iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

AirDrop PRO is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"Based on the famous air delivery service, AirDrop Pro is the ultimate test of skill. A truly addicting game that tests your ability for timing, anticipation and accuracy as you try to successfully parachute cargo onto targets. But beware – the wind conditions, multiple targets sizes and other changing conditions make this challenge harder than it looks!
To play AirDrop Pro, check the wind speed and direction, anticipate the throw forward from the plane and drop your cargo. You can adjust your drop by tilting your iPhone or iPod Touch to the left or right to hit the targets. Land closer to the target center to gain more points. As the game progresses, the target sizes get smaller, the planes get faster and more targets are added. Be sure to land the parachutes on the same color targets! Additionally, you can gain lives by completing a perfect round."

Apparently Sega is giving all proceeds from the sale of any Sonic iOS game this week to Red Cross for japan. Sonic 1, 2 & 4 and Spinball. All prices for then have been reduced too. That will get me to buy one of them, I think. Any thoughts on which plays best?

This week, all proceeds from Sonic and Football Manager iOS titles to be donated to the Red Cross disaster relief efforts in Japan

Here's the sale prices:

Sonic Spinball $0.99
Sonic 1 $1.99
Sonic 2 $2.99
Sonic 4 $3.99

If you like pinball Sonic Spinball is good and works well with the iPad and iPod, I like it. Thanks Chrunchewy, I'm going to get one too now for sure. Do you know when the sale is going to end?

Poker Invaders just went to free and so far it's awesome. The title sums it up on game play.
http://appshopper.com/games/poker-invaders

Last edited by a moderator:
Crystal Dash HD for iPad and iPhone is free. Also the developer has most of their games for free for a limited time.

I'll vote for a sub-forum for this DLC thread (could include droid as well). It will allow better for better bumping of more popular, or at least more talked about deals. I can't sift through 5 pages every day to piece together what people here recommend.

[quote name='ianoid']I'll vote for a sub-forum for this DLC thread (could include droid as well). It will allow better for better bumping of more popular, or at least more talked about deals. I can't sift through 5 pages every day to piece together what people here recommend.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Are you talking about a subforum for discussing games/recommendations? What does that have to do with DLC? Anyway, if that's what you are talking about, I'd be for that. Rather, I really wish we had a "Mobile Gaming" forum, possibly with sub-forums for iOS/Android/WP7.

Piyo Blocks 2 HD has dropped to 99 cents (from $2.99):

http://appshopper.com/games/piyo-blocks-2-hd

Cro-Mag Rally (universal) has dropped to 99 cents:

http://appshopper.com/games/cro-mag-rally

I still can't decide which sonic game to get. I'm leaning toward Sonic 1. Sonic Spinball isn't too appealing - I don't usually like non-realistic video game pinball games much, or at all. The big problem I see with Sonic 1 (or 2) is that apparently it doesn't have a save state, and I really doubt I'm going to sit down and play the game to it's finish in one sitting (I don't know if it supports fast app switching, but that doesn't help once the game is unloaded from memory anyway. So maybe I'll get 4 for that reason, but I'm not crazy about that on the Wii, so not sure why I'd get it for the iPhone.

[quote name='arcane93']I'm always suspicious of games with so many in-app purchase options attached to them. Can you actually play it reasonably for free, or do you need to buy a bunch of "add-ons" to be able to make it through?[/QUOTE]

As I said I am 2 or 3 hours in and I did not even have a clue there were in app purchases. Maybe you get hit with them later on, but for now I have had dozens of quests available at any given moment, am leveling up at a good speed, have like 15-20 skills I can invest in and I am finding lots of new weapon plans(you build weapons vs buy them in this game).

Decided to throw caution to the wind and bought Sonic 1. I only played it briefly, but it doesn't seem to play too bad. I'm not having any big troubles with the controls so far. There is a "Continue" option, but I don't yet know if it saves the state, as opposed to just supporting fast app switching (it *does* support that). It has the option for full screen and non-fullscreen views. I'm not sure yet if the full screen view is stretched or if it's cropped, but I'll probably play it small size so it's like the original and so my fingers don't obscure the play area. It's definitely cool that they are giving the proceeds to japan's recovery.

