Is a DS worth it in college?

xghostsniperx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I'm going to college in a month. I've had a DS Lite for about a year--I played it to death for the first month and then never touched it again. I think it's because I live in a smaller town where there's a lot of driving--no buses, no lines for stuff, etc.

But I'm going to Marquette University (in Milwaukee, WI) so it's a pretty average-sized city. Thing is, I STILL don't know if I'd use it all that much.

I'm thinking of selling my DS in order to put the money towards some more multiplayer based systems (Wii or PS2 games) or maybe a new iPod.

What do you guys think? Do you use yours a lot in college?

i see a lot of people around my campus using the DS lite or PSP while waiting for classes, or just waiting around in general. I personally don't though. I dunno, i've had my DS lite for a while. I play it here and there before going to bed usually or waiting for the bus before i go to campus. I say keep it. it'll come in handy i think.

im gonna be a college freshman too but i think i'll leave mine behind and play during the winter break )becuase of Zelda :) but thats it,

The DS is worth taking with you. I go tmy DS Lite the summer before heading off. :D

You can't bring a Wii or PS2 around with you everywhere.

why wouldnt you bring it? youre going to have downtime on campus, what else would you do? study? and the ds certainly isnt going to be short of games anytime soon. just buy a wii when you get your grants/loans and such. i always got me a little "gift" when i got my grant money.

Milwaukee is an average size city? I'd say it's a little above average. By quite a bit, especially when the average city is Wisconsin might have 10,000 people.

Anyway, in the year I had a DS in college I rarely played it on campus. Played it and still do play it a lot at home, but when I was on campus I always had other things to do, visiting friends, studying, checking e-mail and whatnot, getting a workout in, whatever.

I'd say keep it just because it's a great system with a lot of fun games. Not sure how great the public transportation system is in Milwaukee (or more accurately if I'd ever want to be on it) but in those situations it'd be good to have, I'm assuming students get a free bus pass at Marquette like at most colleges which is nice with gas prices being so high. On the other hand, having a Wii would be great, especially if you're living in the dorms. Perfect system to own in that kind of environment since it attracts the non-gamer. So, if you could only afford to get a Wii by getting rid of the DS, I'd say go for it.

I just picked up my DS Lite from a trade deal and I can think of several times during the last few years at college when it would've passed the time oh so sweetly.

an mp3 player will serve you waaay better in college. I brought my ds and it stayed in my drawer. used my mp3 player every day tho. its the reason im gonna get a psp soon - to listen to music/watch videos and play some games if i feel like it

A DS is all you will need in college, especially freshman year. You are going to be too busy studying if you have a hard major. Seriously, I am perfectly content just having my DS at college. The best way to go to college is to have as little as possible. You do not need a lot of stuff, trust me. You really do not need a TV and you really do not need a gaming console. If you get involved in campus activites and study daily, you will not have the time to play games. I play console video games when I go back home during breaks.

Another reason not to have a gaming console at collge is roommates.
One night, my old roommate in the dorms got totally drunk (normal occurance). Next morning, his PS2 was covered in puke and broken due to his drunk idiotic self stepping on the disc tray.

A DS is great because it has a small, clamshell design with access to over 1000 games with the GBA slot. You can protect it easier from idiotic roommates and take it with you around campus.

Im going to be Junior in college this year, and I never played my DS or PSP when I was at college. I did use my iPod constantly though, any time I had to walk somewhere and I knew I was going to be walking alone I always brought it along.

I used my DS to kill time between classes. Some of my friends even enjoyed playing my DS, several of my friends played Mario Kart and Tetris.
Also, I brought in the second Phoenix Wright game one day, and I had all of my friends guess if Max Galactica was a guy or a girl. They all guessed girl. It was so funny to see their faces when I told them Max was a guy, I had to show his profile to several of my friends because they didn't believe me. :lol:

I play my DS a lot between classes, especially chilling in the library. There will be a lot of periods of unexpected downtime and you can't spend all of it studying or you'll go insane. An MP3 player is more important(mostly if you're a podcast fanatic like myself) but a DS will serve you very well.

I know I'm alte, but I just finished my first year of college. Got the DS Lite just before spring semester. I think it was a smart choice. It's cheap (obviouslya strong consideration for most college students) and the games are cheap, it's portable (even if you aren't using it much between classes it's a helluva lot easier transporting a DS from your home town to college town and vice versa than a console with connections and everything else), and the games are great without being too demanding on your time (casual games are your friend in college). Plus, with sleep mode, it's easy to play a game and turn it off quickly without losing your game when something happens, such as when that girl you made out with at the party last night approaches you to say hi or when your teacher looks in your direction.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a console though, either, but you're probably going to be using that mainly for party games.

During my second and third years of college, I played GBA a lot between classes. Then I realized that time was much better spent studying or catching a few minutes of sleep.

Still, it's a good thing to have if you're not completely overwhelmed outside of class--I know when I was taking a World Music course, I'd fall asleep as soon as I sat down in there. After that class I was groggy as hell, but ten minutes with Mario Golf regained a little of my focus for the next one.

Just wait until you start and see if you find yourself wishing you had one.

I play mine at home most of the time (has better games than any of the consoles IMO), and rarely ever on the go.

But sounds like you'd only play yours outside the house, so just wait and see if you have a lot of down time where you would actually play it.

I have both a DS and an Mp3 player, and I am constantly using them. Scheduling college classes (especially after freshman year) can get quite spread out. I've had semesters where I would have a 90 minute break in between classes. Yes this time should usually be used for studying, but between those breaks and waiting for buses theres plenty of time for a little gaming.

Bonus if your school has campus-wide wifi like mines does.

[quote name='rlse9']Milwaukee is an average size city? I'd say it's a little above average. By quite a bit, especially when the average city is Wisconsin might have 10,000 people.[/quote]

above average, population-wise anyways...

bread's done
Back