iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

I am going to hold on to the update because I feel like I will miss some of the stuff that's already out if I get the extra stuff.

[quote name='bbedwards']I just caved on IB. $3 for a game with this kind of depth? No brainer, even for this CAG[/QUOTE]

Depth? I think that's the wrong word. It's fun, and pretty, but there's not much depth to it. That said, I think it's worth $3. Glad I didn't spend $6 on it though, although in all honesty, it'll probably get at least $6 worth of game play out of me.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Can anyone recommend a good racing game for the iPhone? I have the iPhone 4 if it makes a difference.[/QUOTE]

Real Racing 2. Closest thing to Gran Turismo on your iphone, and looks amazing on a retina display.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Can anyone recommend a good racing game for the iPhone? I have the iPhone 4 if it makes a difference.[/QUOTE]

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, I love that game!

I like the Need for Speed titles. They're a lot more arcade-y than a sim racer but I do enough driving in real life. I don't need to re-live the experience on my phone, too.

EDIT: Zoinks! I just tried to download the IB update and was promptly informed that I don't have enough free space. How big is this sucker? I know it adds new levels and upgrades but I'm pretty sure I have a couple of gigs free. Oh well, looks like I'll be clearing off some precious memories and putting those home movies back into iPhoto when I get home tonight. When are they coming out with a 64GB phone dangit. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mindcycle']Awesome! Updating now.[/QUOTE]

Am i the only one getting his ass handed to him with the new update? I restarted to bloodline 1 since after 3 hits you die lol.

Dang, bought IB last night for $5.99, wish I could get my $3 back to buy other apps with.

[quote name='eliter1']I am going to hold on to the update because I feel like I will miss some of the stuff that's already out if I get the extra stuff.[/QUOTE]

No reason not to update as the new content is totally integrated into the game. It plays the same but there are more places to go.

Also: Real Racing 2 is amazing, for iOS racing get it. It might seem expensive but it rivals racing games on almost every other platform in terms of quality.

Crazy UFO is the latest FAAD featured game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crazy-ufo/id406358003?mt=8).
"Become an Alien, visiting the Earth. Everything will be very unfamiliar, and you will have to research on this savage, uncivilized and very dangerous territory. The locals will be opposing you, due to their ignorance and primal misbelieves, uncapable of understanding the greatness of your mission. Primitive weapons of earthlings, severe weather conditions and sometimes unpredictable behavior of the animals, that don't like to be studied, will be trying to prevent you from reaching your goal - but nothing can stop a real researcher."

Gamebox+ is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/gamebox/id408845482?mt=8).
"No more zillion-in-one apps that charge you upfront only to discover being full of crappy stuff AFTER you paid for the download.
Our (+) stands for only those fun, colorful (and sometimes weird) games in the pack. We keep pushing to deliver better and better games for you to play and you pay when you like.
Sounds good? Support us so we can have some beerrr...ehm.. milk and cookies while we push pixels and hack the code.. - click some ad, become premium user or buy something from the app once in a while.. thanks! :)"

[quote name='TheSummoner207']Was the Infinity Blade update suppose to let redistribute your skill points again?[/QUOTE]
I believe they wanted to make you aware of it...now you can redo your skill points for 100,000 gold.

[quote name='zeb06']I believe they wanted to make you aware of it...now you can redo your skill points for 100,000 gold.[/QUOTE]

O ok thank you for the answer.

Require the Infinity Blade (People actually grind THAT much cash?) to get to the last area in the extra dungeon, can infinite loop the last room of the extra dungeon by going down and up and down and up from the elevator room, annoying forced respec on update which cost me a fight against the final boss dude before I realized why I was swinging a nerf bat. FIFTY dollar in app purchases.

Nothing major, but this update annoys me for all the little $$$$ling issues and for how little it really does. A couple of reskins and one or two new fights, where the trick is MORE unblockable unparryable kicks. Hooray?

I liked IB, but this doesn't exactly justify the added bloat.

[quote name='Vader582']Might have to buy IB to hold onto until I replace my 3G.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking of doing, especially with the ipad2 announcement.

Think IB will be lower anytime soon?

Considering it JUST dropped by 50%, I very much doubt it'll drop again anytime soon.

