheap apps out there for texting. Does anyone have a favorite one? I've heard that some of them require a cell phone number and other programs randomly generate a number for you to use. Both my kids have an iPod touch, but neither have a cell phone so they don't have a number to use. I'd also like to go with an app that doesn't constantly have in-app pop ups to purchase more services since it will be used by a 10 and 6 year old. [/QUOTE]

Have you tried Google Voice? My son has an iPod touch and we've texted with him before. It even has push notifications.

[quote name='crunchewy']Grabbed Slingo Supreme - thanks for the heads up!

Also, the update for League of Evil that restores your progress in the original levels was released yesterday and works as advertised.

I also have to confess that I'm a tad addicted to the silly game Zombie Farm, but it might get me in trouble some day... must harvest zombies... before they wither... in the middle of a meeting. >8-o[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up on the update. Now I can say I did this:
scaled.php

Only 3000 deaths... :drool:

CrazyControl 2 is $0.99
http://itunes.apple.com/app/crazycontrol-2/id405686396?mt=8

Introduction:
- CrazyControl 2 is unlike any of the existing side scrolling games that you’ve seen, or played, before.
- Imagine an energetic, challenging and exciting game with multiple characters under your control.
- CrazyControl 2 starts with two characters running side-by-side, with the number of characters multiplying until a maximum of six characters must be controlled by a player at once.
- This game is challenging and as such demands the full attention of new players. But after a player perfects their skills and clears the final stage, they can easily chat on messenger and talk on the phone, at the same time.

Been waiting for a drop on this one since it released, and they just added achievements last week

[quote name='Cigarl']There are several free or cheap apps out there for texting. Does anyone have a favorite one? I've heard that some of them require a cell phone number and other programs randomly generate a number for you to use. Both my kids have an iPod touch, but neither have a cell phone so they don't have a number to use. I'd also like to go with an app that doesn't constantly have in-app pop ups to purchase more services since it will be used by a 10 and 6 year old.

Any input is appreciated
Thanks
gb[/QUOTE]

I use text free. You pick a number and use that. I know text free with voice was free when I got it, it may or may not still be. I was given 10 free voice minutes, that I will not use. If you just want texting you can just get text free.

edit: I use this on my iphone. I didn't think it made sense to purchase a texting package for a minimum $5 a month when I could do it for free when I already had to buy a data package. It works just fine for me. I think it would be perfect for a kid who has wifi access.

Captain Puzzle is FREE again for those who missed out on its last one-day price drop (http://itunes.apple.com/app/captain-puzzle/id406622350?mt=8).
"Work your way through this thrilling match 3 puzzle game and retrieve the stolen stars before it’s too late. The star-powered metropolis has been invaded by villains, and its inhabitants are in dire need of Captain Puzzle’s help. The mischievous thieves plan to use the stars’ powers to take over the world and only Captain Puzzle can stop them now!"

Thanks for the Ants info!

Captain Puzzle is awesome for those interested though I havent had my progress tracked in Gamecenter(Openfeint works fine) for those that care

Still worth a download just may want to hold off on progressing far into it

[quote name='Dimsdale']Slingo Supreme is one of the new FAAD featured games right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slingo-supreme/id385160897?mt=8).
"Slingo is the addictive and fun combination of SLOTS and BINGO!
With Slingo Supreme, we really wanted to pull out all the stops and make the ultimate Slingo game that would be a flagship product for all the Slingo fans. Slingo Supreme is the game that we've always wanted to play on our iPhones, it is the most polished, full-featured Slingo game ever."
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on this. I had never heard of Slingo before, even though it's apparently been around for years - there's even a DS version out. Picked this up this morning and I'm having way more fun with it than I expected. Not exactly a ton of depth there, but the games are short enough and the unlockables are spaced apart just enough to keep me playing.

In for Captain Puzzle, then. Thanks for the heads up.

Maybe the ants "game" will be more fun once I'm somewhere where I can hear to the sound. :) I'll try it again later.

I bought Slingo a month or two ago for $1 or $2 and I got a lot of use out of that game. It's a really good FAAD and far better than most.

[quote name='crunchewy']Nicely done dubfoolio. I'm nowhere close to that yet. Does that include the impossible levels too?[/QUOTE] yep :lol:

New Infinity Blade coming soon...they also quoted:

"It's so easy to make these content updates, and at least we've decided we're going to give our content away for free," he added. "So when you initially buy the game for $5.99 you know we're going to continue to give you content, so we still have lots of content we're building to support Infinity Blade."

So, yet another comment on them not dropping the price since all of their add on content will be free. Can't wait to sink some more time into this game. :D

Link: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/01/infinity-blade-update-coming-very-very-soon-chair-still-has/

[quote name='MSI Magus']Surprised there is not more discussion of the Ipad 2 announcement tomorrow![/QUOTE]

That's because this isn't the place to discuss it. There is a another topic set up to talk about stuff like that. This topic is for deals on apps only. We would like to keep it that way too.

[quote name='mujahid9']mad skills motocross - free
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mad-skills-motocross/id410229362?mt=8[/QUOTE]
FAAD has been putting up some highly decent freebies lately. I love this one. I paid a buck for it a while ago and was really pleased with it. Download it; you won't be sorry.

Speaking of FAAD, Groove Pillars is another title being featured right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/groove-pillars/id417992529?mt=8).
"Collect precious gems, harvest juicy fruits or gather Christmas toys in this visually stunning and highly addictive puzzle game. Master your logic and strategic skills to earn much of extra score. Enjoy fun and easy yet challenging time-racing or relaxing gameplay.
Groove Pillars is a highly satisfying and enjoyable action of delightful gem smashing and tasty fruit squashing! Possess and unleash the ultimate power of destruction of your inner self!"

Farm it!
is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/farm-it/id393100008?mt=8).
"The last hope of the chicken population lies with the Young Rooster, a real hero. So this Young Rooster puts on a bow-tie and rushes to help maintain balance in the world.
Help it visit four countries located in different corners of the world, go through tough ordeals, outwit the Polecat, annoying Skunk and other animals, dodge the angry Dog and the Old Rooster, cheer up all hens and make as many chickens as possible!"
✭---Attention! Farm it! supports only iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4th gen. and all iPod Touch 3rd gen devices except 8GB model!---✭

Putki is also FREE for a very limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/putki/id398905661?mt=8#).
"Putki is a fun little reaction based tunnel game. In a nutshell, all you do is fly through a never ending tunnel and dodge the oncoming obstacles. This is strictly an accelerometer based game so you wont be needing all your fingers for those pesky virtual buttons. As you fly down the tunnel the game treats you to a bit of a psychedelic overload all while blasting out a thumping techno beat."

EDIT: Back to regular price.

Sailboat Championship on sale today only for 99 cents. (march 1) so time running out.
Lowest price ever for the HD version I believe.

I really think it's fun.

iPad version:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sailboat-championship-pro/id360142956?mt=8

iPhone version:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sailboat-championship-pro/id360142956?mt=8

Pics!

http://i.imgur.com/aqz7J.png
http://i.imgur.com/IZeqH.png
http://i.imgur.com/Lxcu7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qrtUs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0FETz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! Almost immediately after it is said that Infinity will not drop in price, it drops to half price (picked it up by the way).

That's how the app store goes.

Wow. I really didn't think IB would ever drop in price. If anything, I figured it'd go the route of increasing the price, before dropping back down to $5.99. So glad I didn't give in and pick it up this weekend - downloading it now.

Both this and Battleheart in the span of a week - it's been a good week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back