iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

All of the virtual instrument apps from moocowmusic are currently on sale right now. Guitarist, Bassist, Organist and Band are .99 (some for the first time ever), while Pianist is $1.99. I included the link for moocow so you can check out video clips of the apps in action. I must admit, they're pretty slick. Even though I already have several guitar apps (as well as dozens of the real things), I'm probably going to pick up Guitarist and one or two of the others. They seem pretty darn robust and feature-packed for a paltry .99 investment.

Have any of the Cave shmups ever been on sale? Im itching for some shmup action on my iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='abhinav']I've heard a lot of good things about Dungeon Raid, anyone recommend it? Does it go on sale often?[/QUOTE]
I still enjoy Dungeon Raid. It's kind of a one-trick pony, but it's a fairly entertaining trick. There's a big update that's been submitted to the App Store so it may or may not go back on sale soon. I picked it up when it was .99 and can honestly say that it was worth my dollar.

[quote name='Dimsdale']I still enjoy Dungeon Raid. It's kind of a one-trick pony, but it's a fairly entertaining trick. There's a big update that's been submitted to the App Store so it may or may not go back on sale soon. I picked it up when it was .99 and can honestly say that it was worth my dollar.[/QUOTE]

It gets about 30 minutes from me a day and is currently my favorite game. It seems like it has a lot more to do with luck than skill but choosing the right skills and magic to suit your playing style is a lot of fun and it's just addictive. For $1, it's well worth it.

[quote name='Dimsdale']I still enjoy Dungeon Raid. It's kind of a one-trick pony, but it's a fairly entertaining trick. There's a big update that's been submitted to the App Store so it may or may not go back on sale soon. I picked it up when it was .99 and can honestly say that it was worth my dollar.[/QUOTE]

How do you know when an update is pending?

Arcade Classic
From App Shopper:
***SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY LAUNCH PRICE - for a limited time only!***
99 cents
Tapper World Tour
"IT’S BACK… AND BETTER THAN EVER!"
Tapper, the beloved 1980’s arcade classic, makes its long awaited debut in an all-new version made exclusively for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad! In Tapper World Tour, you’ll serve drinks to an eccentric cast of characters across a variety of outlandish locations. With a brand new story line, stunning graphics, challenging gameplay, and animations from the legendary Don Bluth, it’s up to you…SERVE OR BE SERVED!

[quote name='jacknicklson']It gets stale fast but you might be into it

It just doesnt really have any depth and is more of a runner/rpg/match game than anything

You can check appshopper for price drop history guys, great site

http://appshopper.com/games/dungeon-raid[/QUOTE]

That looks like a great bathroom break game - my main time for iphone gaming. :) Thanks for the suggestion... I added it to my appshopper wishlist and will definitely pick it up next time the price drops.

[quote name='jacknicklson']How do you know when an update is pending?[/QUOTE]

toucharcade had a story about it;

http://toucharcade.com/2011/03/14/dungeon-raid-getting-bigger-with-1-3-update/

I probably own every puzzle game worth having on the iphon/ipad. I held out buying dungeon raid for a long time b/c I was turned off by the simplistic graphics. When I finally got around to buying it, my initial impression was that it was a fun game, but that there just wasnt much to it...and then I became obsessed with it. There is only one mode(endless) in the current build, but I absolutely love it. It has become one of my favorite all time puzzle games, along with the likes of Bejeweled, Sparkle, Azkend, and PQ. The update sounds like it will make it a much more substantial game too.

[quote name='ryosnk']Have any of the Cave shmups ever been on sale? Im itching for some shmup action on my iPhone.[/QUOTE]

Not so far, except intro price. The good news is Deathsmiles is coming out (when, I don't know) and will surely get the intro pricing.

I'm also not really a fan of Dungeon Raid. It's well done but a bit dull. I figure I'll go back to it at some point, but so far some point hasn't happened.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Bought it. I suck at fighting games, but since all the sales (until 3/22) are going to the Red Cross, I decided to get it. Those that haven't should too! It's for a good cause! :cool:[/QUOTE]

I hate fighting games and I'll probably never play this, but I didn't hesitate to buy it to support our gaming brothers and sisters in japan. Everyone download the game NOW!!!

[quote name='mm2barry']I hate fighting games and I'll probably never play this, but I didn't hesitate to buy it to support our gaming brothers and sisters in japan. Everyone download the game NOW!!![/QUOTE]

If you don't like fighting games the Sonic games are still on sale.

[quote name='mm2barry']I hate fighting games and I'll probably never play this, but I didn't hesitate to buy it to support our gaming brothers and sisters in japan. Everyone download the game NOW!!![/QUOTE]
Well, if that's the case, you can buy Memories Off 6 too!

I'm quite impressed with SFIV. I could never get into the console/pc version as I always felt I had no idea what I was doing, but the extensive training on the ios port coupled with the dumbed down special move option is great! plus money goes to relief, so win/win.

People that don't like Dungeon Raid probably just suck at it.

Haha, kidding kidding. I still go back to it frequently though. Solid game, especially fun if you're trying to beat scores from your friends on GameCenter. I'm glad that achievements are going to be added soon.

I really think its one of those games that you have to play a long time to really appreciate. It has some subtleties that take a while to pick up. You also have to really like going for high scores, as it only has one mode.

I got Galcon Fusion today and got destroyed online but I had a lot of fun playing, I was impressed how you could play against people playing the Mac version. It was also cool that you could chat during battles and talk smack. It was a good time and well worth the dollar.

Update: you also play with PC players online. Someone said the iPhone version allows you to play alongside Android players.