Edit: 50% sale ends March 6.

Anyone got a recommendation for an app/method that "fixes" stuck pixels? Not dead pixels, they're just stuck. iPod 2G and 3G if that matters.

I haven't bought the Infinity Blade so I can't access that one are yet but I have only encountered one enemy that I think wasn't there before. The guy with the two swords, everyone else is just a skin. I bought the game today and I already got past level 30. I played during all 3 of my classes today...

^LOL, and you weren't even sure about getting it before. I saw your achievements on GameCenter and I was like "...WTF. And I thought I had been playing a lot." Ahaha.

Slingo is also addictive as hell. I played that in class today, heh. Gosh dangit, these ipod games are distracting. I need to cut myself off.

To get back to sales, a few Donut Games (games) went free today. Check out: Rat on the Run, Cows in Space, and Urban Ninja. Donut Games usually makes fun little time-wasters.
Urban Ninja seems to be the most highly rated of the three: http://itunes.apple.com/app/urban-ninja/id394716128?mt=8

[quote name='PrarieD0G']^LOL, and you weren't even sure about getting it before. I saw your achievements on GameCenter and I was like "...WTF." Ahaha.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this game is definitely worth the $6 asking price! I went to game center and thought I was going to be ranked lower than people on my friends list and I am butchering them...:lol: I really need to put it down and go to sleep right now:roll:

A bunch of HD games are currently FREE for all you iPad and soon-to-be-iPad gamers (all links stolen from TouchArcade):

Dinosaur Hunter HD

Price Drop
$1.99 -> Free

Ann's Barbecue Stalls HD

Price Drop
$1.99 -> Free

A Delivery Train HD

Price Drop
$1.99 -> Free

Ace Golf 3D HD

Price Drop
$1.99 -> Free

3D Shuffle-Board HD

Price Drop
$1.99 -> Free

Bowling 3D HD

Price Drop
$1.99 -> Free

Plus, a Universal app for the rest of us:
One Infinite Tunnel (http://itunes.apple.com/app/one-infinite-tunnel/id415713043?mt=8)
"Deep in unexplored space, you’re spaceships controls brake down while exploring a massive underground tunnel complex. With just one engine working to control your tilt, how long can you survive before you smash into the hard rock?
One Infinite Tunnel features gorgeous 3D graphics, “one button” controls and, well, One Infinite Tunnel. Compete against the world on Game Center and OpenFeint."

And Nostradamus The Last Prophecy - Part 1 has dropped to FREE for the first time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/nostradamus-the-last-prophecy/id408850488?mt=8).
"Defeat the last prophecy of Nostradamus!
1566 – Salon de Provence – France
When Catherine de’ Medici asked Nostradamus to put a stop to a curse hanging over the Royal family, the tired, sick astrologist had no choice but to send his daughter in his place.
This marks the start of a disturbing investigation for Madeleine, where political plots and mystical prophecies are strangely entwined…
Either as herself or disguised as a man, as circumstances dictate, the young woman unravels the threads of a dark mystery that, gradually, reveals an unusual destiny."

[quote name='8bitlover']Fun with Death just went free.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/fun-with-death/id403378511?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Fun with Death HD is also free and is universal, so no reason to get Fun with Death instead:

http://appshopper.com/games/fun-with-death-hd

Also, Mappy was released last night. I like that game (haven't tried the iOS version). In addition to the classic game there's a new mode. Also has Gamecenter for leaderboards and achievements. $2.99: http://appshopper.com/games/mappy-by-namco

[quote name='ryosnk']I love double dragon but I'll wait for a price drop. It looks decent though.[/QUOTE]

Me too, $4 for a special intro price seems high. I think Streets of Rage is still $.99 might want to go with that one instead until DD drops.

[quote name='jacknicklson']This is the Demon Hunter Magus is speaking of since there are several. But this one is always free. Seems they changed the app at some point to make it an IAP at some point, at least according to pissed off reviewers

http://itunes.apple.com/app/demon-hunter-full-version/id414422701?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Bah sorry I thought I included a link. On an off topic note, finally got an Ipad of my own! Hell possibly two since after buying the one on Amazon I tried to cancel my ebay bid just to realize it was at under 12 hours(so you can not cancel).

