iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

Oh man! I've only ever spent more than $1 on PvZ. I am pretty sure Infinity Blade will EVENTUALLY hit $1 but I don't know if I want to wait that long...

[quote name='eliter1']Oh man! I've only ever spent more than $1 on PvZ. I am pretty sure Infinity Blade will EVENTUALLY hit $1 but I don't know if I want to wait that long...[/QUOTE]
What's the aversion to a few bucks?

Pretty sure Infinity Blade is worth $3, hehe. I've spent more than $1 on a PvZ, Mirror's Edge, and Space Miner. Even though some of them dropped to $1 later, I don't really regret it. Awesome games.

Picked up Infinity Blade, since I saw the link at Slickdeals forums. Awesome! (Now, please drop too, Cave shmups Espgaluda II & Dodonpachi Resurrection... *crosses fingers*)

[quote name='dallow']What's the aversion to a few bucks?[/QUOTE]

Two-Dollars.jpg

Went ahead and bought Infinity Blade for $3 and I can tell I am going to be playing this a lot... Beat a couple of bloodlines and I am hooked.

What's up with all the haters regarding the Infinity Blade update 1.1? Lots of
1* reviews recently regarding Promised update and also switch to in-app purchases. Is this why they did price drop?

I edited my post to include an important word I left out -- PROMISED update. It seems that some are PO'ed about some new update that developer has been talking about. Also, how does in-app gold purchases affect game? Is it just a way for junior to use daddy's credit card to finish game more quickly?

Where do you guys find these deals? Is there a site you use to help keep track of Ipad sales or anything? Also what does FAAD stand for?

In for Infinity Blade at $3 and Mad Skills Motocross for free. Thanks for the heads up... and so much for IB never dropping! :)

IB is especially nice as I'm likely going to be pre-ordering an iPad 2 today. Just a matter of deciding on which model to get once they are announced. Not sure if I'm going to get a 3G or WiFi model. Hmm.

I see infinity blade is a universl game. How does it look on the iPad? It is stretched out and fuzzy like some of the other universal games?

[quote name='Shimrra']I have a feeling it will be sometime before that game hits .99 so I had to jump on Infinity Blade.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Also, and I know this is blasphemy on CAG, I'm alright with spending the extra $2

[quote name='jimbach13']I see infinity blade is a universl game. How does it look on the iPad? It is stretched out and fuzzy like some of the other universal games?[/QUOTE]
It's beautiful on the iPad. The idea behind universal apps is that behind the scenes the core code is (mostly) the same but the interface and graphics are customized for both iPhone and iPad. This means that if the developer did his/her job right, the app will look amazing on all devices.

I'm actually liking Stupid Zombies more than I thought I would! It has a Fragger feel, and incorporates ricochet physics. I know that it was free a few days ago, not sure if still gratis -- but still worth it at $0.99.

I really think these updates on Apps are screwing with the purchase model for Apps. People feel developers have to update their apps every so often even when their apps are only .99 cents and god forbid they try to charge another .99 cents or sell any type of in app purchases because the negative reviews begin to surface. When peggle started selling Peggle Nights for .99 cents as an in app purchase people went on an outcry. Really! .99 cents for a bunch of levels! GTFO. Sure it's nice to get new levels or items in a game once in a while but when you pay .99 cents for some of these games don't go and feel entitled for a lifetime worth of updates, especially for free.

[quote name='eliter1']I really think these updates on Apps are screwing with the purchase model for Apps. People feel developers have to update their apps every so often even when their apps are only .99 cents and god forbid they try to charge another .99 cents or sell any type of in app purchases because the negative reviews begin to surface. When peggle started selling Peggle Nights for .99 cents as an in app purchase people went on an outcry. Really! .99 cents for a bunch of levels! GTFO. Sure it's nice to get new levels or items in a game once in a while but when you pay .99 cents for some of these games don't go and feel entitled for a lifetime worth of updates, especially for free.[/QUOTE]

My friends who are app developers get around this by releasing updates as new apps. This allows you to charge for the update and also puts you back in the new/top apps lists. Apparently lots of people are willing to pay for updates. I think it's the small vocal minority that expects lots of free updates.