Thanks JP

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']Not so far, except intro price. The good news is Deathsmiles is coming out (when, I don't know) and will surely get the intro pricing.

I'm also not really a fan of Dungeon Raid. It's well done but a bit dull. I figure I'll go back to it at some point, but so far some point hasn't happened.[/QUOTE]

I can't wait for deathsmiles.

Heard real good things about Kira Kira, especially the music. If you want a pretty solid visual novel, that's probably a sure bet.

[quote name='artego']And to add another one to the list, Kira Kira is $4.99 too, and all procedes go to Japan Red Cross. The game is in English!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id330628336?mt=8[/QUOTE]

BOUGHT. So fast. I wasn't even aware that there was translated visual novel up on the app store. Thanks for sharing this. The fact that it goes to Japan Red Cross is even better.

Blocks Mania Premium leads the list of new FAAD games.
"Introducing Blocks Mania! A revolutionary puzzle game that features 2 graphical themes! ( Doodle & Pixel Art ). Get your crazy block to the exit point by sliding your finger in the desired direction.
Blocks Mania features over 90 levels of addictive fun. Each level has multiple ways to complete so you can have fun even longer!"

Crazy Stork is another FAAD feature right now.
"Just help the stork walk for as long as possible while feed it with fishes and crabs.
Its the best possible time pass for all ages and can be played anywhere,anytime .You will love the cool graphics and soothing music and enjoy playing this addicting game all the time."

Not to be outdone by a psychotic bird, Crazy Harbor is also a FAAD freebie.
"Crazy Harbor is an addictive, high-concentration game. It entertains you with detailed, colorful graphics and funny sounds, making the game appealing to all ages. Crazy Harbor extends to you 40 levels of pure entertainment.
You must envision yourself in a port. You are in charge of loading your ship only with the most valuable content. Use dynamite, wind and magnets to avoid carrying any unwanted containers on your boat. Make sure to keep your valuables out of the water. With only 20 seconds to strategize, Crazy Harbor will challenge your mind, offering 40 levels for you to prove your ability and effectiveness. A Jenga-inspired puzzle game, where physics have the center role."

Splat It!
is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"Splat It! is a puzzle solving game that brings you hours of fun. Along with your puzzle solving skills it will also challenge your reaction times.
It starts with simple levels and slowly builds up to quite tricky levels. The levels are designed such that it keeps you entertained throughout by introducing new balls with unique abilities, helpful items and devious obstacles.
Splat It! has an exciting scoring system which will bring out the perfectionist in you when you try to achieve gold, silver or bronze medals for each level."

Cafe Tycoon has quickly dropped from its intro price to FREE.
"Build and decorate your own dream pocket cafe to show off to your friends on iPhone/iPod touch. Learn dozens of new recipes as you level up to make sure your customers are happy and well-fed. Hire your friends to work for you and help each other daily to keep your cafe running well. With hundreds of stunning decorations like door, floor, furniture, paint, sculpture, plant TV and even HiFi the only limit is your imagination.
Build Your Own Restaurant Today and Be the Tycoon of Catering Industry Tomorrow!"

[quote name='artego']And to add another one to the list, Kira Kira is $4.99 too, and all procedes go to Japan Red Cross. The game is in English!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id330628336?mt=8[/QUOTE]

All for charity...

Frequent/Intense Sexual Content or Nudity
Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence

Wait a minute, just how intense is this game?

[quote name='salty tbone']I want my sexual content or nudity one way, and one way only. Frequent and Intense.[/QUOTE]

QFT. I just installed it on my phone (total size after installation:1.18 gb) but haven't had a chance to play it. I'll probably give it a go during the weekend between studies. I'll post up an impression if no one else has by that time.

Just a warning though, if you search for it, there's another app called Kira Kira (different symbol in the middle - I forget what it is, but it's the one that isn't a star) that's also a visual novel and is also the same price. Different company, different characters, also in English, but the main difference is that it isn't one doing the donation.

In for Kira Kira too since it's for a good cause. This will be my first visual novel. I read a review that said all the hentai(nude) scenes were taken out, which helps make it less awkward/flow better, and makes this the definitive version to own. Source

[quote name='o0achilles0o']Osmos For iPad is on sale for 1 day only for $.99 - this is the cheapest it's ever been.[/QUOTE]

You rock ... thank you ... finally, a decent deal on this board ;) (heh, no offense to all the anime story / shooter fans out there that have been hogging the app spotlight lately)

Have it on Steam and it seems like it will translate well to iPad!

Can anyone recommend Quickoffice Mobile Suite for iPad? I noticed it's on sale for 40% off, at $14.99 down from $24.99 but I also know it's been on sale since release for that price (so it's kind of a fake sale ;) )

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id376212724

Is anyone familiar with this app? I see that some reviewers prefer it over Documents to Go and I like the fact that it offers Powerpoint and Excel file editing on the ipad. Can someone convince me to go one way or the other, as I picked up Pages today but being a PC owner, I realize I'll probably need one of the two other programs I mentioned above.

As always, thank you in advance for the advice!

Gravity Gambit HD, a Universal app, has dropped to FREE for a limited time.
"Slingshot your escape from the Black Hole's deadly grasp. Use gravity to help Floorp, while avoiding the dangers of space.
Don't let down your Guard! The space around you is constantly being dragged towards its demise.
Hazards in Gravit Gambit:
** Pulsars
** Spacemines
** Exploding Planets
** And more, will hinder your escape!
Compete for High Scores globally on Game Center.
Retina Display Ready!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back