Is 360 doing too much now? (may update)

snowsquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I like, wombat, like my gaming system to be a gaming system. I still haven't gone next gen yet (although I hear once you have, you can't go back!). I was planning on a 360 this summer, but with the micro-transaction fiascos, IPTV, MSN messenger, etc, etc. I feel more than even MS is trying to take over my living room. It is really turning me off getting a 360? Your thoughts?

further:

I feel that the old xbox live was adequate, and from what I read the playstation network should soon be there, and be free.

I also want HDMI. An Elite in Canada, is the same price as a PS3 20GB $550CDN (or $480USD). If sony does actually pull the 20GB, I guess I am forced back in the MS camp, as there is no way I am paying $700CDN for more hard drive space, wifi which I would never use (I know how to run cable, it is less laggy, and more reliable), and a memory card reader.

~S

TV shows are a little ridiculous (particular high def shows with the 20gig hard drive), but I've actually enjoyed the movie rentals.

The picture and sound quality is good and the d/l speeds have been very manageable (1.5 - 2 hrs on average). I wish the restrictions were a little less limiting like instead of expiring within 24 hours of the first play, allow me 2 full playbacks within a two week period. I guess it's a trade off for not having the hassle of going to the video store.

Not saying it's a perfect solution. For some movies, I really want all the DVD extras and will want to watch them again and again over the years, so a purchase is worth it. But for some movies that I have a more casual interest in, it works out fine, and the rental price is reasonable.

Probably won't ever use MSN Messenger or IPTV, though.

I don't want video marketplace and I don't want MSN messaging if it means I can't get updates to basic features. It amazes me that microsoft implements all these unnecessary features and yet they still haven't offered support for multiple 16:10 resolution or even fast-forward/rewind support for MP3s.

Also stuff like multiple-person voice and video chat, features that were in the Xbox, have been degraded for the 360, and are now being put on the backburner, or thrown out entirely for the 360 while they impliment all this crap I don't need.

MSN messaging I can understand a bit more. XBL is supposed to keep you in contact with your friends. If I can IM someone on the computer and ask them to come play with me on XBL, fantastic. That's very helpful, IMO.

Video Marketplace makes sense to be on the 360. I wish Microsoft spent their resources making good games and improving the way we play them, but they have their business plan and I think it has potential to make tons of money for them.

I dont think XboxLive is doing too much at all. Not enough in my opinion. Here in England, we dont even have the TV and Movies downloads yet. And the demo's are getting a little fewer i've noticed.

I'm still hoping for an internet browser. It's crazy to think that the Wii can manage one but the 360 cant?!

You don't have to use any of those things. You can just play games.

Let the people who do want them enjoy them.

bread's done
Back