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Someone should show Cheapy the name of this one haha. (Long-time listeners of the CAGcast know what I'm talking about). :lol:[/QUOTE]
It's not a coincidence. This is a remake of the game he was referencing. The first game I got with my NES... best Christmas evar.

Jeff Minter's new game, Minotron: 2112 is out for $1.99. I only tried it once, but I have to say, these controls are going to take some getting use to. I loved Minotaur Rescue, but this one I'm less sure about. Hopefully I get the hang of the controls. The main problem is that it takes whatever finger you put on the screen first as your movement control, and then the second as shooting. The idea is you move around with one finger, while swiping to change the direction of firing with the other. That's actually a great idea... until you lift your moving finger off the screen. Insta-death, because then it instantly decides that your other finger (if it's on the screen) is your movement finger. Hmm.

I wish he'd just had an option for which side of the screen was for moving, and then it stuck with that. The idea that you might want to change that mid-game would only seem useful to the ambidextrous. I'm not that.

In any case, here it is:

http://appshopper.com/games/minotron-2112

[quote name='crunchewy']Jeff Minter's new game, Minotron: 2112 is out for $1.99. I only tried it once, but I have to say, these controls are going to take some getting use to. I loved Minotaur Rescue, but this one I'm less sure about. Hopefully I get the hang of the controls. The main problem is that it takes whatever finger you put on the screen first as your movement control, and then the second as shooting. The idea is you move around with one finger, while swiping to change the direction of firing with the other. That's actually a great idea... until you lift your moving finger off the screen. Insta-death, because then it instantly decides that your other finger (if it's on the screen) is your movement finger. Hmm.

I wish he'd just had an option for which side of the screen was for moving, and then it stuck with that. The idea that you might want to change that mid-game would only seem useful to the ambidextrous. I'm not that.

In any case, here it is:

http://appshopper.com/games/minotron-2112[/QUOTE]

That game looks awful...

It's 2600 style. It's Minter. The game is growing on me, which I guess was true of the previous game, Minotaur Rescue as well. Still, right now I'd pick the latter over the former. Minotaur Rescue is a must-buy. Awesome game. Maybe Minotron: 2112 will get there for me. Remains to be seen.

Across Age, a well-reviewed oldschool action-RPG by FDG Entertainment (the Bobby Carrot/Beyond Ynth/Cover Orange guys), just dropped to $0.99.

[quote name='Citizen GKar']Across Age, a well-reviewed oldschool action-RPG by FDG Entertainment (the Bobby Carrot/Beyond Ynth/Cover Orange guys), just dropped to $0.99.[/QUOTE]

Ipad version is $3.00 AND WOWIE WOW WOW! If that aint a Zelda rip off I dont know what is!

[quote name='jacknicklson']http://itunes.apple.com/app/doubledragon/id419495028?mt=8

Double Dragon released today. They say the $4 is a special intro price, anyone wanna try it out for us?

:)[/QUOTE]

Just finished the first stage of this game and let me say that I don't think its worth the $4. For starters there are some typos in the beginning, graphics don't look that great and the story they tried to implement looks kinda lame. However, being a DD fan I would recommend it at .99 cents. They did change the levels and the enemies a bit so at least it doesn't look like you're playing the same game. Between this remake and the Advanced version on the Gameboy, I would have to give it to the Gameboy version.

[quote name='Darknuke']That game looks awful...[/QUOTE]

When will Jeff Minter realize that people like playing games that not only play well, but aren't prone to inducing epileptic seizures? Every game he's created in recent history has been a complete fucking eyesore.

So point of clarification on Across Age ... so there's a standard version, a DX version and an iPad version.

Obviously the iPad version only runs on the iPad but how does it compare to the DX version that is made for the retina display? The DX version will also run on the iPad and I'm just curious if a retina display optimized game looks better than a standard iPad game. I'm guessing it doesn't because it's optimized for a smaller screen, even though it has a higher dpi than an iPad game, which is actually optimized for the iPad's larger screen?

Yeah, I know that was confusing ... but as a soon to be iPad owner, I grabbed the ipad version but was curious if there is any benefit to playing retina games on an iPad vs their standard iphone optimized cousins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back