iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='atregglypuff']Anyone know if the Legendary Wars people plan on making this app universal, or will they release a separate ipad version?

I googled this and found a press release from the devs that says "We can’t wait to bring Legendary Wars to the iPad platform in the coming weeks.” which doesn't really answer my question but I just KNOW that I'm going to buy the iphone version for my ipad only to have to rebuy a new version again in a few weeks for full price, because that's just my luck :([/QUOTE]

There isn't a definite answer to this but it sounds to me like it will be a separate release. I just wish they would upscale retina games to iPad. I don't know why they don't.

Looks like 2Dboy didn't manage to get World of Goo (iPhone) released in March like they were suggesting they would try to do on their blog.

Woe is me.

On rolando, do you have to sign up for a plus account to play? I couldn't find a way to cancel out of it. I got the game when it came out since best buy was giving codes out for free, but never played it.

A quick thanks to Crunc and everyone else who posted about snagging a free code to unlock Pilot Winds. I, too, was able to get a code from the Touch Arcade contest and I've been enjoying the game a lot more this second time around. Developer seems like a really decent guy, too. Thanks again, fellow CAGs. You guys keep fueling my iOS addiction . . . and I couldn't be more pleased.

BTW, the DLC for Capcom Arcade is supposedly on sale for .99 each right now (down from $2.99 each). They've just added Final Fight and 1943 to go along with the Street Fighters, 1942, and other retro classics you can play in this virtual arcade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just reinstalled Capcom Arcade and Final Fight is awesome but it wouldn't let me buy it or 1942, and the other games still show up as $2.99. You get 3 tickets every time you install the game but I would probably buy the games for $.99. Games look and play good on the iPad even though it not a universal app. Hope it goes on sale.

I have to give props to Namco and Gaijan games. I bought Bit.Trip Beat when it first came out for iPhone. I recently bought an iPad, and found they also make a HD version, or more specifically, two HD versions.

I emailed them explaining I'd be happy to buy it again if they could tell me which HD version I should get. First I emailed Gaijan who mentioned that Namco picked up the game, so I emailed Namco. They quickly replied with answers to my questions.

The reason I'm amazed is not only were they nice and helpful, but they responded within a day, and all this for a game that only cost $1.

By the way, the best version to get is Bit.Trip Blitz because it is universal. The DL is free for the first level, and there is DLC for the full game ($1) and Void levels DLC ($1).

[quote name='encendido5']On rolando, do you have to sign up for a plus account to play? I couldn't find a way to cancel out of it. I got the game when it came out since best buy was giving codes out for free, but never played it.[/QUOTE]

One of the things noted about the new update, at least for Rolando 1, is that you can opt out of signing into Plus+.

[quote name='pROvIs']There isn't a definite answer to this but it sounds to me like it will be a separate release. I just wish they would upscale retina games to iPad. I don't know why they don't.[/QUOTE]

Look at Android. It has < 50 actually optimized for tablets apps. I've read as few as 12, but I don't know the numbers for sure. I suspect, though obviously don't know, that one of the reasons is Honeycomb upscales their retina equivalent graphics. Most devs are happy to just live with such blown-up apps, blown-up controls and not utilizing tablet-specific features, and call it a day, especially since relatively few Android users have tablets. It's the same situation with iOS - far more people have iPhones and iPod touches, and so by not doing that in iOS, devs are given incentive to make actual iPad optimized apps because the 2x scaled up ones are so clearly unappealing and devs can't just call it a day if they want to tap that market. Anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ;) :)

FYI, if you jailbreak you can use a jailbreak hack that will use the retina graphics on the iPad. In a way that's better because you can take advantage of it without de-incentiving devs from optimizing their apps for the iPad. Downside obviously is that you have to jailbreak.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Looks like 2Dboy didn't manage to get World of Goo (iPhone) released in March like they were suggesting they would try to do on their blog.

