iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='pROvIs']Checked my receipt and it was free. You must have just missed it.[/QUOTE]

Damnit! I must have missed it by all of a few minutes too....sigh, most annoying thing is that I saw the sale and ignored it for an hour or two while I did other stuff! Ah well as I said in a previous post, I cant argue with paying $1 for whats supposed to be a quality game.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Puzzle Quest 2 Retina Display update is finally out[/QUOTE]

Is it any good on iOS, in particular the iPad? I thought about buying it but the reviews were so mixed.

I am guilty of buying it but not trying it yet. I was gonna play on my ipad but I really dont use it much but now I am gonna fire it up on my iphone today at lunch

[quote name='pROvIs']Is it any good on iOS, in particular the iPad? I thought about buying it but the reviews were so mixed.[/QUOTE]

I was a huge fan of PQ so I thought PQ2 was a no brainier. I bought the Steam version during a sale and must say I really did not care for it. They changes to the game made things take far too long and just made playing the game feel needlessly time consuming and complicated.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I was a huge fan of PQ so I thought PQ2 was a no brainier. I bought the Steam version during a sale and must say I really did not care for it. They changes to the game made things take far too long and just made playing the game feel needlessly time consuming and complicated.[/QUOTE]

I have it on steam as well and maybe even 360 (don't remember), and I never played it but the iPad feels just right for it. I loved the first but my favorite is PQ Galactrix.

[quote name='pROvIs']I have it on steam as well and maybe even 360 (don't remember), and I never played it but the iPad feels just right for it. I loved the first but my favorite is PQ Galactrix.[/QUOTE]

Heh you are in a super minority there :)

Chalk 'n Talk is a new game from Gamevil. Seems to be an online Pictionary type game, but enhanced painting. I'm "Crunc" on there, but haven't actually tried it yet. It's free with ads, and in-app purchases to remove ads (99 cents) and to buy other stuff, all done with "flowers", which are what you buy, then put toward those other things. I'm not really sure yet what all the other stuff is. It looks like things like other types of painting tools, canvases and such. Anyway, I downloaded it and will try it later.

http://appshopper.com/games/chalk-n-talk

Strangely does not seem to be universal and no iPad version in sight. Seems like an obvious candidate for the iPad, so that is definitely odd. Maybe an iPad version or universal update will be coming? Hopefully universal.

[quote name='crunchewy']Chalk 'n Talk is a new game from Gamevil. Seems to be an online Pictionary type game, but enhanced painting. I'm "Crunc" on there, but haven't actually tried it yet. It's free with ads, and in-app purchases to remove ads (99 cents) and to buy other stuff, all done with "flowers", which are what you buy, then put toward those other things. I'm not really sure yet what all the other stuff is. It looks like things like other types of painting tools, canvases and such. Anyway, I downloaded it and will try it later.

http://appshopper.com/games/chalk-n-talk

Strangely does not seem to be universal and no iPad version in sight. Seems like an obvious candidate for the iPad, so that is definitely odd. Maybe an iPad version or universal update will be coming? Hopefully universal.[/QUOTE]
There's a universal app called Depict that seems like the same idea but with simple pixel art: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/depict/id340772215?mt=8

I got it for free a long time ago, now it's $.99. A lot of fun, highly recommend it.

[quote name='crunchewy']Those of you who've been holding out on the Cave games are in luck. 1st anniversary sale starts tomorrow:

http://www.cave-world.com/en/sp/1stanniversary-sale/

Dodonpachi Resurrection will be $4.99
Mushihimesama Bug Panic will be $0.99
Espgaluda II is the OpenFeint Fire Sale app starting tomorrow - vote to drop the price in the OpenFeint Game Channel app

All proceeds during the sale from Mushihimesama Bug Panic will go toward Japan earthquake/tsunami relief[/QUOTE]
Yessss!!! Finally, Espgaluda II will be mine. Oh, yes it will. . .vote people!

Oh, and for all you lucky iPad owners out there, Panopticon is currently available for FREE.
"The Panopticon has control of the Great Machines and over the minds of men. Join the fight to bring down the Panopticon and free humanity from slavery to the machines.
Panopticon provides a unique gameplay experience that uses the full capabilities of the iPad's multitouch display- control disks by using up to eight fingers at once to complete 100 levels that are both mental and physical challenges. Experience a whole new way to use your iPad.
Steampunk-inspired environments and music by acclaimed steampunk band "Vernian Process" create an engaging experience."

Ok, Chalk 'n Talk is great. Really a lot of fun and I like that you can challenge friends and they get a notification so they can jump in right away if they're available. At least I think that's how it works. Also the gallery is a cute idea. Make your best artwork and put it out for voting. I'm not sure I'll be putting any of my "artwork" out there. Ok, there is one thing I put in the gallery. You should check it out. If you get the game, I'm user "Crunc". Add me. Vote for me!

