Iron Man 3 (Spring 2013) - Lots of News!

Jcaugustine

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
New casts revealed and their roles:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=60673

Guy Pearce to play Aldrich Killian.

guy-pearce-as-killian.jpg

Ben Kingsley will play The Mandarin.

ben-kingsley-is-probably-the-mandarin_1173.jpg

Could they not find an actual asian actor to play Mandarin? I mean Kingsley is a great actor, but he's a white brit for crying out loud. He just barely looked like Gandhi when he played that part, he doesn't even look close for this.

[quote name='Clak']Could they not find an actual asian actor to play Mandarin? I mean Kingsley is a great actor, but he's a white brit for crying out loud. He just barely looked like Gandhi when he played that part, he doesn't even look close for this.[/QUOTE]
Some people consider Indians, Asian and Kingsley is half Indian. Hell, I'm happy on the simple fact that he doesn't have a Fu Manchu stache alone.

edit: I mean it's nice that they didn't resort to a stereotype, but Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa would've been awesome. He's always typecast as the head Asian badguy, but he pulls it off so freaking well. He has great screen presence.

Part of me wonders if this was partially influenced by Chinese investment. Then again, they have Andy Lau, so I'm conflicted as hell...LOLZ

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet in the movie Iron Patriot will be a government agent. After the last film they probably tore apart the War Machine armor and copied it.

[quote name='dohdough']Some people consider Indians, Asian and Kingsley is half Indian. Hell, I'm happy on the simple fact that he doesn't have a Fu Manchu stache alone.

edit: I mean it's nice that they didn't resort to a stereotype, but Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa would've been awesome. He's always typecast as the head Asian badguy, but he pulls it off so freaking well. He has great screen presence.

Part of me wonders if this was partially influenced by Chinese investment. Then again, they have Andy Lau, so I'm conflicted as hell...LOLZ[/QUOTE]
Yeah it just seems like any number of east asian actors would have been better, but I'd guess it was Kingsley's name that they wanted. Having his weight behind the film. Then again, most people probably didn't see Bloodrayne either...

I've actualy thought of Ben Kingsley as the perfect Mandarin. He can certainly pull the role off, and the fact that he is probably more of an overshadowing villian in IM3 makes it that much more awesome, because we'll be getting him full-time IM4.

As for the Iron Patriot (by far one of the coolest, if not the coolest, Iron Man costumes ever), I'm glad the armor is making an appearance even if Osborn is locked down by Sony Pictures. It will either be a goverment agent or possibly someone stealing his Stark's tech to make a knock-off. Also, and this is a very big also, it could be Detroit Steel!

[quote name='GhostShark']I've actualy thought of Ben Kingsley as the perfect Mandarin. He can certainly pull the role off, and the fact that he is probably more of an overshadowing villian in IM3 makes it that much more awesome, because we'll be getting him full-time IM4.[/QUOTE]

I would have preferred someone who is actually Asian but what are you going to do. Plus he is short and bald, whereas the Mandarin is typically depicted as impossibly tall with long hair.

But he does have the acting chops - that I cannot deny!

Ben Kingsley WORKS as Mandarin within the movie universe of Iron Man perfectly. Mostly there already has been a Mandarin reference in the series already with Tony Stark in the first movie being kidnapped by the terrorist organization known as the 10 Rings AKA Mandarin reference. So it makes sense for him to be basically of Middle Eastern descent. That and the Mandarin in the comics has ties to Tony's origin with the shrapnel in his chest so putting a Vietnamiese man in the middle of the desert kinda makes no sense within context of the movie.

[quote name='Clak']I bet in the movie Iron Patriot will be a government agent. After the last film they probably tore apart the War Machine armor and copied it.[/QUOTE]

So there is going to be another fallout from the last movie. After IM1, the fallout was that the Government wanted the Suit turned over because they didn't trust Stark. Thanks to Roady, Hammer studied it and upgraded it. Vankov (sp?) gave Hammer his drones. Most of it was destroyed but I am sure some of it has been recovered and re-engineered. Stark's technology is already in other people's hands.

I dunno if I like this Extremis (sp?) story line... I like the idea that he needs to put the suit on and not have the suit come from his body. Makes him more human that way.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I dunno, the last guy who played him in IM1 was good.[/QUOTE]
That wasn't the Mandarin though. The 10 Rings terrorist organization WORKED for the Mandarin according to Faverau. So kinda more reason it makes sense for him not to be Asian.

bread's done
Back