Woe is me.[/QUOTE]

Well Apple does require a submission process that could take a few weeks so maybe they got caught up there.

Awesome new app from Blizzard that lets you transmute your old boring apps into new and exciting ones!

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/horadrapp/

You have quite a treasure there in that Horadric Cube app! Using this app, you can transform and recombine any number of other apps you drag into it. Use the Cube's transmute power, and the Cube's Horadric magic will change the existing apps into a new, potentially more powerful app. But beware! A terrible fate awaits those who do not heed the warnings contained within the ancient scrolls. You must not attempt to drag the cube into itself! No good can come of it! Seek out the disclaimer (section 2) for further information.

;)

Twitter removed that godawful "trends bar" in their latest app update. Yeah! Nice that the dev is listening.

Cartoon Wars 2: Heroes seems to be well reviewed and has dropped to 99 cents (from $1.99):

http://appshopper.com/games/cartoon-wars-2-heroes

Though I find it "funny" that it shouts 66% off when it dropped 50% in price. It's never been higher then $1.99. It's not really my type of game anyway.

[quote name='Stimes']For anyone interested the Capcom Arcade in app purchase sale is working now. I'm getting at least a couple of them.[/QUOTE]

I'm redownloading it. For some reason it's now called "FinalFight@Capcom Arcade". Confusing. It does seem to be Capcom Arcade as it has all the in-app purchase options according to the listing.

EDIT: seems to play pretty well. 1943 plays great, but I'm not sure if I want to buy it. Ditto for Final Fight. That plays well, but not sure if it's worth 99 cents to me.

[quote name='Cimpy101']Awesome new app from Blizzard that lets you transmute your old boring apps into new and exciting ones!

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/horadrapp/

You have quite a treasure there in that Horadric Cube app! Using this app, you can transform and recombine any number of other apps you drag into it. Use the Cube's transmute power, and the Cube's Horadric magic will change the existing apps into a new, potentially more powerful app. But beware! A terrible fate awaits those who do not heed the warnings contained within the ancient scrolls. You must not attempt to drag the cube into itself! No good can come of it! Seek out the disclaimer (section 2) for further information.

;)[/QUOTE]
:applause:

Assuming it's not an april fools joke Gangstar: Miami Vindication will be dropping down to 0.99 soon so don't buy it at full price.

[quote name='jason506']Assuming it's not an april fools joke Gangstar: Miami Vindication will be dropping down to 0.99 soon so don't buy it at full price.[/QUOTE]

I hope it's not a joke. I want it!

after looking at some trailers didn't like the faux 3D of Rolando 2 bought the first one hopefully it replaces Loco Roco for me since my PSP died i can't play it

[quote name='crunchewy']Of course he was right, though. Four posts in a row? Ever heard of the Edit button? It's pretty miraculous. It actually let's you, umm, edit your post. Wow!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know. I'm on my new iPad and it was kinda awkward posting the links. Sorry duders.

If you want an on-rails shooter that has almost nothing whatsoever in common with MGS except the name, then you'll want to snag Metal Gear Solid Touch while it's on sale for .99.
"Created with the concept of allowing users to “touch" upon the world of MGS, “METAL GEAR SOLID TOUCH” is based on the world of “METAL GEAR SOLID 4 GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS.” Intuitive touch-shooting controls fully utilize the iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad interface.
Players who may be new to the MGS series and even those who may not excel at games can jump right in and enjoy themselves thanks to the intuitive touch controls."

Just got the iPad 2 HDMI adapter in. Love the full screen videos. Any games currently supporting full screen? The few I tried only played in a little box on the tv.

The makers of the Fighting Fantasy gamebook apps and some other stuff apparently went on a bender and slashed all their stuff to 99 cents. This is a great time to stock up on the Fighting Fantasy books.

That said, they're old school classic gamebooks and thus are filled with Gygaxian bullcrap all day. They're still fun, but if you want some REAL quality gamebooks, Gamebook Adventures. Every single one of those has been a blast and worth all $5 they charge. They don't go on sales very often, though, sadly.