The anime shmup Blazing Arc – Magical Shooting Game is currently available for FREE.
"Blazing Arc plays like the Big guy Manic shooter, Bullet hell, shmup games from Japan, but for only .99 cents! Help the young witch "Blaze" on an exciting adventure in this intense arcade style bullet hell shooting game with the help of Arc, a spirit trapped in a magic lantern who was sent to help Blaze find her mother, who happens to live hundreds of years in the past. You must blast your way through this intense arcade style shootem-up game and travel back in time to learn your fate. "

[quote name='crunchewy']Decided to throw caution to the wind and bought Sonic 1. I only played it briefly, but it doesn't seem to play too bad. I'm not having any big troubles with the controls so far. There is a "Continue" option, but I don't yet know if it saves the state, as opposed to just supporting fast app switching (it *does* support that). It has the option for full screen and non-fullscreen views. I'm not sure yet if the full screen view is stretched or if it's cropped, but I'll probably play it small size so it's like the original and so my fingers don't obscure the play area. It's definitely cool that they are giving the proceeds to japan's recovery.[/QUOTE]

I decided to get the first one as well, it works fine on the iPad. I don't know if this is going to help or not but I got a code from reading reviews of a 10 year old about 200 reviews in.

Level select: up, down, left, right, A, then hit new game.

[quote name='artego']5pb is also running a fundraiser, they dropped the price of one of their games, Memories Off 6 for a limited time from $28.99 to $2.99 until March 31st. Note that the full game is in Japanese though.

The full amount of the proceeds will go to the Japan Red Cross, which means it'll definitely go where intended.

[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I picked it up. Nice find! :D

[quote name='artego']5pb is also running a fundraiser, they dropped the price of one of their games, Memories Off 6 for a limited time from $28.99 to $2.99 until March 31st. Note that the full game is in Japanese though.

The full amount of the proceeds will go to the Japan Red Cross, which means it'll definitely go where intended.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memories-off-6-t-wave/id394025657?mt=8#[/QUOTE]

a game that costs $28.99 on iPhone? That's possible? wtf... The screens they showed don't exactly scream "I'm worth even $2.99" lol.

^ The fact that it's 1.8 GB may demonstrate it isn't a typical iPhone game.
And according to AppShopper, it's normally priced at $18.99.
Of course, it's not like they went through the trouble of localizing it. ;)

[quote name='ViolentLee']^ The fact that it's 1.8 GB may demonstrate it isn't a typical iPhone game.
And according to AppShopper, it's normally priced at $18.99.
Of course, it's not like they went through the trouble of localizing it. ;)[/QUOTE]

Localization isn't THAT expensive. Definitely doesn't condone a $18.99 pricetag. Look at Chaos Rings. That game has some real effort put into it and doesn't cost $18.99. I read up on the game and all it is is a Japanese Romance Visual Novel. No visual novel should cost that much, even one with well-drawn art.

Plus, as far as I know, this wasn't localized to English anyway, if what that other guy said was right...

It is a game that originally sold on the Xbox 360 for $59.99, so yes, it does make sense why it's $18.99 on the App Store.

Whether it's worth that to you or not is each person's own decision.

And yes, it's full Japanese, but if you like this style of things $2.99 for a game and giving support to the Japan Red Cross (which will actually use the money for Japan, unlike donations to the American Red Cross) is worth it.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Bought it. I suck at fighting games, but since all the sales (until 3/22) are going to the Red Cross, I decided to get it. Those that haven't should too! It's for a good cause! :cool:[/QUOTE]

Haha I already bought it earlier.

But I donated to the Japanese Red Cross through Google Checkout. And I encourage anyone else who has some money to spare to do so too. Especially if you enjoy videogames made in Japan.

Edit: I found this on the TiPD forums.

http://www.gamesontheipad.com/games/deals/all-ipad-games.php

Alot of games listed there, some mentioned here some not. For example, We Thieves HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Laughing Man']Haha I already bought it earlier.

But I donated to the Japanese Red Cross through Google Checkout. And I encourage anyone else who has some money to spare to do so too. Especially if you enjoy videogames made in Japan.

Alot of games listed there, some mentioned here some not. For example, We Thieves HD.[/QUOTE]

You can also donate through paypal

Been playing Wild Frontier for 2 days straight now. Just can't put it down. Has the addicting parts of monster hunter on the iPhone. Thank you to whoever suggested it!

[quote name='Laughing Man']Haha I already bought it earlier.

Alot of games listed there, some mentioned here some not. For example, We Thieves HD.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for going off topic but, I wanted to link you guys to Google Checkout for those who may have be interested in donating to the Japanese Red Cross: http://www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.html

More on topic: props to Capcom for making all proceeds go to Japan. I just bought SFIV for that reason alone. Props to 5pb for doing the same thing. I'm tempted to buy it despite not being able to understand it. Maybe they'll update it and add translations (that's really what I'm hoping for if I buy it). Kinda always wanted a visual novel on my iPhone. Now if only it was actually in English so I could play it.