Oh, and while the game is fun, the ads are simply the most incredibly obnoxious ads ever. No, really. But then that's the idea. It's 99 cents to remove them. I'll probably do it. Still can't understand why there's no native iPad version, though (better, universal). Maybe that's coming.

Also I'm in for Panopticon... for my iPad... which is arriving today! At least 10 days early and I didn't even know about it until a few hours ago! :)

[quote name='mang9432']too bad only the iphone version is on sale :([/QUOTE]

this iphone version on ipad isn't bad at all at 2x - just played 10 or so levels and it brings back memories!

[quote name='crunchewy']Mushihimesama Bug Panic will be $0.99

All proceeds during the sale from Mushihimesama Bug Panic will go toward Japan earthquake/tsunami relief[/QUOTE]
Shame they're using an utterly awful game to pitch for the Japan relief. Bug Panic was a total disappointment.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Shame they're using an utterly awful game to pitch for the Japan relief. Bug Panic was a total disappointment.[/QUOTE]
Why, if I may ask? The screens and description actually sound like fun, so I am wondering if there was something horrible with the way it plays or some bugs or something that would prevent my enjoyment.

(If you just don't like it because of taste, then it's okay, I won't listen. :))

[quote name='artego']Why, if I may ask? The screens and description actually sound like fun, so I am wondering if there was something horrible with the way it plays or some bugs or something that would prevent my enjoyment.

(If you just don't like it because of taste, then it's okay, I won't listen. :))[/QUOTE]

The virtual d-pad doesn't work for the bullet hell they try and the bullet hell is too sparse. Levels are dull as hell and you have to literally walk on every pixel of them to find the magic step that opens secret paths if you're going for completionism. Charge+Lock On bombs is a GREAT change to the twin stick genre but it still doesn't save the game.

Try the demo. Or just buy it. I've bought worse for $1.

Just got an iPad 64gb at Verizon for 500, iPad apps are a lot more expensive XD. Anyone have any must own apps? I have a ton for my iPhone..

Bird Strike – Gold Edition is the new FAAD main feature.
"Launch Gerald the Bird into the air at high velocity and see how high he can go!
Collect rockets and pick-ups to help him soar higher and avoid obstacles that would stop his ascent.
Eventually though, what goes up, must come down...."

Pocket Sailor is also being highlighted by FAAD.
"Welcome there sailor. Ready to relax and embrace the calming sounds of the sea? Tough luck!
This harbor is home to the worst captains in the world and it's your duty to make sure everyone stays afloat.
We believe you got what it takes to keep those ships sailing. Give us a finger and guide the ships to safety."

Emross War is another FAAD selection right now.
"Emross War is a free massively-multiplayer strategy game (mmo). It takes only 3 minutes to learn, and is extremely fun!
The story happens in Emross, the land of Myth and Legend, which has been under wars among Human, Elf, and Orc since very ancient time. Now with the invasion of Chaos Army, the situations are becoming even more complex...
You will start as a young Lord inheriting a small castle from your family. As you gradually develop and march your way to victory, you will have chance to meet and recruit many different legend heroes, and be able to summon the most powerful guardian creature of your own race!
And you are NOT fighting alone. You and friends can build a very powerful alliance; make it a dominant presence in Emross; and finally defeat the Chaos and restore order to the land!"

Wave – Against every BEAT! is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Wave - Against Every Beat! Immerse yourself in an intense shooter where the beats and rhythm of your own music create the enemies and action around you."

Killing Zone is being showcased on the Free App Calendar at the moment.
"Killing Zone is a survival zombie themed game that you have to take on missions where you will need to kill, rescue, and protect.
You play as Special Ops Agent, Max Shields the world’s most fearless man in the world.
Kill as many zombies as possible with different types of weapons!
Protect and rescue the humans as you guide them into the spaceships headed towards Mars!
You are the human civilization’s last hope! It’s time to enter the Killing Zone!"

[quote name='pROvIs']Is it any good on iOS, in particular the iPad? I thought about buying it but the reviews were so mixed.[/QUOTE]

I seem to be in the minority on this, but I love pq2 on my ipad. I've spent countless hours with it. I have tons of puzzle games for ios, and its among my favorites. I would also highly highly recommend dungeon raid for pq fans.

[quote name='RollingSkull']The virtual d-pad doesn't work for the bullet hell they try and the bullet hell is too sparse. Levels are dull as hell and you have to literally walk on every pixel of them to find the magic step that opens secret paths if you're going for completionism. Charge+Lock On bombs is a GREAT change to the twin stick genre but it still doesn't save the game.

Try the demo. Or just buy it. I've bought worse for $1.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I must admit, I'm lazy to get and try the demo, so I probably will just end up in for a $1 and complain about it afterwards. :lol:

Too many apps! I'm having a hard time keeping things organized. I'm downloading too much. But the iPad is pretty cool anyway.