[quote name='RollingSkull']The makers of the Fighting Fantasy gamebook apps and some other stuff apparently went on a bender and slashed all their stuff to 99 cents. This is a great time to stock up on the Fighting Fantasy books.

That said, they're old school classic gamebooks and thus are filled with Gygaxian bullcrap all day. They're still fun, but if you want some REAL quality gamebooks, Gamebook Adventures. Every single one of those has been a blast and worth all $5 they charge. They don't go on sales very often, though, sadly.[/QUOTE]

Looks like it's the same dev as burn the rope. The hd version of that is on sale for 2.99

[quote name='BREVITY']Thanks. I was thinking Real Racing 2 did. I hoped for infinity blade or one of the super high end graphics ones. Chopper 2 is cool and fun though.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully in the future more developers will start using video out and supporting a second device as a controller. Right now I think it's pretty new technology and there's not many games. If I find more I will post, if you find any more games that support this please share thanks.

[quote name='mcdaking84']I really want to buy salem but I have bought so many apps lately. Really looks amazing[/QUOTE]

Ya i dunno, still new to appstore, the whole in game purchase stuff is kind of a turn off for me. Idk...

[quote name='crunchewy']Of course he was right, though. Four posts in a row? Ever heard of the Edit button? It's pretty miraculous. It actually let's you, umm, edit your post. Wow!

9 Innings Pro Baseball is free this weekend only. Down from $4.99. It's universal:

http://appshopper.com/games/9-innings-pro-baseball-2011[/QUOTE]

love how on 3/31 the app price went from .99 to 4.99. Then on 4/1 it went from 4.99 to free....marketing at its best.

Got Salem Witch Trial Game, & played through the first puzzle. It's another hidden object game with a story thrown in. High production values, good music and graphics, definitely worth a buck if you like hidden object games.

Thanks for the rec on Salem Witch Trials. It also seems to have good reviews, so I bought a copy for myself and copy for my Mom. Alas, neither of us can play it yet! :)

Also, sorry about being fooled on the 9 Innings Pro Baseball price. I was duped! I still picked it up for free and it seems to have good reviews. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

[quote name='laseractive']The paid version of Drop7 is free this weekend. Pretty solid puzzle game and its universal.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/drop7-by-zynga/id425245634?mt=8[/QUOTE]

I can't recommend this enough. I've had drop 7 for 2 years now and It's the only iOS game I regularly come back to. Hardcore mode is pretty much a perfect mobile puzzle game.

If you want to check it out, this is what they adapted it from.

http://chainfactor.com/

Worth every penny at $2.99 and there's no reason not to have this for free.

[quote name='crunchewy']Thanks for the rec on Salem Witch Trials. It also seems to have good reviews, so I bought a copy for myself and copy for my Mom. Alas, neither of us can play it yet! :)

Also, sorry about being fooled on the 9 Innings Pro Baseball price. I was duped! I still picked it up for free and it seems to have good reviews. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.[/QUOTE]

A few of the reviewers commented that you had to buy in app purchases to finish the game. I know you just got it but have you ran into it?

I love Zuma/Luxor type games, has anyone played the two on Ipad? Are they any good? I picked up sparkle for free the other day and thats been satisfying my urge for the time being.

Also for those who haven't played it, I love Everyday: Square Logic on PC. Don't know how it translates to PC but its a great Sudoku style puzzle game with way more content than you will ever use. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/everyday-genius-squarelogic/id402288610?mt=8

[quote name='pROvIs']A few of the reviewers commented that you had to buy in app purchases to finish the game. I know you just got it but have you ran into it[/QUOTE]

I won't have an iPad until it's shipped and delivered, which is currently estimated as the 14th. I'm wondering if they aren't talking about the "collectors edition" DLC which gives, among other things, a strategy guide. hopefully it doesn't force the need for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back