Blockade – Interstellar Cargo Transport and Navigation is currently available for FREE.
"The mighty crime Syndicate needs a navigator to manage ships transporting cargo and passengers in the quarantined Angelhill sector, and you're it!
Space ship captains will rely on you to safely guide their ships in and out of the sector.
Load the ships. Leave the area through a jump gate. It's simple.
Or is it? Watch out for cops, mines, asteroids, malfunctioning equipment and secret weapons!"

New FAAD games include:
Uber Racer 3D – Sandstorm "Are you tired of playing racing games that confine you to a single track you are not supposed to leave? Do you want to break free from unrealistic racing games? Do you want the possibilities and graphics you know from your console or PC on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad?
Well, then Uber Racer 3D - Sandstorm is just for you!
In a world where mankind is burning its final resources a few fearless warriors race for the last drops of oil. Will you stand up to become the next Uber Racer?"

Crazy Harbor
"Crazy Harbor is an addictive, high-concentration game. It entertains you with detailed, colorful graphics and funny sounds, making the game appealing to all ages. Crazy Harbor extends to you 40 levels of pure entertainment.
You must envision yourself in a port. You are in charge of loading your ship only with the most valuable content. Use dynamite, wind and magnets to avoid carrying any unwanted containers on your boat. Make sure to keep your valuables out of the water. With only 20 seconds to strategize, Crazy Harbor will challenge your mind, offering 40 levels for you to prove your ability and effectiveness. A Jenga-inspired puzzle game, where physics have the center role."

Tap Tap Bar "Quick! Deliver drinks to the customers before time runs out!
Build your fortune and unlock bars from all over the world.
Tap Tap bar is a brand new casual game that is highly
recommended to all fans of fast paced puzzle games.
This game is SIMPLE and FUN. You play a bartender as you
race the clock to deliver drinks and collect tips."

[quote name='Dimsdale']The anime shmup Blazing Arc – Magical Shooting Game is currently available for FREE.
"Blazing Arc plays like the Big guy Manic shooter, Bullet hell, shmup games from Japan, but for only .99 cents! Help the young witch "Blaze" on an exciting adventure in this intense arcade style bullet hell shooting game with the help of Arc, a spirit trapped in a magic lantern who was sent to help Blaze find her mother, who happens to live hundreds of years in the past. You must blast your way through this intense arcade style shootem-up game and travel back in time to learn your fate. "[/QUOTE]

Argh, of course I didn't check this website yesterday. I can't even justify the $1 price now...

[quote name='KeyserSoze81']Argh, of course I didn't check this website yesterday. I can't even justify the $1 price now...[/QUOTE]

That's weird, I just got it for free an hour ago.

[quote name='encendido5']That's weird, I just got it for free an hour ago.[/QUOTE]

Bummer, I missed it too. Would you mind posting your impressions? I don't expect Cave quality, but is it fun for $.99?

[quote name='Relysis']Bummer, I missed it too. Would you mind posting your impressions? I don't expect Cave quality, but is it fun for $.99?[/QUOTE]

If you're into shooters, I think you'll like it. I've only played through the first level and stopped but I'll definitely be going back to it. It isn't crazy difficult but there are some challenging parts. I wish it had upgradeable weapons though.

[quote name='RoboPhish']Been playing Wild Frontier for 2 days straight now. Just can't put it down. Has the addicting parts of monster hunter on the iPhone. Thank you to whoever suggested it![/QUOTE]

I started playing it last night and, yes, it's fun. It's got that same look and feel as Queens Crown and such, and that's not a good thing IMHO - controls feel floaty or something and everything is so tiny - but this one is more addicting for sure due to the collecting/hunting aspect. Mind you, I haven't gotten far in it yet, but it's good so far. It seems to be a port of a Japanese PC game, but I'm not sure about that. There's a few places I've come across where there's still some untranslated Japanese text and I've seen a screenshot from somebody else where the game asked you to press "5", but nothing that seems to be important so far.

I wish it was universal or there were a version for iPad. It seems like this game would benefit from a larger display.

[quote name='Kush']Can someone tell me the difference between Galcon and Galcon Labs...[/QUOTE]

I have both and I played the first a fair bit, but not the second. Right now I can't remember what the difference is. Labs is the newer one and they have some different modes, but I'm afraid I couldn't tell you what differences there are as it's been quite a while. It is a fun game, but I doubt you really need both of them. I didn't.

EDIT: having said that, I'm considering buying Galcon Fusion for the iPad, so I guess I'll end up with 3 versions, but I can seeing getting back into this game on the bigger screen. EDIT2: and I bought it. Looking forward to jumping back into it come 3 to 4 weeks from now when I finally get my iPad. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back