[quote name='callmesteam']Slingo is ruining my life.[/QUOTE]

Slingo was ruining my life too, then I bought Infinity Blade it ruined my life and the life of my offspring and the life of his as well .... now my phone is charging ... again ... and I can't wait to kill off more of my lineage. They need to make this for PS3, with move and 3D support!!! :drool:

[quote name='crunchewy']IB is especially nice as I'm likely going to be pre-ordering an iPad 2 today. Just a matter of deciding on which model to get once they are announced. Not sure if I'm going to get a 3G or WiFi model. Hmm.[/QUOTE]

Same here... I'm hoping the 32gb drops to $500 but we'll find out in an hour or so.

I'm sticking with the Wifi one since I'll just be using it around the house. I can use the android phone for when I'm out and about or stuck in an airport. Not to mention I can tether wifi to it if needed. The $130 extra plus the monthly $15 kill the 3G for me.

Well I finally got around to playing Hot Springs Story. I have to say that I am enjoying it.

It isn't a similar experience to Game Dev Story at all, other than UI/graphical style.

I love that this is more geared towards a kind of Tycoon (rollercoaster, prison, zoo, etc...) kind of game. Building up the spa is very satisfying and seeing people come in and stay and make money had much more of a impact on me than making ANOTHER Game of the Year in Game Dev Story (which I found to be WAY too easy). Another cool feature I haven't gotten to experience in depth too much yet is the target market feature. I like that you can target specific types of people (house wife, business man, student, etc...) and they have different budgets for your place as well as different side effect bonuses. Students advertise for you, business men give better items, and business women keep your customers in the spa longer.

This game is extremely difficult at first unfortunately. They don't explain shit in the tutorials. I went through 1 year of play before I really caught on to the proper strategy. At that point I had to start over because I was only breaking even every month between income/repairs.

This is a very fun game and I recommend it to any sim fan. It is difficult at first, so if you don't use any guides, you might have to start over once or twice, but that's ok.

Totally bought Infinity Blade for $3. They said it would not drop. They said Epic would never go lower. But they were wrong. Just goes to show you. Wait a few months and EVERY iOS game will drop, if only for a little while.

Dead Space by EA, your move.

[quote name='TheSummoner207']It seems like infinity blade is $2.99! That's bs!
But lucky you guys![/QUOTE]
must get to wifi! Hope the sale lasts through tonight.

Also I've been playing Slingo.... I don't get it. It seems like my fate is determined when I start each game. So far there is virtually no strategy. I suppose this is the case for slot machines and bingo as well.

I think Infinity Blade is going to be on sale until March 6 to celebrate the update Infinity Blade: The Deathless Kings
I'm never going to get iOS game unless it's on sale or free!

Awesome. I was going to buy Hot Springs Story at full price, but the Infinity Blade deal snaked my cash first. It sounds fun, but it also sounds like I can wait until it gets an update/price drop.

[quote name='illennium']My friends who are app developers get around this by releasing updates as new apps. This allows you to charge for the update and also puts you back in the new/top apps lists. Apparently lots of people are willing to pay for updates. I think it's the small vocal minority that expects lots of free updates.[/QUOTE]

True but then we see things like Angry Birds Seasons and Doodle Jump Xmas edition. I understand the developers side but when these apps were released people were giving them a lot of negative reviews. I guess some people were just born to be a-holes.

I'm really tired of hearing about infinity blade at this point.

I've had this on my wish list for a while:

Cyber Dodge - Free

App Store

I feel bad but I'm so hesitant to spend any money on an open feint game because they all go free sooner than later.

Buy IB already. 3$ is a steal. I got it when it first came out and played hours and hours on it. I got the lvl 45 achievement and the blood line achievement too. I have all but a handful of the achievements for it and cant wait for the update. Especially for new gear as I am maxed with the best atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back