If you are a baseball fan in the least, the MLB AtBat 2011 for iPad app is a must have. It lets you listed to and follow live all the game this year with no blackouts unless you subscribe to video broadcasts(MLB.TV) which is free through April anyways.

What are some good tower defense-esque games? I have the amazing Crystal Defenders, The Creeps, and PvsZ. Any other fantastical ones?

[quote name='mcdaking84']does anyone know of an app that will allow me to upload documents from word or onenote and view them on my iphone?[/QUOTE]

Two days late but just in case you're still watching.

Microsoft has released an official OneNote app that can load any notebooks you have stored online in SkyDrive. Here is a Guide for it:
Click Me!

Best thing, it's free!! :D Although when they first released it in January, they said that they would eventually raise the price but so far, they haven't.

[quote name='crunchewy']Those of you who've been holding out on the Cave games are in luck. 1st anniversary sale starts tomorrow:

http://www.cave-world.com/en/sp/1stanniversary-sale/

Dodonpachi Resurrection will be $4.99
Mushihimesama Bug Panic will be $0.99
Espgaluda II is the OpenFeint Fire Sale app starting tomorrow - vote to drop the price in the OpenFeint Game Channel app

Swish. Love Cave shooters. Mushihimesama Bug Panic should easily be worth a buck. What's the fire sale price for Espgaluda II? I might break my $1 rule if it's $2 or maybe even $3 since I doubt it'll ever go lower than that. Been waiting forever for that and Dodonpachi to drop but the best they've done is half off.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Just got an iPad 64gb at Verizon for 500, iPad apps are a lot more expensive XD. Anyone have any must own apps? I have a ton for my iPhone..[/QUOTE]

I've bought a couple dozen games, including most of the usual suspects (PvZ, Infinity Blade, etc.), but the game I keep going back to is Minotaur Rescue. Great Asteroids-type game for $1.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Swish. Love Cave shooters. Mushihimesama Bug Panic should easily be worth a buck. What's the fire sale price for Espgaluda II? I might break my $1 rule if it's $2 or maybe even $3 since I doubt it'll ever go lower than that. Been waiting forever for that and Dodonpachi to drop but the best they've done is half off.[/QUOTE]

The price will be $4.99. I suggest you still break your rule. >_>

[quote name='dabamus']If you are a baseball fan in the least, the MLB AtBat 2011 for iPad app is a must have. It lets you listed to and follow live all the game this year with no blackouts unless you subscribe to video broadcasts(MLB.TV) which is free through April anyways.[/QUOTE]
do you have to have a subscrtion to mlb tv to enjoy this app. Do you just get to listen to the games, I guess Im not sure what this app is about.

Star Walk has dropped to .99. This is the augmented realit app that allows you to find constellations bpointing the camera to the sky.

[quote name='vince726']do you have to have a subscrtion to mlb tv to enjoy this app. Do you just get to listen to the games, I guess Im not sure what this app is about.[/QUOTE]

I posted about this a few pages back. You don't need MLB tv to listen to the audio stream. It's included with the app. For the month of April you get the video feed for free. It's sponsored by Volvo. Love the app.

Go reds!

[quote name='jacknicklson']Dead space is $5
No thanks ea

Is espgaluda worth grabbing if I have the other cave shmup?[/QUOTE]
I think it is. But you can try the Lite version and decide for yourself.

Also, the 40-games-and-growing Gamebox 1 has dropped back down to .99.

[quote name='artego']Why, if I may ask? The screens and description actually sound like fun, so I am wondering if there was something horrible with the way it plays or some bugs or something that would prevent my enjoyment.

(If you just don't like it because of taste, then it's okay, I won't listen. :))[/QUOTE]

I think RollingSkull just doesn't like games. ;) I really like M. Bug Panic. Too bad I can never remember how to spell it. :) It's the most fun dual-stick shooter I've played, but perhaps I should note that I'm not a fan of the more typical ones. I like ones that have an adventure mode type thing, as this one does. I also liked Max Adventure. Anyway, it's a great game and a steal at 99 cents!

[quote name='woof321']I've bought a couple dozen games, including most of the usual suspects (PvZ, Infinity Blade, etc.), but the game I keep going back to is Minotaur Rescue. Great Asteroids-type game for $1.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, and it plays really fantastic on the iPad. Better then on iPhone. Also, if you like boardgames, Carcassonne and Reiner Knizia's Samurai are both must-haves. Both are pretty incredible on the iPad, especially Carcassonne, but Samurai isn't anything to scoff at either. Both are fantastic games and wonderfully optimized for the iPad. I just got my iPad yesterday, so I have a ton more to try yet, but those are standouts in the early going. I also really like Disc Drivin' HD, but wish that had landscape mode. If it did it would be 5 stars. Still a great game, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back